[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

17 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Hangover take: Pick players based on their ancestry. Deep stuff. 

Exactly......

What this team needs is more Slovenians....look how well that turned out for the Kings....

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Enjoy the rest of the Playoffs. 

Or, just enjoy the rest of the Summer. 

It’s done and dusted folks. 

As always, we move on. 

you too amigo, you too 🍺🏴‍☠️

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

As hard as it is to do, I think you have to give the Oilers some credit for that....for the first two periods, they were getting in the way of everything and everyone. The Canucks had very little room to maneuver...

Whether the Canucks stepped it up in the 3rd, or the Oilers lost a step, (I personally think it was a combination of the two) the Canucks finally broke through with some pressure. It was just a bit too little, too late.

I think that was clear as day to anyone with hockey experience. The Oilers were playing hardcore defence and skating at an elite level to check us all over the ice, and their forecheck was causing our immobile D to get trapped repeatedly in the zone, much like the entire series. We sat back a bit but to be honest a 0-0 tie and 4 min PP to end the first wasn't a bad result either. That's playoff hockey for you. Very hard to adjust when you're right in the middle of that mayhem.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It seems absolutely silly to be wanting to get rid of a budding superstar because he only helped us get to game 7 of the second round after 10 years of straight futility. It's just super uneducated hockey wise. These are rare opportunities few teams get and we want to throw ours away because of a real good season ... doesn't compute.

So we want to trade in Petey for ... for what lol, some draft picks and try to draft a similar player again so he'll hit in 3-5 years?

I agree....that being said, if there was an offer on the table for Brady Tkachuk straight up, I think PA would have to take a good look at that....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely right...

The last 6-8 years, as far as I remember, we have had the discussion of us having problems being cap compliant at the start of the seasons, and despite all the tears, we always ended up being cap compliant.... 

Now if Benning and his circus could manage that, I am sure the biggest front office in the NHL can do so too.... I have zero worries about that. They are always a step ahead of us the ordinary punters...

It's never a problem being cap compliant. No has ever failed at that. However, we lacked the ability to add the proper players for years, and this one is no different.  It sure showed in that last round as we simply needed more skill up front. I also have no worries about being compliant but I d worry we will lack the proper players to put us over the top.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If those numbers are real, I sign Z and Myers right now. Lindy and Honker can walk. I think DJ has earned 3 mil....

I agree

then trade Hronek for top 6 F

sign tanev 

Done 

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We don't know but I would not get into bed in a L.T. contract with a 30 y.o. That is exactly what hampered this franchise for over 13 years when the 2011 gang were all handed NTC's.   Let's not repeat history!

No NTCs clauses, but we do need to act now. This year and POs have shown us we are in our window, and we need some dogs to win. The Org has done a good job at replenishing our developmental guys, but we need some complimentary players to gel it together. Lindholm and Zad are those type of guys, so you do what you have to do.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, viking mama said:

^Green-lit & enabled by officiating ineptitude …by O’Halloran & perhaps Sutherland, I will check that … as those regular on-ice drama amplification machines tended to do…in any Game involving the lofty Canucks, an O-6 team, or their stronger divisional rivals,  for sure. 

If I recall the officials let Duncan Keith remain in that game to further insense the entire Vancouver Canucks bench & coaching staff, by assessing a measely 2 min penalty, for what the league later thought worthy of a 6-game suspension! ^This after loud, audible & targeted threats were levied from the opponents bench, prior.

It cannot be stated emphatically enough, how VERY critical fair & properly-vetted officiating crews & their deployment schedules are to the integrity of NHL games & in particular, play-offs.

This league’s most senior officials are far from their best! They appear to hold the most grudges, enact carry-over justice game to game, have publicly stated biases & clearly have fading skills. The NHLPA has to find a way to assess, rank & evaluate NHL referees in order to get the best of the best working during the play-offs & remove through black-balling - (if necessary) those referees who by strong argument have proven themselves unsuitable for assignment to a particular series or play-off round.
The NHLPA must demand this during their new CBA negotiations.

And, can we please turf Bettman by then, already ,he’s like Dracula….an immortal who will never retire???!

With gamblers/gambling money involved….the need for accountability & scrutiny in this area is critically essential. Our Canucks have suffered horribly in the past via a process that seeded extremely suspect officials, to work their play-off games. Who directly appoints the director of officiating? What gratuitous favours may be exacted, gained or implied, by such a person or body of people having this privilege? 

Stop the insanity!

Maybe a new NHL/NHLPA committee needs to be established …something called the NHL’s new Ethics Committee….for the fairness, transparency & accountability of  professionalism in the sport of NHL hockey. 

^Make it so’! 

I"m surprised the NHL didn't suspend Daniel by trying to injure Keith by drilling his head into Keith's elbow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

No NTCs clauses, but we do need to act now. This year and POs have shown us we are in our window, and we need some dogs to win. The Org has done a good job at replenishing our developmental guys, but we need some complimentary players to gel it together. Lindholm and Zad are those type of guys, so you do what you have to do.

NTC's clauses likely enabled that 2011 team to re-sign players to less of a cap hit than would otherwise.  Compare that to giving an inflated contract to Jay Beagle with a *grandfathered* NTC.  

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's never a problem being cap compliant. No has ever failed at that. However, we lacked the ability to add the proper players for years, and this one is no different.  It sure showed in that last round as we simply needed more skill up front. I also have no worries about being compliant but I d worry we will lack the proper players to put us over the top.

There will be changes, but how much is the question with the OEL penalty... Hopefully Lekki will be a deadly sniper, and Hogs continues to develop (Hogs is still a young gun, and should get better)...

We have the same problems every other team has... there will almost always be holes or lack of back up players...

To win is not just about having the best players (although it helps), but the team, which players are in form, and stays healthy...

This play offs was as much about evaluating our players (core and supporting cast), so they can make some adjustments for their next go at it...

How much they'll go for it next year remains to be seen, but part of it will be building for 3 years from now, when Petey and QH are in their prime, Brock too, and then with good cheaper contracts to Lekki, Tom etc... to support the top players...

I have no idea, what happened to Petey, but it seemed to start well before the playoffs...

I do know though, he has shown how good he can be, so I have fun confidence in him leading the charge again next year...

Or at least that how I see it... will it be enough to bring us a cup?  Over to you JR/PA, as you know, what it take better than anyone here....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't buy that for a second. I doubt the Canucks offered full term, and $8M. I'd offer $8 million and 4-5 years to Stamkos.

Stamkos to play with Petey.... drool... sign me up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

You need to eat cake for breakfast image.jpeg.c9a91b56be727ae819c178d0ffe941ad.jpeg

Whats your deal Alf?

You used to have your own strong opinions and most people let you have them, or debated them with you.

Lately you seem to just go after anyone who posts anything you disagree with, regardless of how thought out the posts are.

Didn't think you would slip so quickly into trollaroo territory. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Whats your deal Alf?

You used to have your own strong opinions and most people let you have them, or debated them with you.

Lately you seem to just go after anyone who posts anything you disagree with, regardless of how thought out the posts are.

Didn't think you would slip so quickly into trollaroo territory. 

Depends if he mixes his Scotch with his meds.

When there's no hockey he seems to mellow out, and be more rational.

But I can't honestly tell if it's just a schtick that he likes doing, or he's just all over the place because that's just who he is.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Enjoy the rest of the Playoffs. 

Or, just enjoy the rest of the Summer. 

It’s done and dusted folks. 

As always, we move on. 

Enjoy the rest of the summer.  Fuck the rest of the playoffs.  Go Canucks Go!

Oh, and thanks to all involved  in creating this forum.  Respect.

Edited by I_AM_CANUCKIAN
Respect
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flipper said:

All these talks about trading EP40 are very similar to all those talks about trading the Sedins….

umm no.

The sedins were well into their second half of their career when trade talks started ramping up. It was also apparent that the Canucks were going to be starting a rebuild and moving star players would have sped up the timeline considerably. For the record I was not in support of moving them.

Comparing that to folks wanting to move Petey is way off.  He hasnt even entered into his big contract, he has been very streaky, was a complete no show for 1/3rd of the season and 2 rounds of the playoffs. So no, not similar at all.

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

great tune, better than that breakfast club song 

You’re the minority, everyone outside of Vancouver thinks we have the best goal song in the league and I’ll have to agree. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Man I hate when the media personalities wade into and speculate on future contract prices. They are always on the high side.  Speculating more on the high end of what a player COULD get.   I think it helps drive up the price.

Case in point, Miller was hyped up in the media that Vancouver could not afford him. That he was asking 9 or 10 million.  Turns out it was more like 8. 

Even Pettersson was touted to be getting 12 or 13.  

And sad to say that Dhali is one of the worst.

18 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

The sedins were well into their second half of their career when trade talks started ramping up.

Actually, long before the Sedins hit their prime, there were lots of "trade the sisters" sentiment - as in during the WCE era.  Management at the time had the foresight to keep them on the team to let them develop, unlike those vocal "why can't we have good things" type "fans".

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Man I hate when the media personalities wade into and speculate on future contract prices. They are always on the high side.  Speculating more on the high end of what a player COULD get.   I think it helps drive up the price.

Case in point, Miller was hyped up in the media that Vancouver could not afford him. That he was asking 9 or 10 million.  Turns out it was more like 8. 

Even Pettersson was touted to be getting 12 or 13.  

And sad to say that Dhali is one of the worst.

Part of it is to drive traffic.

Hate to say it, but there are also some out there who use it with the ulterior motive of screwing the team over.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great idea and while you're at it maybe start a 2nd thread/Poll on which Swedes PA will draft and trade for in the off season.  That would be fun!

Cool, will add that to the to do list thanks dude  any other suggestions please feel free to add here.

• Like 1