[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hronek didn't use injury as an excuse...

Agree, he shouldn't be paid $8M...

Hi is hiding injury because of new deal negotiation.One slap shot in 3 month.Cmon

• Cheers 2

Just now, Lemon Face said:

Hi is hiding injury because of new deal negotiation.One slap shot in 3 month.Cmon

I am sure that is the case... But if I was looking for a new deal, I might not be so forth coming neither... 

He was more moody than the rest, but was pushed by J Pat, and he was having none of it...

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I am sure that is the case... But if I was looking for a new deal, I might not be so forth coming neither... 

He was more moody than the rest, but was pushed by J Pat, and he was having none of it...

I dont complain about his attitude towards media.His rights  come with territory.I just dont agree giving him that kind of money because we dont have nothing better at this moment.Tanev would be better option for our Hughes.So what that tell you about Hronek.How good he is

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The 'we gave you space all year'... indicated that they should have ripped him apart... No wonder he got hostile to this question...

He actually started the interview ok, I thought...

He looked and spoke like a person very disappointed with the outcome... I also think, he feels under pressure for not producing better in the second half of the season, but again as he said, if he knew, why he didn't produce better, he would have fixed it...

And the J Pat up'd the stakes, and Nronek got angry and defensive...

At least that is how it looked to me from the cheap seats...

I think the journalists/ reporters struggle to balance the fine line between getting players to talk and hanging a noose around the players necks... 

Its piss poor as the journalists needs feedback from the players, and I'll be surprised if anyone within the organisation will have been impressed with that kind of statement/question..

Furthermore, we or the reporters are NOT entitled to be told anything...

The players are being polite towards the fans, and sometimes they tell of injuries sustained and sometimes they keep it to themselves... 

Anyway , long story short, if the journalists wants something from the players, they should treat them with respect.

I know its wishful thinking, cause in the modern world of sports reporting, its more about, who can be the biggest arse or come with the wildest stories... 

Its in the press every day, speculation and 'insider' information... 

As I've said in other posts, I agree with your assessment with Jpat's followup question. I was talking about H's response to the simple injury q. As others have pointed out, even H seems to have acknowledged that his response to that q was not ideal and he changed his tact and was more forthcoming in his answers to other qs.

As I've also said in other posts, including the post you're responding to, I agree that H didn't need to divulge details he didn't wish to divulge. So that's not at issue either.

The issue were disagreeing over is actually quite minor in my opinion. Some of us didn't care for H's answer. Others  reacted more positively to H's response. I maintain that there's room for both reactions.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

I dont complain about his attitude towards media.His rights  come with territory.I just dont agree giving him that kind of money because we dont have nothing better at this moment.Tanev would be better option for our Hughes.So what that tell you about Hronek.How good he is

I don't think Hronek warrants an $8M contract neither...

1 minute ago, syntheticity said:

As I've said in other posts, I agree with your assessment with Jpat's followup question. I was talking about H's response to the simple injury q. As others have pointed out, even H seems to have acknowledged that his response to that q was not ideal and he changed his tact and was more forthcoming in his answer to other qs.

I've also said in other posts, including the post you're responding to, I agree that H didn't need to divulge details he didn't wish to divulge. So that's not at issue either.

The issue were disagreeing over is actually quite minor in my opinion. Some of us didn't care for H's answer. Others  reacted more positively to H's response. I maintain that there's room for both reactions.

Of course there is... and of course there should be....no hard feelings either way...

For me its just the way some of the questions comes out... If you want honesty and feed back from players, you are hardly getting it by implying they've been shit the last 6 month true or not...

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Of course there is... and of course there should be....no hard feelings either way...

For me its just the way some of the questions comes out... If you want honesty and feed back from players, you are hardly getting it by implying they've been shit the last 6 month true or not...

The followup q was poorly framed, yes,  but, again, I was referring to the original injury q, which seemed fine. It was the same q that others were asked and answered without issue, and a q that players all knew was coming. 

• Cheers 1

People hanging on to the reported ask of $8M from Hronek’s camp are silly. That was when he was tracking for like 70 points and wasn’t injured. And obviously his camp is going to come in on the upper end with their first ask.

The fact that it is now being reported that there haven’t been many discussions since these initial offers is trivial. There had been no reported movement or discussions with Petey until our management decided they needed to get it done.

If it can be done for a reasonable price and term, Hronek will get locked up. If not our management will act fast to ensure we maximize his trade value. Management has proven to us they’re not afraid to do the surgery necessary for the team. 

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

People hanging on to the reported ask of $8M from Hronek’s camp are silly. That was when he was tracking for like 70 points and wasn’t injured. And obviously his camp is going to come in on the upper end with their first ask.

The fact that it is now being reported that there haven’t been many discussions since these initial offers is trivial. There had been no reported movement or discussions with Petey until our management decided they needed to get it done.

If it can be done for a reasonable price and term, Hronek will get locked up. If not our management will act fast to ensure we maximize his trade value. Management has proven to us they’re not afraid to do the surgery necessary for the team. 

Misread this post. 🙈

Edit: I don't really disagree with this assessment of H. Will just note that there are some more recent reports that H still wants closer to 8. But I guess we'll see how accurate those are soon...

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

I don't think Tanev would be a better partner for Hughes. Tanev is one of the best defensive dmen in the league, but he wouldn't match Hughes' abilities and wouldn't complement them as much.

I love Tanev, and would love to have him back, but at this point in their careers I would choose Hronek at 7-7.5m than Tanev at $5m.

Hronek and Hughes had great chemistry together and they worked well off each other. They kept the puck out of our net and kept control of the puck. Tanev doesn't have that same ability as Hronek in that regard, but is better defensively minded for sure.

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I don't think Tanev would be a better partner for Hughes. Tanev is one of the best defensive dmen in the league, but he wouldn't match Hughes' abilities and wouldn't complement them as much.

I love Tanev, and would love to have him back, but at this point in their careers I would choose Hronek at 7-7.5m than Tanev at $5m.

Hronek and Hughes had great chemistry together and they worked well off each other. They kept the puck out of our net and kept control of the puck. Tanev doesn't have that same ability as Hronek in that regard, but is better defensively minded for sure.

Pesce

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

One could also argue that the reports of the 8m+ number also came before his recent playoff performance. I suppose the q is what their camp thinks they can get on the open market, e.g. from Boston. If we can lock him up to a reasonable number & term, then great. I like what he brings. But I wouldnt be shocked (or too disappointed) if he signs elsewhere and we use that cap space on other needs, e.g. to find a top 6 winger to pair with Petey and give us more looks on the powerplay.

He's an RFA; he will either be in Van next year OR the team will trade him. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Hronek

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Pesce

FA Pesce will exceed 8m. RFA Hronek is cheaper, whether longterm, on a bridge, or a 1 year qualifying offer.

If the rumours of him actually wanting >8m are true versus an ask, he is better off doing a bridge, and cashing in in a couple years like Petterson.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pesce

Sure, if you could get him. And even if you could, I bet he's costing more or around the same as Hronek since he's a UFA and will have lots of teams looking at him.

Plus you never know if Pesce and Hughes will work as well as Hronek and Hughes.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He's an RFA; he will either be in Van next year OR the team will trade him. 

Just looked back at the post I was responding to, read it too fast, misread it as talking about Lindy, hence the comment about free agency & Boston. 🙈 You're absolutely right about Hronek.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Sure, if you could get him. And even if you could, I bet he's costing more or around the same as Hronek since he's a UFA and will have lots of teams looking at him.

Plus you never know if Pesce and Hughes will work as well as Hronek and Hughes.

He'll be much more than Hronek for two reasons I've been saying 1) He's an RFA; he can't get FA money 2) Canucks have team control over him for a year; that will ALWAYS result in a lower cap hit on a bridge or LT contract.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Just looked back at the post I was responding to, read it too fast, misread it as talking about Lindy, hence the comment about free agency & Boston. 🙈 You're absolutely right about Hronek.

I had a good feeling Lindy would resign until I saw his interview; guy is gonedo. If you listen closely, every term he used was past tense, and never openly mentioned a desire to stay; just basically "we will see".

He knows his market and that Boston was interested. With their obvious lack of leadership, they will be looking for someone to foill that role, and will overpay to doo so. Lindholm is not worth a bidding war in my opinion.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

I had a good feeling Lindy would resign until I saw his interview; guy is gonedo. If you listen closely, every term he used was past tense, and never openly mentioned a desire to stay; just basically "we will see".

I had the same read. Sounded like a guy awkwardly responding to a girl he hooked up with and has no intention seeing again: "yea it was fun, had a good time here" etc.

Meanwhile, Myers: "yea, I'd love to continue this!" 🤣

4 hours ago, rychicken said:

In my opinion, JPat has been trying to stir the shit-pot for years with his passive-aggressive "Who me" attitude. For me, he doesn't deserve any "benefit of the doubt"

I get that I am a cranky old man, and that journalism has all but departed sports reporting. Most approach it as trying to be entertaining, but there are two in this market (Satiar being the other) who don't want to report the stories, rather they want to manufacture them,

As another cranky old man, I grudgenly agree. 

30 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

FA Pesce will exceed 8m. RFA Hronek is cheaper, whether longterm, on a bridge, or a 1 year qualifying offer.

If the rumours of him actually wanting >8m are true versus an ask, he is better off doing a bridge, and cashing in in a couple years like Petterson.

Isn’t Pesce expected to come in around mid 5s? I don’t think I’ve seen 8 for Pesce anywhere…

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

The article posted here regarding Necas and Pesce suggests Pesce’s play fell off this year. I think I’d rather have Hronek at 7-7.5 than Pesce at 5-5.5. 

Not me, I'd rather have pesce, who is a better overall defender, and the extra $2m to add depth.  

• Cheers 1