[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

19 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Tocchet - do we really need him?

(Congrats RT!)

Probably the most important signing that JR/PA did so far. 

Yes, I'm including Petey (he may have not even re-signed if he had not seen any progression)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Probably the most important signing that JR/PA did so far. 

Yes, I'm including Petey (he may have not even re-signed if he had not seen any progression)

Tocchet is under contract for one more year and that's it.  In today's coaching carousel world he will be highly sought after by other teams as soon as next year is over.

Canucks have entered their cup window and it is important to extend Tocchet before his contract expires. 

Tocchet, Z, Lindy, Hronek are all big re-signing considerations for management.

• Cheers 1

Thinking about the Canuck failures...the energy after the suspension game for Soucy seemed to change dynamics.  Having said that, they were not shooting enough in either series and I still do not comprehend why they backed off especially in game 6. If they runned and gunned and were blown out so be out.  But they went out with a whimper because they played with fear and similar in game 7.  I am hopeful these lessons are part of the curve going forward.  Petersen needs to do serious training this year, we need wingers who can score reasonably and are tougher. Does Mihkayev get a pass for the first part of next year?  I think we try and rehabilitate his value and then get something for him during the first part of the year.  Canucks also need to continue the killer instinct...it was more apparent this year but lacking during the playoffs.  Experience or lack thereof?

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Tocchet is under contract for one more year and that's it.  In today's coaching carousel world he will be highly sought after by other teams as soon as next year is over.

Canucks have entered their cup window and it is important to extend Tocchet before his contract expires. 

Tocchet, Z, Lindy, Hronek are all big re-signing considerations for management.

I don’t think they’ll have to throw too much of a raise at him, or even twist RT’s arm to stay.

He’s going to want to see this whole project through.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Depends on what the return is on Petey. If you're asking me would I rather have had Necas, Kotkeniemi and Pesce plus a 2024 1st round, I'm pretty sure that would have helped us a ton more in the playoffs than Petey did. 

Just saying everything is relative once you remove your personal bias and emotional attachment to a player.

It always depends on the return, I have been suffering through the various iterations of the Canucks long enough to view any transaction objectively. That being said, I'm not sold on trading one of, if not arguably our most skilled forward right after he gets the dose of playoff experience he needed. I'm still betting on him to be a big performer in the future. Development doesn't happen overnight.

Edited by Keslers Ghost

39 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

he might have a point..🤣

If the team doesn't give up on him, then he needs a big off season and get back in form.  Can't trade him for anything good if he sucks still.

Looking back at Milstein catering to Kuzmenko off season workouts in Bali, not sure if that was the right environment.  I was just in Bali a few weeks ago.  Crazy heat and humidity.  The island is like a party town, Cancun like, depending where you go. 

On 5/20/2024 at 9:20 PM, BarneyKook said:

Kuz was able to score with Calgary, im not saying Kuz was the answer but I think Toch coached the offense out of us a little too much sometimes.

I don't really think that Tocchet has coached us out of offense because he was one who encouraged the creativity in the offensive zone.  He was strict about the structure when it's in defensive or neutral zone or when protecting lead.  The issue is that our opponent would collapse to the slot and there are no room.  Also I think that we have had odd man rush the least but scored the most at the percent of chance which is kind of strange to see.   Our biggest issue is the team speed when skating and both of our opponent has more speed skater that really has put us under pressure more than anything.  Maybe next season we would see some tinkering to the structure but more flexible in other aspect of the team game.  I think that other team has figured us out and we will need to be one that make some adjustment and try different systems to have something to work on so that we would have two or three different system come playoff time without any struggle.  We need to counter something.   I am afraid of one-year wonder like NJ experienced so hopefully that we avoid that.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure that number is wrong. Myers can easily get $3.5 or even $4 million on the open market. 

Me too...

i suggested that either Hronek or Myers may be history, if they were going to cone in at the reported $8M and $4M respectively. 

We could end up in a scenario though, where Hronek will be signed to a 1 year qualifying deal as cheap as possible and then let go next off season. 
That would keep the costs down and maybe let us keep both. 

But yes $2M+ is unlikely...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Myers for under 3 is an absolute no brainer. I'm a massive fan of Zadorov... But giving him the Myers seems to rich for my blood.

Yes, I wiuld be apprehensive to give him $6M per year on a long contract, but at the same time I think $4-5M could be in the ball park for a longer deal (5-6 years)... if they could swing a 4 year deal at these numbers, it would be ideal... 

I have a feeling he wants to stay here... Joshua too... the way Garland spoke, suggests the players are starting to become a close nit group, and I remember Burrows, Hansen etc all taking fair deals to stay. Also remember Edler and Bieksa almost getting lynched for wanting fair deals. 

So yes if they really want to stay, they may sign better deals. If not, they will be history... Horvat can confirm this... 

One of the reason why Lindholm may be history, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

If the team doesn't give up on him, then he needs a big off season and get back in form.  Can't trade him for anything good if he sucks still.

Looking back at Milstein catering to Kuzmenko off season workouts in Bali, not sure if that was the right environment.  I was just in Bali a few weeks ago.  Crazy heat and humidity.  The island is like a party town, Cancun like, depending where you go. 

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

I don't really think that Tocchet has coached us out of offense because he was one who encouraged the creativity in the offensive zone.  He was strict about the structure when it's in defensive or neutral zone or when protecting lead.  The issue is that our opponent would collapse to the slot and there are no room.  Also I think that we have had odd man rush the least but scored the most at the percent of chance which is kind of strange to see.   Our biggest issue is the team speed when skating and both of our opponent has more speed skater that really has put us under pressure more than anything.  Maybe next season we would see some tinkering to the structure but more flexible in other aspect of the team game.  I think that other team has figured us out and we will need to be one that make some adjustment and try different systems to have something to work on so that we would have two or three different system come playoff time without any struggle.  We need to counter something.   I am afraid of one-year wonder like NJ experienced so hopefully that we avoid that.

man agree we need some faster skaters. All our skilled guys are slow or play slow

23 hours ago, Jaimito said:

You don't even need to look that far back. Remember all those that wanted JT traded before his long contract started last yr?

It's ridiculous, really.

People are so quick to turn on our own and then end up back pedalling. 

Some here SCREAMED that JT was gone. Not even they wanted him gone...they argued it was a done deal. Their objective analysis and voice of experience.

I'm glad that some here aren't so quick to give up on players who show so much, even if they struggle every once in awhile. It's called being human.

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 2

8 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

man agree we need some faster skaters. All our skilled guys are slow or play slow

I don't think that's the case. I think they wore down and were slower at the end of the series, but I watch other games that seem MUCH slower at times.

I mean, Mikheyev's a fast skater but that doesn't always mean success. It can put things out of synch.

They were tentative more than anything. When they turn it on, they can keep up with other teams just fine.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, JayDangles said:

umm no.

The sedins were well into their second half of their career when trade talks started ramping up. It was also apparent that the Canucks were going to be starting a rebuild and moving star players would have sped up the timeline considerably. For the record I was not in support of moving them.

Comparing that to folks wanting to move Petey is way off.  He hasnt even entered into his big contract, he has been very streaky, was a complete no show for 1/3rd of the season and 2 rounds of the playoffs. So no, not similar at all.

Sorry no but maybe we’re talking two different things. I’m not talking after the successful years they had, I’m talking about the early Sedin years when people called them soft and wanted to dump them. There were lots of doubters saying they would never amount to anything in the NHL. That’s the situation I’m comparing to, with the people currently saying we should dump Petey. Big mistake in my opinion.

Here’s an article that mentions what I’m talking about with the Sedins, I’m sure there’s more. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/brian-burkes-work-to-land-sedins-in-vancouver-appreciated-by-hockey-hall-of-fame-bound-twins

”It’s easy to forget now, too, that the Sedins weren’t always a sure thing, that they needed time to become adjusted to the NHL. The Vancouver media weren’t always warm and fuzzy with the pair, with various suggestions early on that they were third-liners at best.

Henrik had 11 goals and 42 points in 76 regular season games in 2003-04. Daniel was slightly better, with 18 goals and 54 points in 82 games that season.

That was four seasons into their Vancouver careers. The Canucks could have traded one or both of the Sedins at that point and it would have been looked upon as completely logical.”

Edited by Flipper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's ridiculous, really.

Some here SCREAMED that JT was gone. Not even they wanted him gone...they argued it was a done deal. Their objective analysis and voice of experience.

I'm glad that some here aren't so quick to give up on players who show so much, even if they struggle every once in awhile. It's called being human.

Best player the Canucks ever traded for, by a country mile; JT Miller. His contract is genius. I'd bet his thoughts are, along the lines of; We'll win it all next year, boys!

Also; for those that are worried that his contract is too long, don't, because if ever he thinks he can't contribute enough, he'll hang em up with time left.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's ridiculous, really.

Not everyone suggesting to trade Miller were giving up on him. A few years ago I suggested trading him, as often you have to trade someone good/great to get someone good/great in return

I'd much rather see a trade proposal like JT for 2 first rounders and a prospect, than to see a trade proposal like Jett Woo and PDG for Nathan MacKinnon....because that second proposal is ridiculous, really.

Edited by rychicken

17 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that JT is “running out of steam” because he disappointed you in the final two games. JT had to check McD and he did a great job. Then he lost BB for game seven. JT still has lots of great hockey left in him. 

13 years later and finally getting back into the playoffs? More like 8 years ( not counting the bubble). Are you forgetting Presidents Trophy in 2012? Playoffs in 2013, and 2015?

I think you’re making some good points here but your argument loses steam when you exaggerate certain facts. 

"Running out of steam"

Game 7 he played 6-7 minutes more than any Oiler on the ice.

445077276_10160923474005549_369722822319

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Not everyone suggesting to trade Miller were giving up on him. A few years ago I suggested trading him, as often you have to trade someone good/great to get someone good/great in return

I'd much rather see a trade proposal like JT for 2 first rounders and a prospect, than to see a trade proposal like Jett Woo and PDG for Nathan MacKinnon....because that second proposal is ridiculous, really.

I was referring to those who said he was a cancer in the room, would age out poorly/too old, didn't fit with this team, was lazy and moody (and didn't see the other stuff he was), etc.

He may decline some....but what he's giving us now likely helps us not only retain good players, but attract them.

He (and Tocchet) pretty much single handedly have changed the culture and country club atmosphere on the team. Funny that he's become a vocal leader and the team buys in to that....people thought it was harsh but sometimes teams need a good kick in the ass. The drama that surrounded him was ridiculous. Because he showed emotion and wanted to win more than anything. He's channeled that quite nicely and wouldn't you hate it if we HAD traded him for potentials who may have panned out here?

He's been a huge part of our success and this team building a great foundation.

• Like 1