[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

32 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Sure, if you could get him. And even if you could, I bet he's costing more or around the same as Hronek since he's a UFA and will have lots of teams looking at him.

Plus you never know if Pesce and Hughes will work as well as Hronek and Hughes.

Of course, but points is what pays, not being a top notch defender.  I'd be surprised if pesce comes in over $6m..........and he'd be a great fit for "defense wins games" tocchet

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not me, I'd rather have pesce, who is a better overall defender, and the extra $2m to add depth.  

I agree.  Mainly because I see Pesce being a better type of partner for Hughes than Hronek was.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course, but points is what pays, not being a top notch defender.  I'd be surprised if pesce comes in over $6m..........and he'd be a great fit for "defense wins games" tocchet

Yes points pays, but so does being a RHD and a UFA. I don't see Pesce signing for less than $6.5m on the open market. He's definitely not a point producer, but being a RHD pretty much gives him an extra million.

If you could get Pesce at $5.5-6m, then it would be a tough choice. Hronek is the better player, and younger with room to grow, but if you could save $2m and use that towards another defender sure. But I don't think the difference between the two guys is going to be $2m a season.

8 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I agree.  Mainly because I see Pesce being a better type of partner for Hughes than Hronek was.

I'm curious why you think that? Hughes had one of the best seasons by a defenseman ever in the NHL, and that was with Hronek as his partner.

Hronek isn't a stay at home dman, sure, but he opens up the ice for Hughes since it's two guys the opposition has to worry about. A team can pretty much ignore a Pesce or a Tanev and just focus on Hughes since they know neither guy can burn them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Joe King said:

I'm not so sure about that. Say the injury is a shoulder affecting his shot, or affects how physical he can check. If the doctors think it may be a chronic injury I think it could affect term or dollar amounts. I think some one who is trying to get max dollars could try to hide a injury.

You don't think that the Canucks have literally all the medical information? Hronek isn't going to some dark ally doctor without the Canucks knowledge to get checked. Fibbing about an injury is literally only a media thing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

I don't think Tanev would be a better partner for Hughes. Tanev is one of the best defensive dmen in the league, but he wouldn't match Hughes' abilities and wouldn't complement them as much.

I love Tanev, and would love to have him back, but at this point in their careers I would choose Hronek at 7-7.5m than Tanev at $5m.

Hronek and Hughes had great chemistry together and they worked well off each other. They kept the puck out of our net and kept control of the puck. Tanev doesn't have that same ability as Hronek in that regard, but is better defensively minded for sure.

Tanev is 10 times better defensive player .Now you tell me from new year till end of season how good Hronek played offensively.So where he is better option then any defensively good defence player.He dont use his forte.Period.

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

You don't think that the Canucks have literally all the medical information? Hronek isn't going to some dark ally doctor without the Canucks knowledge to get checked. Fibbing about an injury is literally only a media thing.

Yes,but how you explain one, one timer in 3 month.That one timer is reason he is here.He was never defence force.

What's interesting about Hronek is how measured he was as compared to Detroit. In Detroit, they relied on his shot a lot more from the half-wall, which he was deadly, also off the rush and on the power play.

This past season we saw different dimensions to his game in patience and how he sees the ice. In my view, he was thinking the game better. Most certainly in how he was intuitively creating more room for Hughes to be more mobile. Hronek was able to read Hughes incredibly quickly and intuitively. That chemistry is hard to find.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

Yes,but how you explain one, one timer in 3 month.That one timer is reason he is here.He was never defence force.

Not sure the relevance of this comment. I've been pretty clear I think he's lying about being injured.

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Not sure the relevance of this comment. I've been pretty clear I think he's lying about being injured.

My bad.Sometimes i think every poster i am talking to is ALF

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Tanev is 10 times better defensive player .Now you tell me from new year till end of season how good Hronek played offensively.So where he is better option then any defensively good defence player.He dont use his forte.Period.

I don't really know what you're trying to argue here, I said Tanev is one of the best stay at home d-men players in the league..

I think Hronek has been injured for the last 3-4 months, I mean hell we all saw the massive brace when he took his jersey off the last home reg season game.

I still think Hughes and Hronek complement each other a lot more than Tanev and Hughes. Hughes doesn't need a stay at home d-man with him, he's not a liability. Hronek and Hughes opened up the ice for each other, Tanev won't do that for Hughes.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

What's interesting about Hronek is how measured he was as compared to Detroit. In Detroit, they relied on his shot a lot more from the half-wall, which he was deadly, also off the rush and on the power play.

This past season we saw different dimensions to his game in patience and how he sees the ice. In my view, he was thinking the game better. Most certainly in how he was intuitively creating more room for Hughes to be more mobile. Hronek was able to read Hughes incredibly quickly and intuitively. That chemistry is hard to find.

But he doesn't do that here ,,,,,deadly......We want deadly.

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

I don't think Tanev would be a better partner for Hughes. Tanev is one of the best defensive dmen in the league, but he wouldn't match Hughes' abilities and wouldn't complement them as much.

I love Tanev, and would love to have him back, but at this point in their careers I would choose Hronek at 7-7.5m than Tanev at $5m.

Hronek and Hughes had great chemistry together and they worked well off each other. They kept the puck out of our net and kept control of the puck. Tanev doesn't have that same ability as Hronek in that regard, but is better defensively minded for sure.

Trust me, Tanev would be an excellent partner for Hughes despite his age.  Hronek was very good at pinches in the O zone and slinging the puck to Hughes-Tanev can do that.  And defensively we all know how well Tanev kills plays and transitions the puck out of the O zone.  

He would definitely compliment Hughes.  It’s no surprise he is playing top mins beside Heiskanen vs top lines in the playoffs.  And in the dressing room he would definitely be a very good influence.

The trade off of course is Hronek’s age (you’d have him longer) but IF they were to trade him to address other needs (assuming Tanev is his replacement) it could make some sense.  

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

I don't really know what you're trying to argue here, I said Tanev is one of the best stay at home d-men players in the league..

I think Hronek has been injured for the last 3-4 months, I mean hell we all saw the massive brace when he took his jersey off the last home reg season game.

I still think Hughes and Hronek complement each other a lot more than Tanev and Hronek. Hughes doesn't need a stay at home d-man with him, he's not a liability. Hronek and Hughes opened up the ice for each other, Tanev won't do that for Hughes.

What i am saying is .Hronek is not good defensively.Offensively he didn't produce on the end too.So why he is good partner for Hughes.His bread and butter is killer shot.And that missing

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

Trust me, Tanev would be an excellent partner for Hughes despite his age.  Hronek was very good at pinches in the O zone and slinging the puck to Hughes-Tanev can do that.  And defensively we all know how well Tanev kills plays and transitions the puck out of the O zone.  

He would definitely compliment Hughes.  It’s no surprise he is playing top mins beside Heiskanen vs top lines in the playoffs.  And in the dressing room he would definitely be a very good influence.

The trade off of course is Hronek’s age (you’d have him longer) but IF they were to trade him to address other needs (assuming Tanev is his replacement) it could make some sense.  

I truly do not believe Hughes has as good of a season this year without Hronek as his partner for most of the season.

They fed off each other so well and had a ton of chemistry, even Hughes has said that Hronek was the best partner he has ever had(this includes Tanev).

If Hughes and Hronek were big time liabilities in the d-zone this year, then I could buy needing a strictly stay at home d-man for Hughes, but they weren't. These two guys were the best pair in the NHL for a big part of the season.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

What i am saying is .Hronek is not good defensively.Offensively he didn't produce on the end too.So why he is good partner for Hughes.His bread and butter is killer shot.And that missing

Hronek isn't terrible defensively at all, he holds his own. Is he as good as Tanev? Absolutely not, but that is all Tanevs game is.

Hronek was obviously injured, which stopped the shot. I am sure that will come back next year.

We don't need a strict stay at home d-man to play with Hughes. Hronek and Hughes was the best pair in the NHL for a big part of the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Wow! You’re so totally wrong. Hronek put up 48 points and a plus 38. He did that while playing top pairing matchups and little to no PP. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, greenbean30 said:

I truly do not believe Hughes has as good of a season this year without Hronek as his partner for most of the season.

They fed off each other so well and had a ton of chemistry, even Hughes has said that Hronek was the best partner he has ever had(this includes Tanev).

If Hughes and Hronek were big time liabilities in the d-zone this year, then I could buy needing a strictly stay at home d-man for Hughes, but they weren't. These two guys were the best pair in the NHL for a big part of the season.

Hughes deserves most of the credit though.  Tanev or Hronek both complement his style of play.  Both can make a good pass, skate the puck and activate.

Having Tanev partner Hughes isnt about D zone deficiencies compared to Hronek.  All Im saying is that it is not a downgrade from to Hronek to Tanev short term.  The downgrade would be losing a capable RH D long term.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow! You’re so totally wrong. Hronek put up 48 points and a plus 38. He did that while playing top pairing matchups and little to no PP. 

From January he is nowhere to be seen

• Upvote 1