[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

11 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I think injuries got to us…

We’re clearly the better team and we’re healthy we swept the season series…

I honestly think we had injuries and that’s what killed us

Well yeah going through Nashville probably did us in. 

Edmonton got lucky they faced LA in the 1st round. Walk in the park for them with that matchup. 

Might have fared better of we took on Oilers in the first round when everyone is relatively healthy. 

Either way the way we played in the playoffs kind of did us in ourselves with fatigue and injuries. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well yeah going through Nashville probably did us in. 

Edmonton got lucky they faced LA in the 1st round. Walk in the park for them with that matchup. 

Might have fared better of we took on Oilers in the first round when everyone is relatively healthy. 

Either way the way we played in the playoffs kind of did us in ourselves with fatigue and injuries. 

Yup - Hughes was getting smashed by Nashville - double teamed 

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lindholm, Zadorov, and Joshua need to be priorities. Recoup assets for Hronek and use that space to get a winger or two for Petey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If Skinner didn’t completely shit the bed for two games, this series would have been over sooner rather than later. 

You couldn’t ask Silvos to do a better job than what he was asked to. Came in and did a stupendous job filling in for Demko. 

You might not want to admit it, but the Oilers pretty much outplayed us, for most of the series. 

Yeah they definitely did - our players were so banged up - during the regular season we killed them

• Cheers 1

It stung.... never nice to get to the end of the road...

But the boys gave it a good go... At times they were flying... 

Its been a good season... the future is bright...

Oh, and please don't vote for additional Canucks at next years all star game...🙄🙄🙄...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kakanucks said:

It was a good run for the team. Losing our #1 and #2 goalie for most of the playoffs and losing Boeser. They could have played better tonight but at the end of the day still proud of them.

Also....it was my fault...I shouldn't have worn the Blue home orca jersey that I haven't worn since 2011 final game 7....should have stuck with my black skate...

I wasn’t wearing my lucky Canucks’ socks that I’d put on during the first series. I wore sandals during game 7!  

We can never deploy too much team merchandise or swag! 

It wasn’t hard to see that hope & belief had begun to wane on this board early. Don’t doubt or become that additional naysayer! The power of our belief is real & the players feel it. 

^Let’s all do way better in this, next year, also.

Edited by viking mama

59 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

Maybe... think silovs played great

He played fine and made big saves but maybe let in a couple easy ones.

He held the fort and gave us a chance to win most of the games.

With that said Demko would have had a much better save% than .872 in this series.

well, one heck of a season...dissapointment for the loss in a game 7 stings. will b interesting to see what happends during the offseason...who to sign and who to let go due to capissues... i liked this team and the individual players we had. thx for one halluva run. I Love You Hug GIF by Chubbiverse

• Like 1

Much better season than expected.  Much worse effort for game 6 and 7 than expected. 
Disheartening loss, especially to the most flawed team in the second round. 
Last 2 games we looked like Greener was coaching us. 
This is a team built around a core of Hughes, EP and Demko and they gave us nothing in the playoffs. 
Great performances by Brock, JTM, Zads and Arty. With Arty breaking out hopefully they can target 50ish games for Demko next year, he just isn’t durable enough for more than that and playoffs. 
Need Zads back, Lindholm would be great but we need to add more speed especially on the wings. Edmonton just ran circles around us. 

On the bright side the rest of the hockey world will (should) finally see just how big of a whiny, diving, cheap bunch of cunts the coilers are. While seeing them get dominated in 5 or less. 

• Cheers 2

Really should have won this series but we just stopped playing, looked like we were tired. Credit to the Oilers, they turned it up, but should have been the better team - but in the end we weren't. We have all the tools and capabilities to dominate Edmonton yet didn't in the last two games which is a real shame. Not sure if it's fatigue or will-power or what but we just gave up. Up in the series 2-1 and then 3-2, we should have easily had this series. Ironically the coaches and management have been preaching about meeting pressure with pressure all pre-season and when the pressure finally came to them, they folded. McDavid was held pointless in what, 3 games this series, and we still find a way to lose it. 

Everyone just stopped playing which is a shame because there's a lot more potential in this squad and hard to pin-point why. 

Anyway moving along, obviously proud of the team but this one stings because we were right there. Would have been swept by Dallas anyway. 

Going to be a monster job to try and keep the playoff warriors in tact and on this team. Who would have thought Myers would absolutely stone McDavid. Allvin's going to have a big job deciding on how we construct our team next year. After seeing Petey disappear and our wingers suck in the playoffs, you certainly have to make a case for re-signing Lindholm, not sure we're ready to go on a deep run with Petey as 2C and Miller's only going to get slower and older. If it means letting Joshua go so be it, Lindholm provides more to this team than a 20G physical winger.

Obviously we're going to want to keep Zadorov and hopefully get him around 5M, Hronek cost us so much so can't let him walk unless there's a world in which we bring in Pesce and Myers and Cole are surely going to have to walk. It'd be nice to bring Tanev or Myers back in for dirt cheap but I doubt it happens after they've both had huge playoffs.

Hell of a season.  No one expected them to do what they did.  A lot of players with career years.  Unfortunately, our two super stars in Petey and Hughes couldn’t match the firepower the Oilers best players had.  Silovs and Garland were my two favorite Canucks during this run.  Stellar performances and no quit in either of them.  Get healthy and come back hungrier next year.

-GJ 

5 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

True - they are putting a lot of $$ towards him based largely on potential. If I remember right (always a question) the Sedins had to prove themselves before they got a big pay day.

Calder Trophy, 103 point season, on pace for 110 point season when he resigned  ..... what more proof do you want?

• Vintage 1

Proud of the boys we had a great run but couldn't finish the job, we were outplayed last two games (well 5 out of the 7 games really) and the Oilers deserved to advance.

They will probably get smoked by Dallas mind cant see that going past 5 so another year of a Canadian team not winning the cup, I think the Canucks would have had a better chance of meeting Rangers in the final.

Hope Brock will be okay and come back next season, its scary what he's going through.

A few points:

Sign Zadorov yesterday.

Arty Party is for real and a future starter, he can carry a heavier load next year and keep Demko fresh.

Love what Lindholm brings but does anyone feel that Kuzmenko would have potted some goals in these playoffs?

Mikeyev is heading to the KHL, when does his contract expire?

We need some of the farm team to break out we got some cap management to worry about.

Window has just opened for us we will get better and have another run next year.

Enjoyed the year with you all, onwards and upwards people!!

4 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I think injuries got to us…

We’re clearly the better team and we’re healthy we swept the season series…

I honestly think we had injuries and that’s what killed us

For sure.  Speculation, but prolly not too far off the mark:

Huggy playing in a flakjacket after taking his Nashville sandwich 

Hronek wearing the mother of all elbow braces that emasculated his bomb

Petey with his wrist taped ( and groin?)

Myers with a back brace 

Likely 10 more as well