[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

8 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

I though Meyers redeemed himself during the playoffs so unless he is part of a package, might be worth keeping. Priority has to be getting a player to complement Petey. This would elevate him and potentially solve some of the massive power play issues. Easier said than done so will be an interesting off season.

I'd let Myers walk. I think it was the second goal was a prime example. Terrible icing. 

All depends on the money and term I guess. Short term low money fine.

7 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Have you ever played hockey???

Sorry buddy, but your facts are completely wrong.  You get hit by a 260 lb guy at 25 mph X 2 you feel it... at minimum you have bruises and aches and pains for the next couple days.

You call facts wrong--but by definition a fact it is true so thanks for verifying that I'm right. You are correct, you are going to 'feel' it, in the same way that two colliding bodies 'feel' each other. It won't stop a player who's juiced up on adrenaline being paid millions and is determined to play his best. Bruises and aches don't stop anything. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hronek was a big factor in us making the playoffs.

The good news is he faded hard in the second half and likely hurt his bargaining position.

I think the bring him back at a shade over 7.

Exactly this. We haven't utilized him to his full potential either. He can be better. He played himself off the hard $8. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

But many here wanted him traded last season.  Just like many want EP gone now.  

Yup lots of short memory among fans. Theres always at least one player they want gone. And if they had it their way in the past we wouldn’t have Miller, Boeser or Garland on this team. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I really hope the stars curb stomp the Oilers. I've really done a 180 on the Oilers. I've lost all respect for them. 

Curb stomp in my mind is taking them out for a nice dinner.

I'd prefer much, much worse.

10 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Garland is a beauty… he’s got game… he didn’t quit

Well the owner of the Dallas Stars lives in Shaughnessy near Granville and 18th in Vancouver… It’s OK to cheer for the Dallas Stars because the owner is from Vancouver

Fuck Dallas. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm sad now that our season is done. Our Canucks far exceeded expectations. Well. Mine anyways, but I'm sure not just mine.

I'm interested in our summer of change now. Some much needed time off now to rest and reflect. Management has some work to do and I'm chomping at the bit to see what they do. The continuation of building a team to be a true Stanley Cup contender.

The usual bouncing of cap moneys and such will be required for sure. We'll definitely lose some key players. The roster will once again look different. With JR/PA at it, they'll get us some good players.  We all know what this team coulda' used this playoffs. Things will be addressed. 

Canuck fan till I die!

Keep 'er rollin' boys. Thanks for being there for us. 

Edited by Sativika

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

One of the most memorable seasons in Canucks history ended at 8:38 PDT, Monday, May 20, 2024. Seven months and nine days from game 1 back on October 11th, or 222 days of glorious hockey that featured 57 wins, including playoffs. And there is much to look forward to. Assuming a start date of October 15, we have 4 months and 25 days to argue about who should and shouldn't be signed or drafted, to propose all manner of conspiracy theories, to construct ideal rosters, to suggest trades and to micro-analyze everything everybody else writes. It will be interesting to see how CFF holds together in their its first off-season.

To kick off the silly season, here are 15 suggestions. Flame if you must, but discussion is preferred.

1. Trade Hronek to Utah, Anaheim, San Jose or Ottawa for two 2nd round picks. Ryan Smith has made it clear in Salt Lake that he wants to bring in good players and acknowledges they have a ton of draft picks to use as trade capital. Hronek was great before Christmas but not so much in the last half.
  2. Sign Chris Tanev (replaces Hronek). Tanev is indestructible, and Quinn worships him. Three years?
  3. Sign Nikita Zadorov (High risk to sign elsewhere for more money) Need his snarl and character.
  4. Sign Dakota Joshua (High risk to sign elsewhere for more money) Not optimistic that he'll be back because somebody is likely to dangle a big payday in front of him that Vancouver can't or won't match.
  5. Find a goal-scoring winger for Petey’s line. Candidates? Toffoli? Guentzel? Not much in the UFA pool. Maybe a trade?
  6. Try to move Mikheyev, but realize you may not be able to.
  7. Find a way to retain Lindholm and make him a top six centre with Petey on his wing. Lindholm's performance in the playoffs proved his value. The guy is a beast. This may necessitate the trading of a hefty salary. Best case scenario: Mikheyev. Bad case scenario: Garland. Worst case scenario: Boeser.
  8. Let Lafferty walk. Nice guy, fast skater, Markus Granlund vibes.
  9. Maybe trade Hoglander and replace with Raty. I like Hoglander a lot, but I think Raty may turn out to be the better offensive player. Also, Hoglander has trade value.
  10. Let Casey DeSmith walk and replace with Silovs. The kid is the real deal. Nothing seems to bother him.
  11. Sign Tyler Myers (for no more that 2.5M) Okay, Maybe $3.5M, tops.
  12. Let Mark Friedman walk (replace with McWard)
  13. Let Blueger walk (replace with Sasson) Canucks fans will be impressed with Sasson's skating, tenacity and hockey sense.
  14. Bring back Ian Cole for one more year but at a reduction to his $3M cap hit. 
  15. Assuming he has a good summer of conditioning, I'd try Lekkermaki in the top six if Vancouver is shut out of the UFA market and can't swing a trade.

Good post, but I’d keep Hogz. 
He still signed cheap for next season and has valuable experience we will need. He’ll also probably have a good year as he’s playing for his next contract. 

58 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Miller had an off night in the most important game of the season. Brock being out and having Mikehev the useless piece of shit threw him off this game.

Peterson had a strong game honestly. Was noticeable in the right ways at least. 

Management has to has to get rid of Michehev at all cost

Miller kept McDavid off the scoresheet. Considering he was missing his wingman, that's still a great game. He's hurt too, didn't practice yesterday.

Mikheyev might cost too much to get rid of. Much like Boeser and Garland last year, we may be better off just hoping he comes back stronger next year?

• Cheers 1

I just want to make sure I make a positive comment and not just critiques. 

Great season!  A lot of fun to watch after many terrible years. 

Great work by management with their pick ups in the summer and during the year.

Great work by the coaching staff. Adding NHL veteran and championship experience and gravitas to a broken team.. and an actual defensive structure

Great Season by Hughes and Demko and Miller. Hughes put on a show the entire regular season!

Great work both in regular season and playoffs by Zadorov. Solid, big and a calm with swagger. 

Great postseason from Lindholm. Showed up when it most mattered

Great bounce back and career season for Boeser and tough luck on that last game. 

Loved Garlands season right to the last game of the playoffs. Plays such a unique game and so fun to watch.. Gives it every shift. 

Great breakthrough season for Hoglander. Grab that top six spot and don't let go. Slap every team in the face with that big hog next year. 

Thank you Silovs for grabbing that moment and stepping up when needed and everyone thought the canucks were done before the playoffs even really got started.  I think you earned yourself a job next year. 

Great work by Desmith.. particularly the first half of the season. 

Good luck to management on some big decisions this summer

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

The harder Tocchet pushed the structure the worse our winning percentage got. Offensive creativity was slowly, but consistently, smothered like a babe in its crib. 

I get what he was going for. Playoffs get tough and you gotta grind it out sometimes but it fucking neutered them.

I don't agree with this either. He pushed structure hard from the moment he got here. The team looked at it's best early in the season when he preached structure constantly. The team looked predictable and lethal. Playing with that type of discipline is draining, and clearly the team burnt out by the end of the year. That doesn't mean jump ship and play pond hockey. Means solidify the ideas that got us this far and come back better next year.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Fire up the BBQ ... bring on the sun ... blankets will be dry! 😉

Oh ya lots to do , camping also 

just love watching this team… end of Sept will come around quickly 

Edited by NucksFan

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Hockey is done for me, won’t watch another game in its entirety. It’s Canucks or bust. The saddest thing about these types of losses is you really have nothing to look forward to. No draft picks, no cap space for any off season excitement. We literally have to wait another year to see where we are. 

I am excited for locker room cleanouts, free agency, and see how the kids show up in camp. Will petey gain 10-15 pounds? will Hughes get better? can we find Hughes a bigger and better rhd??? Can we add scoring? does hogz, podz, ratty, Lekk take a step? maybe elias pettersson 2.0???

I got lots to look forward 2.

4 minutes ago, andrea84 said:

You call facts wrong--but by definition a fact it is true so thanks for verifying that I'm right. You are correct, you are going to 'feel' it, in the same way that two colliding bodies 'feel' each other. It won't stop a player who's juiced up on adrenaline being paid millions and is determined to play his best. Bruises and aches don't stop anything. 

Bruises and aches are the minimum... you get hit in the wrong spot or you're not braced, you get a serious injury... you can tear a muscle easily with those kinds of impacts... you can tear ligaments, you can even break bones.