[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Honestly feel better knowing that an injury/ pain was part of the reason slowing Pete down. 

Feels like an incredibly convenient cop-out imo. He was noticeably worse for the last 1-2 months of the regular season. Why didn’t he rehab then? 

This explanation also saves management, for the time being, the embarrassment of admitting they potentially signed a playoff flamingo to a $11.6 million contract. 

• Confused 2
  • Wiener 1

The team expected more (obviously) and will have some takeaways from how the last couple of games unfolded.

Sad that we didn't have Brock (and Demko), but Silovs made it quite easy to relax despite not having our #1 goaltender.

I've changed my mind about Myers. I forgive him for his giraffe gaffs...he is a beast in playoffs.

Our guys have bonded and it will be SO interesting to see who does stay. This is a good group and they've meshed well so it'd be a shame to dismantle things and try with new personnel. Not always going to fit.

Zadorov's comments were encouraging. I think he really likes it here. Fingers crossed.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think it’s time to close this thread. Playoffs are over and time to focus on more current and important things. Player signings, trades, acquisitions, draft, etc. 

It was a good run and the boys proved a lot. Time for Alvin to make the necessary changes to take us over the top. They now know what works and what doesn’t.

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:43 PM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Like the third period you mean?

Oops yes third,first was like a feel out period but we got out played.Second sucked and third was good solid hockey.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I see this as a good sign. Subtly letting our free agents know ask for to much and you won't be part of this team. There is only so much to go around. How many millions does a person need.

Worth it on the open market or not, do you want to be part of this team or not.

Edited by Joe King

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

"We'll find the next Dakota Joshua" - PA

Goodbye Dakota. 🙃

Probably only if he is asking for more than makes sense,given our cap situation and who we want to resign. I think P.A. is coyly sending a message to  him and his agent.

Personally I like it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 8:42 AM, Maniwaki Mauler said:

And then you see this and wonder what were they thinking 

image.thumb.jpeg.50f2d7de3ca97c71bdefc37540a567d1.jpeg

Comparing the 5 players there are a few differences such as size of their markets, their career stats, and their teammates. 

Pettersson is 25 and been in the league 6 years all with the Canucks.Been in playoffs 2 times. 24 pts in 30 playoff games

He jumped from 68pts three years ago to 102 and 89 pts. Is he a 100+ pt player or a 70+ pt player - to me it's too early to tell because he's only had two higher pt years. I think it was premature to give him the bigger contract given it was such a short time getting those type of points. Are you paying the player based on pts in regular season or experience in playoffs as well?

Matthews is 26 and has been in league 8 years all with Maple Leafs. He's had four 80-100+ seasons. Similar points wise to Petey. He's in a much bigger market with more money in TO. Matthews has not done well in playoff points. Been in playoffs 8 times. 48pts in 55 playoff games.

Panarin is 32 so 7 years older than Petey and in league 9 years. For last 5 years he's been in NY he's mostly been a 90+ pts getter. Bigger market and more $$. Been in playoffs 8 times. 57pts in 68 playoff games.

Mackinnon is 28 and in league for 11 years all with Colorado. For last 7 years ( except 2020 played 48 games ) he's been a 90 - 110+ pt player. This year had 140pts. His playoff pts have been up and down and not always connected to his regular season points. Been in playoffs 6 times. 114 pts in 88 playoff games.

McDavid is 27 and in league 9 years all with Oilers. He's consistently been over 100 pts for 8 years. This year had 132pts. McDavid has done well in playoff points the past 3 years, but wasn't prior to that time. Been in playoffs 6 times. 66pts in 61 playoff games.

Petey is the only player in the list with only 2 quality 89+pt seasons, while the rest have proof of longevity with at least four 80+ seasons. He is the youngest of the group at 25. He has essentially half the playoff experience compared to the other 4 players.

It's premature to pay him in the same range because he doesn't have enough top point seasons to show he can do it consistently both in regular season and playoffs.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, -dlc- said:

The team expected more (obviously) and will have some takeaways from how the last couple of games unfolded.

Sad that we didn't have Brock (and Demko), but Silovs made it quite easy to relax despite not having our #1 goaltender.

I've changed my mind about Myers. I forgive him for his giraffe gaffs...he is a beast in playoffs.

Our guys have bonded and it will be SO interesting to see who does stay. This is a good group and they've meshed well so it'd be a shame to dismantle things and try with new personnel. Not always going to fit.

Zadorov's comments were encouraging. I think he really likes it here. Fingers crossed.

We need The Zad… the dude is a beast 

What a bunch of wankers those coilers are:

Oilers file complaint against Green Men

Green-Men-Vancouver-Sporsnet-Image-4-102
The Green Men, Vancouver Canucks superfans, hype up the crowd during a game between the Canucks and the Boston Bruins on Feb. 24, 2024. (Sportsnet Image)

By Cole Fortner

Posted May 24, 2024 1:53 pm.

The Edmonton Oilers have reportedly filed a complaint against Vancouver Canucks fans known as the Green Men.

The Green Men returned to Vancouver earlier this year, before making another appearance in Game 1 against the Oilers.

During one Oilers powerplay, the Green Men took out a sign that read “Evander… What’s the parlay tonight?”

The sign ended up making the rounds on social media, before the Oilers reportedly filed a complaint, according to CHEK TV’s Rick Dhaliwal.

The Oilers complaint claims the sign targeted Kane, who has a past with gambling.

Reports also indicate that the Green Men were not allowed to return to Rogers Arena for the remainder of the series.

This is not the first time a complaint has been filed against the Green Men. In 2011, a complaint was filed for their acts during the Canucks playoff run in that season.

CityNews has reached out to the Oilers for a comment, but have not heard back at this time.

Regardless of the outcome of the complaint, Kane and the Oilers can rest easy, knowing they knocked off the Canucks in Round 2.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/05/24/oilers-file-complaint-against-green-men/

Is Kane really so fucking thin skinned that he needs the organization to stand up for him for his past transgressions?

BTW, because xits don't show up in quotes: 

image.thumb.png.8b633adda0c725eb37dbe19e507bccda.png

35 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What a bunch of wankers those coilers are:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/05/24/oilers-file-complaint-against-green-men/

Is Kane really so fucking thin skinned that he needs the organization to stand up for him for his past transgressions?

BTW, because xits don't show up in quotes: 

image.thumb.png.8b633adda0c725eb37dbe19e507bccda.png

IMG_3720.thumb.jpeg.03981554464f93898ba096a670c02aeb.jpeg

• Vintage 1