Run that shit back (Proposal)

Posted (edited)

Honestly let's run this roster back.

They have gained so much and really desrve another kick at the can before changes are made. My big fear is that we will make moves based on players who under performed this playoffs. (Pete/Hronek)  their peak is infront of them and man that game 7 blast from Hronek that was telegraphed all the way by Huggy before the puck was dropped. We paid the price to get these guys and their great. I vote insted of shopping this offseason lets trim this team's fat. And focus on re signing from within. We don't need shiny toys this is a roster than can win a cup we need to galvanize our core. 

image.thumb.png.e88f7efbca3a65abd9c635689c357e85.png

If we can shave a couple 100k it's a 22 man roster. 

The cap increasing will cover OEL and we have Willy, Lex, D Pete, Raty, coming from the farm 2025/26. That's when to make moves. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

They have gained so much and really desrve another kick at the can before changes are made. My big fear is that we will make moves based on players who under performed this playoffs. (Pete/Hronek)  their peak is infront of them and man that game 7 blast from Hronek that was telegraphed all the way by Huggy before the puck was dropped. We paid the price to get these guys and their great. I vote insted of shopping this offseason lets trim this team's fat. And focus on re signing from within. We don't need shiny toys this is a roster than can win a cup we need to galvanize our core. 

The cap increasing will cover OEL and we have Willy, Lex, D Pete, Raty, coming from the farm 2025/26. That's when to make moves. 

I like what youre thinking but damn i just dont think our roster this year was good enough, even with Demko back. We just didn't have the offensive punch.

We were really missing 1 scoring winger. 

Swap out Zadorov for Cole & a scoring winger like Toffoli and I think we have an improved roster for next season

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Swap out Zadorov for Cole & a scoring winger like Toffoli and I think we have an improved roster for next season

IMO go w if possible:

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Myers

Dillon Juulsen

Id hate to lose Z but Dillon would be a great replacement and that’s still a physical D to deal w.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I like what youre thinking but damn i just dont think our roster this year was good enough, even with Demko back. We just didn't have the offensive punch.

We were really missing 1 scoring winger. 

Dude Toffoli aint it. Stop. That doesn't make us better. it's the wrong perspective. That made sense then and bygones are what they are. The reality is Lindholm being a right shot and a talented one is a great 2c option. I say don't look a pony in the mouth. That Pete Miller Garland line was fire in game 7 and we know the lotto line works. If come deadline we have to re vamp our 3rd line thats a good place to be. Those moves are in our wheel house. 

While I hear you right now in this moment what we needed was an elite or at least decent winger for Pete. I don't necessarily agree that that issue needs to be addressed in that specific way. Using Pete as a 3C is infective and Lindholm is a really good 2C.  When the time comes we just buy one Blueger circa 2023. 

I think Pete at C is a luxury in addition to Pete being an elite scoring winger. 

Up front Lindholm and Dak we need back. Need to add more size and speed on wing. 
Zads, I want him back.  I would trade Hronek if can’t get in around 7. 
Myers can go.  His career with us was moments of quality and years of inconsistency. 
If we are sticking with Green’s system then we need another couple PFs to make it work.  I assume Podz will be one. 
Smarter management group than me, they will figure it out.  I hope the lack of effort for large parts of the last 2 games rings loudly in their ears and they do some surgery. 
The core group mostly did nothing in the playoffs, that is concerning. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No. Zadorov, Joshua and Lindholm are gone for sure. Highly likely we are trading Concrete Garden Gnome too. These guys are supporting cast guys. They are interchangeable parts. 

You want to walk away from 4 of our top 10 players this playoffs? Wild

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No. Zadorov, Joshua and Lindholm are gone for sure. Highly likely we are trading Concrete Garden Gnome too. These guys are supporting cast guys. They are interchangeable parts. 

Supporting cast interchangeable parts.......right. 

The three you mentioned were some of the best Canucks throughout both rounds, by a country mile. They were essential players in the playoffs. You think if Zadorov is willing to meet in the middle, Alvin would say no to the most productive defenseman he had in the playoffs? 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

You want to walk away from 4 of our top 10 players this playoffs? Wild

JR/PA know what it takes to win the Cup. They know we need a healthy Demko, Petey, and Hughes. The other guys can play lights out, but without those three healthy we won’t win. Those other players are all interchangeable parts. Accept that as fact and you won’t suffer such feelings of loss as they are let go. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Supporting cast interchangeable parts.......right. 

The three you mentioned were some of the best Canucks throughout both rounds, by a country mile. They were essential players in the playoffs. You think if Zadorov is willing to meet in the middle, Alvin would say no to the most productive defenseman he had in the playoffs? 

And what exactly did we win? The key guys to winning the Cup are Demko, Petey, and Hughes. We need the healthy to win. Those other guys are interchangeable. They can play great, and they did, but we aren’t winning without the key three being healthy. It’s just how it is. It’s reality. 

Just now, Alflives said:

And what exactly did we win?

What did I say about winning? And how does that affect signing players that you need in the playoffs.

Just now, Alflives said:

The key guys to winning the Cup are Demko, Petey, and Hughes. We need the healthy to win. Those other guys are interchangeable. They can play great, and they did, but we aren’t winning without the key three being healthy. It’s just how it is. It’s reality. 

If you think that only 3 players are key to winning a Cup, your grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Newsflash: It takes an entire team playing together like the Canucks did at moments throughout the series. By the way, Miller is as important as those three when it comes to winning a Cup, as he was present and ready to go from puck drop against Nashville. Something that Pettersson wasn't able to muster until the second round. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What did I say about winning? And how does that affect signing players that you need in the playoffs.

If you think that only 3 players are key to winning a Cup, your grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Newsflash: It takes an entire team playing together like the Canucks did at moments throughout the series. By the way, Miller is as important as those three when it comes to winning a Cup, as he was present and ready to go from puck drop against Nashville. Something that Pettersson wasn't able to muster until the second round. 

You’re not totally wrong. Yes, it takes a full team to win the Cup. But that Cup winner has key guys they must have healthy to win. Does Vegas win without Eichel and Petrangelo? Does Tampa win without Hedman and Vasileski? It’s very rare a club wins the Cup without a couple key guys in playing healthy. That’s just how it is. Guys like Zadorov, Lindholm, Garland are interchangeable parts. There are other guys like them. Demko, Hughes, Petey are the rare ones. Clearly JR/PA identified Miller (over Fat Wallet) as a key guy too. 
You don’t need to like this reality. It’s just what it is. Fact. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re not totally wrong. Yes, it takes a full team to win the Cup. But that Cup winner has key guys they must have healthy to win. Does Vegas win without Eichel and Petrangelo? Does Tampa win without Hedman and Vasileski? It’s very rare a club wins the Cup without a couple key guys in playing healthy. That’s just how it is. Guys like Zadorov, Lindholm, Garland are interchangeable parts. There are other guys like them. Demko, Hughes, Petey are the rare ones. Clearly JR/PA identified Miller (over Fat Wallet) as a key guy too. 
You don’t need to like this reality. It’s just what it is. Fact. 

Not at all. You happen to be but that's okay.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not at all. You happen to be but that's okay.  

This^

You can't just interchange these players. Top line right chot C and a hulking D who can skate and score you don't just pick those off the shelf. Dakota lead the the playoffs in hits and but up 8 points 4x4 in 13 games which is exactly the pay day he should get 4x4. And Garland I won't get into with you because you're on Melmac with you're assessment of him. He was effective all playoffs for us. 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly did we win? The key guys to winning the Cup are Demko, Petey, and Hughes. We need the healthy to win. Those other guys are interchangeable. They can play great, and they did, but we aren’t winning without the key three being healthy. It’s just how it is. It’s reality. 

Miller? Dude I have no idea how you keep doubling down when all the evidence says you're wrong. Zad Dak Lind comprised half of our top 6 scorers. 

And scoring isn't even the main staple of their game. 

Edited by Hammertime

Just now, Hammertime said:

Miller? Dude I have no idea how you keep doubling down when all the evidence says you're wrong. Zad Dak Lind comprised half of our top 6 scorers. 

And with those guys playing at their best did we win the Cup? JR/PA know we have to have Demko, Petey and Hughes healthy to win the Cup. That’s how it is. It’s the reality of Cup winners. 

Posted (edited)

Personally, I would be surprised (somewhat) if Big Zeke and Lindy are not back with the Canucks next year unless that asking price is so far out to lunch that PA / JR just can't make the numbers work. In that case they would look at replacing Zeke with someone like Dillon.

I would be less surprised if Garland is traded, perhaps packaging up with Mik and a mid-level pick or prospect to (i) clear cap space and (ii) bring in a bulky winger to play with Petey. Would be sad to see Garland go as he really grew on me this year with his work ethic and effort pretty much every game. 

Anyway, in management we trust - they have done a smashing job so far.

Speaking of Dillon, if management went to his agent before July 1 with, "hey is your client interested in playing for the Canucks", that would be tampering I would assume. But what if Dillon rang up PA today of his own volition and said, "you guys interested in me"  ... just curious.

Edited by Rocket-68

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I fully admit that I can't be bothered to run Cap numbers, but I had always assumed that we couldn't afford to keep everyone....I figured Lindy would be gone for sure, but if the players involved would go for those numbers, I'd be down with it.

That being said, I have to rain on the parade, just a bit. I doubt that Myers will take that big of a cut. We might see a scenario where the team lets him walk and re-sign Cole instead. His erratic play against the Oilers notwithstanding, he had a pretty solid year and I think he can be re-upped for a team friendly number. Juuls will fill the other spot.

I also think the team will want to re-sign Blueger. This is based on nothing but a couple of rumors that I read while the season and playoffs were underway, so take that FWIW.

To summarize: I think the team prioritizes Zadorov and Joshua. They'll give Lindholm their best shot, but likely have a number/term that they won't exceed, so it's ultimately up to the player.

I think they'll make an offer to Myers, but again, that will be up to him. I feel like he can get more on the open market than the Canucks will be willing to spend.

Also, I don't see Mikheyev on your roster. Are you thinking buyout?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Dude Toffoli aint it. Stop. That doesn't make us better. it's the wrong perspective. That made sense then and bygones are what they are. The reality is Lindholm being a right shot and a talented one is a great 2c option. I say don't look a pony in the mouth. That Pete Miller Garland line was fire in game 7 and we know the lotto line works. If come deadline we have to re vamp our 3rd line thats a good place to be. Those moves are in our wheel house. 

While I hear you right now in this moment what we needed was an elite or at least decent winger for Pete. I don't necessarily agree that that issue needs to be addressed in that specific way. Using Pete as a 3C is infective and Lindholm is a really good 2C.  When the time comes we just buy one Blueger circa 2023. 

I think Pete at C is a luxury in addition to Pete being an elite scoring winger. 

okay toffoli, duclair, anyone in that mold of being a relatively one dimensional scoring winger who can snipe. 

and btw i disagree that toffoli is over the hill. Hes 32, and once again scored more than 30 goals as he has consistently done. but fine, dont want toffoli, there are other options. 

im willing to bet this management group goes for 3 great lines, not 2. especially if dallas knocks off edmonton, they have 3 top-6 centers. 

Edited by HarbularyBattery

Problem is…I think Canucks are really dead set in making Petey a #1C on his own line and not a winger on Miller line.  They want 2 high powered scoring line.

I don't disagree about adding a scoring winger, but I feel like this team is good enough to make the playoffs as a fairly high seed without adding one in the offseason.

I think the team could look at adding a rental at the TDL, much like the Jets did with TT this year....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't understand that mentality either. 

Don't mind him, he hasn't had a well thought out post in decades. Too much of the glugg-glugg...