[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Dallas will offer Tanev a lot to stay. Heiskanen has been a different player with Tanev as his partner. Hughes can play with a pylon and make other clubs want that pylon. Heiskanen needs a baby sitter. Dallas will pay Tanev a lot to babysit Heiskanen. 

True-he has been a great fit there.  

Personally Im in the camp that Hronek’s production this year is inflated.  Similar to Petey putting up points in the first half of the year-I viewed them as empty calories.  I didn't think Petey was the best version of himself/more of a beneficiary despite the points.

A NHL defenseman that want’s to be paid close to or at 8 mill should be able to drive production/anchor a separate pairing. Going back to Petey Im not worried about him being a difference maker on his own. I think he has that in him.  Im not sold on Hronek yet but it might be possible.  Put it this way: if Hughes was injured would Hronek be an 8million defenseman, leading the defense group (PP, 5 on 5 etc.?)

4 minutes ago, Goose said:

True-he has been a great fit there.  

Personally Im in the camp that Hronek’s production this year is inflated.  Similar to Petey putting up points in the first half of the year-I viewed them as empty calories.  I didn't think Petey was the best version of himself/more of a beneficiary despite the points.

A NHL defenseman that want’s to be paid close to or at 8 mill should be able to drive production/anchor a separate pairing. Going back to Petey Im not worried about him being a difference maker on his own. I think he has that in him.  Im not sold on Hronek yet but it might be possible.  Put it this way: if Hughes was injured would Hronek be an 8million defenseman, leading the defense group (PP, 5 on 5 etc.?)

Heiskanen is an okay player without Tanev. But with Tanev as his baby sitter he’s a lot better. Some players just can’t do it on their own. Hughes, the phenom he is, clearly can. Heiskanen, being just an okay player, clearly needs help. And Tanev is the best helper out there. Dallas is going to out bid everyone to keep him. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heiskanen is an okay player without Tanev. But with Tanev as his baby sitter he’s a lot better. Some players just can’t do it on their own. Hughes, the phenom he is, clearly can. Heiskanen, being just an okay player, clearly needs help. And Tanev is the best helper out there. Dallas is going to out bid everyone to keep him. 

They have decent cap space and affordable UFA's to sign. Pavelski will stay for a bargain. Duchene will too probably. They can definitely afford to give Tanev what he wants.

Only guy they need to pony up for is Thomas Harley who's had a great break out season

Just now, Conscience said:

Hronek blew in the playoffs why pay any more than 6 mill for that?

i want a playoff stanley cup not a regular season champ

Dahlin just got over 11 per and Hronek is a better player. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

U have no idea what ur talking about as usual.

Heiskanen is "just an okay player " too right lol

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Hughes will get 12 or more when he re signs in a couple years.  All this talk of Hronek can't be paid more then Hughes with the staggered contract dates is silly.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

But he said,he is not injured.That would make him what? Liar?

I couldn't care less really. I liar, a fibber, not comfortable with questions from idiots, lacking patience or tolerance of mundane situations.

Whatever it is who cares? Has no effect on how he did or will play in the future. That's what matters.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

The Canucks still have quite a bit of work dealing with the cap + resigning. From what they are saying about Hronek, Lindholm and Big Z - pretty close to 20M -> that 24M gets eaten up pretty quickly. We have 14-15 players signed and still need to add 5 / plus Huggy, Garland, BB and possibly Demko in the next few years. 

I'm all for the players getting the maximum value contracts (that is what I would do) -  it will however, be up to JR / PA and RT to figure out who are their most important assets to sign as they attempt to build up from season last year.  Hopefully they can maybe find some additional depth through Free Agency Buyouts and PTO.  Dallas (Duchene) and Florida (OEL) got pretty good returns on their buyout player acquisitions

You can never have "too much" depth in the playoffs - look at the NYR hero yesterday - Gooddrow or when PDG scored that key goal for us in Game 5.

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Conscience said:

U have no idea what ur talking about as usual.

Heiskanen is "just an okay player " too right lol

Fact is Dahlin sucks pucks defensively. And Heiskanen sucks pucks offensively. That makes them both puck suckers! 🤣

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fact is Dahlin sucks pucks defensively. And Heiskanen sucks pucks offensively. That makes them both puck suckers! 🤣

Yep 13 points and 5 goals in 14 playoff games mhm definitely sucks offensively mhm good one alf.

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Yep 13 points and 5 goals in 14 playoff games mhm definitely sucks offensively mhm good one alf.

Okay Heiskanen is decent now he’s got a baby sitter (Tanev). Dahlin is a puck sucker though. 11.6 x 8 for that guy is insane! Worse contract in the league now? 

2 hours ago, Goose said:

I wouldnt compare how Tanev looked with Hughes then vs now.   

Hughes (now) is on another level.  

Having watched Hronek all year and closely watching how Tanev has performed in DAL, I feel confident in saying the differences would be marginal either way (assuming Tanev stays relatively healthy). 

If the point at issue is how they would compliment Hughes, Im confident in both.  

But we will see what happens w Hronek’s contract talks w the Canucks.  Tanev might even re-sign in DAL given his role/performance there.

Yeah I get the comparison with Tanev 4 years ago is not going to be accurate. What I meant was we have evidence of Hughes greatly improving his play alongside Hronek. With Tanev we have evidence that he played very well but not near as dominant and proficient as this year.

I'm not sure how you can be that confident just by watching him play with Heiskanen. Heiskanen and Hughes are two very different players. Yes I'm sure both would be good, maybe Tanev would be better, maybe not, maybe the same. If you're right Tanev is obviously cheaper. guess we'll only truly know if Tanev becomes our 1RD. I think it's far more likely they re-sign Hronek, or go after someone else, but who knows. I'd also bet Tanev re-signs in Dallas.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay Heiskanen is decent now he’s got a baby sitter (Tanev). Dahlin is a puck sucker though. 11.6 x 8 for that guy is insane! Worse contract in the league now? 

U talking about pete or dahlin now hah

Just now, Conscience said:

U talking about pete or dahlin now hah

Petey is a phenom. Dahlin has always been an overhyped puck sucker. He’s exactly why the Sabres stink. He’s why Sweden got destroyed at the World’s today too. No effort to play defensively. Cheats for points. Loser player. 

Miro Heiskanen is a really good player. He doesn’t need a babysitter. 
‘This is all mostly silliness. 
‘Is he even better with Tanev there?  Sure, who isn’t better paired with Tanev. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Heiskanen has been awful so far against the Soilers. The coach needs to find easier minutes for that guy, where he can cheat for offence. 

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Pouliot.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure how you can be that confident just by watching him play with Heiskanen. Heiskanen and Hughes are two very different players. Yes I'm sure both would be good, maybe Tanev would be better, maybe not, maybe the same. If you're right Tanev is obviously cheaper. guess we'll only truly know if Tanev becomes our 1RD. I think it's far more likely they re-sign Hronek, or go after someone else, but who knows. I'd also bet Tanev re-signs in Dallas.

Just watching how he (Tanev) plays the game.  He’s a support player and does it very, very well.  I see a lit of the same qualities that made Hughes/Hronek successful this year.

If the Canucks can work out a deal that works w Hronek-great.  That was never an issue for me.  I just disagree w the idea that Tanev/Hughes pairing couldnt excel if that was an option for Allvin/Tocchett.  

I wonder more about how Hronek plays away from Hughes.

Edited by Goose
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don't know where to post this so....

Hmm… I’m a huge McLean fan, but wasn’t he struggling with alcohol issues for a period after the whole Jeff Brown saga? I hope he’s got thing under control.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I often wish Gillis went 'all in' in the window he had.  Not the half-azzed attempts (imho).  I *think* that's what the Panthers did (they gave up picks /prospects).

You don't think Gillis went all in?  It doesn't get much more "all in" than Gillis.......that's why there was a decade of suffering after

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just because some one got overpaid, doesn't mean we have to match that stupid move.

Players agents have been pushing up contracts to ridiculous levels.

Look no further than Toronto for this shinning example of out of control spending.

What as fans do we want to support:  Players that are paid more than their contribution to the 

to the success to the team just because other teams 

overpay.

Or players that are still paid very well, but are willing to 

put the team success at least on a even plain as their 

greed.

There is still a salary cap and teams can't have every player making tens of millions of dollars a year. The thing is some players hold out for more dollars,then underperform and fans get angry. But other fans will say to not be so critical of the overpaid player. Rinse and repeat.

Adding a fresh example. Yay possibly another buy out of a player getting paid to much for what he brings. Check out the Canucks possibly buying out Mikyeyev . If we do hopefully we don't use the space to over pay some one else. Rinse and Repeat.

Edited by Joe King