[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Also have to give Hronek credit ... he's not blending in, falling in line, being invisible, and vanilla.

We need more of that. 

Sorry i dont have stomach to watch Hronek been paid as ,or more then Miller.He has attitude and no substance. We all call Boushard tool,but guy use perfectly what he has.Hronek,nah.Few goals from him could change many thing this post season.Whatever.

• Vintage 1

I thought the Canuck presser, to close their season, was incredibly honest. I really heard no, what I would call. excuses.

Great bunch of guys, hope most are back in September. 

When I heard some of the ailments players were dealing with, they did well. Without those ailments, the Oilers would have been gone in five or six.

That's hockey sometimes. There's most certainly a degree of luck involved after a strenuous regular season.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Ultimately, the media just reflects the fan base and if the media is toxic, it's because a certain portion of the fan base is toxic

That's absolute BS.

They're not professional if they're spinning things by echoing the masses. Good media reporters have their own ideas and thoughts. They have info we don't so should be using that as their reference...not the "toxic" fans (like the ones who thought JT was a monster). A great example of how they blew it and then had to eat their (toxic) words. Those really aren't credible journalists in my view. They're lazy regurgitaters.

There definitely are those who just go for the clickbait....trying more for their own personal numbers than responsible "journalism".

I tend to follow some that aren't going with the flow and can go against the grain, especially when it comes to supporting the team. We take enough crap from outside our market, this market needs to get behind the team a bit more and quit looking for drama. Not join the parade of idiots who THINK they know about this team (but don't).

I find Imac quite refreshing lately...speaks out a lot on behalf of the team rather than trying to be edgy and slam them. 

Some treat their role as a popularity contest and those are the ones who are likely swayed by the masses. 

Also, labelling some fans as toxic because they don't share your opinion is...toxic.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

One angle I haven’t seen really discussed is that we could see Hronek traded before any extension or QO is made. 

I’ve already stated previously that I love the pride he clearly takes in his game and how pissed off he was to be in the position he now finds himself.

And the ways the fans are responding just highlights what JT noted about his passionate approach and how it’s generally more tolerated when winning. Our guys were doing exit interviews - the furthest thing from winning and fresh off the game 7 loss. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The grass isn’t always greener too.

So we trade Hronek and then we’re right back where we were searching for a RHD, one that might not even be as good.

That'd better than getting locked into a long deal at a ridiculous aav for a guy who's probably worth $6m

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

24 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Sorry i dont have stomach to watch Hronek been paid as ,or more then Miller.He has attitude and no substance. We all call Boushard tool,but guy use perfectly what he has.Hronek,nah.Few goals from him could change many thing this post season.Whatever.

I don't like the price he generates but he was pretty good for us at times:

444155325_10160926232745549_645625202780

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The grass isn’t always greener too.

So we trade Hronek and then we’re right back where we were searching for a RHD, one that might not even be as good.

Exactly this. On some weird psychological level, that's exactly what some want. It's like the endless rebuild with no end. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm not sure what all the reactions are for...so if there's one for "I agree", lemme know, otherwise you are all getting 'miller time' as a default.

My rugby league team won...so that's good

oilers won....so um not so good.

Ok, sorry.  Resume normal transmission.  🙂

Go Nucks Go!

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. On some weird psychological level, that's exactly what some want. It's like the endless rebuild with no end. 

Yep, we finally have a #2 d-man, who plays great alongside our #1 and people can't wait to get rid of him. He also fits perfectly with our cores age being 26 years old. How long did we want a good RHD to play with Hughes? We've got one now, and you try your best to keep him.

Hronek isn't going to get $8m a year, and he knows that. He's more worth $7-$7.5m a year and I bet that's where his contract comes in at.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting to see those triggered by Hronek's response and that he didn't act how they wanted him to act so therefore they're mad. 

Had he acted the opposite, gave them what they wanted, those same people would have torn him to shreds anyway. He just disrupted convention and made them feel uncomfortable. Good on him! We actually need more of that. 

We haven't won anything by following and adhering to convention. 

I don't think we disagree on much, not nearly as much as it might initially seem. I'll just point out that:

1. You could equally say that those defending H and putting all the blame on JPat are triggered / mad. I can't speak for others, but I'm not too bothered by the difference in perception. For the same reason I'm not bothered by the fact that some people have a different taste in vegetables than I do. 

2. Also agree on having pushback on the team. I'm more concerned with pushback on the ice. But if we're talking about pushback off the ice, e.g. to the media, I think Z's pushback was more effective than H's pushback was. Both have a bad boy edge but one's response to a difficult q led to laughter, the other led to an uncomfortable confrontation. As others have noted, even H seems to have acknowledged that his response wasn't ideal and switched his tact in response to other qs.  

But again, nothing of deep moral significance is stake here. I like peas, you like corn, so let's just agree to order different sides when dining out. 🙃

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

I don't think we disagree on much, not nearly as much as it might initially seem. I'll just point out that:

1. You could equally say that those defending H and putting all the blame on JPat are triggered / mad. I can't speak for others, but I'm not too bothered by the difference in perception. For the same reason I'm not bothered by the fact that some people have a different taste in vegetables than I do. 

2. Also agree on having pushback on the team. I'm more concerned with pushback on the ice. But if we're talking about pushback off the ice, e.g. to the media, I think Z's pushback was more effective than H's pushback was. Both have a bad boy edge but one's response to a difficult q led to laughter, the other led to an uncomfortable confrontation. As others have noted, even H seems to have acknowledged that his response wasn't ideal and switched his tact in response to other qs.  

But again, nothing of deep moral significance is stake here. I like peas, you like corn, so let's just agree to order different sides when dining out. 🙃

A post this rational and non-confrontational has no home here!!  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yep, we finally have a #2 d-man, who plays great alongside our #1 and people can't wait to get rid of him. He also fits perfectly with our cores age being 26 years old. How long did we want a good RHD to play with Hughes? We've got one now, and you try your best to keep him.

Hronek isn't going to get $8m a year, and he knows that. He's more worth $7-$7.5m a year and I bet that's where his contract comes in at.

Is Hronek really a #2 Dman?  I would argue he is a #3. And Allvin even agreed with this and said he wanted him on the second pairing away from Hughes. 

So even Allvin is goi g to turn around and look for a new partner for Hughes. If that is the case I’d rather trade Hronek and then wait one more year for Tom Willander to take his place on the second pairing alongside Big Z. 

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Couldn't have said it any better. Exactly. You don't get a guy like that to only destroy your success and start from scratch. He just needs to be reasonable and not a massive overpayment. This management won't do that. 

For some, if this team always sucks, that means they'll always be right. Winning disrupts that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is Hronek really a #2 Dman?  I would argue he is a #3. And Allvin even agreed with this and said he wanted him on the second pairing away from Hughes. 

So even Allvin is goi g to turn around and look for a new partner for Hughes. If that is the case I’d rather trade Hronek and then wait one more year for Tom Willander to take his place on the second pairing alongside Big Z. 

Yes Hronek is definitely a #2 damn. He played like it all year long, and it wasn't just because of Hughes. Having Hughes as a partner helps for sure, but I also believe Hughes having Hronek on his other side allowed Hughes to do what he did this year.

We aren't going to get someone at Hroneks level to play beside Hughes, if we get rid of Hronek.

Allvin might like to have Hronek on a different pairing, but that would be to spread out our #1 and #2 dmen which then allows you to have your talent on the ice more often. He's not wanting to do that because he doesn't think they work together.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

I'm not bothered in the least that people have different opinions. At all. 

1. I'm not blaming JPat. I said his questions were legit. That's not an issue for me. I just don't agree with you.

2. As I said, Zad did well this season and didn't struggle. His pushback was playful. If he re-signs, let's revisit this when he struggles and the media is on him about his play. I'm willing to bet he won't be so nice and playful and be more confrontational. Everyone struggles at points, so we'll see and put that to the test. Hronek has pushback both on and off the ice. We need more of both. 

But yeah ... agree to disagree. I appreciate the civility. 

5 hours ago, syntheticity said:

Let's set aside outside perceptions of JPat for a moment and focus on the content and point of the questions being asked at a media availability day like this. 

Hronek knew the question about his injury status was coming. It's a standard question that was asked of other players by other reporters. Hronek also knew the intent of that particular question and the point of being available at media day. His one word answer was not only false by all accounts (see the recent tweet.by Dan Murphy, etc.), but he was not really answering the underlying q at all. The whole point of players being there was for them to talk about what happened on the ice and be accountable. If he wanted to avoid blaming injuries for his performance, then there were lots of ways doing that (see Cole, Hughes, etc.) that don't sound like an awkward teen forced to talk about their sex life at a family dinner. 

JPat may well be a prick, but the problem in this case didn't start with the question, and I'm not sure why some are giving H a free pass here...

The 'we gave you space all year'... indicated that they should have ripped him apart... No wonder he got hostile to this question...

He actually started the interview ok, I thought...

He looked and spoke like a person very disappointed with the outcome... I also think, he feels under pressure for not producing better in the second half of the season, but again as he said, if he knew, why he didn't produce better, he would have fixed it...

And the J Pat up'd the stakes, and Nronek got angry and defensive...

At least that is how it looked to me from the cheap seats...

I think the journalists/ reporters struggle to balance the fine line between getting players to talk and hanging a noose around the players necks... 

Its piss poor as the journalists needs feedback from the players, and I'll be surprised if anyone within the organisation will have been impressed with that kind of statement/question..

Furthermore, we or the reporters are NOT entitled to be told anything...

The players are being polite towards the fans, and sometimes they tell of injuries sustained and sometimes they keep it to themselves... 

Anyway , long story short, if the journalists wants something from the players, they should treat them with respect.

I know its wishful thinking, cause in the modern world of sports reporting, its more about, who can be the biggest arse or come with the wildest stories... 

Its in the press every day, speculation and 'insider' information... 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If anything an injury explaining bad play for Hronek would be a boon to his negotiating because the alternative is he was simply not nearly as good for half a season or playing above his paygrade for half a season.

I'm not so sure about that. Say the injury is a shoulder affecting his shot, or affects how physical he can check. If the doctors think it may be a chronic injury I think it could affect term or dollar amounts. I think some one who is trying to get max dollars could try to hide a injury.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I don't like the price he generates but he was pretty good for us at times:

444155325_10160926232745549_645625202780

Deb.At times is not good enough for money he wants.He is extraordinary for 6.5-7.Plus i dont understand why he is not using is strongest part of his game.Shooting.People understand me wrong.I dont hate on him,he is fine player.Just dont want to be Maple Leafs grave yard.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek was obviously lying. All the players admitted they were injured but none of them used it as an excuse. Specifically Ian Cole. 

Hronek came across as a dick IMO. He’s probably like that in the dressing room too. I mean have we ever heard anyone say anything nice about Hronek?  Any players stick up for him?  

Also, if he’s wanting $8 million to ride shotgun with Hughes then he can go fuck himself. I’d rather bring in Tanev for half the price and trade Hronek for a top 6 forward. Willander will be anchoring the second pair anyways from 2025 onward. Willander is the next Charlie McAvoy. So we don’t realty need Hronek. Not at $8 million anyways. 

Hronek didn't use injury as an excuse...

Agree, he shouldn't be paid $8M...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

And, in all seriousness....

Hronek started off the interview smiling and wasn't just surly. Clearly, English isn't his first language and that can make things more difficult. What seems curt is just responding with basics and simplicity.

"Why...if I know the answer I'd probably do something different, right?"  That's the answer right there yet he's pushing for more. Wants the injury scoop but there wasn't one.

Hronek's clearly frustrated. This elimination hurt and they're still processing it all. So he isn't opening up...maybe he's not got the answers himself yet. J Pat is entitled to ask questions but also needs to "read the room" when a guy does seem a bit uncomfortable and maybe not go at him so defensively. You get more flies with honey than vinegar. Don't poke the bear....timing's off for that.

There it is... exactly how I saw it as well...