[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. He did.

Player

Played smart and stout defense. Brought a consistently heavy game. Scored timely goals. 

if all you see is good entertainment, I can’t help you. 

Ok. I am just asking.  Flames fans said he was their Myers. Lets resign him I guess. 

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 3

Just now, RWJC said:

Lek? You’re kidding right? 
Playoffs/season on the line is not the time to give a top prospect his taste of the NHL, especially after losing BB6. 

Karlsson was great in camp. Him Aman and Joshua was a dominant and aggressive checking line, with both of the former carrying the latter. 
I’ll give you that for sure. I would have put in quite a few others over Mik.

Laff should have seized his opportunity to step up. Just too vanilla. He should’ve been out there crashing and banging at very least. 

Lafferty had a golden opportunity to be a  hero... and opted to be a zero.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

To be fair ...

At the end if the day ...

We got outplayed.

Our window is just opening.

We have a lot to look forward to. 

Yeah. Look how many times Stars went to conference final, 3 times in 4 yrs, and still chasing the cup this yr.   We want Nux to be a contender for yrs to come. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Guidelines would suggest min 3 months on blood thinners.......but they'll have to screen potential causes and he'll have to hope he doesn't have complications.  At the very least, this will affect his off-season again which sucks.  It's possible he'll miss the early start of next season, and if he has another clot, it's possible that he won't be able to play again (lifelong blood thinners).

Here's the other kicker though.......these are serious in that they can travel up to the lungs.  Those that get DVTs have a high risk of getting another one with the same risk factors at play.  So......if I'm Brock or the person giving him advice, I think I'd be focusing on the amount of travel which has to be the #1 modifiable risk factor.  The Canucks have the most travel in the league.  I hate to say it, but a trade to a New York team would probably be in the best medical / career duration interest for Boeser.  A big loss to the Canucks, but a trade early in the next season would probably be a smart move.

How about training? Assuming won't be a good summer?

34 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Aside from a handful of all-stars not being able to gain the zone because of the stupid drop pass with two guys waiting behind their goal line?!!!  Edmonton comes into the zone with speed which backs the other team back to allow the D to get the puck with time.  The Canuck's drop pass  simply sets up 3 Canuck forwards and all 5 Edmonton guys at the blue line......super tough to break through that.

Well, if Skinner is at the blue line, shoot for the net as soon as we cross the red line ... no?

• Haha 1

Ok after taking some time to digest the result I have some takeaways. First, or stars need to better if we are going to take things to the next level. After what we were able to accomplish this year I do believe we can do it with bulk of this team but some pieces need to be replaced at some juncture. Second, regardless of the result,  Silovs has now earned his place as Vancouver number 2 next season. DeSmith should be allowed to pursue free agency a some teams could use his steady presence (would not surprise me to are him in Edmonton next season). Third, this is a hard learning lesson for our young players on how to deal with adversity and inconsistent play. I do think they will come out stronger as the coaching staff won't give them another option. Fourth, the escalating injuries to key players hurt our chances. Boeser being out limits the effectiveness of our PP and the Demko injury really hurt. 

I would expect players like Cole and DeSmith will be gone next year. That said, they need to do everything they can to resign Lindholm, Hronek, Joshua and Zadorov. If we can add Tanev as well that would be awesome.  Overall I am proud of what we were able to do and looking forward to next season. GO CANUCKS GO!

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I feel like he was never the same after his fine......how many big hits did you see after that?  I don't think it was the $5000.....I think it's likely what the league may have said to him.

Ya.. but he wasn’t a liability. 

Just now, PeteyBoeser said:

McDavid and Draisaitl were invisible tonight and yet they won. Their depth is better. Stars have aging stars. I don’t know. Oilers are special this year. 

Take Bouchard, mcdavid or draisaitl away and we win this series in 6. They played the crap out of thei fab 5, their bench stepped up in the last few games but they were playing their top guys 25-29 minutes a game in the first 5.

Dallas has 8 20 Goal scorers, a wayyyyy better defense and skinner is pathetic. Oilers were lucky to squeeze the series won against a beat up canucks team.

"The Oilers are who we thought they were!!!"Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

To be fair ...

At the end if the day ...

We got outplayed.

Our window is just opening.

We have a lot to look forward to. 

But the Oilers sat back and almost blew a 3 goal lead. I love that the team didn't roll over and just die. Had they come out with that confidence/intensity sooner, this might've ended differently.

They're not quite the powerhouse everyone makes them out to be. Just about blew it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Joshua.Guy said:

The harder Tocchet pushed the structure the worse our winning percentage got. Offensive creativity was slowly, but consistently, smothered like a babe in its crib. 

I get what he was going for. Playoffs get tough and you gotta grind it out sometimes but it fucking neutered them.

This is a thread worthy topic. By the end of the year, the low event hockey that we all expected from Tocchet at the start, showed up in the end.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Last look for those two.  I don't think they would have won if the lineup was different.....so playing these guys as a last chance to make a difference is not terrible.  Not sure anyone can blame RT after this year.

Goalscoring has been the problem both in the Nashville and Edmonton series... why bring in proven pluggers to replace Boeser?

Not smart.  Should have given some creative goalscorer a chance...  instead he went with 'defensively reponsible'... and ended up with nothing.

Just now, Blue said:

Zadorov was good entertainment for a few games. But did he really live up to it in the end ?

8 points, 4 goals, +3 on a 3rd pairing . 

+3 even though he was paired with Cole who was a -3. 

Not to mention size that keeps the team from getting pushed around in the d zone. 

Hell yes he lived up to it. He had a far better playoffs than probably any other defender on the team including Hughes.  

I wouldn't sign him for crazy money but I'd probably go 5 x 6 maybe even a hair more, rather than the 4.5x6 I was maxed out on for him before the playoffs. 

Only 4 players on this team showed up night in an night out and that was Silovs, Zadorov, Garland and Lindholm. With honourable mentions to Brock who had some really good games here and there. Even Miller and Hughes were not great. They weren't terrible but overall I think a pretty disappointing playoffs for them as the team leaders. Petey was a non entity until the last 3 games where he was better but still not old petey or what we should be expecting from 11. 6 million petey. 

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I feel like he was never the same after his fine......how many big hits did you see after that?  I don't think it was the $5000.....I think it's likely what the league may have said to him.

I felt the same way. But also it could have been that big risky hits are more tolerable at the start of a series when you're trying to assert your presence and you haven't adapted a formal system against a team yet. Big hits while fun for fans are awesome because they make a big noise and look wild, but ultimately I doubt they have any real effect against players who are physically trained to hilt and padded up the ying yang; they can bounce back up and score the same or next shift as if it never happened.  

Tocchet in my eyes is the reason we lost game 7. Putting Mikheyev with Miller and Petey set the tone for the game. Höglander scores last game and gets demoted to the 4th line...

Sure you can make the argument that a stale PP and not playing 60 minutes hockey is the reason we lost. I still believe we could have won this game if we actually had a offensive mindset this game instead of thinking defense all the time.

Last 2 games we played not to lose rather then going for the win. Only when  we had nothing to loose did our offense start to work.

Anyways proud of what the boys achieved this season.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

42 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Kinda wish we just stuck with Kuzmenko. Team chemistry really changed after that.

Wow, my take on Kuzmenko is that there's something missing with the guy.  The cute giggly act wore thin with me rather quickly.  Then when his production fell off the table, I was really wondering what his deal was.  I think they dodged a bullet when they found somebody to take him tbh.

Just now, -dlc- said:

Giddy even.

Boucharding hard.

GDT is locked otherwise I would just quote there but I want to take back my comment from the end of the (embarrassing) first period where I said the fans should boo...

You responded and I shot back. I was frustrated and venting.

I wouldn't have wanted any fans booing these guys after an incredible year. They ran out of gas but we'll build from here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Take Bouchard, mcdavid or draisaitl away and we win this series in 6. They played the crap out of thei fab 5, their bench stepped up in the last few games but they were playing their top guys 25-29 minutes a game in the first 5.

Dallas has 8 20 Goal scorers, a wayyyyy better defense and skinner is pathetic. Oilers were lucky to squeeze the series won against a beat up canucks team.

"The Oilers are who we thought they were!!!"Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

Honestly take Ian Cole away and the canucks win this series in 4 or 5... and I'm not joking. 

• Vintage 1