Congrats Coach Tocchet!!! - Jack Adams Winner 2023/24

2 hours ago, KFAN said:

In 33 years, with 30 (avg) teams in the league, we have 3 Jack Adams winners. Pretty impressive. The previous 2 took us to the Stanley Cup final. I think Tocchet, along with JT & PA will do the same. 

BTW, I go back a little further with my appreciation of Tocc, back to when he told the players he wanted them in game shape when the season started,  and they started the season so strong. I  get the impression the players truly respect him, and they should!!!

And you know Rutherford wasn't going to come practically out of retirement for nothing. He wants another cup before he's done, and I really think he's gonna make sure that happens. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rick Tocchet joins Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault as the only Vancouver Canucks coaches to ever win the Jack Adams award.

Both Pat Quinn and Alain Vigneault led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup finals after they won the award.  Will Rick Tocchet follow in their footsteps?

Fist thing I though about as well... big shoes to fill, but I'm sure, he has it in him to do so... especially with JR/PA singing from the same hymn sheet... its just like in total harmony... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Cant believe you think coach dictating on and off play,and what period they should come up alive.As i said earlier to you,find other more simple sport to follow and comment.

Amen brother Lemon. Some think they can give pointers to the coach that just won the Jack Adams. You can’t make this shit up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Just needs to learn to go for forecheck and things in the first period of seventh game. Don’t wait for a miracle comeback 

Dat you George Costanza?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Congratulations to Tocchet.

I am on record as being critical of aspects of his coaching, but overall, he does deserve this award.

Let's hope he learns from this season and these playoffs and the team comes back even better next year.  👍

Lets hope he learns...? 

He was just voted the best coach in the NHL by a land slide... I think he is doing just fine, but that's just me of course 🙂

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

The vote was made later.  

Torts was in front runner group, then the way he benched his captain at the end and collapse missing the playoffs, lost the votes.  He was at the bottom of the votes in the final tally.  

I don't understand your point. tocc had this wrapped up in december. that's how much better he was than every other coach. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't understand your point. tocc had this wrapped up in december. that's how much better he was than every other coach. 

My point was that it isn't wrapped in Dec. Things could have tanked in the second half.  Looking back it's even more impressive after the team stopped scoring at that pace, esp post All Star, and they kept winning. 

For me, at the start, it was a little hard to separate Rick Tochett the player, with who he might be as a coach.    As a player, there was never a team in the league, who wouldn't love, do practically anything really, to have a chance to get him on their team.  

Was sold, after our record playing 4 or 5 AHL D's down the stretch, you could see a difference in how the team played.   And 100% won over when he challenged the players to spend the summer working out, and well as calling them out for not being in proper shape.   Calling our team out of shape, that was obvious watching some of the strength/endurance drills,  JT Miller and Schenn miles ahead of Horvat and the rest of the team.  Not really how these things should go, at least be close to each other and not stopping for air etc .   They took it seriously, and for the first time in forever, stormed out of the gate.   

For was it half the season, we made it to, before blowing a 3rd period lead (even a one goal lead)?    Wow.   Certainly wasn't the case the year before.     Our "tough stretch" was win a game lose a game win a game etc.   Lost some wind down the stretch and Demko too.    If we didn't, easily would have won the Presidents trophy, and Tochett would have won the award in even more lopsided fashion.   EDM fans were crying they they didn't have Tochett for awhile...That was fun too. 

Tochett is honest and easy to listen too.   And has changed the culture of this team.    I'm pretty sure, this will be a memorable season, and one day Tochett might be joining Neilson outside the rink.     

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Congrats coach.... it was nice knowing you...

isn't it history that the winner of the Jack Adams trophy gets fired within a year?

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

For me, at the start, it was a little hard to separate Rick Tochett the player, with who he might be as a coach.    As a player, there was never a team in the league, who wouldn't love, do practically anything really, to have a chance to get him on their team.  

Was sold, after our record playing 4 or 5 AHL D's down the stretch, you could see a difference in how the team played.   And 100% won over when he challenged the players to spend the summer working out, and well as calling them out for not being in proper shape.   Calling our team out of shape, that was obvious watching some of the strength/endurance drills,  JT Miller and Schenn miles ahead of Horvat and the rest of the team.  Not really how these things should go, at least be close to each other and not stopping for air etc .   They took it seriously, and for the first time in forever, stormed out of the gate.   

For was it half the season, we made it to, before blowing a 3rd period lead (even a one goal lead)?    Wow.   Certainly wasn't the case the year before.     Our "tough stretch" was win a game lose a game win a game etc.   Lost some wind down the stretch and Demko too.    If we didn't, easily would have won the Presidents trophy, and Tochett would have won the award in even more lopsided fashion.   EDM fans were crying they they didn't have Tochett for awhile...That was fun too. 

Tochett is honest and easy to listen too.   And has changed the culture of this team.    I'm pretty sure, this will be a memorable season, and one day Tochett might be joining Neilson outside the rink.     

Hopefully hoisting more than a $10 towel on a stick... 🙂

• Sad 1
  • Wiener 1

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

Congrats coach.... it was nice knowing you...

isn't it history that the winner of the Jack Adams trophy gets fired within a year?

Don't know for sure, but for Canucks, they reach SCF 2-4 yrs later (Quinn and AV). 

9 hours ago, Pears said:

And you know Rutherford wasn't going to come practically out of retirement for nothing. He wants another cup before he's done, and I really think he's gonna make sure that happens. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Great management. Great coach. Great core. Great things coming for the next 5-7 seasons. 

Bingo… I can’t wait to see what his team is gonna look like this coming season I’m sure they’re going to tweak the roster it’s only gonna get better

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Missing playoffs last year + 1 full year of Tocchet hockey + Canucks division Champs = 2023/2024 Jack Adams Award.... Congratulations RT!

Another full year of 2024/2025 Tocchet hockey  - rinse and repeat 

Yes indeed.    A great job and congrats!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Bingo… I can’t wait to see what his team is gonna look like this coming season I’m sure they’re going to tweak the roster it’s only gonna get better

Most of the hockey pundits expect 7-8 player changes, as it is impossible to keep everyone due to cap + a number of passengers simply need to go or be put out to pasture!

Coaches find success based on how they adapt to the players they're given. Sure, systems and structure are the main point in it all, but you have to get players to buy in and listen.

You have so many different personalities and tapping into strengths and addressing weaknesses is part of it.

I think he does a great job of communicating and there's a fine line between venting and ripping on a team and addressing issues more constructively. Sure, sometimes you need the hard ass approach but to motivate people generally you have to get their ear first. Make them actually hear and believe what you're saying.

Loved Bruce and he was what the team needed at a time when they were full of doubt and in the dumps. Desperate for any glimmer of success. He was their cheerleader. But that only went so far and Tocchet was the perfect coach to move in. He gave them tools to work with.

I do think he has to let Petey off the leash a bit because he's a player who goes on instinct and has had great success with that. When he overthinks things I don't know that it benefits anyone.

That's my two cents.

Congrats to our coach....super happy he's here and I just really like how he presents himself overall. I think he's a decent person and truly cares about his players. He seems to come at them from a peer perspective more so than "I'm the coach/boss and you must do what I say". He seems very relatable to them and speaks from experience.

• Cheers 1