[WCF] Dallas Stars (C1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Stars in 7
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like Fla should be able to handle them, but you can't really bet against the Oilers either.

Assuming they get past Dallas, this will be McDavids big chance, I can see him turning it up another level, I thinks it’ll be a long, tough series.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Assuming they get past Dallas, this will be McDavids big chance, I can see him turning it up another level, I thinks it’ll be a long, tough series.

I agree, but Florida is just so good and if Bob is on, he'll be the toughest goalie the Oilers have faced......as they all have for Edmonton, it'll come down to special teams

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Dallas forwards are too soft.

Florida forwards will challenge Edm more.

I agree there

Still it's going to come down to can Florida stop Edmonton's pp and can they crack Edmonton's pk

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Teams are playing like they are scared to take a penalty.

Explains the lack of physicality. There hasn't been a lot of hitting. 

Dallas needs to play like there's only 5 minutes left in the hockey game. They seem to have the same problem as us in this low event games. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like Fla should be able to handle them, but you can't really bet against the Oilers either.

Maurice needs to turn it into an aggressive series right from the hop, imo. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yep. Overcame a lot. Showed a lot of resiliency. We'll learn and grow from it. 

Bettman realized how close Vancouver  is to going to the dance and ensured coilers moved on. Better in his world for McDavid to be in the spotlight. 

Commentators on US channels mention the Canucks D and the assigned checkers pressed Edmonton and McDavid far more effectively than Dallas has been.

Gave him far less room, always someone on him... (Miller most of the time)

Dallas has not been physical enough... it has not been a physical series.

If you let the Oilers skate unhampered, they will slice and dice you.

What I am seeing is a series where the 1st period has been Edmonton's to exploit... in the Canuck series, there were a couple games like that, but there were also a couple games when they were effective.

All in all, I think the way Dallas has played this series reflects well on the Canucks... considering Demko's absence, Pettersson 's less than 100% effectiveness, and Boeser missing the final game.

Oettinger has not been a difference maker in this series... unlike the previous series vs Vegas and Colorado... he was very good in those.  I think Silovs played better vs the Oilers.

And Skinner has just not been pressed by the Stars... the Canucks didn't get many shots, but they did take advantage of their chances much better than Dallas.

I will be very surprised if Dallas comes back.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

I agree there

Still it's going to come down to can Florida stop Edmonton's pp and can they crack Edmonton's pk

Watching the Florida/rangers series, they're very different from the teams that Oils have faced so far. LA, Dallas, and Canucks aren't fast teams..Oils have adjusted in the latter part of the series against us to keep the game low event (I can't believe I'm saying this but thats defense). I think Florida has the speed to attack in waves and also the non stop grind to wear teams out. It'd be interesting to see how well Oils' current style will match up against Florida..

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree there

Well there have been a couple soft calls

As they say those usually even themselves out

But it could be the edge McD needs to win it

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Dallas forwards are too soft.

Florida forwards will challenge Edm more.

I agree... Florida is much more physical...

But... Edmonton's defense is bigger than Dallas.  If they can continue to play well and avoid mistakes, they will be tough to intimidate.

Guys like Kane could also be a factor... Tkachuk and Bennett are 'pretend' tough... Kane is 'Real' tough... If Bennett starts running around I could see Kane laying down the law.  Kane was a non-factor in the Canucks series because he knew Big Z would kick his a$$ if he tried anything... I don't see anyone comparable to Z on Florida.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -Buzzsaw- said:

I agree... Florida is much more physical...

But... Edmonton's defense is bigger than Dallas.  If they can continue to play well and avoid mistakes, they will be tough to intimidate.

Guys like Kane could also be a factor... Tkachuk and Bennett are 'pretend' tough... Kane is 'Real' tough... If Bennett starts running around I could see Kane laying down the law.  Kane was a non-factor in the Canucks series because he knew Big Z would kick his a$$ if he tried anything... I don't see anyone comparable to Z on Florida.

Edmonton's pretty easy to intimidate with cowards like Nurse, Drysaitl, and McDavid.  All of those 3 have serious issues when the game gets physical and start concentrating on diving and throwing tantrums to the ref instead of playing the game.

Posted (edited)

Bouchard quietly climbing up the all-time season playoff defensemen rankings, already at 8 with 25 points in 17 games.   Won't  catch his coach Coffey at number one with 37 (12 goals) in 18 games, but like his coach, he's got some game, and likely passes Makar, and maybe Al Mac.   Assuming Dallas doesn't make a comeback. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Have to admit, the Oilers have an extra gear that other teams don't. If they win, it will be interesting to see if the Panthers D can do a better job neutralizing that in their own zone. 

• Cheers 1