Thatcher Demko Load Management

How many games should Demko play next season?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should Demko play next season?

• 45-50
    • 50-60
    • 60+
    • NO GAMES OFF!

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well 45-50 is the only option available.. but statistically speaking Demko is only good for about 50 games total including the playoff.. 

this season he’s literally injured and pretty much done right at the 50 game

last season didn’t even make it thru the season

the season before that he played 62 games.. but if you check his game log. His stats took a nose dive after 50ish games

the season before that iirc injured again..

Demko may be a Vezina caliber goalie but it’s very clear his durability is a big question mark.. not a lot of goalie can handle the Canucks travel.. 

I say evaluate Demko next season and prolly consider trading him in the summer after. Too many injury getting close to 30.. I don’t think he has the longevity to be the goalie of the franchise long term. I definitely wouldn’t be paying him 7.5-8+ which is what he will demand in the market.

That's good observation. 

I think it's fair that considering how much the Canucks travel like you've mentioned, they should limit Demko's games to a maximum of 50 games. Šilovs has to play (he's still young at 23/24 years old; so he needs to continue to get playing time or his development takes a bit of a stall). 

Yeah, Demko's probably nearing the end of his time as a Canuck, though I hope he remains in Canuck colours a little while longer. 

My ideal plan for Demko would be to give him one game off every week and if there is a week with multiple back-to-backs then he gets 2 games of (i.e. if there's a week with a Monday/Tuesday back-to-back and a Friday/Saturday back-to-back then he might get Monday and Friday off for example. Ultimately means he should end up between 50-55 games, but properly spaced. It should also be very easy to schedule.

We actually have best case scenario after Demko carrying a lot of load - too much  - in recent years. 

The emergence of Silovs now allows us to manage Demko properly going forward with confidence in our backup. We can cap Demko at a hard 50 (or even less) without a dip in quality goaltending.

DeSmith was a really good step in that direction this past year but Silovs gives us an even better option.

We have two starters, one a star on the rise and the other a Vezina caliber goalie.

I would love to see Demko play max 50-55 games and then Silovs plays the remaining 27-32. This number would also vary on how many back to back we have on the schedule next season. Space it out enough we dont risk overplaying/underplaying either goalie and both are rested enough come playoff time should something happen

Silovs has emerged enough that we can rely on him for back to back nights. 

I would play Demko/Silovs 50/50 to start next season.  And slowly increase the load of whoever plays better as the season goes on.  Eventually Demko should get the upper hand and then we can ride him in the playoffs.  

This should keep Demko below 50 games, especially if Silovs outperforms Demko at times.