2024-2025 Season Ticket Thread

16 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If true - that's impressive because I lost money on nearly every pair I sold over the last 7 years I had ST's (excluding this past season)   I couldn't even give tickets away in the last 2 years I had my ST's because the team had become so terrible and the fanbase shrivelled up dramatically and so I finally gave them up after over 2 deacdes losing thousands on games I couldn't attend and wasting countless hours and stress of trying to sell tickets. 

Now i just buy tickets on craiglist or last minute on TM and get them for cheap for any game I desire- with ease!   Even the UBIV's were only selling for $120/ea in the 1st round this past season, which was barely above cost so I'm not sure how that guy made massive profits because even the tickets posted for Round 2 on the most expensive resale site (Ticketmaster) were only 20-40% above cost - go figure !

I sold a single round 2 game 2 for $300 in UB4 almost 3x my cost 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

So the Canucks ticket exchange group on FB is being taken down

IMG_8687.jpeg

Wow.  I never even knew that group existed.  They really are cracking down.  

(At first I read it as Ticketmaster's TicketExchange was being taken down and I nearly had a panic attack.)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Wow.  I never even knew that group existed.  They really are cracking down.  

(At first I read it as Ticketmaster's TicketExchange was being taken down and I nearly had a panic attack.)

I’ve been in it since the beginning, sucks to see it go 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

I’ve been in it since the beginning, sucks to see it go 

Guess they're cracking down on resales and only want them done through Ticketmaster! I wonder when the schedule will come out. Maybe soon! 

21 minutes ago, Rypper_37 said:

Guess they're cracking down on resales and only want them done through Ticketmaster! I wonder when the schedule will come out. Maybe soon! 

Next week prob around the awards 

• Like 1

The Vancouver Canucks say they’re revoking season ticket accounts from some people they believe are professional ticket brokers but Derek Wright insists that common fans are winding up collateral damage.

Wright, who’s from Mission, started up the Canucks Ticket Exchange on Facebook eight years ago. It had grown to have “almost 11,000 members,” Wright explained via email, and it “allowed blue-collar fans like myself to see more games because often fans were able to buy tickets for less money than Ticketmaster.”

A Canucks spokesperson said Tuesday morning that the team has been researching season ticket holder accounts. They looked at people they felt were reselling tickets too frequently, as well as people who had several accounts. Some of those had different addresses but a single billing address, for instance.

A written statement from the team explained that “our goal with season ticket memberships is to create a sense of community and allow fans to attend as many games as possible. Restricting ticket brokers from purchasing memberships and tickets will help create the best possible experience for our fans and protect the integrity of our season ticket members.”

There’s no word from the team about a ticket reselling threshold or about how many tickets being sold to other parties leads to an account being questioned. Canucks season ticket holders can resell their tickets through Ticketmaster, according to the team website.

Wright has posted a closure statement on the Canucks Ticket Exchange page. He hasn’t had his season tickets revoked, but he told Postmedia that he’s heard that “almost 100 accounts” have lost their seats.

“A lot of season ticket holders aren’t able to attend every game. That leaves them trying to sell the rest to help recoup some of their costs. Remember, these are seat packages in the thousands of dollars,” Wright wrote to Postmedia.

“The Canucks organization has a deal with Ticketmaster, which I understand and they obviously want their cut. Unfortunately, the minimum amount that you’re able to sell tickets for is often high enough that the tickets would go unsold and, especially when the team wasn’t doing well or we were playing a team people didn’t care to see on a work night. What would happen then is basically the ticket holder would take a total loss on those games often in the hundreds of dollars.

“Now that the team is doing well and ticket demand/prices are high again, the Canucks organization has made the decision to turn against those same season ticket members who kept them going through hard times by revoking season ticket members’ accounts for being ticket resellers on groups such as ours. The funny thing is, it didn’t seem to bother them when it was helping them move tickets that they themselves were having trouble moving.

“I understand that they are a for-profit organization, but by making the decision to revoke season ticket holders accounts for selling tickets, what they’ve really done is make tickets less accessible for the average Joe. Ticketmaster prices are often quite high, and even the Canucks themselves often sell their unsold tickets lower than Ticketmaster sells them for. But no tickets were as low as what you could buy directly from the season ticket holder.”

Peter Wortman says that he’s been a season-ticket holder for 33 years. An email to him dated June 12 from the Canucks stated that his seats weren’t being renewed because “you have either resold 100 per cent of your tickets or forwarded them to known broker accounts.”

Wortman balks at that claim. He’s from Pemberton. He says that he can’t make every game. By his count, he made it to 17 of the 41 home games this past regular season.

He admits that he’s resold to ticket brokers, but maintains he resells mostly to family and friends and his goal is to break even on his tickets every season. He “lost a lot of money,” on his Canucks tickets when the team was struggling because it was hard for him to find people who wanted his seats.

“I know it’s a cash grab,” Wortman continued of this recent Canucks decision. “We’re not stupid.

“They keep saying it’s about giving the average fan a better chance but they’re going to be charging more than we were.”

Tom Mayenknecht, who hosts The Sports Market on Sportsnet 650, believes the issue for the Canucks comes down to “restricting brokers without using a sledgehammer on the average season ticket holder.

“The irony is this all comes after the buzz in the marketplace that was generated by the Canucks’ playoff run to the second round, when many season ticket holders saw first hand the advantage of season ticket holder pricing and the upside of ticket reselling — often at two to three times face value — as part of the territory of being a season ticket subscriber,” he said. “That average season ticket holder has been trained to view reselling through the Ticketmaster Exchange and team portals as an intrinsic benefit of being such a subscriber.”

@SteveEwen........

• chaos 1

You know shit's gone real when my wife - who is not a fan of the team and hates that I follow them so closely - is incensed at the bitch move being pulled by the team on STMs, and doubly so over the lack of clarity and apparent unwillingness to investigate those situations where people claim they followed the team's own rules.

(I think secretly she's a fan but she won't admit it, for fear that I'll do something rash like become a STM myself... :classic_ninja:)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

How do I know if my account has been flagged?  

Looks like they will send you a letter as per some of these news articles that I have read.

Seems like a lot of folks who forwarded tickets to brokers got their Season tickets taken away.

I guess we should be fine if we keep using Ticketmaster to sell our tickets (and make them more money in the process)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Seems like a lousy thing to do, they weren't complaining about it during the lean years when the team was mediocre

I can see it. from their side, it's not like they are selling wholesale to brokers as part of the Canucks business model. It's their product they can control it how they want to.

If it leads to fewer fans from other teams in the building that suits me just fine too. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, bt116 said:

Looks like they will send you a letter as per some of these news articles that I have read.

Seems like a lot of folks who forwarded tickets to brokers got their Season tickets taken away.

I guess we should be fine if we keep using Ticketmaster to sell our tickets (and make them more money in the process)

Okay well I haven't had a letter yet but it sounds like they are still conducting their investigation.  I am not so sure that we are okay as long as we are using Ticketmaster to resell.  It sounds to me like there is a limit to how many tickets you can resell even on Ticketmaster but they don't state what that limit is.  I think they need to.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Okay well I haven't had a letter yet but it sounds like they are still conducting their investigation.  I am not so sure that we are okay as long as we are using Ticketmaster to resell.  It sounds to me like there is a limit to how many tickets you can resell even on Ticketmaster but they don't state what that limit is.  I think they need to.  

Someone else posted in a Reddit thread that they don’t consider you a reseller if you sell on TM.  Didn’t really specify a limit though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bt116 said:

Someone else posted in a Reddit thread that they don’t consider you a reseller if you sell on TM.  Didn’t really specify a limit though.

Yeah, I saw "someone else" say that in the Reddit thread...but I haven't heard that from the Canucks so I still am not sure.  I bet there's a limit of some kind.   But it feels like they are just coming up with a limit now.  It feels like Gary Bettman punishing the Canucks with the Luongo cap recapture after the fact debacle.  

I would agree that the Canucks can control their product they way they choose and impose limits on how the tickets are resold.  I object to the way they are going about it.  I think they need to be more upfront rather than blindsiding members, especially long term STM.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Yeah, I saw "someone else" say that in the Reddit thread...but I haven't heard that from the Canucks so I still am not sure.  I bet there's a limit of some kind.   But it feels like they are just coming up with a limit now.  It feels like Gary Bettman punishing the Canucks with the Luongo cap recapture after the fact debacle.  

I would agree that the Canucks can control their product they way they choose and impose limits on how the tickets are resold.  I object to the way they are going about it.  I think they need to be more upfront rather than blindsiding members, especially long term STM.

This started last season with STM complaining they'd been stripped of their membership benefits as they were flagged for commercial resale. I saw lots of posts complaining about it. 

In the article, someone had 8 seats and was complaining. I can see why they'd do that for 8 seats as I imagine there are lots of new fans this season as we did well and made the playoffs. 

I sent two tickets around Christmas time to VIP and haven't heard anything yet. Bought them from Ticketmaster. Hopefully I don't get a letter as I don't want to deal with this at all! 

7 minutes ago, Rypper_37 said:

This started last season with STM complaining they'd been stripped of their membership benefits as they were flagged for commercial resale. I saw lots of posts complaining about it. 

In the article, someone had 8 seats and was complaining. I can see why they'd do that for 8 seats as I imagine there are lots of new fans this season as we did well and made the playoffs. 

I sent two tickets around Christmas time to VIP and haven't heard anything yet. Bought them from Ticketmaster. Hopefully I don't get a letter as I don't want to deal with this at all! 

Well I don't think two tickets is anything to worry about.  I resell a lot more than two tickets on Ticketmaster.  With the way they have raised  prices over the last couple of seasons, I can't afford to go to as many games as I used to and I need to resell more games to continue having a membership.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Well I don't think two tickets is anything to worry about.  I resell a lot more than two tickets on Ticketmaster.  With the way they have raised  prices over the last couple of seasons, I can't afford to go to as many games as I used to and I need to resell more games to continue having a membership.

Maybe email your rep and ask what the rules are for selling as things have been getting stricter? Idk

7 minutes ago, Rypper_37 said:

Maybe email your rep and ask what the rules are for selling as things have been getting stricter? Idk

Yeah I don't know that I want to draw attention to my account if it's happened to escape scrutiny so far...

2 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Yeah I don't know that I want to draw attention to my account if it's happened to escape scrutiny so far...

Fair enough! 

• Like 1