[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Off-topic but....

History of the "original six" NHL....

Essentially the league thru much of this time was a three team league (heh, even far less than the CFL).  Toronto, Montreal, and Detroit.  Yes there were three other US teams but the Red Wings had significant control/indirect ownership of the other three US teams (it wasn't referred to as the "Norris [Red Wings owner] league" for nothing.

That’s still happening im sure…

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, rmok said:

Zadorov was the best performing Dman in the playoffs (arguably myers). Yes he is a 4-5 guy but his skill and size on the back end won't get replaced. They need to try to retain him.. but it shouldn't be at any cost. before the playoffs I'd probably have gone to 4.5 (currently at 3.75) so less than a million raise. Seeing him perform in the playoffs I'd probably go to 5 depending on the term. I'd be very hesitant to go over 5 though. 

Joshua was not good in the playoffs outside of both game 1's. Don't have an issue of resigning him at a reasonable price.. but all the people talking about him making bank.. no way.. not on this team, he is definitely replaceable. 

Totally agree - he was so noticeable and menacing - and still had that grin in that handshake (great character). I am not sure 5M+ will do it - there are quite a few teams with cap space that may get him the 6M range possibly overpaying.  If it does get out the range, hope JR PA can go the other way and maybe sign two "big defense men" for 3-3.25 each instead.  Does not need to be superstars - just someone our D coaches can work with and improve.

You can never have too much depth whether on defense or multiple scoring forwards.  We lost BB (our top scoring forward) - had a huge impact in game 7.  Dallas has 7-8 forwards (youth, core, veterans) and can adapt accordingly.  Depth is something I hope JR can work on - will need to be creative like what Florida and how they got some of their players (buyout players / first rounders who teams gave up on etc)

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Goalscoring has been the problem both in the Nashville and Edmonton series... why bring in proven pluggers to replace Boeser?

Not smart.  Should have given some creative goalscorer a chance...  instead he went with 'defensively reponsible'... and ended up with nothing.

hindsight is 20-20.....I think if he put in a rookie who made a rookie mistake he'd be blamed for that as well.  At the end of the day, there were no obvious choices.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think why this hurts is that we are a better team than we showed against Edmonton. We are better than those guys. 

We were down to our 3rd string goalie. Petey playing not up to potential. Soucy suspension and Boeser injury. 

Edmonton is a team of pretenders. 

Hurts losing to those guys. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Am I dissappointed the season is over? Of course I am. Am i dissappointed in the team? Hell no!!!!! The way i look at it, nobody really thought we would make the playoffs. The hockey news has us finishing 6th in the division, ahead of Anaheim and San Jose. So we proved them wrong. Not only did the guys make the playoffs, they won the fucking division. Even Demko going down didn't sink em like most thought. Now comes the fun part. Built off of it!!!!!! Next season can't start soon enough!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think why this hurts is that we are a better team than we showed against Edmonton. We are better than those guys. 

We were down to our 3rd string goalie. Petey playing not up to potential. Soucy suspension and Boeser injury. 

If the Canucks had everyone going and engaged, they would have beat the Oilers. No doubt.

Had Pettersson been on from puck drop of Game 1 in Nashville.

Had Demko not went down to injury.

Had Hronek provided secondary scoring, backing up Hughes, including taking runs at the Preds that hit Hughes. 

Had Mikheyev never been signed. 

Had Boeser not had the unfortunate medical ailment that I hope he makes a full recovery from. 

Had Cole been sat for Juulsen. 

I think some want to spread the idea that the Canucks were a lesser team. When they were engaged, they dominated the Oilers.

They just didn’t know how to wield it all yet. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes!!!

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the Canucks had everyone going and engaged, they would have beat the Oilers. No doubt.

Had Pettersson been on from puck drop of Game 1 in Nashville.

Had Demko not went down to injury.

Had Hronek provided secondary scoring, backing up Hughes, including taking runs at the Preds that hit Hughes. 

Had Mikheyev never been signed. 

Had Boeser not had the unfortunate medical ailment that I hope he makes a full recovery from. 

Had Cole been sat for Juulsen. 

I think some want to spread the idea that the Canucks were a lesser team. When they were engaged, they dominated the Oilers.

They just didn’t know how to wield it all yet. 

Yup you said it man…

this is growing pains…

need to acquire character dudes who have heart.. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

Idk  if they played half that game like they did the last ten minutes we’re probably still playing hockey rn …. Kinda tough to swallow 

Hopefully they remember this for this time next year and have learned how to push through.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I do find it really interesting how willing people are to defend Pettersons performance and attack Mik, or Lafferty, or Suter for their lack of production.

Really anyone who has issue with Mik not showing up for playoffs, should be double upset with Pettersson. 

We made it to game 7 in round 2 with only 2 players (Miller & Boes) playing like top 6 wingers. Mik, Suter, Lafferty and Hogz were all asked to play above their skill level, and are being chastised for not rising to the occasion. For me Pettersons complete no show is what killed us. 

A 100pt player who ends his playoff run on a 20pt pace is a major issue. Maybe if he performed better his wingers would have been given more chances, and not the other way around. 

Not only that, he had only scored 2 goals (count 'em......2) Since March 25th last winter and disappeared once his BIG $ contract was in the bag.   Totally unacceptable and I can 100% guarantee you if that continues into next season that pressure will be on PA to get rid of him - despite him being one of his "homeboys".  This contract is shaping up to be the next L.E., O.E.L., Sundin swedish prima donna contract fiasco's (amongst the many others Canucks fans have had to endure over the past 50 years) if things continue.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not only that, he had only scored 2 goals (count 'em......2) Since March 25th last winter and disappeared once his BIG $ contract was in the bag.   Totally unacceptable and I can 100% guarantee you if that continues into next season that pressure will be on PA to get rid of him - despite him being one of his "homeboys".  This contract is shaping up to be the next L.E., O.E.L., Sundin swedish fiasco (amongst many others) if things continue.

Petey needs some one on one time with “Iron Mike” 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

Idk  if they played half that game like they did the last ten minutes we’re probably still playing hockey rn …. Kinda tough to swallow 

Totally agree 

Just now, igorwasgreat said:

Petey needs some one on one time with “Iron Mike” 

Yup a wake up…

he’s numb…

we have no idea what is going on with him…

maybe he’s being called home…

just like…

Sci-Fi Wow GIF by MANGOTEETH

51 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If we played the first and second periods like the first we would have won.

Saying that we did make a game of it,and I am proud to be a Canucks fan.

Like the third period you mean?

1 hour ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Totally agree - he was so noticeable and menacing - and still had that grin in that handshake (great character). I am not sure 5M+ will do it - there are quite a few teams with cap space that may get him the 6M range possibly overpaying.  If it does get out the range, hope JR PA can go the other way and maybe sign two "big defense men" for 3-3.25 each instead.  Does not need to be superstars - just someone our D coaches can work with and improve.

You can never have too much depth whether on defense or multiple scoring forwards.  We lost BB (our top scoring forward) - had a huge impact in game 7.  Dallas has 7-8 forwards (youth, core, veterans) and can adapt accordingly.  Depth is something I hope JR can work on - will need to be creative like what Florida and how they got some of their players (buyout players / first rounders who teams gave up on etc)

Well we went pretty far in the playoffs with a invisible alien known as Petey - why can’t we just unload Petey get a couple of character players to replace him in the top six… And retain Zadorov… 

Yeah something needs to happen with the alien…

I would have no problem trading him for a much tougher 80 point character player with heart… playoff performer… 

Who would then play wing with Lindholm… to form a second line…

clear some cap space to sign Zadorov and Lindholm…

Have Silovs backup Demko… 

• Like 1