[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

10 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I really hope the stars curb stomp the Oilers. I've really done a 180 on the Oilers. I've lost all respect for them. 

I am different, I lost any respect for them since Game 1 of the regular season. So I have always rooted for any team who played against them. I have no doubt the Stars will stomp them in the next round.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I think that's the consensus here. Most seem to be in the Stars' corner.

110% ... As much as I dislike any team that isn't our beloved Canucks, I would have rooted for Winnipeg or Toronto to win should they have moved on to the SCF - unless of course it was Canucks vs Leafs this year. Having seen Edmonton play these last two rounds and especially against our Canucks, no chance would I cheer them on. GO STARS GO! 

The Coilers could easily represent Canada at this year's Summer Olympics in Paris as our official diving team so they can go kick rocks. Having said that, a moot point as I don't think they will get past Dallas in any event. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2

Canucks lost the special teams battle. Had we even matched the Oilers, the conversation would be a lot different. We’d be talking about the upcoming series with Dallas.

I don’t think we have the team to beat the Stars, and for sure the Oilers don’t.

To do list:

Sign Zads, DJ, Myers at a lower cap hit. 
Dismiss: Mik, Lafferty, PDG, Friedman,Cole

Unlikely to sign: Lindholm ( Boston is my guess), Blueger 

Trade: Hronek, DeSmith

Hire personal trainer: EP 40 (or trade if he doesn’t stick with the program).

Develop: Hogs, Pods,Silovs, Lekk, Willander

Free Agency: RHD to play with QH

Scoring winger with size. 

Thanks to all for a great season. 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No Boeser and Pettersson massively underperforming.
To win that series we needed Pettersson to show up.

Bitching about something different? No Pettersson is very much relevant to the very fucking issue. 1 goal 5 assists. That goal was on the PP and he picked up another apple on the PP. 4. That PP runs through him and Hughes and it fucking died on Petterssons stick. That PP, which he is a key component on, was fucking useless and that falls directly on his shoulders, just like his offensive absence 5v5. 
You think we needed 1 more winger because our one winger was not pulling his weight. To win the cup, yea sure probably needed 1 more winger, but ultimately I believe we coulda pulled it off without that winger. Defence and goaltending made it fuckin easy on our offence keeping everything to a 1 goal low scoring game all bloody playoffs against the two hottest teams offensively since the allstar break. We didnt lack top 6 players, we lacked top 6 production, largely due to Pettersson. So no maybe give yourself a little reality check and step back and realize how fucking low scoring it was through the playoffs yet you think we needed another  winger to help score 5+ goals every game to win.

Pettersson and special teams would have provided that offence. In this series there were 2 double minors and we got 1 fucking shot.  Zero shots last night on 4 mins of PP time.

Pettersson being poor has zero relevance to my original statement, which was discussing wingers. He's a center. So you can bitch all you want about him, but you're speaking into the void. Quite frankly I stopped reading this wall of text after the first 2 sentences. So reply if you want, but you're yelling at clouds (not that it's stopped you in the past). Next time if you want to have a conversation, stay on topic instead of bitching about other things.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Canucks lost the special teams battle. Had we even matched the Oilers, the conversation would be a lot different. We’d be talking about the upcoming series with Dallas.

I don’t think we have the team to beat the Stars, and for sure the Oilers don’t.

To do list:

That's a good blueprint for next season. If the powerplay wasn't complete ass, the Canucks would have been the team moving on. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The team can't afford to miss on another middle six player trying to find EP a partner.   There is zero guarantee's Lekkermaki is going to step right in and succeed as a top six winger.   Feel they might need to bite the bullet and go after Guentzal.    Toffoli, please stop.   His MO, yes he's got a good shot,  but his bread and butter is becoming invisible and then appearing out of nowhere and making easy open net taps.   Has an aversion to contact.   Would rather Joshua plays with EP.   And we pay to get a guy who's at the next level.   Lekkermaki is for near the end of the current window, and hopefully part of the next core.    EP needs a star player to play with.   If Lekkermaki works out too then that's gravy.    Guentzal or Lindholm, won't be an easy choice.    

Giving Lekkermaki a couple years to adjust in the AHL is not rushing in my opinion. A team like Dallas shows that young players can adapt quick IF they have the right team structure and support. In addition, I did say Toffoli type player, not specifically Toffoli himself. The key would be a player that can be signed on a reasonable cap 2-3 year contract (Toffoli has done this ever since leaving LA). If we can't develop players internally we are cooked in the long run.

Definitely a gut punch to lose like that. However there is so much to be proud of with this team. We Realistically were never gonna go from the draft lottery to winning the cup in one off-season. There's a bright future here I really hope we are able to find a way to keep Z, Lindholm, Joshua and Hronek and upgrade on the rest in the off-season.  Another top 6 winger and powerplay coach are really going to help the team take a even bigger step next year, along with the valuable playoff experience we got this year this team is going to come back better than ever next year. There's a lot to be hopeful for on puck drop in October, and I can't wait. Go canucks go

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think that's happening. He's staying. Tocc loves him as do his teammates. 

And so do we.

You don't get players like that very often....he's an absolute pest who never quits and can also score. He's a keeper.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hoglander scored 24 goals, he's a top 6 winger.  I think they'll also put Garland into the top 6 next year........Suter, I agree.

Hoglander had a breakout season, I'm a huge fan of his game. It's a depth and experience issue. He looked overwhelmed these playoffs and was unable to step his game up, and we didn't have the winger depth to fill in his spot. It may not have been the worst if he was the one man on the line that didn't have it, but Mik didn't either, nor did anyone else who was tasked to fill in. Impact winger, and winger depth must be improved this offseason.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

To do list:

Few points:

Why would we not resign Friedman and PDG as depth pieces for 1m or less? They proved to be great depth, and since <1.25m, can be buried in Abbottsford if we need to.

DeSmith is a UFA this year. He will just not be resigned.

I don't get the Hronek hate. All a so so playoffs did is lower his value and potential cap for us. He is a very good top 4 RHD. Once again, we never saw his big bomb point shot in quite awhile. I would guess he was dealing with a significant injury too.

EP needs a good surgeon to fix whatever alignment he picked up mid way through the season.

Bingo! Development in Abbotsford is key. We have a few players that we will need to step up from there in teh next few years.

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

maybe I am, totally agree, just think it’s odd for any team to sign their superstar to a long term extension and structure it with the first year without any protection whatsoever. Rarity. 

Only UFA years can have NTC/NMC protections. The first year of Pettersson's contract he would still be considered a RFA season, so there can't be a NTC/NMC protection.

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Pettersson being poor has zero relevance to my original statement, which was discussing wingers. He's a center. So you can bitch all you want about him, but you're speaking into the void. Quite frankly I stopped reading this wall of text after the first 2 sentences. So reply if you want, but your likely yelling at the void. Next time if you want to have a conversation, stay on topic instead of bitching about other things.

Agree. Anytime you have Suter and Mikheyev as a steady top 6 winger you are in trouble. Hogs is also not, unless he playing at 110%. We really need two more quality top 6 wingers to have a balanced top 9. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think most were expecting lights out play from Pettersson, Hughes, Hronek or any other player who hadn't really had the experience. They were expecting a level of play that for the most part most of the team brought. There were players who were passengers for a large portion of the playoff run. 

I'm perfectly fine, and don't need to chill out. The team can only take positives away and learn from it. They know how much the fans are behind them. Outside of the players and coaching staff, the fans at the home games were one of the greatest things about the playoff run. Anyone saying that Canucks fans are a miserable lot are woefully ignorant and never watched a single home game during the run. 

And those passengers will have to learn not to be passengers. 

Y'all thought this playoffs was stressful/frustrating to watch? The next ones are only going to get worse 😂 (just a general comment, not directing this specifically at you @PhillipBlunt )

11 hours ago, Combover said:

Meh overrated oilers squeaked by a team beat down with injuries to key guys 

We let their  crappy goaltender off the hook by not shooting 

great season and great playoffs by most of our guys 

adreess some weakness in the off-season move on from guys that need to be moved on from. 

fun season and  great we Kept CDC going !!!

GoDallasGo 

Resign ZAD and Lind (now) 

fire the people responsible for the PP

I particularily agree with "fire the people responsible for the PP".

Would love to see us bring back Blueger and Joshua to keep that line in tact but I have a feeling Joshua is going to price us out and walk on us. Lindholm was also a valuable piece in the playoffs and showed his experience and elite two-way play. I hope he'll take something around 7 million on a 4-5 year deal. Put Petey on his wing get them a steady winger not named Mikheyev.

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

And those passengers will have to learn not to be passengers. 

Y'all thought this playoffs was stressful/frustrating to watch? The next ones are only going to get worse 😂 (just a general comment, not directing this specifically at you @PhillipBlunt )

Hahaha. It was stressful, but in the end, I think the majority of Canucks fans are proud of what their team did and where they're going. Truly impressed with the team, and just as impressed with the fans. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No Boeser and Pettersson massively underperforming.
To win that series we needed Pettersson to show up.

Bitching about something different? No Pettersson is very much relevant to the very fucking issue. 1 goal 5 assists. That goal was on the PP and he picked up another apple on the PP. 4. That PP runs through him and Hughes and it fucking died on Petterssons stick. That PP, which he is a key component on, was fucking useless and that falls directly on his shoulders, just like his offensive absence 5v5. 
You think we needed 1 more winger because our one winger was not pulling his weight. To win the cup, yea sure probably needed 1 more winger, but ultimately I believe we coulda pulled it off without that winger. Defence and goaltending made it fuckin easy on our offence keeping everything to a 1 goal low scoring game all bloody playoffs against the two hottest teams offensively since the allstar break. We didnt lack top 6 players, we lacked top 6 production, largely due to Pettersson. So no maybe give yourself a little reality check and step back and realize how fucking low scoring it was through the playoffs yet you think we needed another  winger to help score 5+ goals every game to win.

Pettersson and special teams would have provided that offence. In this series there were 2 double minors and we got 1 fucking shot.  Zero shots last night on 4 mins of PP time.

I apologize if it's already been mentioned as I am late to post but one of the biggest factors in not advancing (and this is not a dig on Silovs) is missing Demko. He has had this inane ability to steal games and the team plays different with him in net. I want him to be 110 percent when the season starts and I also think he will have something to prove to himself next season.

• Like 1

Petey is worth nothing anymore. I bet if Tochet could've he would've benched him, because he was acomplete no show throughout. The contract was the problem. The Canucks have no future with Petey and hughes at the helm. They are too soft with no stamina for playoff hockey. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Few points:

Why would we not resign Friedman and PDG as depth pieces for 1m or less? They proved to be great depth, and since <1.25m, can be buried in Abbottsford if we need to.

DeSmith is a UFA this year. He will just not be resigned.

I don't get the Hronek hate. All a so so playoffs did is lower his value and potential cap for us. He is a very good top 4 RHD. Once again, we never saw his big bomb point shot in quite awhile. I would guess he was dealing with a significant injury too.

EP needs a good surgeon to fix whatever alignment he picked up mid way through the season.

Bingo! Development in Abbotsford is key. We have a few players that we will need to step up from there in teh next few years.

^^^^^^ This ... I am 99% sure Honker had an injury to his right elbow which accounts for his drop in play and the bomb that was missing towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs. The notable exception was the goal he scored in the dying minutes of the 3rd period where he probably said, "well, this is gonna hurt but fuck it" and then let 'er go. 

I for one hope Honker can be resigned for a "reasonable" cap hit, given the summer to heal up and hit the ground running with a retooled Canucks team for 2024-2025.

GO CANUCK GO!

Edited by Rocket-68