[WCF] Dallas Stars (C1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Stars in 7
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

Disappointing showing by Dallas, their offense just dried up 

I was sure they'd come out of the west, too bad, guess I'm rooting for Florida now 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, HKSR said:

Well if EDM didn't have Draisatl or McDavid in the lineup (kinda like we didn't have Demko), they'd have a pretty strong argument that I would say is a legitimate one.  Even the Oilers fans were worried Demko would be available during that series.

You'd be surprised how much pressure is on a knee when a slap shot is taken.  Not sure how you can say it didn't affect his defensive game either.  He looked a lot weaker defensively after the ASG too.

The Skinner argument is a very weak one.  He was and is their starting goaltender.  So he's part of their TEAM just as Demko should have been part of ours.  Instead, we literally had to play our 3rd string goaltender who registered a sub .900 sv% which is pretty poor in terms of goaltending statistics.  Those are facts.

The Skinner argument is super weak.   Of all the starters, or goalies who played more than a game or two in the playoffs, he's got the second best high danger shot save percentage.   Behind Bobrovsky, and not that far behind either.     They wouldn't be in the final without that.    And their run and gun style leads to swapping chances at times (although they've reined that in considerably).    Look at what he did to close out Dallas!    And well,  we had that extra goal to tie the game a few times in game 7 didn't we.   Denied. 

For sure if our team was 100%, we'd of made it past them, depth is part of the game though, two of our star players we didn't have.    EP and Demko.    Teams close.   Lindholm, not sure we'd of made it past NSH without him.    That mitigated our clubs fortunes for sure.   How the brass is going to manage to bring most of these guys back for round two is a math problem.       

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Probably the dreariest part of the Oilers moving on, was rooting for Pavs

If Dallas got through, i'd be rooting for Benn as well.    Pavelski or "little Joe", was a thorn in our side on many occasions.   Like Robert's,  Theo Fluery and most of those CAL teams from 89-95 or so,  for sure respected them.    Same as Pavelski.   It's sad to see some guys that we had great rivalries, retire without a cup ring, he's one of them. 

Wouldn't be opposed to trying to add him on a one year deal, not sure he'd want to come though.    Or if he'd even consider it (retiring?).  Same thing as Jumbo late in his career when he was chasing, to anchor our 3rd line. Spezza.   Other guys too.    With our "All American" roster, who knows maybe he'd consider that, and the fact we are very close too.   

Maybe if the Oilers fans said they'd cheer for Dallas i'd feel a little different.    Can't help who they've got on their team, it is what it is.   Probably the dirtiest team in the league, and definitely the most whiny.   

Won't be that disappointed either,  Rhino is a BC boy, and Barkov is one of my favourite players to watch not on our team.     Kind of feels like a participation ribbon i'd assume feels like for kids the past 20 or so years (since they started doing this), either way.     Got something to stick on the wall that really shouldn't be at all excited about.    

At least hope the hockey is good.  

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 6:42 AM, HKSR said:

Well if EDM didn't have Draisatl or McDavid in the lineup (kinda like we didn't have Demko), they'd have a pretty strong argument that I would say is a legitimate one.  Even the Oilers fans were worried Demko would be available during that series.

You'd be surprised how much pressure is on a knee when a slap shot is taken.  Not sure how you can say it didn't affect his defensive game either.  He looked a lot weaker defensively after the ASG too.

The Skinner argument is a very weak one.  He was and is their starting goaltender.  So he's part of their TEAM just as Demko should have been part of ours.  Instead, we literally had to play our 3rd string goaltender who registered a sub .900 sv% which is pretty poor in terms of goaltending statistics.  Those are facts.

Pettersson was 5th on team in xGA/60 and scoring chances against/60, throughout the entire series. While only being scored on once, when he was on the ice. I think that’s a pretty adequate performance on the defensive side.

I don’t understand how that was a weak argument? Skinner, being their number 1 goalie, is suppose to keep them in games. He didn’t, up until game 6. He literally gave us game 1 and 3 with his weak performance in net. Us starting our 3rd string is irrelevant, when Tocchet had the option to go to DeSmith, whenever he wanted, but he choose to keep Silvos in net, because he felt he gave us a better chance of winning (ie: What Knoblauch did with his goaltending tandem.).

Funny how you mentioned, Silovs stats when he had a better SV% and GAA than Skinner, during that series. 

Edited by shiznak

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Pettersson was 5th on team in xGA/60 and scoring chances against/60, throughout the entire series. While only being scored on once, when he was on the ice. I think that’s a pretty adequate performance on the defensive side.

I don’t understand how that was a weak argument? Skinner, being their number 1 goalie, is suppose to keep them in games. He didn’t, up until game 6. He literally gave us game 1 and 3 with his weak performance in net. Us starting our 3rd string is irrelevant, when Tocchet had the option to go to DeSmith, whenever he wanted, but he choose to keep Silvos in net, because he felt he gave us a better chance of winning (ie: What Knoblauch did with his goaltending tandem.).

Funny how you mentioned, Silovs stats when he had a better SV% and GAA than Skinner, during that series. 

Skinner is part of that team.    Silovs didn't have the best save percentage either, and let's be real unless it's significant, like .918, there isn't much difference between .875 and .89 or whatever it was.     Quality of shots matter a lot,  muffins from the outside versus quality scoring chances...it's the quality that matters.   In this regard, Skinner is second behind Bobrovsky so far this postseason, in other words, he makes the hardest saves.  

The Zadarov goal may have caught him by surprise,  Draisatl does this all the time, to me that was the only goal Skinner let in, that was a real gift to us.   From the same area, when Draisatl does it...well then it's a "great shot!".    It was a great shot, a highly skilled play.   Maybe just maybe, we won those games because the obvious tactic and coaching against EDM, was not to waste shots and keep possession.   Not a bad tactic considering they had us on speed, and giving up possession wasn't the game.   Forechecking and pounding away on their D and their forwards.    Was a physical series, once we got that it was ok to do it anyways. 

EDM vs VAN is considered the best series to date (most entertaining).   Not sure why fans need to invalidate our efforts.    Saying Skinner is a mediocre starter is fine.    Agree we probably win that series if we had Demko doing his double bubble Demko, well we'd of won the cup in that case.     .985 lol.   Not sustainable.   If we had .922, it would have been enough to reduce their goals by a couple, that's it (especially given we needed more quality chances too).    Even with more quality shots, high danger ones, in Skinners case, .844 is elite.    Demko's power play save percentage, unlikely wouldn't have changed our fortunes much.    5 x 5, yes that would have helped.  

Reality is, and can't change this fact, it was a 7 game series.   And we were one goal away from OT.     If the Panthers beat EDM, then it won't matter.   If EDM beats them in five or even six, it's possible the best series was Vancouver, EDM. 

Last year the best series was Vegas/Dallas, and it wasn't really close (the final).    Happens.   The Canucks have a long history losing to the eventual  cup champs.   Happened to us often in the 90's early 2000's.    COL/DET.     Also happened to us with the Sedins and LA. 

Hopefully, this is the start of a rivalry.    Might be a short one,  cap era it's the best we can hope for.    We haven't had a divisional rival since the SJ/VAN days.    LA meh.   Our team was downhill skiing by then.   

That's the bright side.   And Silovs played well enough to get us to Game 7.    Take away the power play goals and his save percentage i'm sure would look a lot better. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Skinner is a particularly weak argument because he is their #1 goalie.  Whether he played well or not is irrelevant.  They are saddled with a weaker goaltender because they spent all their cap on their other players.  The Canucks did not. The fact is the Canucks were missing their #1 Vezina caliber goaltender from their lineup.  We had to rely on a 3rd string goaltender.  Our team was not complete.  Theirs was.  Period.

Exactly. We were missing our most important player. With Demko it’s clear we dispatch the Coilers in five. It’s going to bring Alf great joy watching McWhiner crying salty tears as the Panthers parade the Cup around the Oiler home rink. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 6:43 AM, HKSR said:

Skinner is a particularly weak argument because he is their #1 goalie.  Whether he played well or not is irrelevant.  They are saddled with a weaker goaltender because they spent all their cap on their other players.  The Canucks did not. The fact is the Canucks were missing their #1 Vezina caliber goaltender from their lineup.  We had to rely on a 3rd string goaltender.  Our team was not complete.  Theirs was.  Period.

One could argue being an all star means showing up when it matters the most. By hook or by crook our best players didn’t. No blame, just an observation.

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

One could argue being an all star means showing up when it matters the most. By hook or by crook our best players didn’t. No blame, just an observation.

Are you referring to Demko?

Probably the best worst case scenario for the Oil.  They outplayed the hell out of the Panthers, but Bob stood on his head.  They can feel good about how they played and the media can't really dogpule on skinner for losing the game when Bob was unbeatable 

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Probably the best worst case scenario for the Oil.  They outplayed the hell out of the Panthers, but Bob stood on his head.  They can feel good about how they played and the media can't really dogpule on skinner for losing the game when Bob was unbeatable 

But, Floridas f group won't likely have two sub par games in a row. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

But, Floridas f group won't likely have two sub par games in a row. 

Again, people have been saying that about every opponent the Oilers have faced and they keep outplaying teams.

However, my post was referring more to the media stotm following the loss........they can't really pile on skinner for losing the game and they can't say they were outplayed.

Had Fla dominated them or had they lost a one goal game where skinner let in some softies, it would be a media crucifixion.  So, if they're going to take an L, this was probably best case scenario for them

The way i see it is that If we had bubble demko, this is how our series with edmonton would have went. 

I think its funny that the media is saying edmonton played good. I personally think the panthers outplayed them in offence, defense, physicality and goaltending. Offensive possession time was very close all game. Oilers fire everything from perimeter/point at the net besides mcdavid. The panthers used their offensive time to set up dangerous plays. Further they capitalized on nurse being equivalent to ian cole.