[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Man I hate when the media personalities wade into and speculate on future contract prices. They are always on the high side.  Speculating more on the high end of what a player COULD get.   I think it helps drive up the price.

Case in point, Miller was hyped up in the media that Vancouver could not afford him. That he was asking 9 or 10 million.  Turns out it was more like 8. 

Even Pettersson was touted to be getting 12 or 13.  

And sad to say that Dhali is one of the worst.

Dhali at least knows a lot of player agents and is likely used to purposely leak information. However, this is all speculation because at the beginning of the playoffs, all contract negotiations were paused. So this supposed inflated numbers since the post season are complete speculation. 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

No Canadian team has won the Cup since Bettman took over in 1993, 

I still believe we just ran out of gas after game 5. The team now knows what it's gonna take to get the Cup. 

Remember him and his bodyguard after we lost game 7 vs the the Bruins say :It will be a long, long, time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

still; Can't be the Oilers, please.🤢

26 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Man I hate when the media personalities wade into and speculate on future contract prices. They are always on the high side.  Speculating more on the high end of what a player COULD get.   I think it helps drive up the price.

Case in point, Miller was hyped up in the media that Vancouver could not afford him. That he was asking 9 or 10 million.  Turns out it was more like 8. 

Even Pettersson was touted to be getting 12 or 13.  

And sad to say that Dhali is one of the worst.

Dhali, Seravelli, and Friedman are the worst.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Keslers Ghost said:

Trading Petey now is absurd imho. I’m keeping Myers at 2m and trying to re-sign Zadorov. I’d want to know what the options are for the rest, as much as I’d like some to return.  

Depends on what the return is on Petey. If you're asking me would I rather have had Necas, Kotkeniemi and Pesce plus a 2024 1st round, I'm pretty sure that would have helped us a ton more in the playoffs than Petey did. 

Just saying everything is relative once you remove your personal bias and emotional attachment to a player.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Myers got 5.5 million in the open market.  Never underestimate the ability of GMs tendencies to overpay to keep their jobs in the short term.

yes but.. RHD and Benning. Also the UFA class for D that year was not very good

This years UFA class for D is quite strong

57 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You’re the minority, everyone outside of Vancouver thinks we have the best goal song in the league and I’ll have to agree. 

Absolutely....can't go wrong with a Scottish goal song....

In fact, if a certain bustaroo of a basketball player hadn't fucked it up for the entire Vancouver sporting community, I'd be down with In a Big Country as well....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Zadorov wouldn't easily get that on the open market. If so, his suitors in November would have been larger. He is a very good Dman man that fits our system to a T. Was probably a 4.5m prior to POs...bumped to 5m now with term to nux. On open market, add another 0.5m.

We hear the over value 2nd/3rd pair Dmen every year and it never materializes. True top 4 guys on the otherhand.....$$$$$$.

How much do you think playoff performances really skew the contracts though?

Soucy had a great playoff run with Seatle and he only got 3.25 x 3 on the open market last year... on a weak UFA D market

31 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Myers for under 3 is an absolute no brainer. I'm a massive fan of Zadorov... But giving him the Myers seems to rich for my blood.

The thing is, it isn't really Myers money.....

TM signed that contract 5 years ago. The average contract has gone up since then.....I think Z is worth 6 million and if the Canucks won't give it to him, somebody else will.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well said!   ...............and why they should not get into L.T. contracts with any of those guys at 30 and beyond.    You could allready see JTM running out of steam in the last few games and he's 31. So just imagine when his contract is up at the beginning of the next decade in the early 2030's when he's pushing 40 !   Same for Myers, Cole, Lind🏠, D-Giuseppe, Mik.....   We all know by now what happens when you get into these L.T. deals with the old timers who demand NTC's!     Let's not make that mistake ever again!  That sort of thinking got this team into a mess for over a decade after they handed out 13 NTC's to the 2011 bunch and here we are today 13 years later finally getting back into the playoffs!   

I don’t think it’s fair to say that JT is “running out of steam” because he disappointed you in the final two games. JT had to check McD and he did a great job. Then he lost BB for game seven. JT still has lots of great hockey left in him. 

13 years later and finally getting back into the playoffs? More like 8 years ( not counting the bubble). Are you forgetting Presidents Trophy in 2012? Playoffs in 2013, and 2015?

I think you’re making some good points here but your argument loses steam when you exaggerate certain facts. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

TM signed that contract 5 years ago. The average contract has gone up since then.....I think Z is worth 6 million and if the Canucks won't give it to him, somebody else will.

I hope that Emilie can convince Zads to take a bit of a hometown discount. I agree that he’s worth at least 6m on the open market.

Zads is a force of nature on the ice particularly when paired with Myers. We’ve been begging for this type of player for years. I would hate to lose him now. 

• Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dhali, Seravelli, and Friedman are the worst.

Dhali is a shill for player agents. Frankie isn't a Canucks insider of any merit. EF makes stuff up but he's smart enough to make it sound believable, and has actual inside knowledge just enough to keep it going.

JR/PA have done a great job for the most part, and run a very tight ship. They've surprised us numerous times with no warning at all from the so-called insiders. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We need the growl, he's good in the dressing room and he steps up in the playoffs!!! Pay the man!!! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I hope that Emilie can convince Zads to take a bit of a hometown discount. I agree that he’s worth at least 6m on the open market.

Zads is a force of nature on the ice particularly when paired with Myers. We’ve been begging for this type of player for years. I would hate to lose him now. 

Yep.   Myers alone is good.   Better than no Myers.  Myers with Soucy and Zadarov and you've change the culture.   I'd trade Hronek and sign Zadarov.    No he won't help us as much in the regular season.   Thats the pickle.   Isn't a cup the end goal?   We haven't had a big defense since the 90's.   Jovo was "undersized" when he came on board. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like many people have said, Petey needs a true top 6 forward to play with. Just like Miller has Boeser. And McDavid has Hyman. And MacKinnon has Rantanen. And so on.

This is so true. I'm surprised more people aren't considering this an important factor in the discussions around Petey. 

I feel like every star in the game is playing with genuine top 6 talent. You gave great examples (McDavid even plays a ton with Drai), plus look at guys like Matthews - he had Marner for years and this year it shifted, but Domi and Bertuzzi are still great offensive players.  Or Kucherov playing with Point and/or Stamkos. 

Petey needs talent on his line, the dude makes plays he needs player to be able to keep up and finish off the chances. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Oh course not, and we are all hoping that we'll hear there was some serious injury affecting his play that would explain why he could only score 2 goals since the end of Winter on Mar 25th because otherwise 'Houston, we've got a problem"!

Eat cake. 
image.jpeg.c9a91b56be727ae819c178d0ffe941ad.jpeg

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Whats your deal Alf?

You used to have your own strong opinions and most people let you have them, or debated them with you.

Lately you seem to just go after anyone who posts anything you disagree with, regardless of how thought out the posts are.

Didn't think you would slip so quickly into trollaroo territory. 

Go fish.

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure that number is wrong. Myers can easily get $3.5 or even $4 million on the open market. 

Probably true, But I'm pretty sure he wants to stay a Canuck. And I think he is already pretty rich from the last contract.

• Like 1