[PGT]Round 2, Game 7 - Canucks vs Oilers - May 20th, 2024

MikeyD

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Uh…….that powerplay needs some work. Like a lotta work. 

Aside from a handful of all-stars not being able to gain the zone because of the stupid drop pass with two guys waiting behind their goal line?!!!  Edmonton comes into the zone with speed which backs the other team back to allow the D to get the puck with time.  The Canuck's drop pass  simply sets up 3 Canuck forwards and all 5 Edmonton guys at the blue line......super tough to break through that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Always sucks when they lose.  Now I want the Oil to win so the snobs in Montreal can shut up.

Order of teams I want to see win.

Oilers

Rangers 

Stars

Still lower

Those rats from Florida.   I'm sick of seeing teams like them win while the Canucks and Jets and Sabres go cupless.

Exciting yet gut punching finish to a great season for the Canucks! 

Inability to put together a successful power play was the biggest nail in the coffin. Bad habits looking off and passing rather than shooting was another key poor spot by the club.

Playoffs come down to the details, not getting rubber on Pickard in his second game or Skinner on his game back was disappointing.

Still outraged over the Soucy suspension and it DID affect the series and was completely unacceptable.

Also to note, its tiring hearing the labeling every opponent as whiners or scum or garbage. Nashville had a very good hard working team and the Oilers while a top heavy lineup I just didn't see the depth but two best forwards in the world is nothing to laugh at.

I suspect we had some important players playing with bad injuries, Hughes was diminished from the Nashville series, pretty sure Hronek had an upper body injury since the later part of the year. Be interesting to see who had what injuries.

Was a solid turnaround and stabilizing year + since new management came in.

I would suspect Vancouver sees PA, Tocchet, and Hughes take home NHL hardware this offseason.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

I don’t understand this team… We always find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot… If we played the way we did in the third period all game we would’ve easily come out on top - we were dominating  them… They played so tentatively at the start and let the Oilers dictate the play until the third… in a game 7… 

It’s just crazy…

It’s like the games are fixed…

or planned…

As soon as we started playing we dominated…

the referees totally favoured the Oilers the entire series - it’s like they did everything they could to help them…

We owned the Oilers all year I’m so frustrated right now

If we had a healthy team we would’ve destroyed the Oilers and probably five games or even less…

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He needed to be far better this post season, but tonight wasn't on him. He showed heart the entire game.

It will be interesting to hear what injury he actually has. It was obviously something that wasn’t gonna get worse nor prevent him from playing, but his core strength was nil. He wasn’t able to take is lethal one time slapper since all star break nor stay on his skates. Someone guessed at a sports hernia; makes 1000% sense.

And Hughes got some upper body injury in that game against the preds where he got hammered a few times late and came up lame. That took a notch outta him. Then, the dirty slew foot by Kane seemed to finish him off. Forget all the BS in this series, but that play was absolutely brutal; shoulda been 5min and game plus discipline.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NucksFan said:

Coach loves Meyers , would not be surprised if they resign him at a big discount

I don't think there's anything wrong with Myers, except for his pay. If we can get him for much less, I'd love it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DarthMelvin said:

I dunno Lindy did pretty good. 

I wanted Lindy but I didn't want him at the cost of Kuzmenko. We paid a premium for him, but I guess we needed the cap space too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Bad call to bring both Mikheyev and Lafferty in the game! Teams been struggling all playoffs to get shots and generate offence and we put in 2 guys that bring no offence. Also putting one of them on the 1rst line to boot!

Who else do you bring in? Lekkerimäki?

Posted (edited)

Hate to say it ... Oilers dominated tonight. 

They got it done.

Great series. We had a great run. 

The entire year was a great success.

We finally, legitimately, have unfinished business. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It was evident after the break, and we waited for a trade at deadline.  But management wasn't going to risk it all.  They all said publicly that this team is ahead of their plan.  They have a 3-4 yr plan, building around QH and Demko's contract as the window to compete.

I have faith in the management to continue the surgery and make the team even better.  Wilander, EP D, Jonathan L still to come in the nexrt couple of yrs.   

Last time Pettersson broke open a game still that LA game when he scored a goal and dumped the puck towards the LA bench for a too many men call? 🤣

Just now, -dlc- said:

I really think he did a great job in the playoffs overall. He was more focused from what I saw...more engaged.

I thought so also. 

But I feel its because it was his last year of his contract. 

We'll see. 

What I like about Myers is something that we don't get to see often is his hands. He has great stick handling skills. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

Myers surprised the hell out of me this playoffs.

He went from never using his body effectively to doing it consistently. Probably helps because he's less terrified to get a minor penalty in the playoffs.

Exactly!

Before he'd slide on the ice on his belly and put himself out of the play if it didn't work.

Even how he looked..he up'd the intensity a whole lot. 

• Like 2