Congrats Coach Tocchet!!! - Jack Adams Winner 2023/24

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

He also represented the face of the franchise well.   Spoke to the media politely and shared his insights.  I think the media liked him too.   Never slammed the refs, or got fined.  No drama. 

I agree. Beyond his coaching chops, this was Tocchet's greatest contribution to Canucks hockey. He was the perfect representative for the organization and seemed to really take pride in that role.

Good on ya, coach. Enjoy some well-deserved time off this summer and we'll see you in the fall!

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We were getting f*cked by the refs then too.🤣

Totally I actually watched that game in the 83 playoff run vs Chicago… it was absolutely brutal how horribly ref’d  that game was…

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Now if Coach Tocchet can just get Petey going he will be a shoe in to win the Jack Adams trophy next year…

i believe…

(On second thought trade him for Adam Lowry and a couple first rounders)

Vancouver Canucks Reaction GIF by NHL

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

Way to go Rick! So well deserved.

On Tocc's Watch a couple of highlights I noticed.

A Norris Trophy winner (or at least should be)

A Vezina Trophy Finalist 

JT Miller, JT Miller, JT Miller  (Petey was already really good)

A 40 Goal scorer, + Turned DJ into a power forward + Conner Garland & Hoglander 20+ goal scorers.

And too many other's to name not the least of which is building a great staff, and building a great team.

Thanks Rick!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

A Vezina Trophy Finalist 

A 40 Goal scorer, + Turned DJ into a power forward + Conner Garland & Hoglander 20+ goal scorers.

And too many other's to name not the least of which is building a great staff, and building a great team.

Thanks Rick!

Bravo... nailed it...

Well Done Applause GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Like 1

For a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs by close to all analysts,and being in first place in the NHL for a big period of time makes this so worth it.

Maybe now we will get more respect which we deserve.

Just listened to his exit interview. And the topic of shot volume came up. I get the idea that you want to take away the goalie's eyes and even get some deflections. But at the same time we made the Oilers look like a defensive juggernaut cause we never just throw a puck on net and try for a rebound. When you're flirting with an all time low shot total, there's a problem. The Oilers get more credit for defence than they deserve. We wait too damn long on every single shot. Just put some pucks on net and chase a rebound. It's borderline hockey fundamentals.

He did mention that next training camp they'll look at being more open in offensive creativity. Which I think was also lacking pretty heavily. Lets hope he's not just saying the right thing and does evolve the game. The systems they brought in was great for defensive play, I won't downplay it. But we flatly can't be averaging 18-20 shots in the playoffs. We had 1 game with 30 or more shots. Just 1.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

One of the best coached seasons I've ever seen, also with the assistants. This honor for Tocchet is most definitely a collaboration of staff behind the bench and locker room. 

Just an incredible turnaround on so many levels, including systems, culture, mindset, and preparation.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

A Vezina Trophy Finalist 

Thanks Rick!

You forgot:  Lady Byng - Alflives.🕵️‍♀️

Posted (edited)

Congratulations to RT for the award - you can tell he really puts his heart + energy into the coaching process - points out areas of improvement as well as commending areas of success.

We came oh so close to the top 4 again  (just like in 2020)  - hopefully there will be some adjustments to the roster to allow them more flexibility next year in terms of playing style.   Its too bad we may also lose several FA's this year like most teams - thought they were a pretty close group - was just browsing through this years FA list and there are quite a few that could be of interest if we lose any of our players . - hopefully at a reasonable cost.

Finally driving around town with all the sunshine today, realized it really was a great season overall - if anything, with the success they had in the regular season, made us forget all about our grey winters - coupled with the success in the playoffs - we now land here just before summer weather arrives with all the other upcoming activities (Euro Soccer / Summer Olympics ).  A big thank you to the team!

I hope all the players enjoy a well deserved summer break - look for areas of improvement and see if we can finish this unfinished process in the next few years.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

On 5/22/2024 at 9:10 PM, Rip The Mesh said:

I like. This guy gets it. It's about the Crest,about the Team,about the Fans. Not about individuals. I hope this rubs off on some of the players wanting new contracts here. Sure get paid well,but leave a little on the table. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
On 5/23/2024 at 1:54 AM, spook007 said:

Lets hope he learns...? 

He was just voted the best coach in the NHL by a land slide... I think he is doing just fine, but that's just me of course 🙂

Did the Canucks win the Cup>>>>>>?

5 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

How many pucks did he shoot?...

If the rest of his NHL peers thinks heis the best coach in the NHL I think he is doing just fine...

If the players can't manage it is necessarily on the coach... 

Players not playing to their potential eaa a massive reason, we didn't beat Oilers... Petey saying, he was playing injured, was maybe a mistake not shutting him down, but other than that, what else could he have done? 

Mika and Hogs being ghosts obviously didn't help... 

If that line played to their ability, Oilers would have been toast and we would have been playing Dallas. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Umm.   Were we supposed to win a cup with this roster?    Are you a professional coach.    What really bugs me sometimes, is that fans think they'd do a better job with line combo's and systems than pro coaches.     We overachieved by a long shot, that's why Tochett won by a landslide.    Doesn't mean we shouldn't question some of it, but if the results are there (which they surely were, my god did we have a lot of career years from players this year - too many for it not to be the Rick Tochett effect) why be salty? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

How many pucks did he shoot?...

If the rest of his NHL peers thinks heis the best coach in the NHL I think he is doing just fine...

If the players can't manage it is necessarily on the coach... 

Players not playing to their potential eaa a massive reason, we didn't beat Oilers... Petey saying, he was playing injured, was maybe a mistake not shutting him down, but other than that, what else could he have done? 

Mika and Hogs being ghosts obviously didn't help... 

If that line played to their ability, Oilers would have been toast and we would have been playing Dallas. 

Not to even get into the conversation that the "experts" had us 4-6 in the pre-season.   Not in the conference, in our own division, and all these votes are done and sealed before the playoffs start.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 3:35 PM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Totally I actually watched that game in the 83 playoff run vs Chicago… it was absolutely brutal how horribly ref’d  that game was…

83? What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Haha 1