[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weird trivia, since Hronek first full season in the NHL (21/22 - he played a chunk of 20/21 in the minors), he's played 223 NHL regular season games.

Tanev?  222 NHL regular season games.  It's clearly something in the water in Vancouver 🥸

But yeah, he turns 35 in December.  That should be a noticeable red flag (in regards to offering him anything longer than a one year contract)

Jed Tanev looking for a one year ...

beverly-hillbillies-hat.gif

6 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm thinking the following players will be gone next season:

Lindholm

Mikheyev

Blueger

Lafferty

Hronek 

Cole

Friedman

DeSmith

Maybe they bring in a true Top 6 winger for Petey, and if so, hopefully we see the real Petey.

? - Miller - Boeser

? - Pettersson - Guentzel

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Hoglander - ? - Podkolzin

I love that Maholtra is now the coach in Abby, guys like Raty and Sasson can learn from the guru on faceoffs.

Unfortunately i dont see us bringing in 3 new top 6 players. Just not possible.

if lindy goes then I think you have to keep bluegar. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

You don't think that the Canucks have literally all the medical information? Hronek isn't going to some dark ally doctor without the Canucks knowledge to get checked. Fibbing about an injury is literally only a media thing.

I think it's possible to miss things even by professionals. I think Ferland and Poolman.

In the past Cody Hodgins I'm sure there is more. 

After a few moments to think I also want to add.  Doctors practice medicine.

It's called practice for a reason. Some times there are no for sure answers.

Edited by Joe King

2 hours ago, Joe King said:

I think it's possible to miss things even by professionals. I think Ferland and Poolman.

I don't think there's any chance that's Hronek lying about an injury during an end of season is the difference between medical professionals missing or discovering an injury.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Goalie development has generally always been a strong suit for us since almost going back to the time Burke made that "goalies graveyard" comment.  Many legitimate Vezina candidates  (Schneider I think might've won one had not injuries shortened his career).

Canucks are blessed with Ian Clark. Best goalie coach in the business. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not true.  Over the last 5 seasons Tanev has played 347 games, Hronek has played 344.  So, Tanev has actually played more games than Hronek since 2019.

Hronek is a better offensive player than Tanev, however at $8 million he doesn't bring enough to the table.  He wears down in the second half of the season, so his durability can also be questioned...

What's not true about it? Chris Tanev has only ever played one full season, every other season he has missed significant time.

Since Chris has been a full time NHLer(the 13-14 season), he has played 700 games in 11 years, that's good for 63 games on average.

I don't think Hronek is going to get $8m a year, and I don't think he believes that he will either. It's called negotiation, you ask for a lot more than you actually want, and the team offers a lot less and then you work towards the happy medium. Hronek is definitely worth $7-$7.25m and I believe that is where his contract will come in at.

We aren't getting Pesce at less than $6m like some think, and Tanev is not a good replacement for Hronek. Tanev will be 35 coming up this year, he's at the tail end of his career. We want players that will fit our window, getting rid of a good d-man who fits exactly in that window would be such a dumb move by this management team. The only way that happens is if Hronek actually thinks he's worth more than he is, but you can't take the reported $8m and think that's where him and his agent see him at.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Joe King said:

Not in this case. Lots of media were in the the Canucks dressing room, witnessed Hronek's shoulder getting bandaged up by Canucks medical staff...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Joe King said:

Nothing was missed about Ferland.  The Canucks (Jim Benning) knew full well what they were getting when they acquired him.  A guy that no insurance company would give their "ok" to his contract (this is BEFORE he offered Ferland that deal).  That alone should have raised red flags everywhere.

No question the Canucks doctors bungled how they handled Cody Hodgins.  But then again, Cody's *OWN* doctor misdiagnosed him.  It wasn't until he went back to the Canucks medical staff that they were able to figure out what was wrong (medically) with him.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

9 hours ago, Conscience said:

Unfortunately i dont see us bringing in 3 new top 6 players. Just not possible.

if lindy goes then I think you have to keep bluegar. 

Lind-🏠 is gone and the 1st round, 3rd or 4th round draft picks, the two defensive prospects (one of them very promising) and the 40 Goal Scorer in Kuz we threw away for him will seem like an aweful big waste of assets for what we got in return and will go down in Canucks history as one of the most short sighted trades in franchise history.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think there's any chance that's Hronek lying about an injury during an end of season is the difference between medical professionals missing or discovering an injury.

I agree but I'm certainly suspect of Petty's supossed injury that he's been nursing for 5 months.     Why did he stay in the game or better yet - why did Canucks Medical staff and the coach allow him to continue playing at a sub-par level instead of allowing him to get better?     Someone should be raked over the coals for allowing that to happen.  It likely cost us the playoffs having our #1 guy playing like a 5th liner!

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Lind-🏠 is gone and the 1st round, 3rd or 4th round draft picks, the two defensive prospects (one of them very promising) and the 40 Goal Scorer in Kuz we threw away for him will seem like an aweful big waste of assets for what we got in return and will go down in Canucks history as one of the most short sighted trades in franchise history.  

Happens all the time with contending teams. Lindholm was a rental and the Canucks went for it. They were close, final 5. Looking forward to next years try.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree but I'm certainly suspect of Petty's supossed injury that he's been nursing for 5 months.     Why did he stay in the game or better yet - why did Canucks Medical staff and the coach allow him to continue playing at a sub-par level instead of allowing him to get better?     Someone should be raked over the coals for allowing that to happen.  It likely cost us the playoffs having our #1 guy playing like a 5th liner!

Yeah I'm not particularly crossed about that. As someone who's treated tendinopathy is regular folks and high level athletes, at least from the limited information available I don't find how it was handled out of the ordinary at all. I've already gone into detail why either here or in the injury thread.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Seemed like Tocchet wasn't too impressed with Petey and his pain threshold. Toc basically said it was a little tendinitis (downplaying), which is why they never kept him out in that last game. It probably wasn't that serious an injury.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Tocchet and JR/Allvin discuss the roster, and Petey in particular. Can the team's most highly paid player lead them to a Cup one day? 

Other than Lidstrom/Zetterberg, Backstrom and Forsberg, there has never been another Swede to lead a team to a Cup.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Seemed like Tocchet wasn't too impressed with Petey and his pain threshold. Toc basically said it was a little tendinitis (downplaying), which is why they never kept him out in that last game. It probably wasn't that serious an injury.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Tocchet and JR/Allvin discuss the roster, and Petey in particular. Can the team's most highly paid player lead them to a Cup one day? 

Other than Lidstrom/Zetterberg, Backstrom and Forsberg, there has never been another Swede to lead a team to a Cup.

JR knows what it takes to win the Cup. He knows we need Petey (healthy) to win. 
It shows Petey’s character playing on one leg. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Happens all the time with contending teams. Lindholm was a rental and the Canucks went for it. They were close, final 5. Looking forward to next years try.

Lind was a reward for the way the team was playing all year, also perhaps a back up in case EP didn't re- sign, maybe a reason EP signed, after hearing they were considering trading him , and his injury he had just suffered at that time (he made mention of at the year end), made him realize that he wanted to stay and the injury made him realize he is a injury away from guaranteed millions

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Jurmo will never play an NHL game and will likely spend his career in Europe.  Brust is a Jr star, but doubtful that translates to much of a pro career, let alone an NHL one.  The first I wasn't crazy about, but hurts much less at the #28 pick...... the third and 4th will likely never play an NHL game.

They wasted Kuz as an asset long before sending him to Calgary and that's on all of them, imo.

Ud say that's a small price to pay for some much needed post season success

Edited by stawns
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I often wish Gillis went 'all in' in the window he had.  Not the half-azzed attempts (imho).  I *think* that's what the Panthers did (they gave up picks /prospects).

2 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

What's not true about it? Chris Tanev has only ever played one full season, every other season he has missed significant time.

Since Chris has been a full time NHLer(the 13-14 season), he has played 700 games in 11 years, that's good for 63 games on average.

I don't think Hronek is going to get $8m a year, and I don't think he believes that he will either. It's called negotiation, you ask for a lot more than you actually want, and the team offers a lot less and then you work towards the happy medium. Hronek is definitely worth $7-$7.25m and I believe that is where his contract will come in at.

We aren't getting Pesce at less than $6m like some think, and Tanev is not a good replacement for Hronek. Tanev will be 35 coming up this year, he's at the tail end of his career. We want players that will fit our window, getting rid of a good d-man who fits exactly in that window would be such a dumb move by this management team. The only way that happens is if Hronek actually thinks he's worth more than he is, but you can't take the reported $8m and think that's where him and his agent see him at.

That’s not true. He played full seasons in 2019/2020, 2020/2021 and 2021/2022. Literally 3 years in a row he didn’t miss a single game. During COVID we didn’t have an 82 game season. 

Also, you are using an average of his entire career. I simply stated that in the last 5 years he’s played more games than Hronek, which is factually correct. Your whole argument was that Tanev is less durable than Hronek.  Hronek has never technically played a full season in the NHL. Tanev has 3 times. 

We already offered 6.75x8 to Hronek which is exactly what he is worth. His ask hasn’t changed at all since we started negotiating. I’m sure someone will pay him $8 million. But it won’t be Vancouver. 

Tanev is fine as a short term fix. Hughes doesn’t need a puck mover by his side. Hronek provided zero offence in the playoffs. Even Allvin said that Hronek should be on the 2nd pairing. So Vancouver is already looking at splitting them up.  

We have Tom Willander on the way who will anchor the second pairing for the next 15 years. He’s a dynamic skater and looks to be the next Charlie McAvoy. So getting a defensive Dman for Hughes is ideal. Tanev would be a great short term fix. I’m hoping we can be aggressive and trade for Artem Zub. He’d be the perfect partner for Hughes really. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not true. He played full seasons in 2019/2020, 2020/2021 and 2021/2022. Literally 3 years in a row he didn’t miss a single game. During COVID we didn’t have an 82 game season. 

Also, you are using an average of his entire career. I simply stated that in the last 5 years he’s played more games than Hronek, which is factually correct. Your whole argument was that Tanev is less durable than Hronek.  Hronek has never technically played a full season in the NHL. Tanev has 3 times. 

We already offered 6.75x8 to Hronek which is exactly what he is worth. His ask hasn’t changed at all since we started negotiating. I’m sure someone will pay him $8 million. But it won’t be Vancouver. 

Tanev is fine as a short term fix. Hughes doesn’t need a puck mover by his side. Hronek provided zero offence in the playoffs. Even Allvin said that Hronek should be on the 2nd pairing. So Vancouver is already looking at splitting them up.  

We have Tom Willander on the way who will anchor the second pairing for the next 15 years. He’s a dynamic skater and looks to be the next Charlie McAvoy. So getting a defensive Dman for Hughes is ideal. Tanev would be a great short term fix. I’m hoping we can be aggressive and trade for Artem Zub. He’d be the perfect partner for Hughes really. 

Too bad Woo is a dud. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:12 AM, Integra250 said:

Do you think some players were hush about their injuries (ex. Cole and Hronek) so they don't appear weak and / or "damaged" which may affect their negotiating powers?

Absolutely. As far as Cole, you don't want to say, "well I'm old so I get something hurt all the time after tough games". Similarly with Hronek, obviously he doesn't want to reveal a pretty significant injury and complain about how that stopped him from contributing right while he's in the middle of an $8 mil contract ask.

With Hronek though that's the downfall of being a bit of a goof and never talking to the media. Wasn't ready for the type of questioning or the creative responses needed, if indeed he didn't want to say anything there are little things you can say, which really say nothing.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Absolutely. As far as Cole, you don't want to say, "well I'm old so I get something hurt all the time after tough games". Similarly with Hronek, obviously he doesn't want to reveal a pretty significant injury and complain about how that stopped him from contributing right while he's in the middle of an $8 mil contract ask.

With Hronek though that's the downfall of being a bit of a goof and never talking to the media. Wasn't ready for the type of questioning or the creative responses needed, if indeed he didn't want to say anything there are little things you can say, which really say nothing.

It sure looks like we are headed down the Horfat road with Hronek. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I said that Tanev is statically, in his career, good for 65ish games, which is factually correct. Tanev is also well into his 30s and on the tail end of his career, I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries with how he plays the game.

Tom Willander looks great, but Tom Willander is a prospect who you cannot rely on. You don't start trading away proven players, who fits your team need just because you have a prospect who is looking very promising. We are in a compete now stage, Willander will not be stepping in for another 2-3 years at minimum and he shouldn't step in and be given a ton of responsibility, which is what your scenario does.

I also argue that Hronek is only worth $6.75m, I bet most people would put him in the $7-7.5m, he is a #2 d-man, and that is the going rate. You can argue that Hughes would benefit more from a more stay at home d-man, but there is nothing that backs up that argument other than your personal opinion. Hughes had his best statistical season by far this year, playing with Hronek. Not all of that is because of Hronek, but definitely part of it is, they were amazing together. Hronek obviously got some type of injury which dropped his production, but he still contributed heavily to this team this whole year.

You also say Hronek never has technically played a full year, but Tanev has 3 times. Well Hronek played the 56 games in 2020, just like Tanev so if you want to use those shortened years to argue Tanev has played full seasons, then yes Hronek has as well. To me, those aren't full seasons, 82 games is a full season.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

I said that Tanev is statically, in his career, good for 65ish games, which is factually correct. Tanev is also well into his 30s and on the tail end of his career, I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries with how he plays the game.

Tom Willander looks great, but Tom Willander is a prospect who you cannot rely on. You don't start trading away proven players, who fits your team need just because you have a prospect who is looking very promising. We are in a compete now stage, Willander will not be stepping in for another 2-3 years at minimum and he shouldn't step in and be given a ton of responsibility, which is what your scenario does.

I also argue that Hronek is only worth $6.75m, I bet most people would put him in the $7-7.5m, he is a #2 d-man, and that is the going rate. You can argue that Hughes would benefit more from a more stay at home d-man, but there is nothing that backs up that argument other than your personal opinion. Hughes had his best statistical season by far this year, playing with Hronek. Not all of that is because of Hronek, but definitely part of it is, they were amazing together. Hronek obviously got some type of injury which dropped his production, but he still contributed heavily to this team this whole year.

I’m guess PA would go as high, with Hronek, as the Devon Toews deal. If Hronek is expecting to cash in even more than PA will do like he did with Fat Wallet. 

• Like 1