Thatcher Demko Load Management

How many games should Demko play next season?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should Demko play next season?

• 45-50
    • 50-60
    • 60+
    • NO GAMES OFF!

One thing that is evident to me is that going into next season, the Canucks need to do a better job of managing Thatcher Demko's load. He is a competitive guy who probably wants to play every game, but that is not sustainable and is leading to long-term injuries at key times for him. This is now 2 seasons in a row where he's missed significant time due to injuries (35 games missed in 22-23 and 26 (regular season and playoffs) missed in 23-24. 

With the performance of Silovs, I think the Canucks need to take a more balanced approach with Demko and limit his games to the 50-55 mark. Looking at the goalies who are still in the playoffs, here's their regular season games played this season:

Sergei Bobrovsky - 58 

Igor Shesterkin - 55

Jake Oettinger - 54

Stuart Skinner - 59

Thatcher Demko - 51 GP (missed 14 regular season games with injury)

To me, it's clear that there's a sweet spot and that playing 60+ games isn't the way to go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This post season is a game changer, imo. It is now feasible that there is a very real possibility of a succession plan regarding Demko.  If AS can continue, next season, where he just left off, the team has options that most thought weren't there two months ago 

However, those of us who have been following Abby closely shouldn't really be surprised........he's been the backbone of that team for two years.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Injuries can happen even if you load manage.  Load management is to make sure he’s not fatigued and yes you are more prone to injuries if youre fatigued but IMO Demko/Clark have a strong pulse on that.  

Lets not simply infer Thatcher’s injury resulted from playing time.  But if Silovs is back up he can definitely provide a good amount of games which would be good for his development and Demko’s game load.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Silovs has proven he can step up in the biggest of games and be the best player on the ice. 

Having a Demko-Silovs goalie tandem would be awesome, and maybe Demko wouldn't break down so easily and be available for playoffs if he didn't have to play so much. 

51 games started isn't as many as most of the elite goaltenders in the league, though.  Do these ongoing injuries become a regular problem? Demko is still relatively young, in his prime anyway. His value is at its highest.

Would you trade Demko to keep Zadorov?  Only so much money to go around. 

Can the Canucks still have success with Silovs-DeSmith?

EDIT - Change my mind. Silovs should have at least one full season as backup. Demko has 2 years left on his contract. The better time to trade Demko would be at the 2025 Draft, IMO.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Cheers 1

You should have included an option for 40-45.

That is how many games I would have Demko play.

He is clearly fragile... and he should be played moderately so he is available for the playoffs.

This is the most important need... that a healthy and well rested Demko is ready to go on the first game of the playoffs.

Silovs has shown he can play...  Canucks should use him.

Basically they should be a tandem... splitting the season... with Demko taking the more important games and the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Demko needs to be in the 50-60 range, closer to 60 than 50. He's the #1 and one of the best goalies in the league.

Yes he's had injuries the last 2 years, but I don't think it's from playing too much. Injuries happen, no matter how many games a player plays.

I mean Luongo and Brodeur used to start in the 70s. I know the game is a bit faster now, but you have an issue if you can't start your #1 55-60 games a year.

• Confused 1

45-50 games is the right answer. Demko injuries cost us a wildcard spot in 2021-22 and now cost us a playoff round in 2024. We have a big enough sample size. He cant play more than 50 games. 

Nothing is worse than having a injury prone #1 goalie. And we should remember this before throwing an 8 year deal at him.

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

We are not trading Demko. He is a top 3 goalie in the league right now, who also happens to be young. You have to draft guys like that, they never become available for trade. Silovs would sooner be traded when his value is highest, imo.

5 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Silovs has proven he can step up in the biggest of games and be the best player on the ice. 

Having a Demko-Silovs goalie tandem would be awesome, and maybe Demko wouldn't break down so easily and be available for playoffs if he didn't have to play so much. 

51 games started isn't as many as most of the elite goaltenders in the league, though.  Do these ongoing injuries become a regular problem? Demko is still relatively young, in his prime anyway. His value is at its highest.

Would you trade Demko to keep Zadorov?  Only so much money to go around. 

Can the Canucks still have success with Silovs-DeSmith?

EDIT - Change my mind. Silovs should have at least one full season as backup. Demko has 2 years left on his contract. The better time to trade Demko would be at the 2025 Draft, IMO.

Can you imagine that tandem in a nice long run at the playoffs?  Omg...

5 hours ago, stawns said:

This post season is a game changer, imo. It is now feasible that there is a very real possibility of a succession plan regarding Demko.  If AS can continue, next season, where he just left off, the team has options that most thought weren't there two months ago 

However, those of us who have been following Abby closely shouldn't really be surprised........he's been the backbone of that team for two years.

I haven’t followed Abby closely at all.

do you think there’s any chance that he “bounces” - that the league gets a book on him and he plateaus??

The guy can't stay healthy fucking ditch him! Get a return before he walks. I love the guy but he can't stay healthy!

If it's not one of his knee's it's his hips.. If it's not hips it's his fucking back! His Back feels fine? Oh well now he's pulled his groin.. 'Round and 'Round with this guy! It genuinely never seems to end.

Too unreliable.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I haven’t followed Abby closely at all.

do you think there’s any chance that he “bounces” - that the league gets a book on him and he plateaus??

Personally, I don't think so and I think he works insanely hard at his craft and he's very consistent.  He's a good balance of athleticism, style and sound positioning and that's a recipe for a long career, imo 

I havent followed Abby as closely this season, but I still watched a fair amount and he kept them in a lot of games they had no business being in, that's for sure.  He's a young goalie, but he carried that team like a veteran 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

We are not trading Demko. He is a top 3 goalie in the league right now, who also happens to be young. You have to draft guys like that, they never become available for trade. Silovs would sooner be traded when his value is highest, imo.

Not yet, that's for sure, but grooming Silovs for the starter job sure opens up the possibility in a couple of years 

Demko should play 50 games maximum next year.  I want Silovs to play a minimum of 30 games, maybe more.  I want to see what he can do in the regular season.  If Silovs plays the way he played in the playoffs next season, then we will need to explore a Demko trade in the summer of 2025 to upgrade our top 6 or RHD...

I said 45 to 50 mainly because I think we need to bring Silovs along and give him a chance to develop. He seems like he's got the skill and mindset of a starter and I think having him sit too much will cause him to stagnate. 

Well 45-50 is the only option available.. but statistically speaking Demko is only good for about 50 games total including the playoff.. 

this season he’s literally injured and pretty much done right at the 50 game

last season didn’t even make it thru the season

the season before that he played 62 games.. but if you check his game log. His stats took a nose dive after 50ish games

the season before that iirc injured again..

Demko may be a Vezina caliber goalie but it’s very clear his durability is a big question mark.. not a lot of goalie can handle the Canucks travel.. 

I say evaluate Demko next season and prolly consider trading him in the summer after. Too many injury getting close to 30.. I don’t think he has the longevity to be the goalie of the franchise long term. I definitely wouldn’t be paying him 7.5-8+ which is what he will demand in the market.

10 hours ago, hockeyville88 said:

50-55 mark

I think even this is too much for Demko. 

Should be more around 45-50, with 50 games being the top end of games he should be starting/playing in. If Demko plays 45 games in the season, that leaves Šilovs the opportunity to start the other 37 games. That's a pretty good split. Demko still receives the majority of the games, but Šilovs still has a decent amount of games where he gains more experience. I think that arrangement is a win-win situation. Keeps Demmers healthy for a long (hopefully longer than 1 game) run in the playoffs.