[TRADE] Bolts Reacquire McDonagh from Preds

Posted (edited)

The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired defenceman Ryan McDonagh and a 2024 fourth-round pick from the Nashville Predators in exchange for a 2024 seventh-round pick and a 2025 second-round pick.

NHL.com Link

TradeGraphics-2325-McDonagh_08

Edited by Beni
  • Haha 1
  • chaos 1

Posted (edited)

Tampa really in a "fuck them picks" mode. They don't draft til the 5th round this year, and don't have their 1st or 2nd next year. But their top 4 D looking dangerous again. Just a matter of Sergachev having better injury luck next season. Guess this really means Stammer is gone.

Edit: I am dumb, they got a 4th rounder back in this deal. Still wild they don't draft at all in the first 3 rounds and the first 2 rounds next year.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Tomorrow's headline:

Sergachev placed on LTIR, will return in April

they don't really need to do that, still have 5 mil left. I suppose if Stamkos comes back for one more really team friendly deal they don't have to make a big move.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

they don't really need to do that, still have 5 mil left. I suppose if Stamkos comes back for one more really team friendly deal they don't have to make a big move.

Boston is going to be going after Stamkos hard, me thinks. If not Stamkos, it’ll be Lindholm. But I think they take a real shot at Stamkos so we’ll see if he likes Boston’s chances of another cup better (and obviously the money).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Boston is going to be going after Stamkos hard, me thinks. If not Stamkos, it’ll be Lindholm. But I think they take a real shot at Stamkos so we’ll see if he likes Boston’s chances of another cup better (and obviously the money).

could be for sure, unless Tampa has a deal in place for moving more money out. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

could be for sure, unless Tampa has a deal in place for moving more money out. 

Tampa has mastered the cap so if he’s a priority for Tampa they’ll make it work. Unfortunately for Tampa, I think this blade cuts both ways. If Tampa has troubles making space, the kind that requires a still-perennial PPG Stamkos to take a sizeable paycut, I think Stamkos will catch the hint that he’s not a priority and it may spur him to chase another cup elsewhere while earning his rightful pay.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Tampa has mastered the cap so if he’s a priority for Tampa they’ll make it work. Unfortunately for Tampa, I think this blade cuts both ways. If Tampa has troubles making space, the kind that requires a still-perennial PPG Stamkos to take a sizeable paycut, I think Stamkos will catch the hint that he’s not a priority and it may spur him to chase another cup elsewhere while earning his rightful pay.

I'd like us to keep Lindy, so if Boston went for Stamkos I'd be happy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Tampa Bay is crazy will be 35 to start the next season signed for 3 more years at a 6.75 mill cap hit. I’ll admit he’s still good for 22+ minutes a night but he’s a bit old with term and left handed. There had to be better options in FA when you also factor in keeping your picks!

39 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Tomorrow's headline:

Sergachev placed on LTIR, will return in April

people love being facetious about the "LTIR Loophole".... a great good it did Vegas this year!  Turns out having your players injured for the last few months of the year only to come back for the playoffs isn't super great for team chemistry on the whole.

5 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

people love being facetious about the "LTIR Loophole".... a great good it did Vegas this year!  Turns out having your players injured for the last few months of the year only to come back for the playoffs isn't super great for team chemistry on the whole.

It’s a gamble for sure - Vegas is going to have some pain this off season. But would I trade some offseason pain for a cup? Absolutely.

Posted (edited)

Tampa's defence is getting pretty old with McDonagh and Hedman. I always forget how young Point and Kucherov are though. Tampa's probably going to keep trying to push for another cup for the next 2+ years, with or without Stamkos.

Not sure they'll be able to keep up with the likes of the Rangers and Panthers in the East.

Edited by MattJVD

21 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Tampa's defence is getting pretty old with McDonagh and Hedman. I always forget how young Point and Kucherov are though. Tampa's probably going to keep trying to push for another cup for the next 2+ years, with or without Stamkos.

Not sure they'll be able to keep up with the likes of the Rangers and Panthers in the East.

Tampa, no doubt, realizes they were missing something since he left!

What I am not sure of is why Nash does this?  Even without Ekholm, warriors O'Reilly & McDonagh dragged them to a play off invite not many expected. For the first time in eons, they don't seem to have an arms long list of blue chip D in the system...

Maybe Trotz actually planned / preferred to be in the lottery???

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What I am not sure of is why Nash does this?  Even without Ekholm, warriors O'Reilly & McDonagh dragged them to a play off invite not many expected. For the first time in eons, they don't seem to have an arms long list of blue chip D in the system...

This was my thought too. But maybe McD requested a trade back to Tampa, if possible?

Nashville may also be looking to make a play for a top free agent (Reinhart?), And need to clear some cap. They may be able to fill in McDonagh's spot in free agency for cheaper, with someone younger.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nashville has 11.8 Million of buyouts and retained salary on the books next year and 8.8 Mil in 25/26 before dropping to a manageable 3.5 in 26/27. I don't think they saw a path to improvement with that much of a cap penalty. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

“However, re-acquiring McDonagh doesn’t mean the Lightning are in a more advantageous cap situation than when they traded him away. They’re down to just over $5MM in projected cap space next season with a roster size of 18, per CapFriendly, likely not enough to re-sign Stamkos without a corresponding move.

Evolving Hockey projects Stamkos could earn close to $8.5MM annually on a short-term deal on the open market, and while he’s likely willing to take a hometown discount to stay in Tampa, a contract worth less than half his market value would be extreme. They also have a couple of other depth forward spots to fill to ice a full roster, and none of their minor-league forwards are particularly strong candidates to crack next fall’s opening night roster.

After trading away their 2025 second-rounder in this deal, the Lightning now don’t have a pick in the first two rounds until 2026. That’s a tough sell for an aging core, considering they have a bottom-five prospect pool in the league, as analyzed by The Athletic’s Scott Wheeler.

Meanwhile, Trotz frees up some significant cap space to allow Nashville to be slightly more aggressive in free agency. The buyout penalty for Matt Duchene increases by $3MM on July 1 to a $5.55MM price tag next season, eating into their offseason flexibility. After moving McDonagh, CapFriendly now projects the Preds with $26MM in space next season with a roster size of 15. That’s more than enough to go big-game hunting for a younger, more cost-controlled replacement for McDonagh on the open market this summer.”

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/lightning-acquire-ryan-mcdonagh-from-predators.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

Guess this means Stammer is gonna sign for a deep discount over term but with a massive signing bonus that won’t count against cap. interesting