[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  As someone who didn't waver on his deal, going back to how ARI fans were crying tears over him in the OEL deal... well.    Went from a cap dump to fans loving him as they should.   A very good support player.    What's not to like about him?    If everyone had his hustle and heart we'd be in the next round.  

The fans love him and he loves the fans. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

If Honker indeed gets greedy then (i) arbitration / settle before hearing or (ii) arbitration / trade before hearing or (iii) JR drives him to airport on same day the incoming player is to arrive.

I suspect cooler heads will prevail, just my 2 shekels.

Exciting times Canuck fans, exciting times we live in indeed. So exciting that new Trolls just joined this forum because 

.. well they need a good team Troll.

I don't think its a matter of Hronek being greedy. People need to realize he has been dealing with an upper body injury since the second half of the season and it has shown to be a struggle for him to play through at times. He didn't just dry up and stop producing because Hughes made him better and his true game is now showing or that he is simply not good enough. He has shown to have a high battle level throughout. So he is a 40 point defenseman who plays or can play top pairing. I would like to see him back longer term and if it was closer to $ 6.5m per that would be awesome. But since the cap is heading into a projected era of continual rise over the coming years its no surprise that a deal may need to be reached in the $7m+ per range.

Excited to have him as part of the core moving forward.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if Guentzel was a sure thing to come here, what would you give up to move Mik? 

A 1st with no retention, assuming the Guenzel contract were reasonable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't think its a matter of Hronek being greedy. People need to realize he has been dealing with an upper body injury since the second half of the season and it has shown to be a struggle for him to play through at times. He didn't just dry up and stop producing because Hughes made him better and his true game is now showing or that he is simply not good enough. He has shown to have a high battle level throughout. So he is a 40 point defenseman who plays or can play top pairing. I would like to see him back longer term and if it was closer to $ 6.5m per that would be awesome. But since the cap is heading into a projected era of continual rise over the coming years its no surprise that a deal may need to be reached in the $7m+ per range.

Excited to have him as part of the core moving forward.

Did they release a list of injuries to players?

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

A 1st with no retention, assuming the Guenzel contract were reasonable.

Guenzel is a UFA who will likely want +++$. 

The management will find a player that fits the role for less.  They might even go

for an older guy with less term, if they think Lekker will fill the role in a couple of years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Did they release a list of injuries to players?

Not an official that I recall, but informally often teams will say, "player X was dealing with this injury, player Y with that, ..."

No much point really other than to soothe some accusations. Player injuries sometimes can be used as targets in the future  ... but who knows. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Why do people make up these excuses for these players. EP and Hronek are just not adapting to playing NHL caliber hockey.

EPs ego enabled him to get a huge contract which he doesn't live up to. I am sure Management would have noticed any issues with his body.

Hronek decides to finally let a clapper go!?!? He has no shot. His points are from Hughes and Hughes alone...

Just stop making up lame excuses for these player who could not step up when it mattered

So EPs ego made PA and JR give him an 8 year contract versus knowing his lack of production was based on a lingering fixable injury? Wow...sign me up with his agent please! If management had any doubts about his health or ability to play NHL hockey he would not have been signed to an 8 year contract.

And that fact that you disregard Hronek's slapshot obviously shows you have not followed the team all year. His ability to get those shots through traffic for goals, tips or rebounds was huge for us at 5vs5 or on PP2. I remember people screaming for him to be promoted to PP1 simply for this exact reason around Xmas. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Guenzel is a UFA who will likely want +++$. 

The management will find a player that fits the role for less.  They might even go

for an older guy with less term, if they think Lekker will fill the role in a couple of years.

The question was what we would give to get rid of Mik IF that meant got a very good top line winger. I added that it would have to be a player (Guentzel in this case) on a reasonable contract. If its a FA free for all, no thx. BUt yes; a older FA guy on 2-3 year deal is optimal in my opinion (even preferred).

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  As someone who didn't waver on his deal, going back to how ARI fans were crying tears over him in the OEL deal... well.    Went from a cap dump to fans loving him as they should.   A very good support player.    What's not to like about him?    If everyone had his hustle and heart we'd be in the next round.  

No different if we had to give up a 1st round to acquire Myers along with a 8+ million cap hit in terms of dislike.  

Myers is as good a support player that I would have no issue bringing him back at what Florida signed OEL for.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

Trade Demko now that he's worth a lot and sign Silov (keep Desmith he's good too) has more than proven himself. Sign Z, trade Petey for whatever and you got a way better team. 

Dude, You're just trolling at this point, Pretty sure you are going to go on everyone's blocked list and you're going to be talking to yourself at that point..Which you probably already do.

• Desmenko 2

Just now, Canuck You said:

Dude, You're just trolling at this point, Pretty sure you are going to go on everyone's blocked list and you're going to be talking to yourself at that point..Which you probably already do.

Might not be talking too much longer. Time will tell.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Wonder what Zads price is? If they know exactly what it is already, my guess it is fair based on how much he said he and his wife enjoyed Vancouver. Not a discount, but fair.

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

Isn't it about time we got a new head coach is my predicted next post.🤪

There's having a different opinion on a player...and there's batsh*t crazy (IMHO).

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not an official that I recall, but informally often teams will say, "player X was dealing with this injury, player Y with that, ..."

No much point really other than to soothe some accusations. Player injuries sometimes can be used as targets in the future  ... but who knows. 

I don't think Tocchet would want that information getting out. Not his style. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok I will bow out for today considering everyone thinks I'm trolling. Everything I've said has been of my opinion. The fact that it has rubbed everyone the wrong way shouldn't be a reason to corner me. Have some fun with my comments at least even if you don't agree with them. I like old hockey. I got back into hockey just these playoffs as the Canucks seemed to have turned a corner only to have disappointed. They had this series locked up. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No different if we had to give up a 1st round to acquire Myers along with a 8+ million cap hit in terms of dislike.  

Myers is as good a support player that I would have no issue bringing him back at what Florida signed OEL for.

Yes I suppose some folks couldn't separate that (Garland).   As for Myers, he became Edler haters lightning rod pretty fast.   Now people that said mean things about him, want him back.  Go figure.   Maybe, just maybe we were always going to suck after 14 years of kicking ass.    For those who haven't figured it out yet, we are a max tax team, and on pretty much any players 7 team NTC list,  competing against 31 other teams.   This could be as good as it gets right now and for the next 3 seasons for another long period of time.    Embrace it.  

And yes bring Myers back.  I sure would.   At OEL's to Ian Cole's cap hit, he's going to get at least a 3 x 3 deal somewhere. 

We needed a "finisher".   JB definitely wasn't that. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2