[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

2 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't think Gillis went all in?  It doesn't get much more "all in" than Gillis.......that's why there was a decade of suffering after

Benning (the moran) is why we had a decade of suffering. Gillis went to the owner and presented his plan to rebuild. He got fired for that. Then Benning happened. 

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't think Gillis went all in?  It doesn't get much more "all in" than Gillis.......that's why there was a decade of suffering after

Nope.  Only dealt one first round pick (two if you count Grabner).  I don't count a bunch of lower round picks (eg., 2nds).  Jim Benning dealt more 1st round picks than Gillis & Nonis combined.   Amateur scouting department sucked ass (particularly the Canadian amateur scouts).  That was Gillis' flaw (failing to address that issue that led to the problems even after he as gone).   That was something that wasn't improved under Jim Benning (who was far better in that area).  The home runs under Benning were from our international amateur scouts (I don't believe the bullsh*t from Benning giving Ron Delorme credit for Petey). 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nope.  Only dealt one first round pick (two if you count Grabner).  I don't count a bunch of lower round picks (eg., 2nds).  Jim Benning dealt more 1st round picks than Gillis & Nonis combined.   Amateur scouting department sucked ass (particularly the Canadian amateur scouts).  That was Gillis' flaw.  

Exactly! While trying to push an already very good team over the top Gillis made moves to do that. And his club came very close. Two President trophies and two game played to win the Cup. No other Canuck club has been so successful. 
Then Benning (the moran) arrived and used more high picks and UFA signings than Gillis in hopes to just creep into the playoffs. Add to that craperolla that Benning (the moran) chose “his” guy with our top picks instead of listening to the scouts and we fans now suffer from post traumatic moran disorder. 

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! While trying to push an already very good team over the top Gillis made moves to do that. And his club came very close. Two President trophies and two game played to win the Cup. No other Canuck club has been so successful. 
Then Benning (the moran) arrived and used more high picks and UFA signings than Gillis in hopes to just creep into the playoffs. Add to that craperolla that Benning (the moran) chose “his” guy with our top picks instead of listening to the scouts and we fans now suffer from post traumatic moran disorder. 

Nah, Willie D & Travis Green were issues.  Like the Italian army in WWII, they were adequate (rank & file soldiers) according to the German General Erwin Rommel.  It was their officers/Generals that let them down.  Not saying the Canucks wouldn't been world beaters under a Jack Adams trophy type of head coach, but they you could at least see 'light at the end of the tunnel' (vs just relying on goaltending for success).  Jim Benning had plenty of time (7 years) to hire one.  Took how long for Alvin to find one?  

I will agree the farm system was empty/barren when Jim Benning was hired (that's *ALL* on Gillis) but how much better was it really when JR/Alvin came aboard?  No excuse for that.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nope.  Only dealt one first round pick (two if you count Grabner).  I don't count a bunch of lower round picks (eg., 2nds).  Jim Benning dealt more 1st round picks than Gillis & Nonis combined.   Amateur scouting department sucked ass (particularly the Canadian amateur scouts).  That was Gillis' flaw (failing to address that issue that led to the problems even after he as gone).   That was something that wasn't improved under Jim Benning (who was far better in that area).  The home runs under Benning were from our international amateur scouts (I don't believe the bullsh*t from Benning giving Ron Delorme credit for Petey). 

I don't think you judge by what he spent and more by what he bought and he added a ton to that team to try to get them to the top of the mountain.  There's only so many roster spots.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think you judge by what he spent and more by what he bought and he added a ton to that team to try to get them to the top of the mountain.  There's only so many roster spots.

Gillis left as many landmines than Jim Benning did for his successor to "inherit".  

• Vintage 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gillis didn't leave as many landmines than Jim Benning did for his successor to "inherit".  

Is that a joke?  We just cheered on a core, built by Benning, push the Oilers to 7 games in round two.  PA had much much more to work with than benning did.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is that a joke?  We just cheered on a core, built by Benning, push the Oilers to 7 games in round two.  PA had much much more to work with than benning did.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.   round 7 in round two > Stanley Cup Finals game 7 (but yeah, that's was all Nonis sure).  And we went to round two game 7 with Petey doing his best Mr Invisible imitation and a 3rd string goalie that AR/Alvin got.

OEL is a cap hit until the end of days.  Thank you Jim Benning.

But I'm just threadjacking this thread (as it's about Canucks media availability) so I apologize for that.  This will be the last time in this thread I'll make comments on it arguing this neverending Gillis/Benning stuff (we're better off today without either of those two in charge).  lol  John Weisbrod as his number two.  How could we have failed with him?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Maybe some of you have heard this Lady before. First time I have in 2 or 3 years. Knows the game and the team pretty well.

Head Coach of the year & GM is the finalist for the GM of the year award....the team is in good hands.  Mistakes will be made as they're only human but you have to look at the entire picture (we're heading in the right direction).  And the wily old vet like JR as the sage.  

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I think it was Benning, Maybe Gillis, that fired head scout Judd Brackett for seemingly no reason other then he was being sought-after by another couple

od teams. He was great at finding the best US collegiate players. Benning and Gillis didn't think it was important. (don't have a smiley face that indicates "well da")

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Head Coach of the year & GM is the finalist for the GM of the year award....the team is in good hands.  Mistakes will be made as they're only human but you have to look at the entire picture (we're heading in the right direction).  And the wily old vet like JR as the sage.  

Its a promising path but we have also be aware other teams in the division will improve so the battle will be a bit tougher.  Injury aside and assuming we field a similar roster, I think the team will challenge for one of the top three positions in the division.  I like the fact they have 24M in cap - the possibility to sign some of their key players and really re-build this team.  But they do have to watch the AAV  given we have to sign 5-6 players. 

I am wondering if they should "somewhat" go the way of how Kraken / Golden Knights were assembled - during the expansion draft, they were allowed access to most teams 2-3 line players - talk about depth!  The good thing is that the Canucks have a inner core(s) - maybe surround them further with ~3M players to build up that depth.

Of course, team chemistry and the ability to play in the coach's system will be important. Will be an interesting off season for sure.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

The one thing that gives me greater hope and confidence in all of this and where we go next is that JR didn't come out of retirement to lose. He wants another Cup. Time is ticking for him. I'm sure we'll see more, competent and precise decision-making in the offseason. 

Both JR, PA, and staff know exactly what it takes to win and what our needs are going forward in order to take the next step up. 

Like Allvin said, he doesn't see any Cup banners hanging from the rafters. That's exactly the mindset we need from our GM.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:27 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek knew enough English to call out a player on another team and tell him “enjoy your holidays”.  

Dan Murphy also called bulllshit on Hronek saying he wasn’t injured. Also, you are telling me that when your play goes to absolute shit during the middle of the season you can’t find a way to at least describe it in basic English?  Petey was able to talk about his strugggles without being hostile to the media. 

Hronek is a dick who wants $8 million to shotgun off of Hughes. He can’t even carry his own pairing. I’d trade his ass tomorrow. 

I agree with you.  I would not sign him long term, however, I'd be looking for a bridge deal that goes along with buying one or two UFA years for less AAV than 8 million... maybe 6 million will be sufficient and trade him next off-season and if he is asking for NTC or a limited NTC, just make it a deal at $6 millions AAV and trade him before his clause kicks in.  That way, we get reasonable deal and giving Hronek time to prove his case of being 8 million dollars man. Plus Hughes contract will expire in 3 seasons and if we can find a way to keep Hronek up to that point then we can talk at that point of offering him money if Hughes decides not to re-sign with us and we worry about that later.  

22 hours ago, stawns said:

Each GM were hired to build their own team. To blame each GM's failure on their predecessors is beyond retarded. 

• Upvote 1

My guess - Free Agents

Blueger - Re-signed

Joshua - Re-signed

Lafferty - Gone

Lindholm - Gone (Boston offers more)

Hronek - Gone (Trade)

Zadorov - Gone (? offers more)

Cole - Gone

Friedman - Re-signed

Myers - Re-signed

Silovs - Re-signed

DeSmith - Gone

Team could look quite a bit different next season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Each GM were hired to build their own team. To blame each GM's failure on their predecessors is beyond retarded. 

Lol that's not even what they were talking about.  No wonder Stawns ignores so many posts. How do you debate when people change topics mid-argument? 

First they're talking about which GM left a better future.  Then buddy comes back and is saying that Gillis was the better GM, which is NOT the same discussion.

Now here's another topic change.  Do you or do you not blame the previous management?  3 completely different things!  Haha!

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Lol that's not even what they were talking about.  No wonder Stawns ignores so many posts. How do you debate when people change topics mid-argument? 

First they're talking about which GM left a better future.  Then buddy comes back and is saying that Gillis was the better GM, which is NOT the same discussion.

Now here's another topic change.  Do you or do you not blame the previous management?  3 completely different things!  Haha!

Gillis had a better present which was his mandate. He went to ownership after 2013 with a plan to rebuild. For that he was fired and we got a decade of Benning (the moran). 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gillis had a better present which was his mandate. He went to ownership after 2013 with a plan to rebuild. For that he was fired and we got a decade of Benning (the moran). 

I feel the same way Alf.  

But in honour of this random conversation, may I just add that Jim Benning put more effort in to his hair than MG.  To suggest that Bennings hair hasn’t impacted concession prices is ludicrous.  Imagine how different things would be if he only emptied the dishwasher on Thursdays.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I feel the same way Alf.  

But in honour of this random conversation, may I just add that Jim Benning put more effort in to his hair than MG.  To suggest that Bennings hair hasn’t impacted concession prices is ludicrous.  Imagine how different things would be if he only emptied the dishwasher on Thursdays.

I always thought Benning was Eddie Munster grown up:

image.thumb.jpeg.698e5a4bf1c09cdab2fd0723a5491ac1.jpeg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 4:39 AM, stawns said:

When did Gillis go all in?

His deadline moves were… the corpse of Samuel Pahlsson, small and undersized Derek Roy, Hodgson for Kassian (trading mid for mid), and Higgins and Lapierre for a 3rd round pick. That is hardly going all in.

He traded a 1st for Keith Ballard which didn’t work out at the draft in 2010. He was put on waivers 3 years later. He traded a 3rd for David Booth early in the 2012, another depth trade. 

Between 2011-2013, we had all our 3 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, 3 3rd round picks, and traded Schneider for a 1st in the midst of our competitive window. Of all those picks, who panned out? Bo Horvat… the one we got from Schneider. The rest busted. 

If Gillis had used these picks and prospects such as Schroeder and Hodgson to go after pending UFA’s such as Savard, Hejduk, Kariya, Eaves, Plekanec’s in 2010, or Brad Richards, Kovalev, Erik Cole in 2011, who knows what could’ve been. There were also a bunch of RFA’s like Foligno, Marleau, Hornqvist etc at the time who were all in contract disputes and were linked to the Canucks at one point, we could’ve scrapped up some assets to acquire some of them.

Our 4 year window snapped because of Gillis’s inability to leverage all the assets we had and instead went dumpster diving and bargain hunting for other teams washed up players. Then our said assets never amounted to anything which is typical for a playoff team who will be drafting late in rounds.

benning also inherited a prospect pool of Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk (4 1st rounders), Grenier, Cassels, Labate, Subban, (3rd and 4th rounders), Fox, McEneny, Cederholm (depth), as well as Virtanen and McCann (another 2 1st rounders), Demko, and Tryamkin (his first ever draft). 

Benning had a ton to work with. This franchise under his rule couldn’t develop any of them except Horvat and Demko. Oh and who else did he draft that first year and is now a top 25 dman in the league? He’s in the ECF right now.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I have never seen the internet so full of oilers this and oilers that (notice I didn't capitalize?) well that was by design, just to show the old;

C8CCK8jr1w1Y4.webp

🕵️‍♀️

• Haha 1