End of season Media? Anybody hear anything.

DANJR

I'm used to hearing them say when they are going to the media groups for the end of season availability.  I haven't heard anything yet.

Anybody know anything about this yet, tentative dates?  I love to hear the injury details and other tidbits.

Can someone tell me what the schedule looks like for signing new contracts and having trade discussions.  Does management have to wait until the playoffs are over before they can start negotiations and/or trade talks? Can they do this right up until opening the new season? And what is the final trade deadline time? Thanks.

24 minutes ago, KFAN said:

Can someone tell me what the schedule looks like for signing new contracts and having trade discussions.  Does management have to wait until the playoffs are over before they can start negotiations and/or trade talks? Can they do this right up until opening the new season? And what is the final trade deadline time? Thanks.

Contract discussions and trades can be held at any time, really. There is nothing that prohibits clubs from building their rosters, and no time limit. And the trade deadline, which is usually about five or six weeks before the end of the season, isn't really a total deadline. Teams can still make trades after the deadline, BUT any player acquired in trade is not eligible to play in the regular season or playoffs. Here's a description of trade deadline rules and such:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/trade-deadline-rules/

The main purpose of the deadline is to fix the playoff-eligible rosters. So once Friday at 3 pm arrives, no player can be added to the NHL roster with one exception: Players on a team's reserve list can be signed to a contract and brought on board like Matt Knies was. Players in junior hockey already under contract like Fraser Minten could be added whenever their seasons end.

Some random Russian whose KHL season has ended can't be brought on board after Friday. Someone on the reserve list can. 

Do Trades Actually Stop?

That's the funny part. No, they don't. Teams seem to be aggressive enough now that they will make post deadline deals or deals during the playoffs – which used to be frowned upon for taking attention away from the big show. It's usually rebuilding teams out of the playoffs, but one thing to remember is that the players traded (after the deadline) cannot play in the regular season or the playoffs.

If you want to see what Vancouver's reserve list looks like, go here:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/reserve-list/canucks

11 hours ago, DANJR said:

I'm used to hearing them say when they are going to the media groups for the end of season availability.  I haven't heard anything yet.

Anybody know anything about this yet, tentative dates?  I love to hear the injury details and other tidbits.

11am tomorrow I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1