[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think why this hurts is that we are a better team than we showed against Edmonton. We are better than those guys. 

We were down to our 3rd string goalie. Petey playing not up to potential. Soucy suspension and Boeser injury. 

Edmonton is a team of pretenders. 

Hurts losing to those guys. 

Yeah it was a strange post season for the Canucks. Many games they played scared and went into a shell, which made no sense given their great regular season. A lot of their 'staples" like tough forechecking and getting opponents to cough up pucks, and holding onto leads went away in the playoffs.

What killed us the most though was our PP. How many games did we lose momentum or play badly after getting PPs. We were 1-18. They had by far the worst PP of all teams left in the playoffs. Had they scored on some of their PPs most of the games would have had different outcomes. 4 minute PP in the first period of game 7 and they did nothing. That set the tone for the rest of the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

22 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ugh... cmon Z gotta move there

Honestly can't really blame zads for that, when he shot it was between the oilers feet and couldn't see, also slow mo, dunno what was drawn on the board, I figured he'd be tryna screen the goalie in my head.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, NoHeart said:

it’s either that or BumHands. 

Mikheyevhands?, I like him as a player but that contract, that stings in hindsight, not making excuses injurys really didn't help his cause.

22 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Rather sign zads n Joshua, if we can just don't see where we got money, also the hronek situation, gunna be a interesting off season

• Like 1

Just wish the boys played as hard in the 3rd all game, where was that intensity and motivation, petey in the bubble was an animal. Just hasn't looked the same after the all star break, should do what McKinnon did. He'll bounce back.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Pettersson's play since about the allstar break perplexed me.  I was convinced that he had some sort of injury that put him off his game.  Towards the end of the season, I heard that there was no injury.  So what was it?  It occurred to me that it might be mental.  Was he depressed?  I don't know the answer to this question.

If we look at the way that the Canucks played throughout the season, maybe we find an answer.  In the beginning, we saw the Canucks defeat the Oilers 8-1 on Oct 11 (3rd game of the season).  Nov 2, Canucks 10, Sharks 1.  As the season went on, and in the playoffs they became a defense first team.  Is this what happened to Petey?  He was busy playing defense?

I still think they're lacking 1 or 2 top 6 wingers.  A team can get away with 4 top 6 forwards and a couple of middle 6 wingers to round them out but not less than 4 and the 2 centres should be top 6.  More than that and I think you're running into cap trouble.  And/or you would find your team lacking D or goaltending.  I think that they won't be able to afford Lindholm and that leaves only 3 bona fide top 6 forwards imo.

I think that when they have exit interviews we may find out something about who really was injured etc and what some of the issues were.  

Petey's way better with a couple better wingers who either finish off one of his setups or helps Petey score. His results would look way better on a line with a goal or two more per game, of course. Also I agree on Petey playing defensively. As the team went on winning and they were successful despite the lack of personal points it's hard to change what's been coached into you. But like it's honestly crazy that we had to ice such bad linemates with our most expensive player. How or what we can afford remains to be seen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Drance is being realistic. Just like he's always been and why he takes a ton of heat. It's true, we need at least 1 more game changing winger to do damage in the playoffs. Realistically we should have another 2. 

We needed at least one top six winger going into the playoffs, ideally two

Suter and Mikheyev ain't top six, Hoglander is a work in progress despite his successful season

It'll be interesting to see how management addresses our forward group 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

***Looks at your username***....

Another "Rocket" beats up Sean Avery (don't say that Avery can't poke fun at himself by taking this movie role):

IMG_9980.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

That's BS....blood thinners don't breakdown clots.  They prevent further growth of clots.  Your body naturally breaks down clots and he'll have to wait for that to happen.  There's a drug that can breakdown clots, but it's not a standard of practice for DVTs.....possible, but not standard treatment.

Lots of bs reported in the media for sure…

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Crappy part is listening to 650 sportscasters talking about us losing Joshua and Zadorov and others because they played themselves out of Vancouver's budget.

Just when we have something to build on, we're already talking about breaking it apart. If we lose Joshua, then the dynamic duo of Garland and Joshua is lost in the mix as well. That line with Blueger saved us a bunch of games. To be honest, I'm not sure why we ever took Blueger off that line.

They also say that we shouldn't be worried about Pettersson and that he's an elite player, but frankly I just don't see him being a playoff player. I think he's not big or strong enough for the amount of hitting and rougher play. He was good for half of this year and then went on a steady decline until he basically flatlined in the most important games of the year. Imagine that Jake Guentzel is making about HALF of what Pettersson is going to make next year. Give me two Guentzels every day!

Upcoming expiring contracts

In 2024: Myers (33), Joshua (27), Lindholm (29), Zadorov (28), Hronek (26), Cole (34), DeSmith (32), Lafferty (28), Blueger (29), Friedman (28).

In 2025: Boeser (26), Suter (27), PDGuiseppe (30), Juulsen (26)

In 2026: Demko (28), Garland (27), Mikheyev (29), Soucy (29)

In 2027: Hughes (24)

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/overview/_/year/2023/sort/contract_free_agent_year/dir/asc

It's unfortunate, but some of the players are on the edge of aging out. Myers (33) and Cole (34)

Joshua and Zadorov will be the most valuable - but other teams will be upping their price. Lindholm had 10pts in 13 games, while Mikheyev had ZERO. 

DeSmith, Friedman, Lafferty, Blueger, and Cole will likely not be given contracts. Mikheyev needs to be traded. Blueger was good with Joshua and Garland, but they didn't keep him on that line at the end of the season or the playoffs ( I think that was a mistake )  Hronek is debatable as he had a poor showing in the playoffs ( may have been injured ).

Hahaha I'd take 2 Guentzal's for Petie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Yeah it was a strange post season for the Canucks. Many games they played scared and went into a shell, which made no sense given their great regular season. A lot of their 'staples" like tough forechecking and getting opponents to cough up pucks, and holding onto leads went away in the playoffs.

What killed us the most though was our PP. How many games did we lose momentum or play badly after getting PPs. We were 1-18. They had by far the worst PP of all teams left in the playoffs. Had they scored on some of their PPs most of the games would have had different outcomes. 4 minute PP in the first period of game 7 and they did nothing. That set the tone for the rest of the game.

Yeah mentally they just weren’t there… their offence dried up post all-star  game - they seem to be a mentally fragile team for some reason…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We needed at least one top six winger going into the playoffs, ideally two

Suter and Mikheyev ain't top six, Hoglander is a work in progress despite his successful season

It'll be interesting to see how management addresses our forward group 

Mikheyev Lafferty and Petey must go… Suter is expendable as well… 

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Doesn't Petey have a NTC kick in for the full duration of his contract?

No, Not the first year.....he can be dumped at any time in the first year because he's only in his 6th year in the NHL and can't get a NTC until the 7th year in the NHL.    Read on......   https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-why-elias-petterssons-contract-is-missing-a-no-move-clause-in-its-first-year

So if the severe downturn in his performance continues and he turns out to be just another swedish "bust" like the very many we've been stuck with over the last 54 years, then they can dispose of him at any time until 2025-26.  The only obstacle might be PA's unwillingness to let go of one of his "homeboys" and/or admit the contract paying the same as McDavid/Mackinnon is a disaster.    But time will tell if EP can turn things around and save his career and reputation and possibly PA's if the contract goes "south".

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

No, Not the first year.....he can be dumped at any time in the first year because he's only in his 6th year in the NHL and can't get a NTC until the 7th year in the NHL.    Read on......   https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-why-elias-petterssons-contract-is-missing-a-no-move-clause-in-its-first-year

So if the severe downturn in his performance continues and he turns out to be just another swedish "bust" like the very many we've been stuck with over the last 54 years, then they can dispose of him at any time until 2025-26.  The only obstacle might be PA's unwillingness to let go of one of his "homeboys" and/or admit the contract paying the same as McDavid/Mackinnon is a disaster.    But time will tell if EP can turn things around and save his career and reputation and possibly PA's if the contract goes "south".

Clearly EP has been playing with an injury that limits his skating. Just accept that fact. Should the Coilers move on from McWhiner because he struggled against Hughes? 
Go sniff:

image.jpeg.6b9a3b7edaf5654a18ba08eeb98d0cef.jpeg

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

No matter what happens next, this season should be looked back with fondness.    Allvin (correctly IMO, doubt we win a cup without Demko and Brocks services),  was very active at the TDL but rightly so, decided the cost was too high and from a strategic standpoint, this wasn't the year to go "all-in".    We've positioned ourselves though, to consider that over the next 3 years ... next year possibly the best given OELs anchor comes into play. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

No matter what happens next, this season should be looked back with fondness.    Allvin (correctly IMO, doubt we win a cup without Demko and Brocks services),  was very active at the TDL but rightly so, decided the cost was too high and from a strategic standpoint, this wasn't the year to go "all-in".    We've positioned ourselves though, to consider that over the next 3 years ... next year possibly the best given OELs anchor comes into play. 

Benning, the moran, did his best to hamstring our club. JR/PA did the needed surgery to correct it. They will play a D man in our bottom pairing, who is better than OELevator, that costs a million per: Willander. 
The greatness of our management is much like when we had Gillis the Great.

It took a few years for Mario and Yzerman to get going in the playoffs, anyone else remember that?? They hadn't seen this kind of intensity before, Petey said it was not the same as playoffs in the bubble, I'm assuming same for QH.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He hasn’t been the same since he blew out his knee. Unfortunately we have not seen a fully healthy Mikheyev in Vancouver. 

I thought Petey was one of the best players on the ice in game 5. In game 7 he was better than Miller. Even more physical. He was even better than McDavid last night.

Of course he didn’t have a great playoffs. But he definitely wasn’t our worst performer either. Like many people have said, Petey needs a true top 6 forward to play with. Just like Miller has Boeser. And McDavid has Hyman. And MacKinnon has Rantanen. And so on. 

Most importantly, EP was getting into the level of compete the team needs from him to win a cup.    He drew a four minute minor ... for sure gave us a chance to play Dallas in those games. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2