★[GDT] End of Season Media Day • May 23, 2024

Jaimito

35 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

did he mention the arena chanting his name ???

Great point. He did not. Sounded like a whiny baby complaining about how he got into trouble with the teacher. No appreciation at all for the support he has received

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 2

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

knee injury makes SO much sense for petey

explains the falling

explains difficulty taking hard shots (shifting his weight)

explains lack of explosive speed (looking like he doesnt care)

damn. at some point though they should have just come out and said he was playing through something. i really dont know what was gained by pretending he was healthy, and letting media/fans just keep abusing him. 

Playoffs baby. If he would have admitted any sort of knee instability it would have been targeted. They may have misstepped the rehab, but not admitting to it was the right move. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Strange take by Hronek.

He could say yes to a new deal

he could say no to a new deal

he could say trade me as I won't re-sign

seems he has lots, of  say in what happens

I can't remember, did we already give him an offer 

Just now, hockeyville88 said:

Great point. He did not. Sounded like a whiny baby complaining about how he got into trouble with the teacher. No appreciation at all for the support he has received

I haven't heard the interviews in full yet. Did miller specifically mention the fans chanting his name? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Playoffs baby. If he would have admitted any sort of knee instability it would have been targeted. They may have misstepped the rehab, but not admitting to it was the right move. 

i guess..

still, i think some hindsight would be good, they could have shut him down in march and let him heal up. come into april healthier and say whatever was ailing him is now done. idk. still feels like he took a lot of unnecessary abuse. 

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

depending on the severity of the issue at the time, yes it does make sense. If it's something happened in mid or late Jan, and wasn't particularly bad, why wouldn't he want to go with all his teammates?

Considering he included in his statement that all he needs is rest.. that is a week of rest at the ASG. Could've taken an additional week or two off as well. 

Poorly handled yet another injury on this team

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He's answer seems he really like to stay.  Hope they can work out a good deal for both sides. 

Would you sign him to a 6x6? I'd love him to stay, can we really give him what he wants, which is term. Then you gotta prioritize who do you want more, Zadorov, Lindholm or Joshua. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Seems fishy, why wouldnt they just rest him down the stretch of the regular season if that was the case. Seems like either an excuse or Canucks terrible medical team at it again. If it just needed rest why didnt they do it?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Petey must be one heck of a poker player.
I figured, collarbone, shoulder, ribs, back issue. I wouldn't have guessed knee issue.

Remember when many thought he fell to the ice pretty easily, or can't do those dekey pete moves, knee issue now makes sense

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I can't remember, did we already give him an offer 

Not that I recall.

Other than what is mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

Edited by Gurn

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Still find it odd playing with a knee injury in a meaningless game (last regular season game).  If it's causing pain (which is the body's way of telling you something is wrong), what was the point?  He should've been forced to sit out that game (healthy scratch) & just call it a 'maintenance day' (pretty normal) so as not to draw attention to possible injury.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Petey lacks strength and isn't that good at faceoffs. Why are they forcing him to become a C in the NHL? Is it because they're going to give him $11.6 and they really need a #2C?  Not a good enough reason IMO.

Lindholm is far superior to Petey in the dot and can play a heavier game, but yet, Lindholm will be likely leaving the team (probably sign with BOS).

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Would you sign him to a 6x6? I'd love him to stay, can we really give him what he wants, which is term. Then you gotta prioritize who do you want more, Zadorov, Lindholm or Joshua. 

keep lindhom and zadorov, replace joshua

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

keep lindhom and zadorov, replace joshua

Sadly teams like Utah have tons of cap space. If it's reasonable sign him. I don't want to lose him, but don't want the team to overpay him too much either.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Remember when many thought he fell to the ice pretty easily, or can't do those dekey pete moves, knee issue now makes sense

to be fair though a knee injury can imply ligament damage which is more of a pain threshold thing which would definitely affect his ability to skate hard.

if his knee was structurally unsound (instability) he’d likely not have been in the line up.

the falling over thing is likely just part of his physical maturation / dealing with bigger humans in the NHL

10 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I don't care what a player makes.  It's up to the management and owner. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sadly teams like Utah have tons of cap space. If it's reasonable sign him. I don't want to lose him, but don't want the team to overpay him too much either.

5m for zadorov isnt overpayment i think- worst case scenario its a 0.5m overpayment. he wants term, and hes young enough for us to give it to him. we'll prob get bad value at the end of his contract, but thatll be our rebuilding years, as itll be the tail end of JTs contract too.

Management needs to sit down with Petey and have a blunt conversation about if he really wants to be in a noisy market like Vancouver. Feels like he was pressured into signing his deal. Knee injury aside I worry about him living up to his deal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

5m for zadorov isnt overpayment i think- worst case scenario its a 0.5m overpayment. he wants term, and hes young enough for us to give it to him. we'll prob get bad value at the end of his contract, but thatll be our rebuilding years, as itll be the tail end of JTs contract too.

I was talking about Joshua. Sorry should have been clearer.

• Like 1