[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

10 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

He needs to work on his skating, his feet cant do what is mind and hands want him to do

Ya too many times he just couldn’t pull away from anyone. He would turn to go on the attack and he was just so easy to get caught up to. McDavid works on his speed every year even though he is already the fastest skater. Gotta work on it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Love Toc and what he’s done for this team but he made some bad calls this playoffs.

Putting in plugs like Mik and Lafferty just to try and grind out another game was a poor move.

He talked about not being afraid to swing for the fences. I’d rather have seen Raty or Bains in there.

Yeah but Raty and Bains have no clue or experience of familiarity playing with the big club players let alone the system. Yes it’s similar in Abby, but that system is played against AHL players. Major difference. 
He had no real choice unless we had worked in some real reps for black aces earlier in the year in order to prep, but given our successes and relatively low injuries there wasn’t going to be much opportunity to do so for a sizeable chunk of games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

Hronek can take the first bus to Seattle. He's a classic case of "plays with Hughes, looks good". When Hughes isn't godly, he's pedestrian, and absolutely terrible at defence. He had how many games with 20+ minutes to get points back there? He can take a hike for the money he wants, he's not a driver.

Cole's gotta go.

Mik's gotta be out.

Lafferty's gotta be out.

Joshua's a 3/4th liner who got hot. He's worth 3/4th liner money. Somebody will overpay him bad though, I hope it isn't us.

Lindholm can stick if he's not pricing himself out. Took him awhile to get going, but once he got in the groove, he got better.

Basically anybody who didn't show up or showed up badly in the last 30 games should probably be looking to hit the bricks. We don't want leaf-like players here, we already have the leafs. Regular season performers.

If Hronek was replaced by Ethan Bear and other poverty RHD, we wont even make the playoffs. Thankfully management knows he will be resigned and fans dont get a vote

6 minutes ago, Plsdontdoit said:

Man anyone know how long Boeser will be out for?

Guidelines would suggest min 3 months on blood thinners.......but they'll have to screen potential causes and he'll have to hope he doesn't have complications.  At the very least, this will affect his off-season again which sucks.  It's possible he'll miss the early start of next season, and if he has another clot, it's possible that he won't be able to play again (lifelong blood thinners).

Here's the other kicker though.......these are serious in that they can travel up to the lungs.  Those that get DVTs have a high risk of getting another one with the same risk factors at play.  So......if I'm Brock or the person giving him advice, I think I'd be focusing on the amount of travel which has to be the #1 modifiable risk factor.  The Canucks have the most travel in the league.  I hate to say it, but a trade to a New York team would probably be in the best medical / career duration interest for Boeser.  A big loss to the Canucks, but a trade early in the next season would probably be a smart move.

Well, most people didn't have then making the playoffs and they went to game seven of round two

That's plenty of playoff experience for a relatively inexperienced group, that makes the season a stepping stone and therefore a success compared to the last couple seasons

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

I was surprised to see DJ take a couple bad penalties.  

You take penalties on purpose, it drains the the team spirit. 

He seems to have lost his edge.

He had a poor series but so did quite a few players. Hughes, Petey, Joshua didn’t do much overall to tip the scales.

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

Hronek can take the first bus to Seattle. He's a classic case of "plays with Hughes, looks good". When Hughes isn't godly, he's pedestrian, and absolutely terrible at defence. He had how many games with 20+ minutes to get points back there? He can take a hike for the money he wants, he's not a driver.

Cole's gotta go.

Mik's gotta be out.

Lafferty's gotta be out.

Joshua's a 3/4th liner who got hot. He's worth 3/4th liner money. Somebody will overpay him bad though, I hope it isn't us.

Lindholm can stick if he's not pricing himself out. Took him awhile to get going, but once he got in the groove, he got better.

Basically anybody who didn't show up or showed up badly in the last 30 games should probably be looking to hit the bricks. We don't want leaf-like players here, we already have the leafs. Regular season performers.

The book on Hronek when we traded for him was that he plays well at the beginning of the season, then not so hot at the end.  That's exactly what happened.  He drops a lot of weight as the season goes on.  There were photo's of him shirtless at the end of last season and again at camp.  The difference was striking.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Blue said:

If Hronek was replaced by Ethan Bear and other poverty RHD, we wont even make the playoffs. Thankfully management knows he will be resigned and fans dont get a vote

If Hronek was replaced by an actual defensive RHD we get by the Oilers.

I dunno where you got the impression I wanted Bear in that spot.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's why he signed here long term...he saw something in these guys. He loves it here.

Some people were SO convinced that he was outta here...and they still try to cut him down at every opportunity to prove a point that's been long put to bed.

I appreciated seeing how emotional he was, how much he loves the team and fans

I feel like after the support he got from the fans Petey is feeling more that way as well

32 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Kinda wish we just stuck with Kuzmenko. Team chemistry really changed after that.

Without Lindholm, we wouldn't have gotten by Nashville.

In hindsight, we should've unloaded Mikheyev instead in the Lindholm trade (doubt this the Flames would be interested in Mikheyev as a return instead of Kuzmenko though).

The biggest drop off was lack of top 6 wingers this season, if Kuzmenko didn't fell off a cliff with his goal scoring this season (or play more like he did at the end of the season with Calgary), we likely moved Mikheyev as cap dump then pick up Lindholm, we might still have a scoring winger for Petey.

I wish we could've found some cap space to pick up Toffoli at the TDL, then Petey would've had a scoring winger on his line. Our lack of depth down the wing was exploited this post-season.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yeah but Raty and Bains have no clue or experience of familiarity playing with the big club players let alone the system. Yes it’s similar in Abby, but that system is played against AHL players. Major difference. 
He had no real choice unless we had worked in some real reps for black aces earlier in the year in order to prep, but given our successes and relatively low injuries there wasn’t going to be much opportunity to do so for a sizeable chunk of games.

Wrong... he had Lekkermaki and Karlsson.  Karlsson looked on offensively in the game he played.

33 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Tocchet should've had the balls to put Lekkerimaki in tbh. Lost your only top 6 winger and tries to fill the hole with two 4th liners? Dog shit. 

Disagree. 2nd round of the playoffs isn't the time to throw in a high skill winger barely familiar with north American hockey or the structure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

would like to see us move on from hronek if we can get pesce

instead of lindholm we could bring in toffoli to play with petey + hogs

keep blueger, pay the cost to move mikheyev out

Tiffoli is 32 and is already slow.. only to get slower. No thanks. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Stars are gonna wipe this oilers team out. We exposed their lack of depth and dallas is the deepest team in the league. I'm calling stars in 5 and then off to the finals to beat the Rangers in 6

McDavid and Draisaitl were invisible tonight and yet they won. Their depth is better. Stars have aging stars. I don’t know. Oilers are special this year. 

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

People need to be reminded that this was Hronek's first playoffs. 

Gotta give these guys some time to learn what it takes to win. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Every player on this team is going to go home tonight and realize how lucky they are to play in this market. Yes the fans are hard on them, but it’s because we love this team so damn much. Hopefully it makes them embrace the pressure and play their hearts out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1