[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

Just now, MikeBossy said:

I apologize if it's already been mentioned as I am late to post but one of the biggest factors in not advancing (and this is not a dig on Silovs) is missing Demko. He has had this inane ability to steal games and the team plays different with him in net. I want him to be 110 percent when the season starts and I also think he will have something to prove to himself next season.

Demko got injured. Silov stood on his head. The only reason the Canucks beat Nashville and got to game 7 with the oilers was because of Silov thats it. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I don't get the Hronek hate. All a so so playoffs did is lower his value and potential cap for us. He is a very good top 4 RHD. Once again, we never saw his big bomb point shot in quite awhile. I would guess he was dealing with a significant injury too.

EP needs a good surgeon to fix whatever alignment he picked up mid way through the season.

Why do people make up these excuses for these players. EP and Hronek are just not adapting to playing NHL caliber hockey.

EPs ego enabled him to get a huge contract which he doesn't live up to. I am sure Management would have noticed any issues with his body.

Hronek decides to finally let a clapper go!?!? He has no shot. His points are from Hughes and Hughes alone...

Just stop making up lame excuses for these player who could not step up when it mattered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Only UFA years can have NTC/NMC protections. The first year of Pettersson's contract he would still be considered a RFA season, so there can't be a NTC/NMC protection.

Thanks yes I accidentally double posted and edited the other post last night mentioning the same. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I am really proud of our team, not only for how far they took this but in how they played...with integrity. They did battle two teams at times but they kept pushing and although the narrative was that both teams were diving, Edmonton went full tilt with the whining, complaining, shadowing the refs, etc. For me, it was nauseating and I can't respect a team like that, no matter how good they think they are. Bitter, but this isn't a momentary reaction...can't stand them. My son is one of the most unbiased fans I know and he said Draisaitl is his absolute most hated player because he's so dirty and cocky. I see it. And it was hard to accept McDavid's high stick on Hughes when he did another one down the road. Accidentally on purpose stuff that the world's greatest player shouldn't have to resort to. It cheapens the deal.

But they won and that's that. No matter what unfolded, they outplayed us when it counted most. I do believe this team has to learn not to let the other team dictate play and that when there's "a" game on the line, things change a little in intensity. Do or die stuff.

They gave it a good go at the end and without Demko and Boeser, still managed to fight to the final buzzer. Cardiac kids alright. I do love their resilience and they can be proud of not folding like a cheap tent. 

Nothing that hasn't been said before, but I'm still trying to process it all. The last two games are a huge learning lesson that the team can take away and use for reference.

I'm super excited for the future and to see what's next. Just wasn't ready for it to end yet and feel a little lost today. 

(Took a sick day...needed it)

This times 100.... For me it used to be ' the rat'.... But Dry has taken his place...

I lost everything, when he resorted to belittle a 3rd string goal tender, when he couldn't his the target... I wish Z or Soucy had destroyed 'the dry pig face'.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

That is incorrect on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. Rookie post!

Ok if its so wrong tell me. You're blaming a goalie that was responsible for carrying the team past anywhere they were able to get to otherwise. Typical Canuck fan attitude. Knows nothing 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

Ok if its so wrong tell me. You're blaming a goalie that was responsible for carrying the team past anywhere they were able to get to otherwise. Typical Canuck fan attitude. Knows nothing 

Did I say I'm blaming the Silovs...re-read my post I was responding to YOUR opinion that Silovs was the ONLY reason we beat Nashville. He was a big reason but not the only reason by any reasonable assessment!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Moeknows said:

Did I say I'm blaming the Silovs...re-read my post I was responding to YOUR opinion that Silovs was the ONLY reason we beat Nashville. He was a big reason but not the only reason by any reasonable assessment!

Ok I will change and say main reason. You probably think Petey and Hughes played amazing? 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

It was a surprise that Petey didn't produce during the playoffs... That was part of the problem, together with Mikas ice coldness... If these two top 6 players had produce (Petey in particular) we would have been more the races, and probably even through....

Wished the plugs had been more physical though in the Oilers games... Too little hitting with purpose on the forechecks...

Things to ponder for Allvin over the next months, to ensure we have a better chance next time around...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It was a surprise that Petey didn't produce during the playoffs... That was part of the problem, together with Mikas ice coldness... If these two top 6 players had produce (Petey in particular) we would have been more the races, and probably even through....

Wished the plugs had been more physical though in the Oilers games... Too little hitting with purpose on the forechecks...

Things to ponder for Allvin over the next months, to ensure we have a better chance next time around...

yeah things to ponder...too bad an 11M per year contract was already awarded 

kid's worth has been decimated, they need to trade him for scraps at this point 

Edited by Maniwaki Mauler
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

we need to find at least 1 from within the system

we wont be able to afford 2 being paid full price

hopefully someone surprises at training camp

i still think bains could be the guy. he has phenomenal hands, has taken remarkable steps forward each year, and isnt a liability defensively.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Petey could have definitely been better, he's got it in him. He also had zero support since none of his linemates had anything going either. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

If you have Mikheyev and Suter in your top 6, sorry but you’re not going to go very far. We focused on improving our defence and center depth but failed to improve our top 6 wingers. A Toffoli/Guentzal type might have done wonders. Boeser goes down and we don’t have another top 6 winger.

Too bad LIndholm with Petey didn't work to the max... would have been great and just kept Bluger with Joshua and Garland...

But yes Boeser going down and we don't have anyone to replace him... Maybe next season

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I could never ever own a sports team.  I know, it's probably "just a business" for some of them, but I would be so pissed at paying some of the players so much money and just watch them float some times. 

That said - the Canucks did better than I expected (I didn't expect them to make the playoffs - let alone almost win 2 rounds).

This will be a good learning season for them - I hope they do even better next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

we need to find at least 1 from within the system

we wont be able to afford 2 being paid full price

hopefully someone surprises at training camp

i still think bains could be the guy. he has phenomenal hands, has taken remarkable steps forward each year, and isnt a liability defensively.

I'm stilling holding out for Podkolzin. Maybe Lek could even surprise early. I have faith that Allvin could find some gems in the discount section of the league, be it trade or free agents.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This times 100.... For me it used to be ' the rat'.... But Dry has taken his place...

I lost everything, when he resorted to belittle a 3rd string goal tender, when he couldn't his the target... I wish Z or Soucy had destroyed 'the dry pig face'.

Right? So smug. There's such a sense of entitlement in that room and I hope it comes back to bite them in the butt. Again.

His whole demeanour just rubs me the wrong way. 

• Like 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm stilling holding out for Podkolzin. Maybe Lek could even surprise early. I have faith that Allvin could find some gems in the discount section of the league, be it trade or free agents.

we'll have some good players coming in on ELCs in the next year or two for sure

hogs also broke out hugely this year with 24 goals, most of which was in limited 3rd/4th line minutes. i think its pretty safe to say he belongs in our top6 now

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Petey could have definitely been better, he's got it in him. He also had zero support since none of his linemates had anything going either. 

Unfortunately he did nothing on the powerplay either, cant blame poor quality line mates there. 

pp was another reason for losing

A goal in game 6 on the 5 on 3 or a goal in game 7 on the double minor and its a different game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

Yeah too bad... did you want him signed before the play offs?

I'm asking because just about everyone was concerned, that not signing him would mean we were losing him...

I'm interest in hearing if he hd an injury or not... regardless, time will tell if he is worth the $11,6M or not... this play offs was not good, but its not as if he has play super well for us before... 

Wonder WTF happened at ASG since Petey in particular seemed to play like crap afterwards.

3 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

we'll have some good players coming in on ELCs in the next year or two for sure

hogs also broke out hugely this year with 24 goals, most of which was in limited 3rd/4th line minutes. i think its pretty safe to say he belongs in our top6 now

hopefully, but he looked outmatches this post season. Hopefully he builds confidence over the summer and comes back with fire in his belly.

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

are you high

mcdavid scored 1 goal in 7 games against us, is his worth decimated too?

sheesh. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

Ok I will change and say main reason. You probably think Petey and Hughes played amazing? 

Ignore this Troll, joined forum 35 minutes ago and appears only reason was to stir the pot. Go cheer on your team in the Oilers forum before they get rolled by Dallas.

6th member of my Ignore List.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1