[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

No. We needed Pettersson to show up and play. He was mediocre at best, but played timid, with zero confidence and well below average. 

No? We don't need 1 or 2 more top 6 wingers? You think it was completely acceptable having Mik, Hoglander, Suter and Laf all playing top 6 wingers minutes? Or you just completely ignoring the premise of my post so you can bitch about something different?

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

One "trend" I've noticed during this playoff run, is how much certain teams took advantage of the uselessness of the officials and did things to other players that they would never accept being done to them. McDavid's slash on Hughes' cheek comes to mind. One would think a player of his ability wouldn't have to resort to that, but I guess some are warriors and others pick at the carrion when no one's looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

After seeing us this play offs, I'd even suggest that with a bit of luck our window may even be bigger than 4 years, if Podz can become a 3rd liner and both Willander and Lekkerimaki becomes players, we may look at a bigger window (maybe 6 years), but that is for another day...

We need to find bottom plugs, who likes to hit and hit a lot.... Petey having to be a wrecking ball is all good, but I'd prefer he concentrated on his elite creative and scoring powers... Wonder how he would fare with a spell between Garland and Joshua, or similar players... 

Playing him with Stone Cold Maki, and whichever plug there was available, didn't do much for him... Expect him to improve as he grows even older and the same with Hogs... these are young players, Podz too.... Our back up next year is likely Silovs, if they want to save on a back up keeper...

Myers brought it, just like last play offs and Zad too... They will need to make some cuts, to improve and stay within the cap, but it should be possible...

Remember how many trade proposal were made with Boeser and Garland... 2 of our best forwards during the play offs...

The future is bright and we can look towards next season with optimism... 

Still....it hurts like hell to lose this round to those diving arrogant pigs... Especially Dry, Kane and McDiver...

The windows they were talking about, is how many years they have with their current cores before age or contracts will force a re-tool or a rebuild.   Also didn't get into who had the best quality window, was ranked in how many years they had left, and if they didn't consider it a window (chance for a cup) they didn't get a window.    Another way to look at it, is how many years do they have left in their peak cycle with the current core.   Ours thankfully, is just getting started.   EPs contract is long enough, where he quite possibly will be part of 3 different cores from rookie season, to final year.   Horvat, Miller, ?. 

For us it's Demko's and QHs current deals, and maybe JT Miller (age).    They made it 4 playoffs (one down) even though Brock was in there and due for a raise,  OEL etc.  Once QHs gets to free agency, we will either resign him to a 14-16% cap deal (depends on how things go), or have to consider trading, hence a re-tool either by sacrificing something else to keep him (Demko maybe too), or trading to fill other needs in the future.     

It was the second highest of any NHL team.    A lot of the best teams now, only have 1 postseason left before they are where we will be when QHs and Demko are up.   Plus what's left for them this year (EDM). 

Dallas was the only team with no limit.  Given their quantity of young stars, and that they're long in the tooth stars, can easily be replaced with equal or better players using free agency, and add more support.    It's a compliment to be second on the list.  

The only thing they said was EPs new deal is going to put some constraints on how good our current window is.    We've got Miller on a sweetheart deal,  Brock too, Demko, QHs and the rest is more than palatable or not going to cost the farm to move.   And we as a team, have one key guy who's just started his 30's ... we are going to be even better as a group going forward if Allvin can keep up the good work.   This playoffs, that's such a valuable experience for them.  

Once the legacy deals start coming out, windows shrink (sometimes a lot), without re-tooling.    It's possible we could have a window for the duration of EPs next deal, and for sure that will depend on how good Lekkermaki and D-Petey, Willander etc are.    

We've got some great support players.   And some "passengers".    The core, hard not to like it.    EP needs his partner in crime.    And sure he gets what it's going to take next time out.    Wish Forsberg was his uncle.   Or buddy.   He played a bit like him last night as far as willingness goes for sure.    

Lindholm or Guentzal?   That is going to be a tough choice.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One "trend" I've noticed during this playoff run, is how much certain teams took advantage of the uselessness of the officials and did things to other players that they would never accept being done to them. McDavid's slash on Hughes' cheek comes to mind. One would think a player of his ability wouldn't have to resort to that, but I guess some are warriors and others pick at the carrion when no one's looking.

Spears in the groin. Crosschecks in the face (yet Soucy was suspended).

And the fact that McDavid did yet another high stick in the face when the play wasn't even there really hints at his MO more than a woopsie.

No consistency in addressing this stuff and it does make one team more tentative while the other is just free rolling out there.

People who say this is "whining" about the officials are the ones who just don't really want to address it. But it's relevant. The team did overcome it for the most part, but I'm sure in the back of their minds they had "don't get suspended" nattering at them. Guys like Myers, who gets the book thrown at him at every opportunity. Their physical play dropped off significantly.

• Vintage 1

September and training camp can't come fast enough! Brock will be healthy and we'll finish the job;

I doubt I watch any game threads that involve Edmonton. I have better things to do. Puking for one. 

A healthy Brock may have made a difference. Pick the eastern conference to watch, not the dirty stinkin, play bad to get high draft picks Oil cans.

I wont watch that team.

Got the music thread, got the Blue Jay thread,  that's better then watching more edmondump

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Still worth it.  Buying out Mik lets us keep one or two of our good ufas.  The cap will go up and in year three we'll have Lek and Willander on entry-level deals.  When the OEL buyout clears, we can reload with those young guys in the system.

I attach a draft pick and move him out; no need for anymore dead money. As you said, use the $ to resign Hronek, Zad, Lindholm, resign Myers (oR another ~3m UFA Dman), and go out and get a Toffoli type winger to bridge to Lekkermaki. I'd also offer Joshua a new contract, but the guy is not worth much more than 2.5-3m; he wasn't consistant enough in the POs, and I think a similar player can be molded into the role by Tocchet.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

September and training camp can't come fast enough! Brock will be healthy and we'll finish the job;

I doubt I watch any game threads that involve Edmonton. I have better things to do. Puking for one. 

A healthy Brock may have made a difference. Pick the eastern conference to watch, not the dirty stinkin, play bad to get high draft picks Oil cans.

I wont watch that team.

Got the music thread, got the Blue Jay thread,  that's better then watching more edmondump

I really planned on not watching/supporting the NHL through the rest of the deal but find myself wanting to watch Edmonton get decimated. And see if their whining and dirty play gets them through another round. I'd also really like to see Tanev hoist a cup.

• Like 2

Just now, CanuckMan said:

One problem I’ve noticed is the dump and chase. One players dumps the puck in but no one chases after it. We don’t have the players that can carry the puck in and control the play.

Exactly!

There was "dump" but then everyone went off for a change and Edmonton simply grabbed the puck to take it the other way. It was really glaring to me yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

No? We don't need 1 or 2 more top 6 wingers? You think it was completely acceptable having Mik, Hoglander, Suter and Laf all playing top 6 wingers minutes? Or you just completely ignoring the premise of my post so you can bitch about something different?

No Boeser and Pettersson massively underperforming.
To win that series we needed Pettersson to show up.

Bitching about something different? No Pettersson is very much relevant to the very fucking issue. 1 goal 5 assists. That goal was on the PP and he picked up another apple on the PP. 4. That PP runs through him and Hughes and it fucking died on Petterssons stick. That PP, which he is a key component on, was fucking useless and that falls directly on his shoulders, just like his offensive absence 5v5. 
You think we needed 1 more winger because our one winger was not pulling his weight. To win the cup, yea sure probably needed 1 more winger, but ultimately I believe we coulda pulled it off without that winger. Defence and goaltending made it fuckin easy on our offence keeping everything to a 1 goal low scoring game all bloody playoffs against the two hottest teams offensively since the allstar break. We didnt lack top 6 players, we lacked top 6 production, largely due to Pettersson. So no maybe give yourself a little reality check and step back and realize how fucking low scoring it was through the playoffs yet you think we needed another  winger to help score 5+ goals every game to win.

Pettersson and special teams would have provided that offence. In this series there were 2 double minors and we got 1 fucking shot.  Zero shots last night on 4 mins of PP time.

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Spears in the groin. Crosschecks in the face (yet Soucy was suspended).

Gutless maneuvers that should have been penalized and punished, but the league doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground. 

No consistency in addressing this stuff and it does make one team more tentative while the other is just free rolling out there.

Zero consistency. 

People who say this is "whining" about the officials are the ones who just don't really want to address it. But it's relevant. The team did overcome it for the most part, but I'm sure in the back of their minds they had "don't get suspended" nattering at them. Their physical play dropped off significantly.

Those people who label it as whining are also banal apologists for the officials and the bogus DOPS. In most lines of work, displaying that level of inconsistency would result in a warning, disciplinary action or being fired. In the NHL, there is nothing, and any criticism is met with fines. Mao Tse Bettman doesn't like his officials to be on the receiving end of any critiques whatsoever. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The windows they were talking about, is how many years they have with their current cores before age or contracts will force a re-tool or a rebuild.   Also didn't get into who had the best quality window, was ranked in how many years they had left, and if they didn't consider it a window (chance for a cup) they didn't get a window.    Another way to look at it, is how many years do they have left in their peak cycle with the current core.   Ours thankfully, is just getting started.   EPs contract is long enough, where he quite possibly will be part of 3 different cores from rookie season, to final year.   Horvat, Miller, ?. 

For us it's Demko's and QHs current deals, and maybe JT Miller (age).    They made it 4 playoffs (one down) even though Brock was in there and due for a raise,  OEL etc.  Once QHs gets to free agency, we will either resign him to a 14-16% cap deal (depends on how things go), or have to consider trading, hence a re-tool either by sacrificing something else to keep him (Demko maybe too), or trading to fill other needs in the future.     

It was the second highest of any NHL team.    A lot of the best teams now, only have 1 postseason left before they are where we will be when QHs and Demko are up.   Plus what's left for them this year (EDM). 

Dallas was the only team with no limit.  Given their quantity of young stars, and that they're long in the tooth stars, can easily be replaced with equal or better players using free agency, and add more support.    It's a compliment to be second on the list.  

The only thing they said was EPs new deal is going to put some constraints on how good our current window is.    We've got Miller on a sweetheart deal,  Brock too, Demko, QHs and the rest is more than palatable or not going to cost the farm to move.   And we as a team, have one key guy who's just started his 30's ... we are going to be even better as a group going forward if Allvin can keep up the good work.   This playoffs, that's such a valuable experience for them.  

Once the legacy deals start coming out, windows shrink (sometimes a lot), without re-tooling.    It's possible we could have a window for the duration of EPs next deal, and for sure that will depend on how good Lekkermaki and D-Petey, Willander etc are.    

We've got some great support players.   And some "passengers".    The core, hard not to like it.    EP needs his partner in crime.    And sure he gets what it's going to take next time out.    Wish Forsberg was his uncle.   Or buddy.   He played a bit like him last night as far as willingness goes for sure.    

Lindholm or Guentzal?   That is going to be a tough choice.     

100% agree. The one big feather in the hat we got this offseason was the development of Silovs. If he continues on the track (probably a 1B goalie next year that plays ~30-35 games), we might be able to trade Demko in a couple years; pick up draft capital at that time and free up $ for QH. 

I sign Lindholm. It is such a luxury to have an abundance of good veteran centers. Their FOs won or controlled last night was putrid, but a big reason why we were still in this series after getting dominant in play for large parts. I'd go after a more stop gap top 6 guy (toffoli), and hope that Lekkermaki is ready for a regular role in a year or two.

Milky is gone 

they are going to go hard after 1-2 top 6 wingers 

toffoli or Guentzel 

if Hronek is asking too much they will trade him and sign tanev 

hughes and Petey learned a lot and will be better 

Zads will be back 

if they move milky we have a ton of cap space to play with 

Joshua will be back 

probably Bluegger too 

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I attach a draft pick and move him out; no need for anymore dead money. As you said, use the $ to resign Hronek, Zad, Lindholm, resign Myers (oR another ~3m UFA Dman), and go out and get a Toffoli type winger to bridge to Lekkermaki. I'd also offer Joshua a new contract, but the guy is not worth much more than 2.5-3m; he wasn't consistant enough in the POs, and I think a similar player can be molded into the role by Tocchet.

The team can't afford to miss on another middle six player trying to find EP a partner.   There is zero guarantee's Lekkermaki is going to step right in and succeed as a top six winger.   Feel they might need to bite the bullet and go after Guentzal.    Toffoli, please stop.   His MO, yes he's got a good shot,  but his bread and butter is becoming invisible and then appearing out of nowhere and making easy open net taps.   Has an aversion to contact.   Would rather Joshua plays with EP.   And we pay to get a guy who's at the next level.   Lekkermaki is for near the end of the current window, and hopefully part of the next core.    EP needs a star player to play with.   If Lekkermaki works out too then that's gravy.    Guentzal or Lindholm, won't be an easy choice.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Hoglander scored 24 goals, he's a top 6 winger.  I think they'll also put Garland into the top 6 next year........Suter, I agree.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hoglander scored 24 goals, he's a top 6 winger.  I think they'll also put Garland into the top 6 next year........Suter, I agree.

Garland has proven to be a top six player. His tenacity and drive is awesome and the team is lucky to have him. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The team can't afford to miss on another middle six player trying to find EP a partner.   There is zero guarantee's Lekkermaki is going to step right in and succeed as a top six winger.   Feel they might need to bite the bullet and go after Guentzal.    Toffoli, please stop.   His MO, yes he's got a good shot,  but his bread and butter is becoming invisible and then appearing out of nowhere and making easy open net taps.   Has an aversion to contact.   Would rather Joshua plays with EP.   And we pay to get a guy who's at the next level.   Lekkermaki is for near the end of the current window, and hopefully part of the next core.    EP needs a star player to play with.   If Lekkermaki works out too then that's gravy.    Guentzal or Lindholm, won't be an easy choice.    

Lekkerimaki will be with Petey next season. We could have used him last game too. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No Boeser and Pettersson massively underperforming.
To win that series we needed Pettersson to show up.

Bitching about something different? No Pettersson is very much relevant to the very fucking issue. 1 goal 5 assists. That goal was on the PP and he picked up another apple on the PP. 4. That PP runs through him and Hughes and it fucking died on Petterssons stick. That PP, which he is a key component on, was fucking useless and that falls directly on his shoulders, just like his offensive absence 5v5. 
You think we needed 1 more winger because our one winger was not pulling his weight. To win the cup, yea sure probably needed 1 more winger, but ultimately I believe we coulda pulled it off without that winger. Defence and goaltending made it fuckin easy on our offence keeping everything to a 1 goal low scoring game all bloody playoffs against the two hottest teams offensively since the allstar break. We didnt lack top 6 players, we lacked top 6 production, largely due to Pettersson. So no maybe give yourself a little reality check and step back and realize how fucking low scoring it was through the playoffs yet you think we needed another  winger to help score 5+ goals every game to win.

Pettersson and special teams would have provided that offence. In this series there were 2 double minors and we got 1 fucking shot.  Zero shots last night on 4 mins of PP time.

Even the announcers started in on Mikheyev last night, this time Miller dishing a sweet pass.    Lost count of how many times EP set him up with a primary assist, in a high danger shot, just to muffin it right onto the logo,  rebound swallowed.    It's ok to jump on EP too,  get it out,  he didn't score did he (goals).    Hogs and Ilya M, Lafferty a bit ... they didn't do much (Hogs a little bit) with their time either.  

This teams a lot better then the bubble one was.    Some of the things that gave teams pause pre-draft in both EP AND QHs, came out.  

No reason to focus on the negatives.   Most players fail before they win.   Usually several times. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Garland has proven to be a top six player. His tenacity and drive is awesome and the team is lucky to have him. 

We will be trading away our concrete Garden Gnome. His play has created value for him. Should be able to get picks back. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lekkerimaki will be with Petey next season. We could have used him last game too. 

That's a massive gamble.   SHL is a lot different than the AHL, and NHL.   

Edited by IBatch

Just now, Alflives said:

We will be trading away our concrete Garden Gnome. His play has created value for him. Should be able to get picks back. 

I don't think that's happening. He's staying. Tocc loves him as do his teammates. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think that's happening. He's staying. Tocc loves him as do his teammates. 

Everyone loves Garden Gnome. We need cap space. He is in a new garden next season.