[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

28 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I question what seravalli really knows... So much can change in aav numbers with things like bonus money and extra years, and of course where you want your family to live.

Lafferty, Cole, desmith - these guys will get squeezed out. 

If Hronek really won't move off 8 then we have room to sign Lindy, Bluegar, Myers (in the 2s), maybe big Z. 

Time to bring up some of the kids for full time roles, like Podz, Ratu, Karlsson.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We won the Presidents trophy again in 2012.

And? What did that amount to? Nothing. 

The Twins are players a club never trades.

Why? 

What should have happened is our owner kept Gillis to rebuild around the Twins and not hired the moran. 

The 2011 team was built around them, and they fell short. They tried again in 2012 and lost to LA in five. That was a sign that things were on the decline. Then they were swept in 2013 to the Sharks. It was clear at that time, that the players from that core were done, including the Sedins. In 2013, they were 30 years old. Why would you choose to build a team around two 30 years olds?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why? 

The 2011 team was built around them, and they fell short. They tried again in 2012 and lost to LA in five. That was a sign that things were on the decline. Then they were swept in 2013 to the Sharks. It was clear at that time, that the players from that core were done, including the Sedins. In 2013, they were 30 years old. Why would you choose to build a team around two 30 years olds?

And they're still here! Just a joke. What they do here now, is great; Those final contracts were not. You don't gift new contracts because of past years..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

And they're still here! Just a joke. What they do here now, is great; Those final contracts were not. You don't gift new contracts because of past years..

Exactly. The Sedins had a great legacy here, but so did Bieksa. Likewise, for Luongo and Burrows. This idea that the organization owed them the right to retire here was something that always seemed ridiculous to me. No other player from that core was afforded that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why? 

Yup. Gillis went to the owner with a rebuilding plan and got fired for suggesting that direction. The owner hired the moran to sqeeeze one last drop out of the old, stale core: 101 points. The owner should have listened to Gillis. There would have been no Virtanen and Juiolevi mistakes. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm glad we didn't ... they deserved to retire here and that last game was epic (I was there with my son).

They performed well right up until (and including) their final games.

Meh. Most of the greatest players in history were traded. Gretzky, Orr, Roy, Jagr. Very few retire with their original team. And most are Stanley Cup champions. Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic. 

The Sedins did alot of great things for Vancouver. But so did Linden, Bure and Luongo. At the end of the day, re-signing the Sedins when they were past their prime years pushed our rebuild back several years. 

I would have had no problem hanging on to the Sedins if they had won us a cup. But they didn’t. And neither did anyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why? 

Actually, they were 33 years old when they were re-signed to that last contract. Who gives two 33 year old players new 4 year deals at $7 million each when the team is trying to rebuild? 

Edit: It was 2014. So they were 34 years old. Even worse. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually, they were 33 years old when they were re-signed to that last contract. Who gives two 33 year old players new 4 year deals at $7 mullion

each when the team is trying to rebuild? 

Great point. Thank you for the correction. Those deals were ridiculous, and the beginning of the decade of mediocrity. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Zadorov is the guy to sign, try to get it to start with a 5, then Joshua at 3 and Myers at 2, why not. If Hronek's stuck on 8 then trade, the tough one would be Lindholm.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great point. Thank you for the correction. Those deals were ridiculous, and the beginning of the decade of mediocrity. 

They were actually re-signed in 2014 at 34 years old. So it is even worse. We had just drafted Virtanen 6th overall. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wow; Lindholm - 8x8 (turned down) I can understand if that was for 2 or three years but who does he is. JT Miller?

I don't buy that for a second. I doubt the Canucks offered full term, and $8M. I'd offer $8 million and 4-5 years to Stamkos.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trading the Sedins, and quite a few other players from the 2011 team, should have happened after the 2013 playoff loss to the Sharks. Not just the Sedins, but the majority of the team. Would have been better in the long run, as there was a decade of complete mediocrity that followed. 

I was more referencing that people wanted to dump them after their first few years in the league kind of like people want to trade Petey now. It took the Sedins a while to develop into the players they were and I think people need to give Petey that time to develop as well. 

Our core is still young and growing so as disappointing as this years exit was, I’m looking forward to the next few years as they mature. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Flipper said:

I was more referencing that people wanted to dump them after their first few years in the league kind of like people want to trade Petey now. It took the Sedins a while to develop into the players they were and I think people need to give Petey that time to develop as well.

I think the scrutiny around him is warranted. Players need to show up in the post season. However, the idea of trading him now is not a smart one. It would look very badly on management, like real bad. 

1 minute ago, Flipper said:

Our core is still young and growing so as disappointing as this years exit was, I’m looking forward to the next few years as they mature. 

The window is very much open. The experience the team will gain from this two series run will prove to be very important. 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wow; Lindholm - 8x8 (turned down) I can understand if that was for 2 or three years but who does he is. JT Miller?

The report is, that's what Calgary offered closer to the start of the year to retain him. Likely wad a misstep of Lindholms part of it was about money since it's unlikely he could get that aav now. But it's also very possible he just wanted out of Calgary.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The report is, that's what Calgary offered closer to the start of the year to retain him. Likely wad a misstep of Lindholms part of it was about money since it's unlikely he could get that aav now.

maybe, but sometimes the number to stay somewhere has to be high, other places you like better can be a bit less.

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

But it's also very possible he just wanted out of Calgary.

Pointing Up Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't buy that for a second. I doubt the Canucks offered full term, and $8M. I'd offer $8 million and 4-5 years to Stamkos.

The Lindholm offer ($8M x 8yr) was supposedly from Calgary.

Edited by BPA

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The report is, that's what Calgary offered closer to the start of the year to retain him. Likely wad a misstep of Lindholms part of it was about money since it's unlikely he could get that aav now. But it's also very possible he just wanted out of Calgary.

I thought the signing of Lindholm was 2 fold, One to put pressure on EP that we had a 2nd line centre if you don't sign, and two to reward the team for their strong start, They will try to to retain him, and with tough decisions will decide  will identify which players they can keep while also moving on from players they still would have liked to retain (the past cap, and trading assets or having them them walk without assets in return is still affecting us today) I trust with them all having hard discussions that the best possible choices will be made (and will rely on the players retained to live up to expectations)

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd be really happy with 7.5 aav x 8 for Lindy, 60 mil total. If its bonus heavy, I don't see why he'd turn that down. Everyone keeps saying Boston, but that may not be a place he wants to raise a family. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would! 😋

46 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Lindholm will be 30yrs in Dec, so I can't see the Canucks offering him an 8yr term.  He has

a lot of value for our team, so if he will do 8x4 they will sign him.  He gets more $ for

the low term.

We have to stop comparing players that get contracts in Miller's range.  JT is way underpaid for

how he's performing right now, but that will likely change in the later part of his contract.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Lindholm will be 30yrs in Dec, so I can't see the Canucks offering him an 8yr term.  He has

a lot of value for our team, so if he will do 8x4 they will sign him.  He gets more $ for

the low term.

We have to stop comparing players that get contracts in Miller's range.  JT is way underpaid for

how he's performing right now, but that will likely change in the later part of his contract.

Miller is one of the best contracts in the league. He’s an 12 mil cap allocation level player. Lincoln will go to the highest bidder. So will Zadorov. So will Joshua.