What's missing from this team that's going to keep them from being contenders? Too soft?

Personally I feel like we are a soft team and a couple of things are missing from this team. They are a power forward with some toughness and grit. I would love to get Anderson from Montreal or an Anthony Mantha. The other is a big defenseman with offense who who can strike fear and contribute on both ends. Of course they are two of the hardest positions to fill but I think until we can add those two pieces we aren't going to be contenders. I could see a McDonough or Bains fill that role. As well as a Pettersson on defense who is playing Sweden but until they arrive we are short those positions. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to What's missing from this team that's going to keep them from being contenders? Too soft?

Another top 4 D and a 2C are pretty major gaps imo. Yes, Miller can play 2C. But I think we'd be better served with him on the wing and having a true 2C there. A pretty abysmal prospect pool after Lekkerimaki (another winger), Willander, and Silovs doesn't help either. Because those players on ELCs help build team depth.

59 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Honestly a top 3 pp and a top 10 pk solve a lot of last years issues.  

The new players on the pk and playing the pp to the IQ of a very smart group of players on pp1 are going to help a lot.  

Can't wait to see the new pp that's full of movement and not so predictable. 

26 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Another top 4 D and a 2C are pretty major gaps imo. Yes, Miller can play 2C. But I think we'd be better served with him on the wing and having a true 2C there. A pretty abysmal prospect pool after Lekkerimaki (another winger), Willander, and Silovs doesn't help either. Because those players on ELCs help build team depth.

I wouldn't call the guys below abysmal. They're not projected to be stars, but they could turn out to be high-level depth and role players.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Can't wait to see the new pp that's full of movement and not so predictable. 

I wouldn't call the guys below abysmal. They're not projected to be stars, but they could turn out to be high-level depth and role players.

Every prospect pool in the league "can turn out to be high level depth or role players." Everyone has the potential to be good, but the odds aren't the same for everyone. There's a reason most every reputable media person ranks our prospect pool so low. I am not saying nobody outside those 3 have good potential either. But the fact we have a shallow pool is the problem. Not necessarily the people in our prospect pool. For a team that routinely finishes in the bottom 5-10 of the league. We have had surprisingly few picks over the last 5-10 years. That's largely why our prospect pool is what I consider abysmal.

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Personally I feel like we are a soft team and a couple of things are missing from this team. They are a power forward with some toughness and grit. I would love to get Anderson from Montreal or an Anthony Mantha. The other is a big defenseman with offense who who can strike fear and contribute on both ends. Of course they are two of the hardest positions to fill but I think until we can add those two pieces we aren't going to be contenders. I could see a McDonough or Bains fill that role. As well as a Pettersson on defense who is playing Sweden but until they arrive we are short those positions. 

This team is in dire need of another Top 4 defenseman........and I'd even go as far as saying Top 2.  We need to get to a point where

1) Soucy plays in a more ideal #4 spot

2) Cole becomes the "alpha" of the 3rd pairing.

By the sounds of things, Alvin feels the same way as he's rumoured to be in on both Devon Toews and Nikita Zadorov.  

Toews in particular would be a massive win for us and would be exactly what this team needs in terms of what this management group is trying to achieve (i.e. taking a significant step forward this year so that Petey wants to stay long term).  

Toews-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-[Woo, McWard, Wolanin, Hirose]

And then somewhere down the road....

Toews-Hronek

Hughes-Willander

Soucy-[Woo, McWard, Wolanin, Hirose]

Don't get me wrong - getting Devon Toews here is extremely unlikely but if Alvin could ever pull that shit off, we'd definitely take that leap.  

Myers, Podkolzin, 2024 1st would likely be starting points, but again, given what this management group wants to achieve, it would likely align with their goals.

Having a true 1b defenceman is the biggest thing for me, someone with size and snarl, but who also can pick a pass and move the puck to at least an above average degree.  I don't buy the whole - let Quinn / Hronek move the puck and pair them with two lumps. That's not the way shift to shift hockey works. If half your top pair can't get the puck out the zone with any kinda consistency your gonna really struggle ( see the bubble playoffs ). I think we will see that this year with the way the D is built.  

I think that with the core being in consistent form gets us to be competitive and a above average chance of playoff hockey everyear.  Hopefully Willander can be that guy - but not for likely 3 years. 

Forward wise : 
Beyond that we need more size, specially along the wings. If this team can play to or above its potential i still see it being undone by a heavier team in the post season.  Raty could be a nice add here, but i don't see too much else that project above 3rd line ceiling in the pipe that's gonna provide any help. 

Be interesting to see how the 3rd line shapes up this year, but it would also be really good to have at least one line that is elite defensively. Petey is trending to be that C - but if his paired with Kuz then that's still a weak link in their own zone.   

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Having a true 1b defenceman is the biggest thing for me, someone with size and snarl, but who also can pick a pass and move the puck to at least an above average degree.  I don't buy the whole - let Quinn / Hronek move the puck and pair them with two lumps. That's not the way shift to shift hockey works. If half your top pair can't get the puck out the zone with any kinda consistency your gonna really struggle ( see the bubble playoffs ). I think we will see that this year with the way the D is built.  

I think that with the core being in consistent form gets us to be competitive and a above average chance of playoff hockey everyear.  Hopefully Willander can be that guy - but not for likely 3 years. 

Forward wise : 
Beyond that we need more size, specially along the wings. If this team can play to or above its potential i still see it being undone by a heavier team in the post season.  Raty could be a nice add here, but i don't see too much else that project above 3rd line ceiling in the pipe that's gonna provide any help. 

Be interesting to see how the 3rd line shapes up this year, but it would also be really good to have at least one line that is elite defensively. Petey is trending to be that C - but if his paired with Kuz then that's still a weak link in their own zone.   

Would Pesce fit that mold?

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Every prospect pool in the league "can turn out to be high level depth or role players." Everyone has the potential to be good, but the odds aren't the same for everyone. There's a reason most every reputable media person ranks our prospect pool so low. I am not saying nobody outside those 3 have good potential either. But the fact we have a shallow pool is the problem. Not necessarily the people in our prospect pool. For a team that routinely finishes in the bottom 5-10 of the league. We have had surprisingly few picks over the last 5-10 years. That's largely why our prospect pool is what I consider abysmal.

Management has done a lot to get prospects outside of the draft, so they've replenished it with little resources. Having Abby close by with a strong development staff, and Collington is a great coach, our pool is looking like it'll have multiple guys hit and become regular NHLers. I could see 90% of the guys I listed being panning out and becoming mainstays in a few years (if everything goes well).

Too soft and lacks size and depth.

The D needs upgrades with size, truculence and skill.

It's been this way for over a decade. 

I've been wishing for an experienced executive like JR to take over for many years. So I'm happy with the management and I'm hopeful JR amd Alvin will build a good team. It'll take a couple of years but it'll come. 

Edited by WHL rocks

I went to game around 2011 or so and had ice level seats. Ryan Kesler never shut up the whole game. He was either chirping the other team or talking aggressive to his own teammates. When he'd line up for a faceoff he'd circle two or three times staring at his own teammates. 

He was boss.  That's the type of leader we need here. Not the meek,  lead by example off the ice type. 

Going back to Travis greens end days I saw a mentally weak, broken team. 

The focus has been on the positional needs of the team etc, but imo this team needs a couple of bonifide pricks.  

Do we even have one?

Jt Miller has a fit on ice because he's pissed or yells at his goalie and everyone gets all over the guy?  

We need more passion and then you will see alot of other things fall into place. We don't just need talent we need the will to win. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Too soft and lacks size and depth.

The D needs upgrades with size, truculence and skill.

It's been this way for over a decade. 

I've been wishing for an experienced executive like JR to take over for many years. So I'm happy with the management and I'm hopeful JR amd Alvin will build a good team. It'll take a couple of years but it'll come. 

I just wonder why it still hasn't been addressed in drafting or in trades. They are allergic to truculance. They so far have only gone after the skill part of it.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

On 9/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

Maybe you'd be a little happier with the direction from a year ago.   We went from 30th, to 21.   Part of that, is the Horvat trade adding Raty.