[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"Image is everything"?

Look, we've had players who've given the canned nicey nice responses. May as well stick cardboard cutouts up there.

He wore his heart on his sleeve...disappointment's obviously set in. 

I love players who don't care what the masses think....they're there to play hockey, first and foremost. You want a spokesman? Talk to the captain and leave me the f alone because the wound is raw and wide open. 

Yes, end of year media is part of it. But don't try to tell players how they should respond...they're individuals. Human beings. Some hide their disappointment and can move through it quickly, others may carry it for awhile. Asking them why they sucked (in prettier words) probably isn't going to incite the nicest reaction.

Small point: I didn't view H's response to the injury q as wearing his heart on his sleeve. It felt more evasive & disengaged to me. 

Clarification point: I'm not claiming, nor does anything I've said imply, that H was required to divulge anything he doesn't want to divulge. Nor am I committed to to the view that "Image is everything."

Larger point: I'm just claiming that:

1. there was nothing inappropriate about the injury question, and

2. it's understandable why H's response rubbed many the wong way, and

3. both Jpat & H had a part to play in how things unfolded.

You had a different reaction to H's response to the injury q, and that's fine. I maintain that your reaction is also understandable. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Small point: I didn't view H's response to the injury q as wearing his heart on his sleeve. It felt more evasive & disengaged to me. 

Clarification point: I'm not claiming, nor does anything I've said imply, that H was required to divulge anything he doesn't want to divulge. Nor am I committed to to the view that "Image is everything."

Larger point: I'm just claiming that:

1. there was nothing inappropriate about the injury question, and

2. it's understandable why H's response rubbed many the wong way, and

3. both Jpat & H had a part to play in how things unfolded.

You had a different reaction to H's response to the injury q, and that's fine. I maintain that your reaction is also understandable. 

Wearing his heart on his sleeve wasn't just about verbal exchange. His body language told the story and it was clear, pretty quickly, he was in shutdown mode. That's him wearing his heart on his sleeve by not pretending. He didn't have answers or was in the headspace to break it all down. 

The larger points are your opinion and I don't really share 1 & 2. No, the injury question wasn't an issue but how he framed things was. "Like...we gave you your space" was likely not the best way to get him to open up.

His response was a nothingburger to me. A guy who's pissed off after being eliminated and really doesn't seem to enjoy interviews is what I saw.

37 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Ultimately, in my view, such reactions are a matter of aesthetic preference;...his responses will shape his overall public perception moving fwd. 

13 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Clarification point: Nor am I committed to to the view that "Image is everything."

These two things don't line up. Being worried about aesthetics and overall public perception = "image".

34 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

There are some in here who clearly share your reaction to H's answer, others who don't. Ultimately, in my view, such reactions are a matter of aesthetic preference; and both are perfectly rational. However, it's a further q how his responses will shape his overall public perception moving fwd. My sense is that he didn't do himself any favours on that front (assuming he remains in Vancouver), but only time will tell I suppose...

That's fine. I understand where you're coming from on your side. I've been saying for quite some time on here that we're never going to win with a team full of nice guys and that you need guys like Hronek (and his personality) to fulfill certain needs and round out the dimensions that the nice guys can't or are incapable of because of their personalities.

It takes all kinds on a team. I don't need him to be nice. We'll see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

I can say in all honestly....I don't feel the digging for info on an injury was to provide an answer anyhow. I feel it was more to prove that he didn't have an excuse for his drop off in production. 

Sometimes players struggle and they have peaks and valleys during their career That's the answer right there.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's fine. I understand where you're coming from on your side. I've been saying for quite some time on here that we're never going to win with a team full of nice guys and that you need guys like Hronek (and his personality) to fulfill certain needs and round out the dimensions that the nice guys can't or are incapable of because of their personalities.

It takes all kinds on a team. I don't need him to be nice. We'll see how this plays out. 

"Nice guys finish last"

We've had nice guys for a long time and it's great and all. But we've never had respect from the outside and it's time we quit trying to get it by being pc and friendly. F everyone who's not with us...they're against us.

Sure, it's important to maintain a respectable image but that doesn't mean you have to bow down to people. I feel you earn more respect by not doing so.

He could've just whined like an Oiler. Would that have been better?

• Like 3

Just now, Canucks164cup said:

Zadorov is like the Tyramkin everyone wanted and overall better, plus he likes speaking his mind and taking shots at Calgary and the NHL, lock this guy up.

Funny I had that same thought awhile ago. While people were still pining for Tyramkin we picked up this beauty. Patience paid off.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

"Nice guys finish last"

We've had nice guys for a long time and it's great and all. But we've never had respect from the outside and it's time we quit trying to get it by being pc and friendly. F everyone.

And we're never going to get it until we stop being nice. Even Linden, the nicest guy, has said a team needs these types of guys. 

• Cheers 1

Paterson was pushing for a soundbite and got pissy when he didn't get it. I don't really see anything wrong with Hronek's response. Could he have been more gracious? Sure. But I probably would've answered the same way after repeating myself a bunch of times. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The local media really got exposed in the availability.

From Hronek shutting up Splaterson to Zadorov mocking whomever the reporter was who talked about his contract and proving himself out, to Demko telling Lindholm to state salary and years, it became quite evident that the team sees the media for the abject clowns most of them are. 

I'm betting they're all pretty unhappy with the Petey treatment over the last 2-3 months. 

That said, the media also does them a lot of favours by hyping them up and increasing their value,  like DJ and Zad...........so, I'd say players need the media as well 

Ultimately, the media just reflects the fan base and if the media is toxic, it's because a certain portion of the fan base is toxic

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

And, in all seriousness....

Hronek started off the interview smiling and wasn't just surly. Clearly, English isn't his first language and that can make things more difficult. What seems curt is just responding with basics and simplicity.

"Why...if I know the answer I'd probably do something different, right?"  That's the answer right there yet he's pushing for more. Wants the injury scoop but there wasn't one.

Hronek's clearly frustrated. This elimination hurt and they're still processing it all. So he isn't opening up...maybe he's not got the answers himself yet. J Pat is entitled to ask questions but also needs to "read the room" when a guy does seem a bit uncomfortable and maybe not go at him so defensively. You get more flies with honey than vinegar. Don't poke the bear....timing's off for that.

Hronek knew enough English to call out a player on another team and tell him “enjoy your holidays”.  

Dan Murphy also called bulllshit on Hronek saying he wasn’t injured. Also, you are telling me that when your play goes to absolute shit during the middle of the season you can’t find a way to at least describe it in basic English?  Petey was able to talk about his strugggles without being hostile to the media. 

Hronek is a dick who wants $8 million to shotgun off of Hughes. He can’t even carry his own pairing. I’d trade his ass tomorrow. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1
  • Wiener 1

22 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Funny I had that same thought awhile ago. While people were still pining for Tyramkin we picked up this beauty. Patience paid off.

Imagine Tryamkin and Zadorov on the back end. That woulda been something to see. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

These two things don't line up. Being worried about aesthetics and overall public perception = "image".

You've pieced together two phrases making two different points, but left out important context, including the sentence where I explicitly distinguish the two points being made.

In the first part, I was referring to our reactions to H. I was claiming that reactions to his media response be rooted in differing aesthetic perceptions of things. I was elaborating on my earlier denial that there are any deep moral issues at stake here. 

In the second part, I was referring to a "further question" (my exact words, conveniently left out) of how H's response might shape his public perception moving fwd, a question T. Drance also raised in a recent tweet of his.  I do not answer that q, not do I ever say that public perception is all that matters.

In short, I fail to see how raising this further q is in tension with my denial that there are any moral issues at stake in our differing reactions to H's response.

Please, let's take more care in how we're interpreting each other. I think I've been fairly charitable in my responses to you, and I'm asking for the same in return. Deal?

Edited by syntheticity

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm betting they're all pretty unhappy with the Petey treatment over the last 2-3 months.

maybe

That said, the media also does them a lot of favours by hyping them up and increasing their value,  like DJ and Zad...........so, I'd say players need the media as well

That’s negligible. The only real metric that increases or decreases a player’s value is their play. The number of online articles written about them may draw attention to the player, but I highly doubt it factors into negotiations. 

Ultimately, the media just reflects the fan base and if the media is toxic, it's because a certain portion of the fan base is toxic

That’s a cop out. The media has their own angle based on their need to make as much as they can off of writing about the team. They may court controversies to garner clicks and traffic. Fans follow the team because they like the team and cheer for them. The majority of the media is toxic because they choose to be. Fans who’re toxic are that way because of their individual choice to be that way. 

The relationship between fan and team is a symbiotic one. The relationship between fan/team and media is a parasitic one. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

You've pieced together two phrases making two different points, but left out important context, including the sentence where I explicitly distinguish the two points being made.

In the first part, I was referring to our reactions to H. I was claiming that our reactions to H amay be rooted in our differing aesthetic perceptions of things. I was elaborating on my earlier denial that there are any deep moral issues at stake here. 

In the second part, I was referring to a "further question" (my exact words, conveniently left out) of how H's response might shape his public perception moving fwd, a question T. Drance also raised in a recent tweet of his.  I do not answer that q, not do I ever say that public perception is all that matters.

In short, I fail to see how raising this further q is in tension with my denial that there are any moral issues at stake in our differential reactions to H's response.

Please, let's take more care in how we're interpreting each other. I think I've been fairly charitable in my responses to you, and I'm asking for the same in return.

sigmund freud portrait GIF

It's interesting to see those triggered by Hronek's response and that he didn't act how they wanted him to act so therefore they're mad. 

Had he acted the opposite, gave them what they wanted, those same people would have torn him to shreds anyway. He just disrupted convention and made them feel uncomfortable. Good on him! We actually need more of that. 

We haven't won anything by following and adhering to convention. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

The larger points are your opinion and I don't really share 1 & 2. No, the injury question wasn't an issue but how he framed things was. "Like...we gave you your space" was likely not the best way to get him to open up.

His response was a nothingburger to me. A guy who's pissed off after being eliminated and really doesn't seem to enjoy interviews is what I saw.

I'll point you to my previous response here. More care is needed in how we're interpreting each other.  Of course, my points are my opinion, what else would they be? As I understand things,  we both agree that the injury q was fine. We both thought Jpat's followup was problematic. We just had different reactions to H's response to the injury reaction. You liked his response, I didn't particularly care for it, but we both agree that nothing of deep moral importance is at stake. Let's move on?

Edited by syntheticity

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek knew enough English to call out a player on another team and tell him “enjoy your holidays”.  

Dan Murphy also called bulllshit on Hronek saying he wasn’t injured. Also, you are telling me that when your play goes to absolute shit during the middle of the season you can’t find a way to at least describe it in basic English?  Petey was able to talk about his strugggles without being hostile to the media. 

Hronek is a dick who wants $8 million to shotgun off of Hughes. He can’t even carry his own pairing. I’d trade his ass tomorrow. 

Okay now look from the other side of the fence.

Hronek could be the kind of guy who has too much pride to make an excuse. Pissed off that everyone wants to know what is wrong with him and feels an injury is no reason to let the team down. Especially when everyone is hurting at this point in the playoffs.

As for Pettersson, he is so fucking mentally beaten down and broken he needed to get something off his chest and help alleviate some of the stress. His confidence was long gone.

You can say Hronek rode Hughes coattails all season long, yet his production has been nearly the same throughout his career. His IQ and chemistry are what opened the doors for Hughes and allowed him to reach his potential. Hughes benefited from Hronek just as much. I wouldnt be so quick to let him go as a #2 RHS in his very prime and is an excellent skater who enables Hughes.

43 minutes ago, Canucks164cup said:

Zadorov is like the Tyramkin everyone wanted and overall better, plus he likes speaking his mind and taking shots at Calgary and the NHL, lock this guy up.

Correction: Tryamkin wishes he was Zadorov. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1