[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

Hughes deserves most of the credit though.  Tanev or Hronek both complement his style of play.  Both can make a good pass, skate the puck and activate.

Having Tanev partner Hughes isnt about D zone deficiencies compared to Hronek.  All Im saying is that it is not a downgrade from to Hronek to Tanev short term.  The downgrade would be losing a capable RH D long term.

Hughes deserves a lot of the credit, he is one of the best dmen in the league. But Hronek deserves his credit too.

Hronek is much more of a threat than Tanev and takes more of the opposition's focus which frees up Hughes. Tanev does have a good first pass, but once over our Blueline, Hronek is by far the better player.

That's also not taking into account, Tanev has only once played a full season. He is good for about 60-65 games on average, so that leaves 20ish games that Hughes doesn't have his partner. And likely as Tanev ages, his durability will also drop, so he might start missing more time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Hronek isn't terrible defensively at all, he holds his own. Is he as good as Tanev? Absolutely not, but that is all Tanevs game is.

Hronek was obviously injured, which stopped the shot. I am sure that will come back next year.

We don't need a strict stay at home d-man to play with Hughes. Hronek and Hughes was the best pair in the NHL for a big part of the season.

With Foote and Gonchar, Hronek can become better defensively. 

But ...

Hronek deserves a lot of credit in giving Hughes room to be mobile, knowing instinctively where he's going in order to create room to confuse the opposition. They both keep the opposition off balance and take them out of position to create even more room. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I think we can keep both and they’ll both come in lower than expected 

I really hope so too, there's a good thing happening here. I don't expect guys to take millions less, but 500k? sure why not, if Aquilini is willing to pay a lot of bonus money up front. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Hughes deserves a lot of the credit, he is one of the best dmen in the league. But Hronek deserves his credit too.

Hronek is much more of a threat than Tanev and takes more of the opposition's focus which frees up Hughes. Tanev does have a good first pass, but once over our Blueline, Hronek is by far the better player.

That's also not taking into account, Tanev has only once played a full season. He is good for about 60-65 games on average, so that leaves 20ish games that Hughes doesn't have his partner. And likely as Tanev ages, his durability will also drop, so he might start missing more time.

One way to think about Tanev is to look at how successful Garland/Bleugar/Joshua were together in the regular season.  Bleugar wasnt getting a lot of points but he was a key factor in disrupting opponents break outs and extending play.  That led to more Garland/Joshua O zone time/scoring chances.  Tanev plays a very similar game in the O zone.

There is more offensive upside to Hronek even if I found his play somewhat underwhelming at times this season.  That said, Im not concerned about a Hughes drop off if Tanev was his partner if it came to that.  

And yes, durability could be an issue w Tanev for sure. 

I'm thinking the following players will be gone next season:

Lindholm

Mikheyev

Blueger

Lafferty

Hronek 

Cole

Friedman

DeSmith

Maybe they bring in a true Top 6 winger for Petey, and if so, hopefully we see the real Petey.

? - Miller - Boeser

? - Pettersson - Guentzel

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Hoglander - ? - Podkolzin

I love that Maholtra is now the coach in Abby, guys like Raty and Sasson can learn from the guru on faceoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

With Foote and Gonchar, Hronek can become better defensively. 

But ...

Hronek deserves a lot of credit in giving Hughes room to be mobile, knowing instinctively where he's going in order to create room to confuse the opposition. They both keep the opposition off balance and take them out of position to create even more room. 

How much Alf paid you to keep his side?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

People hanging on to the reported ask of $8M from Hronek’s camp are silly. That was when he was tracking for like 70 points and wasn’t injured. And obviously his camp is going to come in on the upper end with their first ask.

The fact that it is now being reported that there haven’t been many discussions since these initial offers is trivial. There had been no reported movement or discussions with Petey until our management decided they needed to get it done.

If it can be done for a reasonable price and term, Hronek will get locked up. If not our management will act fast to ensure we maximize his trade value. Management has proven to us they’re not afraid to do the surgery necessary for the team. 

Smart post! On point. It is trivial. Especially as compared to Petey and how well he waa doing first half. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

That'd better than getting locked into a long deal at a ridiculous aav for a guy who's probably worth $6m

Wasting prime years of our current core would be much worse.

Im not saying sign him for anything, but thinking overpaying someone like Pesce to come here as a better solution might not be true.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, AlexanderM said:

I expect PA to trade or not re-sign anyone who won't accept a reasonable offer. 

Yup. We saw that with Horfat Wallet. PA didn’t want guys who only play for money. He knows those guys are losers. 

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting Petey’s injury wasn’t serious enough to negatively affect his skating? You do understand what the “itis” part means, right? 

Injury or not he had many questionable problems non skating related. It doesn’t matter now

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I really hope so too, there's a good thing happening here. I don't expect guys to take millions less, but 500k? sure why not, if Aquilini is willing to pay a lot of bonus money up front. 

Petey didn't. He could have set a precedent by doing so.

4 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

That's not true.  Over the last 5 seasons Tanev has played 347 games, Hronek has played 344.  So, Tanev has actually played more games than Hronek since 2019.

Hronek is a better offensive player than Tanev, however at $8 million he doesn't bring enough to the table.  He wears down in the second half of the season, so his durability can also be questioned...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Gustav Forsling is a better overall Dman than Hronek.  39 points this year and a +56.  As well as being first choice on the penalty kill.  He signed at 5.75x8.  No way Hronek is worth $8 million.  I would argue Hronek shouldn't even be getting more than Forsling.  With Florida taxes, you can add maximum $1 million to that, which is what Allvin offered Hronek, 6.75x8.  That's his absolute maximum value IMO...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Posted (edited)

Old man Tanev. He was so injury prone here. Starting to look like Jed Clampett. 

Hronek's not getting $8 million here. 

He's definitely worth over $7, has proved that, and isn't an overpayment.

Has also proved top pairing RHD with Hughes that's known. Don't listen to unknown circular feelings. 

We're not bottom dwellers. Need to pay to be good. Different thinking. Get with it. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gustav Forsling is a better overall Dman than Hronek.  39 points this year and a +56.  As well as being first choice on the penalty kill.  He signed at 5.75x8.  No way Hronek is worth $8 million.  I would argue Hronek shouldn't even be getting more than Forsling.  With Florida taxes, you can add maximum $1 million to that, which is what Allvin offered Hronek, 6.75x8.  That's his absolute maximum value IMO...

Why can't we draft defensemen like this?🕵️‍♀️

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Old man Tanev. He was so injury prone here. Starting to look like Jed Clampett. 

Weird trivia, since Hronek first full season in the NHL (21/22 - he played a chunk of 20/21 in the minors), he's played 223 NHL regular season games.

Tanev?  222 NHL regular season games.  It's clearly something in the water in Vancouver 🥸

But yeah, he turns 35 in December.  That should be a noticeable red flag (in regards to offering him anything longer than a one year contract)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

R (1).gif

Weird thing is, we actually need a solid dependable defenseman like Jim Benning on this team.  Not too flashy (offensive production wise) but fairly reliable defensively, so he wouldn't cost alot (cap-wise).  At least that's how I remember his time as a player here.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weird thing is, we actually need a solid dependable defenseman like Jim Benning on this team.  Not too flashy (offensive production wise) but fairly reliable defensively, so he wouldn't cost alot (cap-wise).  At least that's how I remember his time as a player here.

Benning was a PMDman in junior, had 139 points his last year and was a 6th overall pick.  But he couldn't replicate that in the NHL and turned into a defensive type Dman in his later years.  Kudos to him for drafting Forsling.  He should have been more patient with him though.  This was the case with many of our picks under Benning.  We really didn't draft and develop anyone under Benning other than Demko...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning was a PMDman in junior, had 139 points his last year and was a 6th overall pick.  But he couldn't replicate that in the NHL and turned into a defensive type Dman in his later years.  Kudos to him for drafting Forsling.  He should have been more patient with him though.  This was the case with many of our picks under Benning.  We really didn't draft and develop anyone under Benning other than Demko...

Goalie development has generally always been a strong suit for us since almost going back to the time Burke made that "goalies graveyard" comment.  Many legitimate Vezina candidates  (Schneider I think might've won one had not injuries shortened his career).

Relying on my memory again (so that's a huge caveat lol!), I think Willie Mitchell was a defenseman who was able to put up some decent points (before he was drafted).  Went into the Jacques Lemaire New Jersey system & turned into a defensive defenseman stud. 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1