[WCF] Dallas Stars (C1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Stars in 7
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

I am happy for RNH though. Can you imagine what he must have gone through his 13 years with the Oilers. From the failed rebuild to now being in the Cup finals with this organization 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I am happy for RNH though. Can you imagine what he must have gone through his 13 years with the Oilers. From the failed rebuild to now being in the Cup finals with this organization 

Nah, he had a chance to leave and go to a respectable organization,  but chose to stay there.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Doesn’t matter fuck the oilers. That organization in general couldn’t figure it out, year after year getting first round picks until they got mcgoof 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 7:20 AM, HKSR said:

And what about our other guys? I didn't say if all of them were healthy.  Several of our guys were injured too. 

The type of injury matters too.  I'd imagine if Mcdavid's knee was injured, he would be a shell of what he normally is.  The knees are arguably the most important part of a hockey player's body other than their head.  Knee injuries end player's careers on a regular basis.  Even the greatest ones of all time (Ie. Orr, Bure, etc).

But let's not be ignorant.  the biggest difference was Demko, and you can't deny that.  No matter how good Silovs was, he was still a .898 sv% goaltender.  Demko is a Vezina nominated .917% goaltender.  That's a significant difference in goaltending and also how the team plays in front of him.  Don't try and downplay that.  A healthy Demko alone would have put us over the top in that tight series.  A different type of injury for Petey as well and we would likely have clinched our spot in the finals by now.

That’s some hokey crystal ball you have there.

If the roles were reversed, Edmonton fans could say, “well we would have beaten them, if McDavid, Draisaitl, etc were healthy.”. Playing the injury card is a total cop-out for fans. Every single team goes through injuries near at the end of the season. 

Could Demko made a difference? Possibly, but he could also totally shit the bed against them. I mean, just look at Hellebuyck in Winnipeg.

As for Pettersson, with his tendinitis. Yeah, it sure slowed him down, but I don’t know how that would have affect his ability to shoot the puck at the net. Especially on the PP, where he is stationary. Even with his bummed knee, it didn’t affect his play on the defensive side. 

The fact is, Edmonton pretty much outplayed us, for most of the series; healthy or not. If Skinner wasn’t a total sieve against us, the series would have ended a lot earlier.

Edited by shiznak
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Iceduzit said:

Doesn’t matter fuck the oilers. That organization in general couldn’t figure it out, year after year getting first round picks until they got mcgoof 

There's still a human element here. RNH was with the organization in the worst times and best times, so we can at least, as human beings, be happy he's finally being rewarded by competing for the Stanley Cup 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

There's still a human element here. RNH was with the organization in the worst times and best times, so we can at least, as human beings, be happy he's finally being rewarded by competing for the Stanley Cup 

No thanks, I'd rather trade that off then hearing more of how many cups you guys got? by those annoying ass undeserving fans, Fuck the Oil!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wing said:

I think how much will the refs let Florida play their game will impact the series. If Florida gets called whenever they touch 97 then they could really get themselves in trouble.

Hope they run him over big time.... to see how he gets to dance through 3-4 players without anyone nailing him is astonishing...

BTW good job refs... a nice dive for Oilers first PP, and that dirt bag Craig Simpson shamelessly called the play afterwards, despite it could clearly be seen that Tanev never touched the skate of Hyman the diving prick.

This matters enormously, when you know, how good the Oilers PP is... so much for cracking down on embellishment. 

In saying all of this, Dallas was crap, and didn't deserve to win... 5 million PPs and can't score on Skinner... and we moaned about the Canucks. 

Here's hoping Panthers can knock them over... 

If Oilers win the cup, they'll be the most underserving team to win the cup in a long time... Guess embellishment doesn't matter as another generational talent, and a Canadian club at that, gets a cup, and its good for marketing... wait another 20-30 years for it to happen next time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 4:21 AM, Pears said:

The Habs fans I went to school with in Prince George who were pulling for Boston would say otherwise. Polls don't show the whole story and aren't accurate lol how it went back then was if you weren't a Canucks fan you either didn't watch hockey or were pulling for Boston.  

So, you talked to those Habs fans, who doesn’t even live in Montreal or Quebec and they chose to root against us? Wow. I’m sorry they aren’t real Canadien fans. 

I doubt any diehard Canadien fans will be cheering for the Bruins. The Bruins-Habs rivalry is considered to be one of the greatest rivalry, not just in hockey, but in sports. There’s too much history and bad blood between the two teams.

It’d be the equivalent to us cheering for the Blackhawks against the Leafs.

Edited by shiznak
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Canuck You said:

No thanks, I'd rather trade that off then hearing more of how many cups you guys got? by those annoying ass undeserving fans, Fuck the Oil!

Just curious, how many Oiler fans do you personally know, and we're you even around for their dynasty years?

Don't know any of their fans.   Haven't spent a lot of time there.    Canrmore, Banff, Calagary, EDM, Jasper a couple times for some of them, is as close as i've been and only for a few days each time.      The amount of poor loser man ship on this site is pretty hilarious.   They said (majority), they'd cheer for us if we made it past them before the final, now that they are in there, not going to "yippee!" about it, also not going to forget they are a Canadian team, filled with Canadians either.     They really got to some of us, Heffy's on a rant.    

Dallas, well they also couldn't beat them.    No matter how much whining goes on, the Oilers deserve to be in the Final.   

Florida and their no-state tax bugs me more than "how many cups Edmonton has".    Back then, our team wasn't that good, and we cheered heavily for the Gretzy led Oiler's and for the Flames too, once our fate was sealed, at least until we got good enough to challenge, then things started to change (89).   Also cheered for Ryan Smyth and Pronger.   Funny how they've kept to their roots and keep bringing in Canadian players.    Maybe that's because they are the only ones who are willing to play there? 

Anyone who wasn't around for their other cups,  doesn't really get to say shit about that, that's like TO fans hanging on to 1967 like it still means something, if that bothers you, I'm going to guess you live amongst them.    If not, it's a computer or device, don't have to visit their forums, or excessive EDM podcast viewing.     Aside from a couple obvious Oiler fans and some stuff from their media homer, haven't seen much on this site that is that bad.

Did watch the series, and McDavid does have a punchable whiney face, Double Cross-Check was a fun moment. 

The TV picked their favourites, and well, let's be real, first crack at it and we did great, EDM's been "cracking" at it since McDavids rookie season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

So, you talked to those Habs fans, who doesn’t even live in Montreal or Quebec and they chose to root against us? Wow. I’m sorry they aren’t real Canadien fans. 

I doubt any diehard Canadien fans will be cheering for the Bruins. The Bruins-Habs rivalry is considered to be one of the greatest rivalry, not just in hockey, but in sports. There’s too much history and bad blood between the two teams.

It’d be the equivalent to us cheering for the Blackhawks against the Leafs.

No shit.  Plus in 2011, there were loads of Canuck flags in cars driving around.   If you weren't in Montreal or Ottawa at the time, don't believe the TV bullshit.   Just because Cherry's favourite team is Boston, and McLean has an obvious disdain for us (Burrows in particular),  doesn't mean we weren't getting massive support elsewhere.    

Montreal fans cheering for the Bruins?   Were they 10 year olds? Back then they were saying stuff like "i'm going to murder you next year " in the handshake line, and refusing to shake hands.   And that's not even close to their club history of hate.    You can absolutely bet, the entire province of Quebec had our backs.     And what the heck, haven't seen a Habs fan in BC that wasn't a boomer and had to pick an original six team.    Who were they rooting for?  Roy left shortly after 93.  So did 1/3 of the Legion of the Doom. 

The media didn't help, it  created  some of this "we are all alone" and "everyone hates us" victim culture.   It never existed until then, as a fan of this club, and never bought into that.   Find it incredibly short-sighted and as a stakeholder, whiny, entitled and not worth much energy.    Refs, well sure let's get on them.    That's every fanbase's favourite bitch fest. 

EDM might not have a likeable team.   Is some of this envy though?   Or childish.   Not sure.     Can choke it down.    And give them the respect their fans gave us.    And we DID get in 2011 where I lived at the time, and have since.   If Ontario and Quebec's biggest metro and surrounding area's, put some merch in their windows and showed their support, that's good enough for me.   Plus saw it with my own eyeballs, didn't miss a Canuck game until Covid,  and for years after,  1/3 of the Sens arena, wore our colours, was like going to a Leafs game in the 90's in Vancouver.   "Go Leafs Go!"  "Leafs SUCK!!"   Some fun fan dynamic.   If that's not support, then don't know what is.    Lived in a small town 40 minutes away.   And even there a lot of Canuck flags.  Same with other small towns in the area, all the way to MTL.    So that's, from personal experience, total horseshit.    Fabricated. 

Can't speak of everywhere, but saw a ton of support in the OTT and Montreal area during and AFTER, the 2011 run.    That team made a lot of fans too,  some younger people I know, don't cheer for the Sens, cheer for Vancouver, not a lot but some do, and that's pretty amazing (30 somethings).    Sedins did that.   Met one who's a Bure fan, 45 or so now.   Canucks fan since as a result.    And diehard one at that.   

Habs fans cheering for Boston?   That's a laugh.   And why would anyone pick Montreal from BC, unless they were around for their dynasty and Lafluers days?  

Get that EDM would be much easier to be the total enemy, if they were a US team.    They aren't.   And haven't exactly had much to cheer about since the early 1990 either.     Can give them some slack for now.    If this is the start of a rivalry,  might regret it, but have to tip my hat to Holland/brass for bringing in Ekholm, adding Hyman and others, and despite probably being the most unlikeable superstar in my lifetime, McDavid's actual hockey game.  

When the dust settles.   And Canada is creating a team for the next Olympics (to a lesser degree the Canada Cup, World Cup of Hockey or whatever),  there will be some Oilers on it.   Won't be any Canucks on it.   And won't be cheering for the US.

Anyone complaining about having no money and living in Vancouver, the trade off is places like EDM.   Filled with people who like the military go off and spend most of their days working in camps (away from their families).   We can tease them for their ugly city, can't tease them for the hard work life and the fact they earn an appropriate salary for that life.   It's a choice.   Many of them do retire and have driven housing up in BC.   That's been going on my entire life though, and well my Grandparents and their parents generation built small town BC and it's economy.    Before that it wasn't our land.    This isn't Europe, and don't have the right to complain about anyone moving in from other provinces despite that legacy. 

They are still part of our country, and well if we ever split it up, you can bet Alberta would be part of it.   Because we'd want them.    And their Oil and food, and so many already live here.  

Tough to cheer for them,  but a cup in Florida excites me about as much as a trump rally.    Lesser of two evils, plus it's the right thing to do.   Just because real or fictionalized things happened to us in 2011, doesn't mean we need to pass it on (sulk and not express any sportsmanship ourselves).    It's just as bad as the McWhiner looking at the ref at the slightest engagement.   Same thing in my books.     Tochett sure wouldn't have it, and our team acted great,  don't see why we shouldn't as well.   

EDM might be at or near the bottom of  Canadian teams i'd like to win a cup.   They are still above any US ones.   At least until we start seeing one close to the math odds, as one every 4-5 years.  

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I wonder which team has been scripted to win this? 

Oilers. I can see Bettman coming out and say see guys I don’t hate Canada’s team! McDavid bring the cup back to Canada. 

I hope next year when they come we beat them 10-0 

2 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Oilers. I can see Bettman coming out and say see guys I don’t hate Canada’s team! McDavid bring the cup back to Canada. 

I hope next year when they come we beat them 10-0 

Could also see them wanting to prop up Florida considering their struggles with ticket sales before the team became decent.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Could also see them wanting to prop up Florida considering their struggles with ticket sales before the team became decent.

Or another team comes out of nowhere and crashes in 

kJ3uwE.gif

• Haha 1