[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is one of the best contracts in the league. He’s an 12 mil cap allocation level player.

its true. Its one of the reasons we love him. 

Lincoln will go to the highest bidder.

dunno, I really think we have a shot at landing him here for something close to reasonable. 

So will Zadorov.

Same here, he seems really comfortable here, and that agent owes us some money back on Kuzy banana. 

So will Joshua. 

I'm going against the grain, but I'm fine with this. 

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Its impressive you watch the Canucks and dont even know Petey plays wing 40% of the time. Head on back to Toronto bud.

At least you avoided your usual 'serial killer manifesto' this time. But best make sure you get your information right if you want to end on an insult.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?select=F&forward=VAN%3A4901%3AELIAS%3APETTERSSON&games=2023-2024%3AR%3A99&period=ALL&situation=EV

Unless you can provide information that states otherwise, looks like you almost doubled your estimation and he's actually spent closer to 25% of his ice time as a winger, not 40%.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

No matter what happens next, this season should be looked back with fondness.    Allvin (correctly IMO, doubt we win a cup without Demko and Brocks services),  was very active at the TDL but rightly so, decided the cost was too high and from a strategic standpoint, this wasn't the year to go "all-in".    We've positioned ourselves though, to consider that over the next 3 years ... next year possibly the best given OELs anchor comes into play. 

Touching on our posts yesterday it's kind of odd that next year is the best to go all in. JR and PA never even figured we would be this good this year. I always thought they were planning for 2-3 years out myself ... even though that's right where the OEL hit is the worst. I still feel like that is kind of the smart way to go.

I would almost be looking to try to acquire a major piece at a time. Like this year maybe a cheap, young top 4 RD defender (we'd pay ... oh we'd pay)  that can actually add quality to the top 4, while providing very good contract value to alleviate cap problems. If we signed Hronek at a reasonable 7ish, or replace that would set our defence up for years and years and we would no longer have to worry about it every year. Keep in mind we should cover the OEL hit with increased cap limits. Of course this doesn't account for inflation across the league but we do have power over who we sign in that period.

18 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

At least you avoided your usual 'serial killer manifesto' this time. But best make sure you get your information right if you want to end on an insult.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?select=F&forward=VAN%3A4901%3AELIAS%3APETTERSSON&games=2023-2024%3AR%3A99&period=ALL&situation=EV

Unless you can provide information that states otherwise, looks like you almost doubled your estimation and he's actually spent closer to 25% of his ice time as a winger, not 40%.

IMG_4895.thumb.jpeg.fe2ed0daa67728d302bc78db2e3f4744.jpegIMG_4896.thumb.jpeg.0a98960af1102f46360b1184d508bd96.jpeg

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2024 at 8:50 PM, Breadnbutta said:

Why couldn't they play like that all game???

As hard as it is to do, I think you have to give the Oilers some credit for that....for the first two periods, they were getting in the way of everything and everyone. The Canucks had very little room to maneuver...

Whether the Canucks stepped it up in the 3rd, or the Oilers lost a step, (I personally think it was a combination of the two) the Canucks finally broke through with some pressure. It was just a bit too little, too late.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Clearly EP has been playing with an injury that limits his skating. Just accept that fact. Should the Coilers move on from McWhiner because he struggled against Hughes? 
Go sniff:

image.jpeg.6b9a3b7edaf5654a18ba08eeb98d0cef.jpeg

Oh course not, and we are all hoping that we'll hear there was some serious injury affecting his play that would explain why he could only score 2 goals since the end of Winter on Mar 25th because otherwise 'Houston, we've got a problem"!

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Silovs was okay for what he is. Garland will get traded for cap space over the summer. 

If they need to find a trade partner, the interest in Garland will never have been bigger...

12 months ago we would have to add sweeteners to get rid of him... Not any more...

So yes, you could very well be right...

• ThereItIs 1

SInce the majority of players are FA's - they are entitled to ask for whatever they deem as fair value - they have earned it for this post season. JR and PA however, will have differing assessments though - they have to fit everything under the cap and having multiple players over 6-7M+  will limit their ability to adding further depth (to offset injuries in playoffs) and also to re-sign BB Demko and others in the near future.  

RT and the group will sit down and discuss what worked (and did not work) - what they need .moving forward.  Handling several long term high AAV contracts is fine - but multiple ones may set the Canucks back to the same situation to when JR first started here - limited cap flexibility - resulting in buyouts etc.  Given all the work they've done to bring it down to a manageable level, they will probably be very careful in their assessments before acting.

I see some players re-signing here but not everyone.  The main core is already signed - maybe add one or two others, promote 3-4 players from ABBY and fill the rest with secondary help  (PDG / Bleuger etc) - their FA / Trade target list should include experienced veterans (on a manageable salary) / buyouts / high picks that did not work out for some reason and PTO's - all players who are hungry to contribute while still fitting in to what RT is trying to accomplish here.

When you look back at what DAL FLA and NYR did with their rosters consisting of youth, core and veterans - its no secret that is probably going to be the recipe for most teams..  The very hard part is finding these players that fit into our culture / system of play - We will leave that part up to the professionals

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Yup.  Remember it quite well.

On Dan Russell's Sports Talk, callers were discussing trading the twins for Vincent Lecavalier. 

Sometimes it takes time to develop.  Not all HOF develop at the same time.  EP is already a better player at the same age the twins were.  The big contract is a bet that he becomes the star player he's projected to be. 

I trust this management's judgement and experience.  All the talk by media and fans are just noise.  Annoying, but they can say whatever they like. 

You don't even need to look that far back. Remember all those that wanted JT traded before his long contract started last yr?

It seems absolutely silly to be wanting to get rid of a budding superstar because he only helped us get to game 7 of the second round after 10 years of straight futility. It's just super uneducated hockey wise. These are rare opportunities few teams get and we want to throw ours away because of a real good season ... doesn't compute.

So we want to trade in Petey for ... for what lol, some draft picks and try to draft a similar player again so he'll hit in 3-5 years?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

After a few days to reflect, I think this can be spun into a net positive. We were taught the valuable lesson on what it takes to eliminate a good team and how important it is to take the opportunities that were granted to us in game 6 and 7. No periods off. Furthermore, we looked tired and injured. Miller, Petey and Hughes in particular. I'm not sure how well they would have held up in another heavy heavy series against Dallas and how much would that have affected their off-season training. Obviously Boeser and Demko were missed but now get a chance to fully recover without the pressures of returning to help the team.

All in all I don't think anyone predicted us making it to the final game of rd 2, so the year was a success. Now PA and JR have to work hard to retain as much talent as possible.

Great points about off season recovery and training.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Crappy part is listening to 650 sportscasters talking about us losing Joshua and Zadorov and others because they played themselves out of Vancouver's budget.

Just when we have something to build on, we're already talking about breaking it apart. If we lose Joshua, then the dynamic duo of Garland and Joshua is lost in the mix as well. That line with Blueger saved us a bunch of games. To be honest, I'm not sure why we ever took Blueger off that line.

They also say that we shouldn't be worried about Pettersson and that he's an elite player, but frankly I just don't see him being a playoff player. I think he's not big or strong enough for the amount of hitting and rougher play. He was good for half of this year and then went on a steady decline until he basically flatlined in the most important games of the year. Imagine that Jake Guentzel is making about HALF of what Pettersson is going to make next year. Give me two Guentzels every day!

Upcoming expiring contracts

In 2024: Myers (33), Joshua (27), Lindholm (29), Zadorov (28), Hronek (26), Cole (34), DeSmith (32), Lafferty (28), Blueger (29), Friedman (28).

In 2025: Boeser (26), Suter (27), PDGuiseppe (30), Juulsen (26)

In 2026: Demko (28), Garland (27), Mikheyev (29), Soucy (29)

In 2027: Hughes (24)

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/overview/_/year/2023/sort/contract_free_agent_year/dir/asc

It's unfortunate, but some of the players are on the edge of aging out. Myers (33) and Cole (34)

Joshua and Zadorov will be the most valuable - but other teams will be upping their price. Lindholm had 10pts in 13 games, while Mikheyev had ZERO. 

DeSmith, Friedman, Lafferty, Blueger, and Cole will likely not be given contracts. Mikheyev needs to be traded. Blueger was good with Joshua and Garland, but they didn't keep him on that line at the end of the season or the playoffs ( I think that was a mistake )  Hronek is debatable as he had a poor showing in the playoffs ( may have been injured ).

Yeah the Garland and Mika contract doesn't expire until a year after the OEL $5M cap penalty starts... so they need to find a way to rid themselves of some contracts...

Expect Myers or Hronek (trade) to go Cole, DeSmith, Lafferty, Friedman, and then the big questions? what does Lindholm, Joshua and Zad want... and what will another RHD cost... If they keep both Myers and Hronek, bye bye to Lindholm and either Zad or Joshua... (because we have to be cap compliant in another year with the big cap penalty). 

Soucy goes in 2 years to be replaced by D-Petey... or another D from 

The year after money needs to be available to extend Boeser (if that is their intentions), so that will have to be included in their plans going forward

2 years from now Garland and Mika (if either is still here) will leave and then money will be available to extend Demko and Hughes... 

and then the Cap penalty goes to $2M , and we are through the hardship...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is an RFA. Those other guys who are UFAs can walk. But Hronek is ours for at least one more season and he will be at a great cap allocation. Cap room is king in today’s nhl. So letting guys walk as UFAs creates cap room to sign other players to do a similar job but for less. 

Hronek could be traded as well... perhaps in a trade to get rid of Mika?

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

A good GM thinks out of the box and can anticipate cap expenditures well in advance.

The Canucks have a great management staff that are very good at manipulating the cap.

1.  The OEL 4.7mx2yr cap hit ends 2026-7 and drops to 2.12 the following year, which is the

first year of Quinn's new contract.

2.  The Cap increases to $95m next season (up 4.3m).

3.  Potential rookies with ECL and lower salaries in the upcoming years.

- Silovs will be first to replace higher paid (Demko -5m)

-In the next 2-4yrs, other rookies will replace higher priced players (Podz, Raty, D-Petey,

Willander, Mynio, Kudryavtsev and more as time goes by.  A couple of rookies each season

along with smart trades/UFA signings, will create a massive savings on the cap.

4.  The Cap will continue to increase as more teams are created and the NHL profits increase.

5.  In another year, EPs 13.2% of the salary cap won't look bad, due to the cap increases,

which will cause all newer contract signings to go up; especially for the star players.

I think the team will manage the Salary Cap better than they ever have, so far.

Absolutely right...

The last 6-8 years, as far as I remember, we have had the discussion of us having problems being cap compliant at the start of the seasons, and despite all the tears, we always ended up being cap compliant.... 

Now if Benning and his circus could manage that, I am sure the biggest front office in the NHL can do so too.... I have zero worries about that. They are always a step ahead of us the ordinary punters...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

IMG_4895.thumb.jpeg.fe2ed0daa67728d302bc78db2e3f4744.jpegIMG_4896.thumb.jpeg.0a98960af1102f46360b1184d508bd96.jpeg

Lol, nice so ignoring literally cold hard facts with numbers and instead rely on a little completely irrelevant little R. Reckon that's there since his last game he moved up to take Boeser spot on the side due to injury. A particularly absurd argument, since the line he spent the majority of his time on wing with, when he was playing wing, was Boeser and Miller, where he was playing L wing. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

abraham lincoln vintage GIF by US National Archives

I think you are correct.   Especially Big "Z" and Lind-🏠.   Joshua might be the easier one to target because he's a 3rd/4th line player and lower $'s compared to the other two so less impact on the wallet.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I do find it really interesting how willing people are to defend Pettersons performance and attack Mik, or Lafferty, or Suter for their lack of production.

Really anyone who has issue with Mik not showing up for playoffs, should be double upset with Pettersson. 

We made it to game 7 in round 2 with only 2 players (Miller & Boes) playing like top 6 wingers. Mik, Suter, Lafferty and Hogz were all asked to play above their skill level, and are being chastised for not rising to the occasion. For me Pettersons complete no show is what killed us. 

A 100pt player who ends his playoff run on a 20pt pace is a major issue. Maybe if he performed better his wingers would have been given more chances, and not the other way around. 

With all of the double-teaming players covering him, as the biggest threat upon his line, until Lindy joined him - Petey’s options were to pass & his set-ups were quite masterful! Mik just couldn’t put any lumber to them effectively & he was given many golden opportunities  that he could not convert. Mik wasn’t setting up Petey as gloriously & neither was Hoglander. They weren’t up to the challenge.

EP misses a Boeser-quality line-mate as his wingman. Miller got that particular gift from RT,  to train-up for the rigors of going up against the top-lines in the league as necessary. At some point, as Petey strengthens, matures,  develops, or re-invents himself with added grit, fire & tenacity…Boeser will reunite with him &  another like Lekkerimaki to perhaps become a legendary-line or force out there…like the legendary West-Coast Express line was in their day! 

I still suspect that Petey has been dealing with a gimpy wrist. He  likely needs additional surgery or will under-go more rehab for additional strength & flexibility there. His one/timer & shoot-first thinking wasn’t present & that may denote a lack of trust in his shot, some hinderance due to a weakness in its’ performance of motion…or pain. 

I’m waiting for some revelations or news on this, but even if EP were to say he’s okay….as a former high-performance athlete - I know one may require rehab for a year (even two), before returning to fit as a fiddle form, ….or before adapting well enough to one’s new normal to make the status-quo work well for you, again. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1