[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

32 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar. We got two legendary D and a power forward so I think we will add Fedorov as assistant. Need a centre. 

Great hall of fame class worth of experience. Our players are in great hands 

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually you are wanting to give up your first born for Guentzel.

I'm looking for younger, faster, and bigger options that won't be as expensive.

It's pretty clear in the Western Conference we need guys that can hit, and take a hit. Along with scoring.

I'd rather have a balanced team like Dallas.

I agree with your assessment - watching the Canucks playoffs this year, one thing I wished we had more was depth - you look at the remaining teams - they all have their  top 1-2 lines of fantastic players but also look at their depth - whether it is Marchment / Gooddrow - these 3rd line players play a huge role in the post season when injuries will mount due to the increased hitting,  Dallas has something like 8-9 players that you have to "watch" when playing them because they are a scoring threat.

Of course, we would all like to have 5-6 superstars on our team but with the salary cap - I think it is about balance - Have your 3-5 star players and surround them with 2-3M support players.  Having too many high price players on a team hurts the balance a bit simply due to cap space (eg. Maple Leafs)

In regard to Big Z, I would like to sign him of course -  I think it will depend what role RT / JR has in store for him - can he be upgraded to no 3-4 which will then result in the higher premium paid out.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar. We got two legendary D and a power forward so I think we will add Fedorov as assistant. Need a centre. 

We need a powerplay coach.

Florida's PP last night showed it can be a deciding factor in a game. Quick movement, crisp passes, decisiveness, and direction.

With the amount of talent we have...the biggest offseason move might be finding a proper specials team coach to manage the powerplay. Hughes, Petey, Miller, and Boes should not have struggled as they did on the powerplay.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Florida's PP last night showed it can be a deciding factor in a game. Quick movement, crisp passes, decisiveness, and direction.

With the amount of talent we have...the biggest offseason move might be finding a proper specials team coach to manage the powerplay. Hughes, Petey, Miller, and Boes should not have struggled as they did on the powerplay.

So the tongue in cheek nature of that post didn’t really come through hey. Would have said Roy for a goalie if he was available. 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yep. As good as Reinhart is with his 30+ powerplay goals on the year, there's no reason Pettersson shouldn't be able to put up at least 20-25. 

On Wednesday, CAA’s J.P. Barry joined Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor on Donnie and Dhali — The Team to discuss various topics related to the Canucks, including Elias Pettersson’s injury, Quinn Hughes’ standout season, and Tyler Myers’ future. Barry, who has negotiated over $1 billion in contracts throughout his career, represents multiple Canucks, including Pettersson, Hughes, and Myers.

During the interview, Barry addressed Elias Pettersson’s knee injury, which was revealed at the end of the season. Barry elaborated on the delicate situation, saying, “As Elias said himself, he was battling through something, but lots of players do. If he says, ‘Look, it’s nothing,’ then everybody just questions his play and abilities. But if he says he was battling with something, that opens up a whole other line of questioning. So, he was in a pretty awkward spot.”

Barry also discussed Pettersson’s confidence after struggling in the playoffs due to the injury. “Any player, especially a high-end player like that, who has a tough time in the playoffs, it’s tough. It doesn’t help, but he’ll have to come back and fight through it in the future.”
Barry was highly positive about Quinn Hughes’s performance throughout the season, calling it a “true breakout year.” He expressed excitement for Hughes, who is a finalist for the Norris Trophy, awarded to the league’s top defenceman. “We’re looking forward to seeing him in Vegas, and I believe he’s going to win that award. I’m excited for him.”
Despite some speculation about Hughes dealing with injuries, Barry emphasized taking the player at their word. “If he thinks it wasn’t enough to affect his play, then we should respect that. One player might say it didn’t affect them, while another might admit it did. Maybe we need to find a different way of asking these questions.”

Tyler Myers’ future with the Canucks was another focal point of the discussion. Barry mentioned that the team and Myers have had conversations about his future, even before the season ended. “We need to figure out our timing, and I don’t think we’re first in line, so we have to see what happens. He likes the city, his family likes the city, and he enjoys playing for the Canucks. He’s especially enjoyed the new coaching staff and has spoken highly about the coaches.”
Barry highlighted Myers’ commitment to the Canucks and his desire to remain with the team to build on their recent success. “He feels better than he ever has and really wants to stay to see if they can build on their success.”

On 5/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, stawns said:

I'm betting they're all pretty unhappy with the Petey treatment over the last 2-3 months. 

That said, the media also does them a lot of favours by hyping them up and increasing their value,  like DJ and Zad...........so, I'd say players need the media as well 

Ultimately, the media just reflects the fan base and if the media is toxic, it's because a certain portion of the fan base is toxic

Do you think GMs look to the media when deciding who to sign and term and $$$? They have their own staff to look at players and make their decisions based on their own criteria. Reporters are for the fans and nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Do you think GMs look to the media when deciding who to sign and term and $$$? They have their own staff to look at players and make their decisions based on their own criteria. Reporters are for the fans and nothing more.

If it didn't work, agents wouldn't do it.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

they do it because they hope it puts pressure on a GM if the market gets whipped up. But if your GM is that weak they need to be fired. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

they do it because they hope it puts pressure on a GM if the market gets whipped up. But if your GM is that weak they need to be fired. 

It does whip up interest in the market which then increases the teams involved which then raises the value.  A GM can stand his ground, which I definitely encourage, but it also means that player might choose another team and then the GM is under the gun for missing out.

Again, if it didn't work, agents wouldn't do it

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

It does whip up interest in the market which then increases the teams involved which then raises the value.  A GM can stand his ground, which I definitely encourage, but it also means that player might choose another team and then the GM is under the gun for missing out.

GMs set their plans and have their internal cap limits, this is likely what will happen with Lindy. Even if his agent got the fanbase frothing, Allvin isn't going to overspend just to appease the base.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, if it didn't work, agents wouldn't do it

sure they would, it costs them nothing and guys like Dhali do the work for them. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Pretty sure none of us really know what goes on behind closed doors. You might be right, I don't think your are, but if I was an owner and found out my GM made contract offers and decisions based on local media I'd fire them. 

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

That's how AEW is run.🤪