[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, rmok said:

Its amazing what playing in the offensive zone and actually shooting the puck at the net can accomplish in just ten minutes. I for the life of me will not understand why the team refuses to do that for most of the game.. or even 20 mins of the game. 

They got farther than people expected.. but the regular season team was better than this oilers team and they had two chances to close it out and laid 2 eggs. At least they didn't get shut out in a game 7 again. 

Going forward some big decisions

Joshua- I would not be willing to pay a premium for him. He was not good this postseason outside game 1's. Keep him sure but not for the $$$ people were talking about prior to the playoffs. 

Hronek - 6.5 max or look to trade him. Scores on a big shot at the end that he has refused to use for like 5 months now. 

Cole - I've seen enough. This literally could have been a 4 or 5 game series if not for Cole

Myers and Zadorov- I'd take myers current 6 million and Zadorovs current $$ and try to divide it up more equitably going forward based on age etc and bring them both back.  the size on the back end made a huge difference defensively this year. 

Blueger - I could take or leave at the same money. May be time for Raty, Karlson etc to have a shot. 

Petey - Love the guy.. is my favorite player. He played pretty good the last couple games but he still doesn't seem right. I wouldn't want to trade him.. but I'd entertain potential trades. 

Lindholm - If they did trade petey they have to keep lindholm. If not and they don't keep Hronek and/or dispose of mikheyev's money then they should be able to afford him. He would solidify a competent 2nd line. But I'm not keen on committing 8million+ with term to another guy that is 30 years old.  If you can get him for more around 7 that would be good.. He was good in the playoffs. Better than miller and petey to be honest. 

Boeser - They need to find out what the deal is with him right away. Blood clots have actually ended careers and they need to know if his money is freed up or not (lindholm no brainer if brock is done) . Or they need to look to sell high on him. They can't afford to be giving him a raise on his next contract with his age and injury history after 1 really good season. Its tough he's a great guy.. but its not in the teams best interest. 

Silovs - try to resign so his current contract goes a year or two past demkos. He's the back up next year for sure. 

Fantasy big move... Consider packaging Peterson, Demko, Hronek and two 1sts to Chicago for Bedard

They'll resign Silvos and let DeSmith walk. 

They'll make a push to sign Hronek, Lindholm, Zadarov, Bleuger, and Myers. 

I suspect they'll be able to sign Meyers and Bleuger to reasonable contracts.

If Hronek wants more than 7m, then I'd like to see the team explore a shorter 2-3 year bridge deal to give Willander time to graduate into our lineup, or try to sign Tanev in the offseason to a 2 ish year deal and then trade Hronek for picks / prospects and use savings to help sign others, e.g.  Zadarov, Joshua.

If Lindholm wants more than 8m, then trade his rights and focus instead on finding a winger for Petey, maybe trade Lindy's rights to the Panthers (who are still looking for a right shot center and wanted Lindy at the deadline) for Guentzel's rights. Would be willing to let Joshua walk to afford Guentzel and make the cap work.  Or buyout Mikheyev if needed. 

Zero chance Petey gets traded. Just get him to focus his offseason training on improving his strength and ability to win board battles.

Boeser will be fine. 

Edited by syntheticity

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Miller kept McDavid off the scoresheet. Considering he was missing his wingman, that's still a great game. He's hurt too, didn't practice yesterday.

Mikheyev might cost too much to get rid of. Much like Boeser and Garland last year, we may be better off just hoping he comes back stronger next year?

We need his cap $$$. He HAS to go.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Miller kept McDavid off the scoresheet. Considering he was missing his wingman, that's still a great game. He's hurt too, didn't practice yesterday.

Mikheyev might cost too much to get rid of. Much like Boeser and Garland last year, we may be better off just hoping he comes back stronger next year?

Mikheyevs buyout is actually pretty reasonable and saves them money the next two years.. but the 3rd year on top of the last big year of OEL's buyout would be a doozy. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The good news is I think when a team has a season like that no one wants to leave. They wanna get right back at it with the same group.

I think we’ll see players calling up their agents and telling them to get a deal done.

We can then choose and pick who to keep and who to let go rather than keeping for the sake of keeping at a higher salary because we have no one wanting to come here and pay premium for their service and other players skill set is similar at a lower salary from other teams.    We can make some trades if other teams with rooms in salary cap needs our grinders like Mik as an example if no other player is available at end of  the summer.   Our useless expensive veterans will be a thing of the past.  I think we do have 21 million of cap space coming into the summer and we might be able to afford to retain their service at a cheaper rate like Myers for example.  Zadarov, Joshua is our priority.  We have found our back-up goalie for next season at a cheaper rate so we have more room to find more players through free agent.  I haven't been able to keep track of who is UFA this summer that we might be able to bring in the fold.   Zadarov will be worth keeping if he is happy to be in Vancouver.  Hopefully Lindholm is willing to re-sign with us at a similar salary which I wouldn't mind.  Not at 9 million if he is seeking.  

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

For everyong gizzing their pants about how bad Petey was. 

McDavid this series:

game 1 — 1 point

game 2 — 4 points

game 3 — 0 points

game 4 — 1 points

game 5 — 0 points

game 6 — 3 points

game 7 — 0 points

First time McDavid has had 3 pointless games since Anaheim in 2017.

So McJesus got only 9 points in 7 games and Petey got…. (Not more than McJesus)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Garland is a beauty… he’s got game… he didn’t quit

Well the owner of the Dallas Stars lives in Shaughnessy near Granville and 18th in Vancouver… It’s OK to cheer for the Dallas Stars because the owner is from Vancouver

That is in one of the most prestigious and most expensive areas.

3 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Zero chance Petey gets traded. Just get him to focus his offseason training on improving his strength and ability to win board battles.

Agreed. But there will be a zillion pages in the proposal sections this summer and I will laugh at them. Good times ahead 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

JT's presser made me:

Cry

Proud

So damn happy that he's here

Hopeful

He loves this team and man, so do I. Next year's looking pretty good...can build off this. They played a little scared of the Oilers the past 2 games and forgot who they were. The team that smoked them through the season.

3 beer in folks, I am DONE. Cheers. Oilers suck

See you next year.  👋

9 minutes ago, andrea84 said:

You call facts wrong--but by definition a fact it is true so thanks for verifying that I'm right. You are correct, you are going to 'feel' it, in the same way that two colliding bodies 'feel' each other. It won't stop a player who's juiced up on adrenaline being paid millions and is determined to play his best. Bruises and aches don't stop anything. 

Any ache in your back stops anyone even Mario.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly that. We need to go through the swamp to get to the other side. Can't avoid it. We're better for this.

Yeah, that's true. I guess for me, I was too disappointed by the loss, and too emotional to think that this could be a good thing for the team moving forward. I think after calming down, you're right. The team will be better next season, just sucks that our season had to come to an end so early. With that being said, fuck Edmonton, and GO DALLAS. Sweep McDavid and Draisaitl. I want to see them cry because they came sooo close, but still fell short. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hate to say it ... Oilers dominated tonight. 

They got it done.

Great series. We had a great run. 

The entire year was a great success.

We finally, legitimately, have unfinished business. 

Never use that term...remember a few years ago that was the slogan we used out of training camp and were a dumpster fire for the whole season.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Agreed. But there will be a zillion pages in the proposal sections this summer and I will laugh at them. Good times ahead 

Oooooh yeeeeaaahhhh, especially as he doesn’t have trade protection this coming season. People gonna go nuts with that!

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

We need his cap $$$. He HAS to go.

They won’t buy him out, still paying for OEL, they will have to find someone to take him in a trade

agree they do need his $ 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

JT's presser made me:

Cry

Proud

So damn happy that he's here

Hopeful

He loves this team and man, so do I. Next year's looking pretty good...can build off this. They played a little scared of the Oilers the past 2 games and forgot who they were. The team that smoked them through the season.

3 beer in folks, I am DONE. Cheers. Oilers suck

What did he say in his presser? 

1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

I think Myers, Lafferty,  Cole and maybe Hronek all played their last game as a nuck. 

I think they re-sign Myers! He really wanted to sign here before. He’s up there in age I can see him willing to sign for under market to stay!

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Oooooh yeeeeaaahhhh, especially as he doesn’t have trade protection this coming season. People gonna go nuts with that!

JT miller all over again. They all wanted him traded too after his extension 😭🤣

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lol 650 caller, he said any player not taking a 25% discount is a greedy son of  a bitch

LOL I wonder if he/she takes less money than their peers to work?

Edited by chris12345
  • Haha 1