[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

9 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Hope not…

dude is a pencil among Oaks…

Zero compete…

we need someone with fire… and a never say die mentality…

I find it interesting that some walrus on a fan forum and former All-star and professional hockey analysts P.K. Subban have completely different takes on Peteys compete level. I just don't know who to take more seriously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/s/9tfiqxjzz9

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, CurtFraser24 said:

Trade the Vezinz finalist??????????     Keep the rookie with the save % of .891 (regular season) and .898 (playoffs)??????????

it would be a ballsy move that would yield the most value and the rookie proved himself big time the only bad goals were from the point where he was being screened 

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

it would be a ballsy move that would yield the most value and the rookie proved himself big time the only bad goals were from the point where he was being screened 

Silovs was fine but we are getting ready for Dallas if Demko is nets vs the Coilers. We need three players to be healthy to win the Cup: Demko, Petey, Hughes. The rest can play their best (which we just saw them do) but they aren’t the key. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's impressive how much you write even when you're already told the person your writing to isn't gonna read any of it.

Its impressive you watch the Canucks and dont even know Petey plays wing 40% of the time. Head on back to Toronto bud.

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

No, Not the first year.....he can be dumped at any time in the first year because he's only in his 6th year in the NHL and can't get a NTC until the 7th year in the NHL.    Read on......   https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-why-elias-petterssons-contract-is-missing-a-no-move-clause-in-its-first-year

So if the severe downturn in his performance continues and he turns out to be just another swedish "bust" like the very many we've been stuck with over the last 54 years, then they can dispose of him at any time until 2025-26.  The only obstacle might be PA's unwillingness to let go of one of his "homeboys" and/or admit the contract paying the same as McDavid/Mackinnon is a disaster.    But time will tell if EP can turn things around and save his career and reputation and possibly PA's if the contract goes "south".

Thanks for the clarification.

I really hope PA doesn't sit and wait to see how Petey rebounds before deciding to move him. 

I'm thinking he needs to go. This wasn't just a rough playoffs for Petey, he has been bad since January. And in reality he has been really streaky his whole career.

Couple that with the fact him and Miller don't get along, as stated by Miller, and it just doesn't make sense to rely on him as a core piece for 8 years.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm sure Petey is an awesome guy who is putting in his best at every aspect of life, it's just unlikely we succeed with him as our highest paid player for the foreseeable future.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I really hope PA doesn't sit and wait to see how Petey rebounds before deciding to move him. 

I'm thinking he needs to go. This wasn't just a rough playoffs for Petey, he has been bad since January. And in reality he has been really streaky his whole career.

Couple that with the fact him and Miller don't get along, as stated by Miller, and it just doesn't make sense to rely on him as a core piece for 8 years.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm sure Petey is an awesome guy who is putting in his best at every aspect of life, it's just unlikely we succeed with him as our highest paid player for the foreseeable future.

You need to eat cake for breakfast image.jpeg.c9a91b56be727ae819c178d0ffe941ad.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

All these talks about trading EP40 are very similar to all those talks about trading BB6.

All these talks about trading EP40 are very similar to all those talks about trading the Sedins….

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not only that, he had only scored 2 goals (count 'em......2) Since March 25th last winter and disappeared once his BIG $ contract was in the bag.   Totally unacceptable and I can 100% guarantee you if that continues into next season that pressure will be on PA to get rid of him - despite him being one of his "homeboys".  This contract is shaping up to be the next L.E., O.E.L., Sundin swedish prima donna contract fiasco's (amongst the many others Canucks fans have had to endure over the past 50 years) if things continue.

Sundin's contract would've been worse than EP's upcoming deal had he exercised that option year (fortunately he wasn't that greedy).  That 10 million cap hit would've been devastating.  HOWEVER, he didn't so you can only judge it by the one year he was with us (the cap hit was irrelevant since we had a ton of cap space that one season so nobody was needed to be moved to make space for him).  Sundin was a disgrace during the regular season (sucking up all the oxygen on the planet between shifts to the point he might be the reason for the climate change issues today 🥸).  HOWEVER, he actually was one of our better forwards in that post-season (unlike "Have you seen me" Petey on a milk container post-season).

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Flipper said:

All these talks about trading EP40 are very similar to all those talks about trading the Sedins….

Trading the Sedins, and quite a few other players from the 2011 team, should have happened after the 2013 playoff loss to the Sharks. Not just the Sedins, but the majority of the team. Would have been better in the long run, as there was a decade of complete mediocrity that followed. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 2

All these talks about trading EP40 are very similar to all those talks about trading BB6.

Petey's next contract is more than double the duration of Boeser's last signed deal (at close to 5 million more per season).  

• Like 2

After a few days to reflect, I think this can be spun into a net positive. We were taught the valuable lesson on what it takes to eliminate a good team and how important it is to take the opportunities that were granted to us in game 6 and 7. No periods off. Furthermore, we looked tired and injured. Miller, Petey and Hughes in particular. I'm not sure how well they would have held up in another heavy heavy series against Dallas and how much would that have affected their off-season training. Obviously Boeser and Demko were missed but now get a chance to fully recover without the pressures of returning to help the team.

All in all I don't think anyone predicted us making it to the final game of rd 2, so the year was a success. Now PA and JR have to work hard to retain as much talent as possible.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading the Sedins, and quite a few other players from the 2011 team, should have happened after the 2013playoff loss to the Sharks. Not just the Sedins, but the majority of the team. Would have been better in the long run, as there was a decade of complete mediocrity that followed. 

To be fair, they had one last gasp in 2014 where they BOTH ended up in the top 20 in points that season.  Played a large role in that 100 point season.  Probably bought Benning some time as a result (though I suppose you can blame the Sedins for Benning not being fired earlier 🥸).

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

After a few days to reflect, I think this can be spun into a net positive. We were taught the valuable lesson on what it takes to eliminate a good team and how important it is to take the opportunities that were granted to us in game 6 and 7. No periods off. Furthermore, we looked tired and injured. Miller, Petey and Hughes in particular. I'm not sure how well they would have held up in another heavy heavy series against Dallas and how much would that have affected their off-season training. Obviously Boeser and Demko were missed but now get a chance to fully recover without the pressures of returning to help the team.

All in all I don't think anyone predicted us making it to the final game of rd 2, so the year was a success. Now PA and JR have to work hard to retain as much talent as possible.

Petey was totally invisible for the most part.  You can't say that about Miller or Hughes.  Imho not even close in comparison.  Those latter two also have to deal with the media, etc., (outside distractions - that comes with territory being Captain & the leadership role Miller has).

edit:  I should add, it all depends if Petey was playing with a real injury this post-season.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading the Sedins, and quite a few other players from the 2011 team, should have happened after the 2013playoff loss to the Sharks. Not just the Sedins, but the majority of the team. Would have been better in the long run, as there was a decade of complete mediocrity that followed. 

I'm glad we didn't ... they deserved to retire here and that last game was epic (I was there with my son).

They performed well right up until (and including) their final games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm glad we didn't ... they deserved to retire here and that last game was epic (I was there with my son).

They performed well right up until (and including) their final games.

I'm indifferent. Bieksa deserved to retire here just as much as they did. Same for Burrows. Yet neither did. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Who the fuck is EL 40? Spector must be huffing glue. 

Eats it too.

He's trying to be pc now that he's been an ass throughout. Get lost...just another Ron McLean type.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm indifferent. Bieksa deserved to retire here just as much as they did. Same for Burrows. Yet neither did. 

Good point, yes. Can't disagree with that.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Seemed fine in Toronto. What happened? And it’s not about making Mikheyev better. It’s about earning your keep when it matters most. 

Jannik Hansen 1.5 lol

No hands and not a great shot, all speed.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Mauler said:

Unfortunately he needs to work on long shots. He’s let in a lot vs Edmonton from the point even without screens. I think that is his weakness that needs to work on. We can’t throw him in as starter yet or we’ll ruin his development and our chance to be competitive for next few years. Miller is already 32 this year and won’t get younger.

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We won the Presidents trophy again in 2012. The Twins are players a club never trades. What should have happened is our owner kept Gillis to rebuild around the Twins and not hired the moran. 

• Haha 1

Add Garland, JT to the list.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.  

Patience and good judgement is important. 

• Cheers 1