Patrik Alvin Nominated for Jim Gregory Award

I know that Tocch won and that Quinn will but PA is the most deserving person on this team for any awards or accolades. Incredible what he could do when few other GMs could do anything. 

• Like 2

Maybe JR should be the one nominated as he is likely the one really running the show! 

No matter - whoever is responsible, did a great job for the most part getting the franchise pointed in the right direction.  Good to see the team doing well after 13 years.

We had so many trades during the season at one point and yet kept winning.

Again we were supposed to miss the playoffs and we're in first for a good portion of the season.That reflects on both the coach and GM.

Getting Zad for pennies and then the biggest fish Lindholm he should win.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

For all the grief I have given Jim Benning, I have to admit he *NEVER* had the benefit of getting help from an old war dog like Rutherford.  That kind of advisory help cannot be underestimated (without trying to underate what Patrik Alvin has done).  I mean, John "Freaking" Weisbrod?🤣

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

On 5/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, DrJockitch said:

I know that Tocch won and that Quinn will but PA is the most deserving person on this team for any awards or accolades. Incredible what he could do when few other GMs could do anything. 

Just hope he can keep it up and didn't blow his load.   Would like to see some more signings before declaring him a demi-god.   Garland,   Brock and Miller are JB's guys, sure Brock was signed by Allvin too.   That's coaching not signings.  Brock was re-signed and he did well.   Coaching. 

Would like to see what he does next because Kuzmenko and Mikheyev were sure duds.     I'm not as convinced yet.  

His drafting.  It's going to start playing a role soon.    Also believe any Canadian market, but especially Vancouver, MTL and TO but all the rest too, are in a market that JR misjudged (said exactly that$),  they've made some adjustments.    

Not sure this is sustainable at all.   And not sure we are seeing the MG to Nonis and Burke either.

To me it's mostly Tochett.   Allvin did a good job this year.   And is deserving, think it will be a lot closer in the voting then the Adams. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just hope he can keep it up and didn't blow his load.   Would like to see some more signings before declaring him a demi-god.   Garland,   Brock and Miller are JB's guys, sure Brock was signed by Allvin too.   That's coaching not signings.  Brock was re-signed and he did well.   Coaching. 

Would like to see what he does next because Kuzmenko and Mikheyev were sure duds.     I'm not as convinced yet.  

His drafting.  It's going to start playing a role soon.    Also believe any Canadian market, but especially Vancouver, MTL and TO but all the rest too, are in a market that JR misjudged (said exactly that$),  they've made some adjustments.    

Not sure this is sustainable at all.   And not sure we are seeing the MG to Nonis and Burke either.

To me it's mostly Tochett.   Allvin did a good job this year.   And is deserving, think it will be a lot closer in the voting then the Adams. 

Getting in Tocchet was definitely key to a lot of good here... He change the style, and got good players to play amazingly... Brock in particular (although lots probably has to do with he personal life)... Joshua, Garland, Myers, Juulsen... Hogs... etc...

I think the two thing goes a bit hand in hand... Few coaches would win the Jack Adams without being given the tools, and few GMs win Jim Gregory without an outstanding coach... 

• Upvote 1

Made some great off-season acquisitions then obviously the Zadorov and Lindholm deals grew with time. Biggest thing for me was bringing Soucy and Cole in along with Blueger and Suter. Depth defensive centers and big strong defencemen. As soon as he did this I thought we've got a good mould in place, we just need to keep building around it. No need to lose focus and get flashy this off-season trying to get fancy wingers for more scoring - we've got to stick with what worked well for us. I know our scoring dried up but so did our defending.

Allvin changed this team and built it nicely around big, physical defence and two way forwards and that's the recipe for success going forward.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Getting in Tocchet was definitely key to a lot of good here... He change the style, and got good players to play amazingly... Brock in particular (although lots probably has to do with he personal life)... Joshua, Garland, Myers, Juulsen... Hogs... etc...

I think the two thing goes a bit hand in hand... Few coaches would win the Jack Adams without being given the tools, and few GMs win Jim Gregory without an outstanding coach... 

You bet.  Soucy was the best UFA available last season for our team and cap space, it started there, with  Bluegar, Cole, and Suter.   A huge difference to the JB overpay days.   Zadorov was a great add.   OEL buyout to make this possible.    And addition by subtraction, pretty sure as soon as Tochett came in, Allvin was ready to buy him out.    There is more alignment in the organization then we've seen since Nonis was here and not a "yes man" for Aquaman.   So possibly since the Griffiths were the owners.    JR isn't anyone's yes man.   

Then he was the most active GM in a very tough market all season.  

It's a great time to be a fan.   Allvin has his work cut out for him this summer.   The "blowing his load" comment might seem a bit harsh, because he did hold back when it came to the TDL.   To truly finish the work he started,  the key guys he brought in need deals or replacement/upgrades.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Made some great off-season acquisitions then obviously the Zadorov and Lindholm deals grew with time. Biggest thing for me was bringing Soucy and Cole in along with Blueger and Suter. Depth defensive centers and big strong defencemen. As soon as he did this I thought we've got a good mould in place, we just need to keep building around it. No need to lose focus and get flashy this off-season trying to get fancy wingers for more scoring - we've got to stick with what worked well for us. I know our scoring dried up but so did our defending.

Allvin changed this team and built it nicely around big, physical defence and two way forwards and that's the recipe for success going forward.

Agreed.   What we need is one more Joshua in the lineup, and a skilled forward with size for EP to work with as a pair.    Lindholm is well suited for that role, until Lekkermaki is ready.    Bertuzzi would suffice but not sure he's going to be worth the price either.    

Zadorov is a must add.    Hronek's deal isn't a priority.   

Could see a lot of action this summer.   Miller, Demko, QHs, EP and Brock are this teams core.    That's obvious now.   Brock is no longer a support player.   There is room for 2 other guys.    Lindholm, could be one.   The other could be Hronek.    

The cards will fall where they fall.   The team could decide to do something drastic like trade Hronek, trade Garland, trade Mikheyev.    That's around 14 plus Hroneks raise in cap.   Then sign Geuntzal, sign Joshua and we've got our 1A or 1B sorted as in two legit lines.    

Most likely though, they will fill out the roster in similar fashion, with one upgrade at the forward group and lose one on the defense, a Cole.   

Juulsen, Brisbois, D-Petey will be competing for the final spot.  

See Myers signing for 3 x 3.    That's one more year then he's likely going to get on the open market.   

Tanev is possible,  that said Dallas has already indicated they want him back.   And no state taxes plus the best team in the league is quite the swan song, not sure he's as sentimental as we are.  

That said we'd have a bit of an upper hand with him given new management, and you know Tochett and Foote would love to add him. 

Hronek gets done during the season.   Doubt he signs a bridge or wants to either.    Arbitration is a distinct possibility.    Going to need to accept that. 

On 5/23/2024 at 2:33 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Maybe JR should be the one nominated as he is likely the one really running the show! 

No matter - whoever is responsible, did a great job for the most part getting the franchise pointed in the right direction.  Good to see the team doing well after 13 years.

JR, Allvin, Tochett and staff.   Isn't it amazing to finally have full alignment?  Ownership hiring JR, was a statement that their meddling days have come to an end.    Thank god they finally figured that out. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 5/23/2024 at 7:06 PM, cripplereh said:

We had so many trades during the season at one point and yet kept winning.

Again we were supposed to miss the playoffs and we're in first for a good portion of the season.That reflects on both the coach and GM.

Getting Zad for pennies and then the biggest fish Lindholm he should win.

Those things on their own would garner a little bit of consideration.   What really puts him as the front runner, was how he managed to fill out the roster with very effective support players, little to no term.   Something we haven't had in a very long time.    And aside from QHs and Myers, completely changed our D-core in just over one season.    Amazing work.   Did exactly what we needed.    Went from small and easy to play against, to super sized.    Then add the fact he was the busiest GM in the most cap starved market in league history.    

Allvin should win. 

IF he can follow it up with a similar season, the Canucks will be contenders for the duration of QHs contract.    Tall order.    Trading Mikheyev, buying him out or banking on him doing what he was signed to do.    He's the pivotal transaction that could allow us to do just that. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet.  Soucy was the best UFA available last season for our team and cap space, it started there, with  Bluegar, Cole, and Suter.   A huge difference to the JB overpay days.   Zadorov was a great add.   OEL buyout to make this possible.    And addition by subtraction, pretty sure as soon as Tochett came in, Allvin was ready to buy him out.    There is more alignment in the organization then we've seen since Nonis was here and not a "yes man" for Aquaman.   So possibly since the Griffiths were the owners.    JR isn't anyone's yes man.   

Then he was the most active GM in a very tough market all season.  

It's a great time to be a fan.   Allvin has his work cut out for him this summer.   The "blowing his load" comment might seem a bit harsh, because he did hold back when it came to the TDL.   To truly finish the work he started,  the key guys he brought in need deals or replacement/upgrades.   

Spot on... I expect them to be really busy again this summer... Its really cool to have a trigger happy GM... makes the offseason far more interesting... 

Onwards and upwards 🙂

The Canucks are obviously not in an ideas situation. I mean for 10 years after we should have had a proper rebuild, we've been just patching up the team as we go. Re-tooling every season.  This has resulted in having to drain our farm, give up top picks and prospects. Add new cap buyout penalties. And instead of properly developing our own picks, we gave them up on GM's hunches about trading them for underused or underestimated players on other teams with expiring contracts, so we could try and barely squeeze into the playoffs each season.

I was envious of Jeff Gorton's letter to Ranger fans in 2017.  A letter that JB should have written at least a couple of seasons before that to Vancouver fans.  Not only did he not do that then or in 2017, but never did. It was the perpetual retool.  And after years and years at the bottom its inevitable that least some good fortune will come. Boeser, Demko, Hughes and Petey and Miller. But good though those players are, its not enough. And after years of sacrificing your futures for the next season, without more developed young players feeding the system, the team, there is only one way to not waste those good players. It was too late for a rebuild when JR took over. It was 'might as well go for it now' mode.  And keep on the retool train. 

So we are still in a perpetual retooling system, where support players come in and come out every season. The big difference is management. And the faith in what the new group can do operating in that tight perimeter, that the old one couldn't. We are still not in a great cap situation, but the difference is that Benning whiffed on most of his moves, while Allvin and JR have hit homeruns with most of theirs. And it's the only way to survive running a team on the edge like we have been for 10 years. Continually shedding pricey players for well-scouted cheaper replacements. Or temps to stand in.  

Benning's irrational obsession with getting OEL here no matter what, was one of his biggest mistakes.  And I'd say that one of the few mistakes JR and Allvin has made was buying out OEL too soon.  Especially if Hronek doesn't end up staying here anyways.  Dylan Guenther sure looked good in the World's this month. A young scoring winger on an ELC.....just what we need, anyways water under the bridge. That extra cap penalty in the next few years is a big weight to a team that is in a perpetual retool like we are destined to be in for probably Hughes and Petey's window years.  But like I said, I trust this management to pull a few more rabbits out of the hat.

• Cheers 1

Allvin absolutely deserves this award. This season he was the busiest, proactive GM in the league. Especially in getting us into the playoffs. He turned around this team in a remarkably short amount of time and should be honored/acknowledged for such a great job!

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The Canucks are obviously not in an ideas situation. I mean for 10 years after we should have had a proper rebuild, we've been just patching up the team as we go. Re-tooling every season.  This has resulted in having to drain our farm, give up top picks and prospects. Add new cap buyout penalties. And instead of properly developing our own picks, we gave them up on GM's hunches about trading them for underused or underestimated players on other teams with expiring contracts, so we could try and barely squeeze into the playoffs each season.

I was envious of Jeff Gorton's letter to Ranger fans in 2017.  A letter that JB should have written at least a couple of seasons before that to Vancouver fans.  Not only did he not do that then or in 2017, but never did. It was the perpetual retool.  And after years and years at the bottom its inevitable that least some good fortune will come. Boeser, Demko, Hughes and Petey and Miller. But good though those players are, its not enough. And after years of sacrificing your futures for the next season, without more developed young players feeding the system, the team, there is only one way to not waste those good players. It was too late for a rebuild when JR took over. It was 'might as well go for it now' mode.  And keep on the retool train. 

So we are still in a perpetual retooling system, where support players come in and come out every season. The big difference is management. And the faith in what the new group can do operating in that tight perimeter, that the old one couldn't. We are still not in a great cap situation, but the difference is that Benning whiffed on most of his moves, while Allvin and JR have hit homeruns with most of theirs. And it's the only way to survive running a team on the edge like we have been for 10 years. Continually shedding pricey players for well-scouted cheaper replacements. Or temps to stand in.  

Benning's irrational obsession with getting OEL here no matter what, was one of his biggest mistakes.  And I'd say that one of the few mistakes JR and Allvin has made was buying out OEL too soon.  Especially if Hronek doesn't end up staying here anyways.  Dylan Guenther sure looked good in the World's this month. A young scoring winger on an ELC.....just what we need, anyways water under the bridge. That extra cap penalty in the next few years is a big weight to a team that is in a perpetual retool like we are destined to be in for probably Hughes and Petey's window years.  But like I said, I trust this management to pull a few more rabbits out of the hat.

Yes we needed a rebuild to start around 2013ish but to be fair to JB, Aquilinis did NOT want a rebuild...

Gilles wanted a rebuild and got canned... so JB goy hired to do a retool.... He made lots of mistakes, but not doing a rebuild was unlikely one of them...

If he had stated we needed to do a rebuild, he would likely have gotten canned too... (which in hindsight might not have been a bad decision).

Lottery luck (or lack off) as well as our usual end of season morale victories, was a dagger in the heart, and we are now at the it is, what it is stage... 

Luckily for us, PA and his scouting team has been very good, and he has not been afraid to pull the trigger... not all has been gold, but he has on average done very good with his trades and shifting of players.... time will tell, if it is possible for him to continue moving players around...

We do have players of interest to other teams, so who knows, what he does next...  regardless its likely to be box office

• Cheers 1

Yes he should definitely win this award. He has done a tremendous amount for us in the short time he has been here. It is going to be an interesting off season. Really looking forward to how it all pans out.