Congrats Coach Tocchet!!! - Jack Adams Winner 2023/24

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rick Tocchet joins Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault as the only Vancouver Canucks coaches to ever win the Jack Adams award.

Both Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup finals after they won the award.  Will Rick Tocchet follow in their footsteps?

For some this award is a curse but lets hope it continues to be a positive for the Canucks. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rick Tocchet joins Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault as the only Vancouver Canucks coaches to ever win the Jack Adams award.

Both Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup finals after they won the award.  Will Rick Tocchet follow in their footsteps?

That's exactly what I thought . AV went to the cup final 4 years after award. Hope it will be a shorter time for RT .

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)

Well deserved.  I wasn't thrilled they fired Bruce but you knew things had to change.  Didn't know much about Tocchet, and wasn't expecting much.  The remainder of the first season wasn't memorable and not much was expected.  

It then became clear that in the off season and then training camp, he got everyone to buy in.  Remember the preseason record wasn't great either.   But the NHL guys came out ready to go.  That loss in Flyers where he called them out "Who do we we think we are?" was a brutally honest criticism that got the team going.  

Earn your day.  Got them to be even keeled, not too high or low.   Team was so consistent, with rare losing streaks. 

Have your staples and pillars. 

Meet pressure with pressure. 

Dakota, Joshua, Hoggy all improved throughout the season.  Myers too.  He got the right coaching staff (Foote, Gonchar, Yeo) to work with.  

He's humble enough to form partnership with players.  Doesn't humiliate players like Torts. He's a good communicator with the players and media.  

Took the team within a game of WCF on first run, without the Vezina nominee starting goalie.  The team system he preached all year was to get ready for the playoffs and they worked.  

Only criticism is the PP, which I think can be fixed.  Perhaps they will add PP coach. 

Prior Jack Adams winner for Canucks:

Pat Quinn 1991-92

Alain Vigneault 2006-7

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

this was locked up in december. 

the real award is the fact that with this coaching staff, this core, this turnaround, and this playoff atmosphere, every free agent in the league will have vancouver on their list. 

The vote was made later.  

Torts was in front runner group, then the way he benched his captain at the end and collapse missing the playoffs, lost the votes.  He was at the bottom of the votes in the final tally.  

So well deserved... Tocchet turned this team into winners and and the future looks great....

He has been a great addition. Huge thanks to JR and PA for bringing him in. He was exactly, what our core was needing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Just needs to learn to go for forecheck and things in the first period of seventh game. Don’t wait for a miracle comeback 

Cant believe you think coach dictating on and off play,and what period they should come up alive.As i said earlier to you,find other more simple sport to follow and comment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He also represented the face of the franchise well.   Spoke to the media politely and shared his insights.  I think the media liked him too.   Never slammed the refs, or got fined.  No drama. 

He was a revelation on the bench, and did fabulously. I think inside, he probably started to see the faces of some of the snakes, when it comes to Canucks. 
But yes fronted the coaching staff very well in the media, and they would have loved him for that. 
And so did I... no drama or none stop moaning. Suck it up and carry on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Congratulations to Tocchet.

I am on record as being critical of aspects of his coaching, but overall, he does deserve this award.

Let's hope he learns from this season and these playoffs and the team comes back even better next year.  👍

• Like 1

Another thing that occurs to me about Canucks management; Aquilini deserves some credit. Rutherford, Allvin, Tocchet and all that high end management and  coaching staff don't come cheap. Aqua stepped up. No question he's banking on success and huge returns, but he's a smart business man that was willing to take a risk. And for him, it's not all about the money. He loves his team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I imagine Tocchet will be heavily involved in deciding which players to keep/target before July 1.

Need more Tocchet players. Guys like Lafferty and Mikheyev ain’t it. 

Im surprised how pedestrian Lafferty ended up being.  Thought for sure we’d see him being a cruise missile more often.  Ah well.  The search continues 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Im surprised how pedestrian Lafferty ended up being.  Thought for sure we’d see him being a cruise missile more often.  Ah well.  The search continues 

Leafs stench was still hanging around. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2