[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not only that, he had only scored 2 goals (count 'em......2) Since March 25th last winter and disappeared once his BIG $ contract was in the bag.   Totally unacceptable and I can 100% guarantee you if that continues into next season that pressure will be on PA to get rid of him - despite him being one of his "homeboys".  This contract is shaping up to be the next L.E., O.E.L., Sundin swedish prima donna contract fiasco's (amongst the many others Canucks fans have had to endure over the past 50 years) if things continue.

Doesn't Petey have a NTC kick in for the full duration of his contract?

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

There are enough people running around this world sporting enormous tinfoil hats thus don't subscribe to conspiracy theories myself.

However, in the spirit of humouring ourselves assume such a thing was even remotely plausible. That would mean 7 of the 32 teams would be "happy" with wining a Stanley Cup once every 30 - 40 years or so (the Oilers won't make it past Dallas). None of the 7 team owners would stand for that as the "business" you subscribe to involves paying back the fans of their teams with a shiny bobble every now and then otherwise they will lose interest = money for said owners.

And the amount of people it would take to organize such a travesty would literally number in the 1,000's and a disgruntled employee or a patriot would have long ago become Deep Throat and blown the story open by splashing it over every newspaper in North America prompting an instant "rigging da game" investigation by Congress and every MP sitting in Ottawa. To do otherwise would have every said MP strung up their their privates by incensed constituents. The old saying "three can keep a secret if two are dead" could not be applied to a more deserving scenario than fixing who wins the Stanley Cup by a group of creeps (*cough* Bettman) sitting in a smoky room in the back of a Mexican strip joint in TJ.

Does fixing of games happen, absolutely, but a very small group of dedicated people and in most case they are eventually found out.

Now onto Quebec ... just kidding ... I don't need bombs mailed to my house thank you very much. Politics is touchy enough without us little people trying to wade into the swamp.

GO CANUCK GO!!!!!

Lol yes one can speculate…

The world is a dark place the deeper you go…

but all the same…

we want the ‘Nucks to bring Lord Stanley home to his park in Vancouver…

Go Canucks Go!!!

Vancouver Canucks GIF by Aman Brah

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Doesn't Petey have a NTC kick in for the full duration of his contract?

Hope not…

dude is a pencil among Oaks…

Zero compete…

we need someone with fire… and a never say die mentality…

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I didn't see him playing "timid" at all.

Without confidence? Sure. Not timid, as he was throwing big hits out there.

Throwing hits and taking hits are not near the same. Pretty easy to dish a but, it takes balls to take a hit. Something Pettersson shied away from a lot. Which could be an indication of an injury. If you think back, I’m certain you will remember plenty of times Petey let them get the puck.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Hope not…

dude is a pencil among Oaks…

Zero compete…

we need someone with fire… and a never say die mentality…

1st year of Petey's contract has no clauses meaning PA/JR could trade him to the Kunlun Red Stars if they so desired. 

Years 2 - 8 have a full NMC attached.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Totally agree - he was so noticeable and menacing - and still had that grin in that handshake (great character). I am not sure 5M+ will do it - there are quite a few teams with cap space that may get him the 6M range possibly overpaying.  If it does get out the range, hope JR PA can go the other way and maybe sign two "big defense men" for 3-3.25 each instead.  Does not need to be superstars - just someone our D coaches can work with and improve.

You can never have too much depth whether on defense or multiple scoring forwards.  We lost BB (our top scoring forward) - had a huge impact in game 7.  Dallas has 7-8 forwards (youth, core, veterans) and can adapt accordingly.  Depth is something I hope JR can work on - will need to be creative like what Florida and how they got some of their players (buyout players / first rounders who teams gave up on etc)

I say for sure give the man 6x5. He proved he is worth it. He is only going to get better too I believe "old man strength will become a factor" until a point where the drop off will be sharp I think 6x5 gives you his best years and could be a steal. 

My guess is Lindholm as much as he was very valuable these playoffs I also felt to a degree that resulted in a less effective Pete not to be an apologist Pete was soundly out played by Lindholm.  

If you'll allow me to ramble. De Smith wasn't bad at all by any means. Silov's performance shouldn't be a reflection on De Smith as less than. Silov's played great and won the spot. You have to run with the guy who is giving you what you need at the moment to win. 

Right now when I consider the viability of keeping only 1 of Pete Lindholm and dealing Pete for a big banana. I think back to when Halak wen't on that run with the canadians and he walked (I think) and the Canadiens kept Price instead. 

It's a terrible analogy but I guess what I'm getting at is Pete is the guy you build around. Lindholm played great but ultimately this is pertty much the cieling for that set up. Pete reaching a new level of play after this experince is a much greater cieling for this team. As much as Lindholm and Hronek were costly and moving on from them and the assets paid is tough. I think we get a young winger or 3c for Hronek to play with Pete and move on from Lindholm to re up Zad and Dakota who showed that they are entering their prime and blossoming.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You must have not been watching the games.  Petey is FULL of compete.  Did you watch his linemates in the playoffs?  You think playing with Mikheyev helped Petey to be more competitive?  What about Karlsson and Lafferty?  How many goals did Hoglander score in the playoffs?  The games where Petey was playing at an elite level was when he was playing with real top 6 forwards like Miller, Boeser and Lindholm...

Getting Petey more suitable line mates has to be a huge priority for the team. If so, he has such huge potential.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Getting Petey more suitable line mates has to be a huge priority for the team. If so, he has such huge potential.

He also has to motivate himself to be a force that makes others better. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He also has to motivate himself to be a force that makes others better. 

The Sedins could make Jeff Cowan a scorer but couldn't get Hansen to score. Some guys (mik) just have no touch. He's otherwise serviceable but couldn't beat a shootr tutor.  

Honestly I really liked Joshua with Hoglander and Pete Miller Garland in game 7.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 7:25 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

23 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Or you just completely ignoring the premise of my post so you can bitch about something different?

23 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Pettersson being poor has zero relevance to my original statement

Was that first quote not your “original” statement? Was that not the “premise” of your post? 

I am allowed to disagree with your statement. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Care to tell me what the cost of 1… sorry no TWO “game changing” wingers would cost?

say goodbye to your blueline lol. Myers - outstanding

Zadorov - outstanding

Soucy - solid

Hronek - better than people are giving him credit for. 6 low danger goals against.
Cole - pretty damn reliable outside of a few bad bounces and a couple bad shifts. 9 low danger goals against and only 2 high danger goals against. By the way thats just in the edmonton series.

FYI Pettersson is a C/RW and was utilized 60/40 as a C/RW this season and post season. So no Pettersson isnt just a C, his production was best as a winger this season in less time as a winger on a line with Miller and Boeser he nearly matched his production as a C with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.

You cry for 2 more wingers yet a game changing C/RW was held to 1 primary point all post season. The other missing person in game 7 was Boeser. Those are your two missing “wingers” or should I say top 6 players. Does that make you feel better? The rest of it was roster utilization/deployment. Pettersson doesnt make his own lines, thats Tocchet, he chose to dilute talent and scoring and spread it out up and  down the lineup. We have the scoring to win and contend for a cup. The scoring was 1) misused and 2) massively underperforming. 
Vancouver was not a top heavy team, we were a balanced team with a major focus on the Dzone first. We were built and deployed as a 200ft team. If you think we needed to add two top 6 “game changing” wingers, you’d only be building a top heavy team like Toronto and Edmonton and our blueline would get walked all over by McDavid and Draisaitl. We would stand no chance against Dallas, Colorado, Nashville etc.

Pettersson performing poorly has everything to do with why lost. Not your blindness to cap casualties in exchange for more top 6 wingers.

2/21 on the PP where Pettersson is one of the most important players on that PP that looked absolutely fuckin below beer league average. Not only that but 1 fuckin goal that came on the PP in 7 games. Had he produced at HALF of what he is capable of, this series would have been wrapped up in 6 games if not 5.

The other huge piece we were missing was Demko, sure Silovs played great…. For a 3rd string, but ultimately he was the 2nd worst goalie in the 2nd round, next to Skinner. Silovs had a below .900sv% 5v5 and allowed 11 low danger goals against and had a -2.17GSAA. At all strengths he had the 4th worst sv% (Skinner 2nd worst)  -.302GSAA (Skinner the worst -5.70)

Edited by AnthonyG

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Was that first quote not your “original” statement? Was that not the “premise” of your post? 

I am allowed to disagree with your statement. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Care to tell me what the cost of 1… sorry no TWO “game changing” wingers would cost?

say goodbye to your blueline lol. Myers - outstanding

Zadorov - outstanding

Soucy - solid

Hronek - better than people are giving him credit for. 6 low danger goals against.
Cole - pretty damn reliable outside of a few bad bounces and a couple bad shifts. 9 low danger goals against and only 2 high danger goals against. By the way thats just in the edmonton series.

FYI Pettersson is a C/RW and was utilized 60/40 as a C/RW this season and post season. So no Pettersson isnt just a C, his production was best as a winger this season in less time as a winger on a line with Miller and Boeser he nearly matched his production as a C with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.

You cry for 2 more wingers yet a game changing C/RW was held to 1 primary point all post season. The other missing person in game 7 was Boeser. Those are your two missing “wingers” or should I say top 6 players. Does that make you feel better? The rest of it was roster utilization/deployment. Pettersson doesnt make his own lines, thats Tocchet, he chose to dilute talent and scoring and spread it out up and  down the lineup. We have the scoring to win and contend for a cup. The scoring was 1) misused and 2) massively underperforming. 
Vancouver was not a top heavy team, we were a balanced team with a major focus on the Dzone first. We were built and deployed as a 200ft team. If you think we needed to add two top 6 “game changing” wingers, you’d only be building a top heavy team like Toronto and Edmonton and our blueline would get walked all over by McDavid and Draisaitl. We would stand no chance against Dallas, Colorado. 

Pettersson performing poorly has everything to do with why lost. Not your blindness to cap casualties in exchange for more top 6 wingers.

2/21 on the PP where Pettersson is one of the most important players on that PP that looked absolutely fuckin below beer league average. Not only that but 1 fuckin goal that came on the PP in 7 games. Had he produced at HALF of what he is capable of, this series would have been wrapped up in 6 games if not 5.

The other huge piece we were missing was Demko, sure Silovs played great…. For a 3rd string, but ultimately he was the 2nd worst goalie in the 2nd round, next to Skinner. Silovs had a below .900sv% 5v5 and allowed 11 low danger goals against and had a -2.17GSAA. At all strengths he had the 4th worst sv% (Skinner 2nd worst)  -.302GSAA (Skinner the worst -5.70)

It's impressive how much you write even when you're already told the person your writing to isn't gonna read any of it.

Honestly will be interesting to see what the Canucks do this summer. Lots to key UFA’s to sign, Hronek decision to be made, do they keep Petey or trade him? Why did they choose no trade clauses in the 1st year but not the rest of the contract? Could something be up with him? You would think you get a good haul if it came down to it. 

But the obvious problem is not Petey it was his line mates disappearing too. Milheyev is where plays go to die. Hog lander was snake bitten. His style of play should have flourished in the playoffs but his production was worse. I would try to get a winger or two this summer if possible and give Petey the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Stop bitching about what could have been. 

Get ready for what could be. 

Enough sulking. 

Remember that old western song. My late Grandma use to listen to; "Another day older and a deeper in debt"  A year is a long time!

Pettersson's play since about the allstar break perplexed me.  I was convinced that he had some sort of injury that put him off his game.  Towards the end of the season, I heard that there was no injury.  So what was it?  It occurred to me that it might be mental.  Was he depressed?  I don't know the answer to this question.

If we look at the way that the Canucks played throughout the season, maybe we find an answer.  In the beginning, we saw the Canucks defeat the Oilers 8-1 on Oct 11 (3rd game of the season).  Nov 2, Canucks 10, Sharks 1.  As the season went on, and in the playoffs they became a defense first team.  Is this what happened to Petey?  He was busy playing defense?

I still think they're lacking 1 or 2 top 6 wingers.  A team can get away with 4 top 6 forwards and a couple of middle 6 wingers to round them out but not less than 4 and the 2 centres should be top 6.  More than that and I think you're running into cap trouble.  And/or you would find your team lacking D or goaltending.  I think that they won't be able to afford Lindholm and that leaves only 3 bona fide top 6 forwards imo.

I think that when they have exit interviews we may find out something about who really was injured etc and what some of the issues were.  

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is there a human force on earth that could make Mikheyev better?  Or do we need to search for one in other planets?

Seemed fine in Toronto. What happened? And it’s not about making Mikheyev better. It’s about earning your keep when it matters most.