[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Even after sobering up your usual terrible take did not improve 

Well, the season would not be complete without one last farewell comment re Lind-🏠 - would it!  Have a great summer and we'll see which team he lands with next year or if he finally heads back to "the motherland" to finish-off his last few years in the SHL.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I saw someone relishing the moment, taking in fuel to come back better next season

This is what I thought as well. He was feeling the agony of defeat knowing this will help channel his energies moving forward. The young man struggled, but there is no doubt in my mind about his competitiveness and desire to win. This adversity will fuel him.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

So I made myself a promise to not post after the game and wait until the next day when all the alcohol had eveporated out my system and i could comment on a fresh sober mind and make any knee-jerk comments.

SO after a good nights sleep, I can "clearly" say in complete sobriety that:

1) All Swedes (EP40, Amen, Hogs, Karlsson and Lind-🏠) must be let go or traded.  Especially Petty, who barely looked like a $2M timid swedish player and slid under a rock and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is definately not worth $12 million McDavid/McKinnon dollars.  He might be a great regular season Finesse player to take the wife & kiddies to see in December but was completely useless these playoffs and only had 1 goal and only 2 goals since the end of last winter (Mar 25th) - hardly worth mentioning!   In any event, it's should now be pretty clear to "the deniers" that he sure isn't the player to build this franchise around - if there was ever any doubt about that - and as I stated all season.  Unless he can step-it up, put on 25+ pounds, grow a pair and earn his keep, the Canucks should seriously consider cashing him out as they could get a huge haul for him from some desperate, unsuspecting bottom dwelling eastern conf team and we all know better that after 50+ years of having several swedish finesse players at the helm we'll never-ever win a cup with a swedish finesse player being the prominent player on this team.

Been there - done that for half a century - thank you very much!

2) Ian Cole was by far the worst D-Man by a country mile, directly responsible for 7 goals (2 of which he put in his own net) which caused two of the losses.    He is too old and it showed as the playoffs progressed and he got slower and slower and made many terrible "panic" plays (too many to mention).  

3) Horn-Wreck was just O.K. and has now proven he is not worth more than Q.H.'s and the $8,000,000.00 Million dollars his agent said he's demanding. Keeping him around last years salary - or with a token increase - is about all I'd pay him or let him go.

4) Miller played OK and is certainly a good booster for the team but we could all see that as the playoffs wore on he was getting worn out and made more & more bad passes, had trouble stick handling, lost the puck under pressure and missed the net on his shots most of the time.   While he certainly earned his keep for the most part this year, I'd be concerned as he's getting "over the hill" at 31 and he'll be almost 40 when his contract ends at the beginning of the next decade and was outskated/outplayed by some of the younger players throughout both series. Something to keep an eye on and I predict will become more and more problamatic in due course as he ages into his senior years.

5) BB6 is a 100% pure "Shooter"!  While he can certainly "put them in the net", he adds little other value to the team as he can't stickhandle, back-check/ fore-check, drive plays (as he always dumps the puck in at the blue line and peels off and never carries it into the O zone) and will rarely get physical - despite his size.

He's about worth his contract value, but I would not be surprised to see the Canucks "cash him out" down the road at contract time for a more "rounded" player.  I'd say he's the most likely "top" player to get sold as he is the most obvious one-dimensional star player we have out of the 5.

6) Mikeyev - well, we all know where he needs to go (KHL).   Probably the most useless high paid slug we've ever seen since O.E.L. and should have been removed months ago.  JR/PA missed the boat on this guy - that's for sure!  

6) As for Big "Z" and Joshua - we all know they need to sign those guys - so nothing more need be said.  

7) Garland, Q.H.'s and most of our defence played pretty good and nothing of major concern there.  Even Myers, who might be worth resigning at a reasonable team friendly rate.

8 She-💗's did a fantastic job in net and I now officially pronounce him as our Back-up GT for next year.   Thank you D-Smith and good luck in your future endevours.

9) As for the rest of the 3rd/4th line "plugs" and one or two 3rd line D's - they can do whatever with those guys and suspect half of them won't be back and they'll become distant memories by Canada day.

10) Last but not least, Tock-it did a great job getting the players back on a path forward and while he is personallypartially responsibe for the sucess we've seen this season, I hope he learned to pace Demko better next year and not overplay him in useless games like he did in February so he doesn't get worn out and injured.  Now that She-💗's will be our B/U he can better manage crease duties and keep everyone even-keeled.  As for his overall coaching decsions, he did well but made a few questionable decisions along the way (like playing 2 D's on the PP yesterday in the final game) and had a few other "moments" during the season leaving us scratching our heads - but was an asset to the organization - for sure.

Finally, on the whole, the canucks did very well this season and exceeded expectations and after these two rounds of playoffs expossed their strengths & weaknesses of the team for PA and JR to address in the off season and next year.  One thing for sure though, is that we need more secondary scoring above all, physicality and size/speed to push thru the playoffs and while Mgmt took big steps in addressing this during the year, there's still more work to be done and to make major decisions re our top players which I strongly feel still needs a shake-up.

Congrats Canucks and look forward to next year.  It was a fun ride - best in 13 years!

GCG!

I appreciate your honesty with the harsher comments, which might not be popular, but I agree for the most part.

Petey has struggled big time since the all star break. It was his first "real" playoffs and if he was playing hurt, then I'll give the benefit. But if there was no injury, then it is very concerning.

Petey's (and soon to be Hughes') salary (and OEL's $4.766 penalty 17 months from now) might prevent the Canucks from putting together a proper contender. Look at TOR, can't afford a better D core and goaltender, thanks to their big 4.

I would be sad, but not opposed to, trading Petey for the right return to improve this playoff team. 

Continuing with the Swedes, Lindholm was really good in these playoffs, excellent centreman and pk. I hope we can keep him. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Silovs just played 10 straight playoff games. 
The coach loves him, the team loves him. 
He has made the NHL. DeSmith is a UFA backup. Why on earth would Silovs not be in the NHL next year? 

He will likely play 25-30 games as the NHL backup; whereas he will be the starter in the AHL with

50-60games. 

Who knows what's going on with Demko and injuries, but I would feel more confident if the Nucks

had a decent backup that can share the starter games with Silovs.  Otherwise, they have

Silovs and an AHL backup🫣 

I will trust whatever Ian Clarke decides next season.

• Like 1

I do find it really interesting how willing people are to defend Pettersons performance and attack Mik, or Lafferty, or Suter for their lack of production.

Really anyone who has issue with Mik not showing up for playoffs, should be double upset with Pettersson. 

We made it to game 7 in round 2 with only 2 players (Miller & Boes) playing like top 6 wingers. Mik, Suter, Lafferty and Hogz were all asked to play above their skill level, and are being chastised for not rising to the occasion. For me Pettersons complete no show is what killed us. 

A 100pt player who ends his playoff run on a 20pt pace is a major issue. Maybe if he performed better his wingers would have been given more chances, and not the other way around. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I do find it really interesting how willing people are to defend Pettersons performance and attack Mik, or Lafferty, or Suter for their lack of production.

Really anyone who has issue with Mik not showing up for playoffs, should be double upset with Pettersson. 

We made it to game 7 in round 2 with only 2 players (Miller & Boes) playing like top 6 wingers. Mik, Suter, Lafferty and Hogz were all asked to play above their skill level, and are being chastised for not rising to the occasion. For me Pettersons complete no show is what killed us. 

A 100pt player who ends his playoff run on a 20pt pace is a major issue. Maybe if he performed better his wingers would have been given more chances, and not the other way around. 

Lindholm? Garland? give them some credit. Easily two of the best forwards of the series.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This is what I thought as well. He was feeling the agony of defeat knowing this will help channel his energies moving forward. The young man struggled, but there is no doubt in my mind about his competitiveness and desire to win. This adversity will fuel him.

With Petey, I keep thinking back to MJ and the Bulls before their first 3 peat.  MJ and the Bulls were too soft to beat Detroit and the "bad boys" of the NBA.  As Jordan would say; "he took that personally", and I think Petey is too, hence the turn and look back.

This is what Petey needs to get to the next level, that pain and hatred of losing.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Not an attack on Petey, but I would like to hear him admit how average he was, how upset he is with his performance, and how he vows to put in the off season training to be his best yet for 2024/25 and playoffs next year.

It would go a long way to see some passion and drive out of Elias, a little bit of life instead of mumbling one word answers into a microphone.

He'll be 26 next season. Still waiting to see Forsberg. 😋

I ain't even mad. Just darn proud of this group. What a learning experience this was. I'll take making these kinds of strides any fucking day over being caught in rebuild purgatory like Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit. We're going to scorch this league in the coming years...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Lindholm? Garland? give them some credit. Easily two of the best forwards of the series.

Well they were arguably the 3rd line.. so of course they had a hell of a playoffs. Especially Lindholm. 

That's not what my post was getting at though

Gawd I hate Kypreos's show on SN.  He'd been slagging the Canucks all season.  As some fluke team.  Predicted Nashville to win, and of course the Oilers would demolish us quickly.  Now that Edmonton has won, he and his eastern media cohorts are patting themselves on the back how right they were about Canucks being garbage.

• Cheers 2

Listening to post game with the Rick Tocchet interview is concerning. Absolutely no mentioning of the lack of forecheck being an issue. 

That was by far our biggest downfall the past 2 games and for him to be asked on what he felt he could have improved is definitely worrisome heading into another season. Said the buy in was fantastic so I dunno what his game plan is as a coach. I was hoping the boys were playing scared but maybe they were playing according to plan.

22 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

It is odd that Pettersson's lifeless play for the majority of the playoffs is glossed over but role players like Mikeyev, Suter, and Lafferty are lambasted. He'll need to find that other gear, as the scrutiny rightfully coming his way this off season, and leading into next season, is going to be enormous.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

It stung.... never nice to get to the end of the road...

But the boys gave it a good go... At times they were flying... 

Its been a good season... the future is bright...

Oh, and please don't vote for additional Canucks at next years all star game...🙄🙄🙄...

Yup let them   R E S T !!!!!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He will likely play 25-30 games as the NHL backup; whereas he will be the starter in the AHL with

50-60games. 

Who knows what's going on with Demko and injuries, but I would feel more confident if the Nucks

had a decent backup that can share the starter games with Silovs.  Otherwise, they have

Silovs and an AHL backup🫣 

I will trust whatever Ian Clarke decides next season.

Silovs and Tolopilo spilt this year in Abby, with almost identical stat lines. Silovs will stay with Vancouver next season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is odd that Pettersson's lifeless play for the majority of the playoffs is glossed over but role players like Mikeyev, Suter, and Lafferty are lambasted. He'll need to find that other gear, as the scrutiny rightfully coming his way this off season, and leading into next season, is going to be enormous.

I think we all were tired of looking at Petey and talking about him.

It was like beating his dead corpse...lol

I know he was a no-show and hoped for the best in the post season but he could not "Step up" 

Edited by DarthMelvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Meh. What he says to the press/media is of far less importance than what he says to the players in the exit interviews. Really, the comments to the media is really window dressing. 

More than likely. I just hate the trend of the way the team is playing. Trending downwards and the entire playoff run was overly defensive when it didn't need to be. 

Next season will tell all, I suppose.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Meh. What he says to the press/media is of far less importance than what he says to the players in the exit interviews. Really, the comments to the media is really window dressing. 

We played game seven like we didn’t wanna break into a sweat… We didn’t play to win - I couldn’t believe the fact that all we did was dump it in and make line changes in the first half of the game… we only started to put any pressure on in the third… when we were down 3-0… then when we decided to play we completely dominated…

Which was a real head scratcher…

like was there script???

because after game five they didn’t show up… Makes me wonder if the whole thing was fixed… Because we are a better team than Edmonton no problem - they just have two good players and that’s it… I’m so angry right now the way it was officiated the NHL definitely favoured the Oilers the whole time it makes me not wanna watch hockey anymore be honest with you…. Slime ball league 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I think we all were tired of looking at Petey and talking about him.

It was like beating his dead corpse...lol

I know he was a no-show and hoped for the best in the post season but he could not "Step up" 

Yeah we just disconnected from the shit show that he was since the All-Star break

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Not an attack on Petey, but I would like to hear him admit how average he was, how upset he is with his performance, and how he vows to put in the off season training to be his best yet for 2024/25 and playoffs next year.

It would go a long way to see some passion and drive out of Elias, a little bit of life instead of mumbling one word answers into a microphone.

He'll be 26 next season. Still waiting to see Forsberg. 😋

The reason why he mumbled answers is because he's already answered them for months previously. There's nothing more to say and he was tired of being asked it.