[PGT] Canucks Media Availability

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I also thought Hronek's response was perfectly fine, and that JPat's digging sounded like a pathetic whine that sought to elicit a sound bite.  I don't think he expected the frank response he got from Hronek, and put in his shoes, I'd be hella pissed too: I mean, "I already fucking told you I don't have an injury, why the fuck won't you take it at face value?  Are you fucking calling me a liar?  Go fuck yourself!" would've been my response (which would have fallen straight into JPat's trap).

Exactly. Nailed it. He didn't expect that response. Hronek didn't let him control the situation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. Nailed it. He didn't expect that response. Hronek didn't let him control the situation.

And not only that, he clubbed the fucker over the head with his sense of indignation of being implicitly called a liar.

...say, wasn't JPat persona non grata for a while in the press conferences?

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like Hronek even more now. He’s got bite. We need more guys like that. And clearly you do care, or why make the comment in the first place? 

Hronek when he was  on the ice was in the mix of players pushing and shoving.He stood up for players and our goalie with a stern look on his face.Reminded me of Bieksa.

Love that in players,but on mic some hate it and answer like he did.To me that's his right.

Love it all.

Edited by cripplereh
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

JPat being JPat.. Hronek answered his questions but he wasn't satisfied so he tried to guilt trip Hronek by mentioning that they had left him alone for most of the season.. JPat deserved the response that he got.  

Edited by quattrob
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

In a previous post I already mentioned that both of JPat's questions were legit and reasonable. Hronek was honest in his answers albeit frustrated and he pushed back.

This is clearly his personality type and explains why he's known not to be media friendly. I'm completely fine with him on that level. I don't have to like it but that's him. I don't need him to be nice.

Zad's responses were indeed refreshing. He did well this season and it was playful. I don't think it would be as playful if he was struggling and the media was always on him. If he re-signs, we'll definitely see. Everyone struggles.

As far as Hronek, his were refreshing in pushing back against the media and their narratives. We need more of that, imo. 

I do know what you mean, though, as compared to Petey's. 😉

What narrative are you referring to? Dan Murphy's recent tweet might shed some light on what happened:

If this is indeed the case, then it would be more accurate to say that JPat was the one pushing back against a false narrative, not vice versa...

Edited by syntheticity
  • Upvote 1

Social growth as a team, not letting media control the discourse. Different players handling it in different ways but it looked to me as players remaining a team off the ice as well. Media has traditionally been a problem for the Canucks and it seems as if this group is working on not letting it get to them.

Regarding the Swedes, that's what we are like in the spotlight. It's not our thing. And Lindholm specifically has always shown a blank face to media. He's just being somewhat politely private and elusive. 

• Like 3

J Pat is a prick... "We gave you space all year"... who the fuck does he think he is? God... Just ban that fool...

No wonder Hronek gave him a dirty stare... He answered the question asked, what else does he want? Hronek to ask him for forgiveness?...

Can't believe how daft a thing to say that is...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Allvin... is really interesting to listen to... Doesn't blame any of the players, but are honest... They lost and he is not happy about that...

I could listen to him and Tocchet all day long... they are simply box office...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Allvin... is really interesting to listen to... Doesn't blame any of the players, but are honest... They lost and he is not happy about that...

With respect to Tocchet, I'd be afraid to leave the room unless he told me to leave.🤣

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

There is a lot of wisdom born of experience there. 

like anytime a member of the media tries to heap praise on them for personal accomplishments they pass that shit off like a hot potato. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Man lol, Cole tried his best not to laugh at Hronek..I doubt Hronek wants to sign here, The dude sounded so hostile, Probably a good fit for Utah.

Nobody was laughing at Hronek. They were laughing about the situation. 

J Pat was wrong to push back like a wanker. But at the same time it is true that they left Hronek alone all year. Which is good. He doesn't need to go to Utah to be left alone 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

J Pat is a prick... "We gave you space all year"... who the fuck does he think he is? God... Just ban that fool...

No wonder Hronek gave him a dirty stare... He answered the question asked, what else does he want? Hronek to ask him for forgiveness?...

Can't believe how daft a thing to say that is...

Let's set aside outside perceptions of JPat for a moment and focus on the content and point of the questions being asked at a media availability day like this. 

Hronek knew the question about his injury status was coming. It's a standard question that was asked of other players by other reporters. Hronek also knew the intent of that particular question and the point of being available at media day. His one word answer was not only false by all accounts (see the recent tweet.by Dan Murphy, etc.), but he was not really answering the underlying q at all. The whole point of players being there was for them to talk about what happened on the ice and be accountable. If he wanted to avoid blaming injuries for his performance, then there were lots of ways doing that (see Cole, Hughes, etc.) that don't sound like an awkward teen forced to talk about their sex life at a family dinner. 

JPat may well be a prick, but the problem in this case didn't start with the question, and I'm not sure why some are giving H a free pass here...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, syntheticity said:

What narrative are you referring to? Dan Murphy's recent tweet might shed some light on what happened:

If this is indeed the case, then it would be more accurate to say that JPat was the one pushing back against a false narrative, not vice versa...

Hronek was obviously lying. All the players admitted they were injured but none of them used it as an excuse. Specifically Ian Cole. 

Hronek came across as a dick IMO. He’s probably like that in the dressing room too. I mean have we ever heard anyone say anything nice about Hronek?  Any players stick up for him?  

Also, if he’s wanting $8 million to ride shotgun with Hughes then he can go fuck himself. I’d rather bring in Tanev for half the price and trade Hronek for a top 6 forward. Willander will be anchoring the second pair anyways from 2025 onward. Willander is the next Charlie McAvoy. So we don’t realty need Hronek. Not at $8 million anyways. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek was obviously lying. All the players admitted they were injured but none of them used it as an excuse. Specifically Ian Cole. 

Hronek came across as a dick IMO. He’s probably like that in the dressing room too. I mean have we ever heard anyone say anything nice about Hronek?  Any players stick up

for him?  

Also, if he’s wanting $8 million to ride shotgun with Hughes then he can go fuck himself. I’d rather bring in Tanev for half the price and trade Hronek for a top 6 forward. Willander will be anchoring the second pair anyways from 2025 onward. Willander is the next Charlie McAvoy. So we don’t realty need Hronek. Not at $8 million anyways. 

Hughes didn't admit to an injury, and i've said all along I'd bet my last dollar on it.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Let's set aside outside perceptions of JPat for a moment and focus on the content and point of the questions being asked at a media availability day like this. 

Hronek knew the question about his injury status was coming. It's a standard question that was asked of other players by other reporters. Hronek also knew the intent of that particular question and the point of being available at media day. His one word answer was not only false by all accounts (see the recent tweet.by Dan Murphy, etc.), but he was not really answering the underlying q at all. The whole point of players being there was for them to talk about what happened on the ice and be accountable. If he wanted to avoid blaming injuries for his performance, then there were lots of ways doing that (see Cole, Hughes, etc.) that don't sound like an awkward teen forced to talk about their sex life at a family dinner. 

JPat may well be a prick, but the problem in this case didn't start with the question, and I'm not sure why some are giving H a free pass here...

I agree 100%. Every other player talked about their injuries or avoided using them as an excuse. Even Petey who’s not the greatest interview to begin with. 

Hronek was the only one who was hostile with the media. Had nothing to do with Paterson as Paterson asked questions to other players who were not hostile with him. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

the players don't owe reporters anything. Its not a courtroom ffs, Hronek isn't under any obligation to discuss his health with J Pat. 

Right, it's not a courtroom, but media responsibilities are part of the job and written into their contracts. You're also right that a player doesn't owe reporters personal details they don't wish to share, but that's not the problem here. The whole point of being there was for them to speak about their play on the ice and be accountable. That's part of what their contract requires of them and what they signed up for.  If H wanted to avoid blaming his play on injuries, then there lots of ways he could have done that, none of which require sounding like a bitter teen forced to talk about his dating life at a family dinner. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hronek's condition - whether or not he's injured - is not really for public consumption.  If he so chooses (and he did), then it's between him, the team's management and coaching staff, the team's medical staff, his own physician, and his agent.

Divulging anything more is at his prerogative and at the end of the day, it's really none of our business whether or not he's injured.

Plus JPat is not someone you'd want to share personal info with anyways.

Again, as I say in the post you're responding to, he didn't need to divulge personal injury details if he didn't want to. He could have done what Cole or others have done. That's not the issue here. 

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He spoke around it and his answer wasn’t clear to be honest. He did a great job of not actually admitting to an injury though. 

I think he's just extremely bad in "public speaking" but maybe I'm giving him too much the benefit of the doubt.  My gut feeling is that he's not willing to admit he was playing hurt for who knows what reason.  If his primary motive was $$$'s, you'd think he'd use that "excuse" considering this is a 'contract year' for him.  But again, I don't know the person (so I'm just speculating).

• Cheers 1