[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Did you watch the games. The cheating league with their cheating refs out worked us. Coilers stink. Their fans stink. Their city stinks. F them and anyone who cheers for them to do well. 

That too

Lol. 

Pretty sure the series would have changed if they called the 4 min on Mcdavid, suspended Ryan for the spear and suspended Hyman and Soucy for the cross checks except Soucy didn't really deserve a suspension 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm more devastated than I thought I was going to be. We were the better team. We had leads in the series. We should have won it 😢 Statistically we should have won it. 

I am fuckin sad Af honestly 

Me too. 

Just wasn't ready for it to be over yet. So much potential...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too hard? How? They knew that the playoffs were going to be a tighter, harder faster version of the regular season. They both should have elevated their play, instead they both disappeared for the majority of the run. That's a fact. If that's "being hard on them", that's too bad. 

I'm not relinquishing them of their terrible play. I agree with that fact.

What I'm saying is that this is a process and this playoffs was a learning experience. Build on it and improve next time. A lot of people of here don't seem to understand that playing lights out in the first playoffs of a player's career is not as likely as you may think it is. 

The grind, physical play, pain, intensity etc those are all things that a player isn't going to perfectly grasp in their first kick at the can. Luckily we have characters in the locker room like Miller and Garland who I hope the likes of Petey and Hronek can learn from. 

It's a process. Want proof? Check out Miller's HockeyDB page - his playoff production only started to ramp up since he joined the Canucks and played in the bubble. 

Chill out, the team's window has only just opened. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

What I'm saying is that this is a process and this playoffs was a learning experience. Build on it and improve next time. A lot of people of here don't seem to understand that playing lights out in the first playoffs of a player's career is not as likely as you may think it is. 

The grind, physical play, pain, intensity etc those are all things that a player isn't going to perfectly grasp in their first kick at the can. Luckily we have characters in the locker room like Miller and Garland who I hope the likes of Petey and Hronek can learn from. 

It's a process. Want proof? Check out Miller's HockeyDB page - his playoff production only started to ramp up since he joined the Canucks and played in the bubble. 

This and we were missing our Vesna level goalie. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Poor Silovs, what a story he's been

When they do the end of season press con for the players, they should have all three 'tenders on one panel.

And no, I'm being serious here.  It would be a perfect show of how the goaltenders union works, how they support each other when one goes down and the next one needs to step up.

Posted (edited)

Awesome season and a lot of fun. Never expected this and i am so proud of this team and the whole franchise including all of you fans. 

We are all Canucks and the future looks bright. That was the beginning of a very exciting time in the next few years.

Good to be a Canuck !!!

Edited by German Canuck
  • Cheers 2

It’s frustrating that we showed up 2.75 periods late and only played with urgency for 8 minutes and almost tied it.

what could we have done with 9 minutes ?

I feel like the line changes the night before made the team nervous and disorganized. They were losing all puck battles for the two periods. It’s like going the whole season with same team mates developing chemistry then suddenly working with new combination and trying to make it work.

They were doing a lot of quick line changes dumping without enough forecheck to pressure Edmonton. A lot of there passes were turn overs too. I hope they will learn from this and do better next year. Hopefully we’re a bit more healthy and experienced. I really loved this team this year and wished they could have progressed more. I moved to Edmonton recently and won’t be cheering for them. Not sure who we can resign for next year and hopefully trade mikeave. 

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

When they do the end of season press con for the players, they should have all three 'tenders on one panel.

And no, I'm being serious here.  It would be a perfect show of how the goaltenders union works, how they support each other when one goes down and the next one needs to step up.

goalietee2.png?v=1715277289

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

If you have Mikheyev and Suter in your top 6, sorry but you’re not going to go very far. We focused on improving our defence and center depth but failed to improve our top 6 wingers. A Toffoli/Guentzal type might have done wonders. Boeser goes down and we don’t have another top 6 winger.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Poler said:

I feel like the line changes the night before made the team nervous and disorganized. They were losing all puck battles for the two periods. It’s like going the whole season with same team mates developing chemistry then suddenly working with new combination and trying to make it work.

They were doing a lot of quick line changes dumping without enough forecheck to pressure Edmonton. A lot of there passes were turn overs too. I hope they will learn from this and do better next year. Hopefully we’re a bit more healthy and experienced. I really loved this team this year and wished they could have progressed more. I moved to Edmonton recently and won’t be cheering for them. Not sure who we can resign for next year and hopefully trade mikeave. 

I really noticed this and was going to comment in real time.

Sometimes when we had possession there'd be a line change and it completely just wasted  the effort to get us into their end. Everyone vacated and that was the end of that. I think the quick line changes hampered more than helped them yesterday as it really stood out. It was almost giving up on a play before it even unfolded. I do get why they want short shifts and constant line changes, but the timing was really off and abandoned plays that might have turned into something. At least created a bit more pressure.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Our guys were out worked this series.

Beside the 1 game, we were second to pucks and oilers out pressured us most games. 

Silovs future looks bright

You didn't watch game 5?

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The whole point of Toccs system is you can be the next man up and you already know your job. Yes, chemistry plays a role, but I don't think that was the issue last night. Last night can be summed up with one word. Experience. The Oilers had it, the Canucks didn't. The Oilers team last night is the end product, a team who's had a couple chances to see their weaknesses and make changes in the offseason. They are running out of runway, and know it. The Canucks are just starting and don't have the experience. We looked overwhelmed by the moment the majority of that game, and to be frank rightfully so. We didn't have our starter, we didn't have our leading goal scorer, and we didn't have experience to lean back on.

This year was awesome, and we're only going to be better going forward because of it.

Well said. While I'm certainly disappointed in the last two games, overall this has been a very successful season. And the game 7 loss last night is unfortunately the experience they'll need to do better in future payoff runs.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rmok said:

Mikheyevs buyout is actually pretty reasonable and saves them money the next two years.. but the 3rd year on top of the last big year of OEL's buyout would be a doozy. 

Still worth it.  Buying out Mik lets us keep one or two of our good ufas.  The cap will go up and in year three we'll have Lek and Willander on entry-level deals.  When the OEL buyout clears, we can reload with those young guys in the system.

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Worst part is, we are hit with a 4mil buyout penalty for 2 years during our window.

Many may not agree but just gonna put this here.

Guess the player:

1. Pouted for the greater part of 2 years about the Canucks not being a serious playoff team, threatening to leave if the team did not pick it up soon;

2. played hardball in negotiations, squeezing a fat $11.6 million contract out of the team, which will make him one of the highest paid players in the league in a few months time. No team-friendly or “happy to be here” discount. 

3. We finally get to the playoffs and he disappears completely;

What I think will happen:

The Regular Season merchant will pick it up in the regular season and people will forget he flamingo’d the entire playoffs.

What I want to happen:

Trade him. He played hardball with us, it’s time to play hardball with him. 

• Cheers 1

I don't think most were expecting lights out play from Pettersson, Hughes, Hronek or any other player who hadn't really had the experience. They were expecting a level of play that for the most part most of the team brought. There were players who were passengers for a large portion of the playoff run. 

I'm perfectly fine, and don't need to chill out. The team can only take positives away and learn from it. They know how much the fans are behind them. Outside of the players and coaching staff, the fans at the home games were one of the greatest things about the playoff run. Anyone saying that Canucks fans are a miserable lot are woefully ignorant and never watched a single home game during the run. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Guess the player:

1. Pouted for the greater part of 2 years about the Canucks not being a serious playoff team, threatening to leave if the team did not pick it up soon;

2. played hardball in negotiations, squeezing a fat $11.6 million contract out of the team, which will make him one of the highest paid players in the league in a few months time. No team-friendly or “happy to be here” discount. 

The Regular Season merchant will pick it up in the regular season and people will forget he flamingo’d the entire playoffs.

What I want to happen:

This is really a period to wait and see what information we get.

I'd hate to let go of Petey only to see him slay it somewhere else. We've seen his best and what he's capable of. We've invested heavily in him and I'm pretty confident he'll figure this out (or recover from whatever may be hampering his play).

And despite not scoring (which is what he's paid the big bucks to do), I'm happy that he is finding a way to contribute in other way during this slump he's in. I mean, McDavid's sitting at 2 goals through 2 rounds right now...happens.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

No. We needed Pettersson to show up and play. He was mediocre at best, but played timid, with zero confidence and well below average. 

3 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Guess the player:

What I want to happen:

I think Petey will train even harder this off-season to build muscle, and he'll keep more of it on over next season. Then, he'll do it again the following off-season and keep even more muscle. Finally, when he's McD's and Drais' age, he'll be a beast.

And during these next two years, Allvin will have surrounded Petey with actual top liners. 

This is Year 1 of many great seasons and playoffs to come. 

• Like 1