[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Exactly!

There was "dump" but then everyone went off for a change and Edmonton simply grabbed the puck to take it the other way. It was really glaring to me yesterday. 

We may have to give Edmonton some credit for this. What I noticed in the last couple of games in particular is that Edmonton was doing what the Canucks were doing early in the season. They were sending two aggressive forecheckers. The Canucks were still beating those forecheckers and transitioning.. but with a line that needed a change.. so dump and change. 

What the Canucks as a whole.. and Hughes in particular have been good at doing was holding the puck waiting for the change and then transitioning. The aggressive forecheckers were not allowing it particularly in period 1. It was honestly a good adjustment for Edmonton. It was forcing the Canucks to not play with possession.. which is what the Canucks low shot style requires to be successful

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Did they release a list of injuries to players?

Not that I am aware of.

I am sure we will start to hear who had what in terms of injuries after exit meetings but simply seeing how some players managed their play on the ice you can tell there were injuries.

Hronek seems to have done something around 3/4 into the season, affecting his upper body.

Hughes zigged one too many times when he should have zagged and got caught with a couple devastating hits behind the net in the Nashville series that put him out of commission or diminished him substantially, looks like left upper body injury.

^^ two players that stood out for me anyways. Happy to be wrong but don't think that is the case.

• Upvote 1

I really wish we could of made round 3 but on the positive aide this will give BB and Demmer a chance to fully recover without bringing them back to early. I think we successfully created the floor on what this team should be and can definitely shoot for higher ground in future seasons. I would like to trade Hronek/Mik  for picks and dump. If we can get a couple short term defensive dman that we can utilize until the point of Willander and d-petey being readythat would be ideal. We also need someone elite along side EP40 next season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Few points:

Why would we not resign Friedman and PDG as depth pieces for 1m or less? They proved to be great depth, and since <1.25m, can be buried in Abbottsford if we need to.

DeSmith is a UFA this year. He will just not be resigned.

I don't get the Hronek hate. All a so so playoffs did is lower his value and potential cap for us. He is a very good top 4 RHD. Once again, we never saw his big bomb point shot in quite awhile. I would guess he was dealing with a significant injury too.

EP needs a good surgeon to fix whatever alignment he picked up mid way through the season.

Bingo! Development in Abbotsford is key. We have a few players that we will need to step up from there in teh next few years.

Good points. Friedman and PDG were adequate give their roles. I was thinking along the lines of finding a bigger defender instead of Friedman and a younger version of PDG with a higher ceiling.

PDG did everything that was asked of him, so I wouldn’t be disappointed if he came back next year.

I’m not a Hronek hater, but I do think that his contract demands may not fit within our Cap structure. Better to trade him for a developing young RHD, such as Juricek, than let him wal for nothing.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Man if Mik scored when he was in alone at the beginning of the game.. things could have been different.

God damn i hate the ‘what if’ game after a loss 🫠

Yeah I know... If my auntie had a ...., she'd be my uncle... kinda stuff...

Frustrating how he has totally forgotten how to put the puck into the back of the net... He make LE look like an all star...

If I am honest, it would only be the joy of beating the Oilers and their diving, arrogant pigs led by the Master Diver himself and the annoyingly disrespectful clown Dry shite... I don't see a world Canucks could beat Dallas without Demko or Boeser, especially without Petey firing on all cylinders...

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Guentzel is a UFA, so they can get him for +++$ on the market. 

I think that Hronek + 1st would get a good player return, plus moving Mik.

Depending on the price tag for Hron, I'm not so sure about trading a guy

that was battling an injury during the playoffs.  He's a much better player

that what we saw in the P/Os.

Replacing 2 RDs(+Myers) in the offseason is a difficult task.  I don't think an

aging Tanev makes the team better.  Also, at his age, he will be looking for

his 'swan song' contract; term, $ and NMC.

Yes, its the fact we need to move $ to make room for him, and getting rid of Mika would cost us...

In order to get rid of Mika, we'll need to add something another team could use.. a 1st + a restricted free agent for another year, could be what is needed... 

I don't really know what else we can add to Mikas contract to off lot him... It's actually disappointing as he was decent infant of the net last season.... But he totally lost his mojo now.

I don't have an issue with Hronek, but if he wants $8M as reported, then I think he'll be treated like Horvat... Its all about numbers $$$...

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

We need our NBA team back...Or even a MLB team, Be nice to have more then 1 major sport in Vancouver.

Vancouver isn't really a sports town.  I'll bet that a majority of Canuck fans don't watch the P/Os

now that their team is out of it.  They watch the sports news to see what's happening.

They tend to be Canuck fans, more than hockey fans.

I don't see it as a good or bad thing.  Most likely, they will be outside; camping, sporting,

boating, biking, hiking, etc and basically enjoying themselves. It's the way it is on the coast.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My wife is happy too.  If she's happy, I'm happy.  :hurhur:

Its A Trap GIF

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I know... If my auntie had a ...., she'd be my uncle... kinda stuff...

Frustrating how he has totally forgotten how to put the puck into the back of the net... He make LE look like an all star...

If I am honest, it would only be the joy of beating the Oilers and their diving, arrogant pigs led by the Master Diver himself and the annoyingly disrespectful clown Dry shite... I don't see a world Canucks could beat Dallas without Demko or Boeser, especially without Petey firing on all cylinders...

Aren't those things possible nowadays?

• Haha 1

Oilers fans and media can only flex so much today. We took them to Game 7. 

We had the opportunity to win the series when we were up 3-2. We weren't going to win with 2-3 shots per period.

So many positives for us though looking ahead. It's a good thing we have competent management. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

All of a sudden, not having your most productive player of late, one that worked wonderfully with Miller, was a nightmare. One that was just not doable.

Not an excuse, just a fact.

Lack of top 6 winger depth. They got good center depth to overcome an injury though. 

Management knew but they didn't want to gamble the future to get one. Too bad if was BB that got injured.  I don't fault the management since they have a 3-4 yr plan to contend.  

Gonna be another fun off-season to see what surgery Dr Rutherford will perform. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not angry, mad, or emotional today at all. That was one helluva season and couple rounds.

Our guys got so much experience and now know what it takes to be a top team and to win in the playoffs. Also how much of a battle it is from series to series. 

Silovs emerged. We have two starters in net and we won't need to rely on Demko to grind out more than he should.

We need more guys like Miller, Garland, Joshua, Zad ... with that type of compete.

Now it's time for PA and JR to get to work and identify the pieces we're lacking. Also need to identify Plan B on Boeser should his condition be more serious. 

Management walked their talk. We exceeded expectations. Time to keep focused on building. 

Agree, though I think Joshua left a bit to be desired. He made amazing first games in both series, but became invisible for most others. He needs to provide more energy and physical play if he wants a big pay day. Given how Garland was a huge reason for his play (like others say of Hronek), he is a 2-2.5m guy in my books. Any more.....let RT do some scouting and find another harder working guy he can coach up and place with Garland.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

And ... this has all been invaluable for showing exactly what it takes to win, the sacrifices you need to make, how punishing the playoffs are on the body, and the many obstacles a team faces in a series - including the refs and cheap shots.

Also, just how important it is to prepare in the offseason and have the right mindset and habits to start the season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lack of top 6 winger depth. They got good center depth to overcome an injury though. 

Management knew but they didn't want to gamble the future to get one. Too bad if was BB that got injured.  I don't fault the management since they have a 3-4 yr plan to contend.  

The shit thing was the loss of Brock Boeser and how he jived with JT Miller.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

I think with little $, PA and JR just kept waiting for Mikaheyev to show up......never happened