[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That was a funny one in retrospect.

JB: "Well hoy crap Mr. Ferland. I've never seen anyone singlehandedly destroy a team like that in the playoffs before. Well ... here's $16 million bucks as a congratulations".

Yeah the *ONLY* way a guy like Ferland was effective vs any normal bottom six winger (that would be FAR cheaper) is if he played VERY physical.  A guy made of glass at this at this point in his career.  Beyond stupid IMHO.

Plus Ferland was also only effective against us in the post season because the refs swallowed their whistles when he repeatedly charged at our players.  Imagine Raffi Torres with an immunity idol!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah the *ONLY* way a guy like Ferland was effective vs any normal bottom six winger (that would be FAR cheaper) is if he played VERY physical.  A guy made of glass at this at this point in his career.  Beyond stupid IMHO.

Plus Ferland was also only effective against us in the post season because the refs swallowed their whistles when he repeatedly charged at our players.  Imagine Raffi Torres with an immunity idol!

Imagine signing a player to a big money 4 year deal even though no insurance company would cover it due to the player’s history of concussions. Benning! 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes - Pesce and Tanev totally are useless when it comes to offensive creativity.

It is really hard to understand what you're trying to say. Maybe start with something simple like spaces after periods. Doesn't really matter if Tanev is better at defence, Hughes clearly benefits from a smart offensive player and it was more about elevating Hughes game then Hronek's point total.

With Tanev

image.thumb.png.6d5e52f2d79329c3fd4560c472c2bdfd.pngWith Hronek

image.thumb.png.8316da520f07e35979d0816d14f517b7.png

Of course Hughes grown a lot as a player but he didn't explode until he got Hronek as a partner, and Hughes himself has publicly credited a lot of that to Hronek.

Exactly. Tanev will never open up the ice for like Hronek. I'd like Tanev for a 2RD, but not our 1RD.

True

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nothing complicated to understand.Hughes is good with any player paired with.My grammar shouldn't stop you understand my point.Hronek fell of cliff for half off season.His forte is shooting pack.That is how you help Hughes.Taking attentions and pressure of him.One slapper in 3 month?????It is painful to watch Boushard the tool doing perfectly what Hronek didn't do. He is not worthy money he is asking.I guess that is my point.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Nothing complicated to understand.Hughes is good with any player paired with.My grammar shouldn't stop you understand my point.Hronek fell of cliff for half off season.His forte is shooting pack.That is how you help Hughes.Taking attentions and pressure of him.One slapper in 3 month?????It is painful to watch Boushard the tool doing perfectly what Hronek didn't do. He is not worthy money he is asking.I guess that is my point.

Hronek had an injured shoulder. Guy was friggin’ incredible considering that. Plus 38 and 48 points. Top pairing minutes. Hardest matchups. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

This is also where I think the team will go.

He'll get Hronek done, I'm sure of it. Loves his team, hates reporters. (wanna take another try Thomas?) Hronek was a huge part of the team the longer it went on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Don't know much about him but he's only played one full season...is there an injury history?

Also, he's turning 30...I thought that's supposed to be an issue? It certainly was a sticking point for some here. I know d men develop and hit their stride a bit later but...

Wow, I don't follow the East quite as close and I didn't realize he has missed so many games. I did some searching and he's had a log of injuries. 

2018 March 21st season ending shoulder injury

2020 4-6 months in 2020 for right shoulder surgery

2021 2 week undisclosed injury

2023 lower body, out 3 weeks

2024 missed last 9 post-season games with fractured fibula

A smattering of undisclosed injuries and illnesses along the way. Played 82 last year but I'd be a little wary. To be honest though I feel anytime a defender hits 70 games that's pretty decent considering how tough the game is.

As far as turning 30 I think a couple of us had about 2 or 1000 page discussions on it. 😂 Yeah, the body definitely drops off, it's supposed to be better for dmen but Pesce is turning 30 in Nov, and Hronek turns 27 in Nov. I honestly can't say which one would be better but I'd be leaning Hronek just because I don't think Hughes needs a babysitter. His defence is excellent. He benefits from a player who can see the ice and play upbeat offensive hockey. I'd love Pesce on the second pair with Soucy or Zads but of course that's not a realistic get for us.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. We need Hughes to be Hughes. 

Hronek gives Hughes room to be mobile. He knows instinctively where he's going in order to create room to confuse the opposition, keep them off balance and take them out of position. That creates even more room and opens up holes. That's hard to come by in a partner.

Tanev would be great down the D to sure that up. 

Exactly, someone that knows when to push up and give Hughes an option, or when to set him up for a shot, or when to hold the puck, when to switch sides. Also the vision and quickness of reads Hronek has compared to Tanev is undeniable. The thing is when Hughes and Hronek are on we usually always have the puck so defence is useless in that situation. Tanev will just dump it in the corner and it's play over ... but he can defend very well.  In those cases then he gets to use his defence, but that's not really a plus, when we could be playing in the o-zone.

One thing I will say is that maybe a defensive partner or player with size would have helped in the playoffs as Quinn was checked so hard he didn't really have the freedom to freewheel, and we did get hemmed in our zone quite a bit. Quinn was awesome all year and now he's got develop some new moves for next year.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

apparently the Oilies whined to the the league about the green men. Grow a pair for gods sake. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/oilers-file-complaint-canucks-green-men-controversial-sign

They've hit a new low.

Did their Moms send an email?

I want to complain too. Oiler fans need to quit wearing their manure boots in our building. And shower before you show up please. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goose said:

I wouldnt worry about it tbh.  To borrow a Rick Tocchett phrase Tanev is a “safety valve”.

Tanev is such a solid player.  He’s paired w Heiskanen on the top pair in DAL.  He still moves extremely well and executes solid passes.  His defending/transition game of course is superb.  Its amazing how he “calms” the game down.

IF Hronek generated more offence w his shot I might think differently about a Tanev trade off but so far we see very little of that.  Much more often than not he gets the puck to Hughes which is exactly what Tanev would do as well. 

I know you obviously don't but I do. I think it's quite a valid question. Not like crazy worried but cognizant of differing possibilities. No one knows for sure what the difference would be unless we actually see it. Last time Tanev played Hughes was no where near as good.

He may be a safety valve but so is Hronek in terms of puck possession. Tanev is a great player, no doubt. We don't know how Hronek would be playing with Heiskanen either. Good point about the shooting. Hronek didn't use that blast very much. One downside is he also seems to have no clue about when to get the shot through vs passing it off. So I'll agree with you there.

I'm not hellbent either way really ... there are so many moving parts this year I'll trust JR and PA to what they're doing.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

It's hard to parse (read) through the grammar for us out here reading. Spaces between thoughts would help. You do know Hronek was hurt right, that's why he wasn't shooting? Most of your post is about that. Point taken though, not many people do think he's worth $8 mil. I don't but it's not too far off. That's what these players make these days. 

As far as Bouchard, there is a reason he was taken 10th overall. His d sucks but he's very prolific offensively and his shot selection and accuracy is off the chart. A lot of his shots are wristers unlike Hronek's inaccurate bomb slapper. Perfect player for that team.

Edited by Gawdzukes

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's hard to parse (read) through the grammar for us out here reading. Spaces between thoughts would help. You do know Hronek was hurt right, that's why he wasn't shooting? Most of your post is about that. Point taken though, not many people do think he's worth $8 mil. I don't but it's not too far off. That's what these players make these days. 

As far as Bouchard, there is a reason he was taken 10th overall. His d sucks but he's very prolific offensively and his shot selection and accuracy is off the chart. A lot of his shots are wristers unlike Hronek's inaccurate bomb slapper. Perfect player for that team.

But he said,he is not injured.That would make him what? Liar?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

But he said,he is not injured.That would make him what? Liar?

Both Hronek and Cole didn’t use I juties as an excuse. They’re both negating (or soon to negotiate) contracts. They aren't dumbos. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Both Hronek and Cole didn’t use I juties as an excuse. They’re both negating (or soon to negotiate) contracts. They aren't dumbos. 

So liars.How can you use that for negotiation if even Alf know true.Ha ha

Edited by Lemon Face

36 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I know you obviously don't but I do. I think it's quite a valid question. Not like crazy worried but cognizant of differing possibilities. No one knows for sure what the difference would be unless we actually see it. Last time Tanev played Hughes was no where near as good.

He may be a safety valve but so is Hronek in terms of puck possession. Tanev is a great player, no doubt. We don't know how Hronek would be playing with Heiskanen either. Good point about the shooting. Hronek didn't use that blast very much. One downside is he also seems to have no clue about when to get the shot through vs passing it off. So I'll agree with you there.

I'm not hellbent either way really ... there are so many moving parts this year I'll trust JR and PA to what they're doing.

I wouldnt compare how Tanev looked with Hughes then vs now.   

Hughes (now) is on another level.  

Having watched Hronek all year and closely watching how Tanev has performed in DAL, I feel confident in saying the differences would be marginal either way (assuming Tanev stays relatively healthy). 

If the point at issue is how they would compliment Hughes, Im confident in both.  

But we will see what happens w Hronek’s contract talks w the Canucks.  Tanev might even re-sign in DAL given his role/performance there.

1 minute ago, Goose said:

I wouldnt compare how Tanev looked with Hughes then vs now.   

Hughes (now) is on another level.  

Having watched Hronek all year and closely watching how Tanev has performed in DAL, I feel confident in saying the differences would be marginal either way (assuming Tanev stays relatively healthy). 

If the point at issue is how they would compliment Hughes, Im confident in both.  

But we will see what happens w Hronek’s contract talks w the Canucks.  Tanev might even re-sign in DAL given his role/performance there.

Dallas will offer Tanev a lot to stay. Heiskanen has been a different player with Tanev as his partner. Hughes can play with a pylon and make other clubs want that pylon. Heiskanen needs a baby sitter. Dallas will pay Tanev a lot to babysit Heiskanen. 

• Upvote 2