[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m guess PA would go as high, with Hronek, as the Devon Toews deal. If Hronek is expecting to cash in even more than PA will do like he did with Fat Wallet. 

This is also where I think the team will go.

19 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

People hanging on to the reported ask of $8M from Hronek’s camp are silly. That was when he was tracking for like 70 points and wasn’t injured. And obviously his camp is going to come in on the upper end with their first ask.

The fact that it is now being reported that there haven’t been many discussions since these initial offers is trivial. There had been no reported movement or discussions with Petey until our management decided they needed to get it done.

If it can be done for a reasonable price and term, Hronek will get locked up. If not our management will act fast to ensure we maximize his trade value. Management has proven to us they’re not afraid to do the surgery necessary for the team. 

I think it comes down to comparable contracts and Noah Hanifin's 7+ million deal with the Golden Knights will be used by Honker's camp.

My guess is that it goes to arbitration, but I don't see how he gets less than NH, especially considering Vegas is in a much more player friendly tax environment. That being the case, the Canucks live with what the arbitrator decides, or sign him to a deal worth at least close to 8 million per and see if they can find any takers, or bite the bullet and hope that he lives up to those numbers.

I know if I was the GM, I'd be trying to move him right now....

• ThereItIs 1

18 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

The article posted here regarding Necas and Pesce suggests Pesce’s play fell off this year. I think I’d rather have Hronek at 7-7.5 than Pesce at 5-5.5. 

He's still an excellent defender 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Seemed like Tocchet wasn't too impressed with Petey and his pain threshold. Toc basically said it was a little tendinitis (downplaying), which is why they never kept him out in that last game. It probably wasn't that serious an injury.

I think some in the media are really misreading, or reading too much into, RT's comments. He didn't deny the existence of the injury, nor its impact on Petey. Both RT & Petey downplayed the injury as being serious enough to require surgery. But that's perfectly consistent with Petey's comment that it became increasingly painful as the season progressed and that it affected his play.

Edited by syntheticity

18 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

My bad.Sometimes i think every poster i am talking to is ALF

Your main clues are always the lack of the use of "Moran" and no Trump golfing pic....

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Too bad Woo is a dud. 

Next year we will see.

He was a rock this year on the farm. And I will be very disappointed/surprised if he doesn’t get a spot with the big club next season. He’s better than Juulsen imo.

Bieksa was 24/25 when he broke onto the Canucks. 

Woo is 23…I’m hoping for a similar career arc with him. 

Only thing I’m worried about is Woo’s season ending knee injury and how bad it is…may start off slow next year which would suck for him because he has really put the work in to be better.

Give him till 25 Alf before you call him a dud. He’s got more to give I promise 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Next year we will see.

He was a rock this year on the farm. And I will be very disappointed/surprised if he doesn’t get a spot with the big club next season. He’s better than Juulsen imo.

Bieksa was 24/25 when he broke onto the Canucks. 

Woo is 23…I’m hoping for a similar career arc with him. 

Only thing I’m worried about is Woo’s season ending knee injury and how bad it is…may start off slow next year which would suck for him because he has really put the work in to be better.

Give him till 25 Alf before you call him a dud. He’s got more to give I promise 

Sure hope you’re right about Woo. It would be fantastic if he could contribute minutes to the big club. Zadorov and Woo as our 5/6 pair? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sure hope you’re right about Woo. It would be fantastic if he could contribute minutes to the big club. Zadorov and Woo as our 5/6 pair? 

That’s what I’m hoping for!

But unfortunately they haven’t said anything about his knee injury so i’m scared at how serious it is. Time will tell

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I said that Tanev is statically, in his career, good for 65ish games, which is factually correct. Tanev is also well into his 30s and on the tail end of his career, I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries with how he plays the game.

Tom Willander looks great, but Tom Willander is a prospect who you cannot rely on. You don't start trading away proven players, who fits your team need just because you have a prospect who is looking very promising. We are in a compete now stage, Willander will not be stepping in for another 2-3 years at minimum and he shouldn't step in and be given a ton of responsibility, which is what your scenario does.

I also argue that Hronek is only worth $6.75m, I bet most people would put him in the $7-7.5m, he is a #2 d-man, and that is the going rate. You can argue that Hughes would benefit more from a more stay at home d-man, but there is nothing that backs up that argument other than your personal opinion. Hughes had his best statistical season by far this year, playing with Hronek. Not all of that is because of Hronek, but definitely part of it is, they were amazing together. Hronek obviously got some type of injury which dropped his production, but he still contributed heavily to this team this whole year.

You also say Hronek never has technically played a full year, but Tanev has 3 times. Well Hronek played the 56 games in 2020, just like Tanev so if you want to use those shortened years to argue Tanev has played full seasons, then yes Hronek has as well. To me, those aren't full seasons, 82 games is a full season.

Charlie McAvoy came in to NHL as a 20 year old and averaged 24 minutes a night his first NHL season. So why do you think Willander is still 2-3 years away just from playing in the NHL?

Willander is a stud. He’s also going to come in as a 20 year old and dominate from day one. 

IMO Hughes could pretty much play with anyone. There were times this year that he played with Zadorov and even Myers. The first half of the season wasn’t really sustainable for this team. That’s why we had such a big drop off in the second half of the season. Hronek’s play dropped off considerably which also occurred when he played for Detroit. 

The fact that Allvin mentioned that Hronek should be on the second pairing already confirms to me that Hughes/Hronek will be split up next season IF Hronek is even still around. So that tells me we are looking for a new partner for Hughes. Sometimes you really need to listen to these interviews with management closely as they will give you enough information to discern what is going to happen in the future. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not true.  Over the last 5 seasons Tanev has played 347 games, Hronek has played 344.  So, Tanev has actually played more games than Hronek since 2019.

Hronek is a better offensive player than Tanev, however at $8 million he doesn't bring enough to the table.  He wears down in the second half of the season, so his durability can also be questioned...

Hronek all the way, (if this is a vote), he does it all. Chris had so many years of being an excellent defender, but got a little lost when it came to sustained

play in the offensive zone. I've seen he's improved but Hronek just is so much more. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

Of course, but points is what pays, not being a top notch defender.  I'd be surprised if pesce comes in over $6m..........and he'd be a great fit for "defense wins games" tocchet

I've seen you advocating for Pesce for a while now. Wasn't it pretty widely reported he had like zero interest in coming West? 

I take comfort in the fact that PA and the rest of the crew seem to have numbers in mind and are prepared to move on if players seem stuck on cashing in.

They did it with Bo....when he was standing still they had Plan B (JT) and moved with it. Snooze you lose stuff.

If Hronek's deal isn't within reason I'm sure this'll be the case. Any player wanting to play here has to look at not only their personal wants but what the team can afford. JT did that. He wanted to be here, with the group, and signed long term for a reasonable price. That sets the tone of how it'll be here I'm sure.

This is what we can give you, take it or leave it. Sure, there's some wiggle room for negotiating but not to extend too far beyond what the management team has in mind. 

Some hard ball must be played at times when you're working within a budget.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've seen you advocating for Pesce for a while now. Wasn't it pretty widely reported he had like zero interest in coming West? 

Don't know much about him but he's only played one full season...is there an injury history?

Also, he's turning 30...I thought that's supposed to be an issue? It certainly was a sticking point for some here. I know d men develop and hit their stride a bit later but...

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Don't know much about him but he's only played one full season...is there an injury history?

Also, he's turning 30...I thought that's supposed to be an issue? It certainly was a sticking point for some here. I know d men develop and hit their stride a bit later but...

I like him, he’s a good dman…but injuries have plagued him…then imagine you have him playing for the Canucks…he may never play again with our injury luck lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well he could come North West as we're more NW if he doesn't want to go just West 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

I'm curious why you think that? Hughes had one of the best seasons by a defenseman ever in the NHL, and that was with Hronek as his partner.

Hronek isn't a stay at home dman, sure, but he opens up the ice for Hughes since it's two guys the opposition has to worry about. A team can pretty much ignore a Pesce or a Tanev and just focus on Hughes since they know neither guy can burn them.

Yes - Pesce and Tanev totally are useless when it comes to offensive creativity.

21 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Tanev is 10 times better defensive player .Now you tell me from new year till end of season how good Hronek played offensively.So where he is better option then any defensively good defence player.He dont use his forte.Period.

It is really hard to understand what you're trying to say. Maybe start with something simple like spaces after periods. Doesn't really matter if Tanev is better at defence, Hughes clearly benefits from a smart offensive player and it was more about elevating Hughes game then Hronek's point total.

With Tanev

image.thumb.png.6d5e52f2d79329c3fd4560c472c2bdfd.pngWith Hronek

image.thumb.png.8316da520f07e35979d0816d14f517b7.png

Of course Hughes grown a lot as a player but he didn't explode until he got Hronek as a partner, and Hughes himself has publicly credited a lot of that to Hronek.

20 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

I don't really know what you're trying to argue here, I said Tanev is one of the best stay at home d-men players in the league..

I think Hronek has been injured for the last 3-4 months, I mean hell we all saw the massive brace when he took his jersey off the last home reg season game.

I still think Hughes and Hronek complement each other a lot more than Tanev and Hughes. Hughes doesn't need a stay at home d-man with him, he's not a liability. Hronek and Hughes opened up the ice for each other, Tanev won't do that for Hughes.

Exactly. Tanev will never open up the ice for like Hronek. I'd like Tanev for a 2RD, but not our 1RD.

20 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

I truly do not believe Hughes has as good of a season this year without Hronek as his partner for most of the season.

They fed off each other so well and had a ton of chemistry, even Hughes has said that Hronek was the best partner he has ever had(this includes Tanev).

If Hughes and Hronek were big time liabilities in the d-zone this year, then I could buy needing a strictly stay at home d-man for Hughes, but they weren't. These two guys were the best pair in the NHL for a big part of the season.

True

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Goose said:

One way to think about Tanev is to look at how successful Garland/Bleugar/Joshua were together in the regular season.  Bleugar wasnt getting a lot of points but he was a key factor in disrupting opponents break outs and extending play.  That led to more Garland/Joshua O zone time/scoring chances.  Tanev plays a very similar game in the O zone.

There is more offensive upside to Hronek even if I found his play somewhat underwhelming at times this season.  That said, Im not concerned about a Hughes drop off if Tanev was his partner if it came to that.  

And yes, durability could be an issue w Tanev for sure. 

I get what you're saying and both options could be valid. Tanev is solid and could perhaps play good enough to keep Hughes playing at a top level. I do fear though that it could go back to an improved steady and dependable but Hughes loses that elusive extra element which made him super dynamic and a should be Norris winner. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Tanev will never open up the ice for like Hronek. I'd like Tanev for a 2RD, but not our 1RD.

Exactly this. We need Hughes to be Hughes. 

Hronek gives Hughes room to be mobile. He knows instinctively where he's going in order to create room to confuse the opposition, keep them off balance and take them out of position. That creates even more room and opens up holes. That's hard to come by in a partner.

Tanev would be great down the D to sure that up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I get what you're saying and both options could be valid. Tanev is solid and could perhaps play good enough to keep Hughes playing at a top level. I do fear though that it could go back to an improved steady and dependable but Hughes loses that elusive extra element which made him super dynamic and a should be Norris winner. 

I wouldnt worry about it tbh.  To borrow a Rick Tocchett phrase Tanev is a “safety valve”.

Tanev is such a solid player.  He’s paired w Heiskanen on the top pair in DAL.  He still moves extremely well and executes solid passes.  His defending/transition game of course is superb.  Its amazing how he “calms” the game down.

IF Hronek generated more offence w his shot I might think differently about a Tanev trade off but so far we see very little of that.  Much more often than not he gets the puck to Hughes which is exactly what Tanev would do as well. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nothing was missed about Ferland.  The Canucks (Jim Benning) knew full well what they were getting when they acquired him.  A guy that no insurance company would give their "ok" to his contract (this is BEFORE he offered Ferland that deal).  That alone should have raised red flags everywhere.

No question the Canucks doctors bungled how they handled Cody Hodgins.  But then again, Cody's *OWN* doctor misdiagnosed him.  It wasn't until he went back to the Canucks medical staff that they were able to figure out what was wrong (medically) with him.

That was a funny one in retrospect.

JB: "Well hoy crap Mr. Ferland. I've never seen anyone singlehandedly destroy a team like that in the playoffs before. Well ... here's $16 million bucks as a congratulations".

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It sure looks like we are headed down the Horfat road with Hronek. 

Yup. along with Pricey Petey, we have Rich Hronek, Greedy Garland, Zillionaire Zadorov, Deep pockets Dakota, and, Money Hungry Hughes coming up in a few years. 😆 Just joking ... not serious folks.

Lol ... the Horfat wallet thing is dumb. Not at all like Hronek. He was never holding out for a massive payday. The team offered him a sh!t deal and then traded him mid-season, not the other way around. The Isles desperately needing a center, having trouble attracting FA's, and the price paid caused them to open up their wallets. I can't figure out for the life of me why some people insult Bo the way they do. Aliens? Now aliens I can believe. 😂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That was a funny one in retrospect.

JB: "Well hoy crap Mr. Ferland. I've never seen anyone singlehandedly destroy a team like that in the playoffs before. Well ... here's $16 million bucks as a congratulations".

Yup. along with Pricey Petey, we have Rich Hronek, Greedy Garland, Zillionaire Zadorov, Deep pockets Dakota, and, Money Hungry Hughes coming up in a few years. 😆 Just joking ... not serious folks.

Lol ... the Horfat wallet thing is dumb. Not at all like Hronek. He was never holding out for a massive payday. The team offered him a sh!t deal and then traded him mid-season, not the other way around. The Isles desperately needing a center, having trouble attracting FA's, and the price paid caused them to open up their wallets. I can't figure out for the life of me why some people insult Bo the way they do. Aliens? Now aliens I can believe. 😂

Who wouldn’t want a Fat Wallet? I’ll tell you who for free. 

• Haha 1